Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are the odds? - scottrinck.com (One of the most perfect photos you will ever see)

Mad Mike

Photo by: Scott Rinckenberger

What are the odds -Scott Rinckenberger Photography Blog

Scott-Rinckenberger-Meteor-marked.jpg

I’ve been shooting photos for 20 years. I’ve made my living in the profession for the last 15. I can count on one hand the number of times that everything lined up perfectly and a truly rare image was created. Now, I don’t want to toot my own horn about this shot, but the fact that, during a 30 second exposure, after a 10 second timer (during which I hopped down from the roof of my truck where the camera was on a tripod, and joined the scene by the fire), a meteor(or so they tell us) would enter the sky EXACTLY in the corner of the frame and explode in the very part of the frame that needed balance, just as I had finally worked out the correct exposure and lighting to match the foreground with the night sky, is beyond rare. It’s a non-chance. There is no way to plan for something like this. No way to even hope for it.

Follow the link for the whole amazing story.

Eh ... I understand that it's possible to change exposure on cameras. I'm questioning whether multiple images are required to get the exposure needed for the stars without getting massive over exposure from the camp lights.

No. That's a single 30 second exposure possibly not long after dusk with a little light still in the sky. It looks like a small fire and some other lights were used to light the foreground. He may have used dim lights or something like a rear curtain sinc. Which is just a fancy way of saying a long exposure for the stars with quick flash at the end. At any rate he says that he had taken a few test shots to get the exposure right before the final shot.

No. That's a single 30 second exposure possibly not long after dusk with a little light still in the sky. It looks like a small fire and some other lights were used to light the foreground. He may have used dim lights or something like a rear curtain sinc. Which is just a fancy way of saying a long exposure for the stars with quick flash at the end. At any rate he says that he had taken a few test shots to get the exposure right before the final shot.

I question whether that is a real picture without any touch up.

I like that fact that it was the closing shot of his journey.

It would be pretty bold - or foolish - of him to risk his reputation as a professional photographer by touting an image on his own blog that he faked. 

My question would be what is the dotted line cruising the sky from the right?

Awesome photo.

~Bang

Aircraft. Flashing lights leave a trail of dots. If you zoom in you can see there are actually three colors of dots. Red, green, and white. and if you count them ( I roughed it ) they each flash about once per second. ( About 30 dots per light during a 30 second exposure ).

Kind of reminds me of  "rods". Back in the late 90s - 2000, there was a big buzz among UF the crazies claiming that they had filmed some sort of previously undiscovered life form. I took one glance and called them for what they were... bugs flying in front of the camera.

There is no optical evidence of any touch up. And..... there is a date time stamp on the photo that matches the meteor reported in So California.

Was that a meteor over Southern California? - CNN.com

The photo looks staged because it was. The photographer set up the campsite with lighting to be photographed. It just happens that the meteor made s surprise appearance.

I like that fact that it was the closing shot of his journey.

I like his reaction... "I'm done"

I have on rare occasions as an artist said the same exact thing when a project comes together so well you can almost here a click as it falls into place. It's a rare and wonderful feeling when you know you have done something special and there is no possible way to make it any better. :)

Only question I have is about the tree...it looks like it grew straight up out of the rock? 

Beautiful pic.

That's sand which is a very similar color to the rock. Joshua Tree is well worth a visit if you are in the area east of LA. Great desert hiking and rock climbing.

Mad Mike, I also thought the "trail of dots" was an airplane.  Since I live on a flight path, I see flashing lights all the time when I'm walking Dancer at night.

It is a wonderful image.  I also like the tent that's lit in the background.  Probably took him a while to set it all up, including the test shots.  I only hope that some day I can take a photo as beautiful as this one.

Archived