Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ProFootballFocus ranks Redskins O-Line 4th best in the league!

aLuck

he's probably an Andrew Luck fan... it seems most people believe the hype with Luck, but if you look at his stats i dont see the next Peyton, he is closer to the next Alex Smith

I don't think thst is fair. Andrew Luck is good. I just don't understand why the guy has come here. They have alot to be happy about in Indy. Go enjoy it on their forums. Trolls are unhappy people and if they guy have to get his jollies by trolling this forum them maybe he isn't so happy with Luck and his colts for some reason? I know we are going to be fine in the future and that these struggles will only make it sweeter.

Offensive lines in the NFL are horrible...ask Gruden who rails on this weekly. The Colts as one example are utterly putrid-- just horrid. Seattle isn't much better. We clearly have superior OL's than those two... and I'd say the majority of the league is behind us. 4th best? That seems like a stretch, but I'd say undoubtedly in the top third.

Alright, let's look at the numbers in context - when you don't have access to the full stats, their rankings look extremely skewed.

Here is the OL's individual grades:

The full PFF Grades on our O-Line this year:

Williams +21.1 Overall, +14.7 PB, +2.4 RB

Polumbus +17.6 Overall, +12.2 PB, +0.4 RB

Lichtensteiger +2.0 Overall, -1.2 PB, -0.1 RB

Montgomery +3.7 Overall, -5.9 PB, +7.4 RB

Chris Chester -10.5 Overall, -10.2 PB, -2.6 RB

This dovetails exactly with what the OL actually does in games - very good run blockers, poor pass blockers with the exception of Trent and Tyler (!). The problem with the ranking is not that PFF's grades are wrong - it's that they rank the OLs without adjusting for context. And because the rankings are an aggregate, the excellent play of our tackles (and the excellent play of the line as a whole sans Chester in terms of run blocking) is actually masking the poor play of the interior when you aggregate the stats for a ranking. This is particularly evident with Monty, who's still a very good run blocker but is a terrible pass blocker.

Alright, let's look at the numbers in context - when you don't have access to the full stats, their rankings look extremely skewed.

This dovetails exactly with what the OL actually does in games - very good run blockers, poor pass blockers with the exception of Trent and Tyler (!). The problem with the ranking is not that PFF's grades are wrong - it's that they rank the OLs without adjusting for context. And because the rankings are an aggregate, the excellent play of our tackles is actually masking the poor play of the interior when you aggregate the stats for a ranking. This is particularly evident with Monty, who's still a very good run blocker but is a terrible pass blocker.

No doubt, but here is what you have to remember... Most teams don't have Trent at LT. Not even close. So other teams who are stronger in the middle might have a LT that is constantly getting toasted--- and of all the positions on the OL, the blind side is generally the most important and the most likely to derail the production of the line. We have an all pro LT, so RG basically never has to worry about pressure from that side (rarely at least).

Other teams deal with constant pressure on the edge on almost every play. Trent alone puts us ahead of many lines... And when you factor in that Tyler P is having a really nice season, our pass protection is probably middling overall.

I wonder if this rating was influenced by the fact that the Skins have a lot of plays with 2 man routes, for keeping more players in to provide additional help for pass protection or run support.

Some folks may not like site, but it does point out the trouble the Skins are having with the Montgomery-Chester tandem, and to a lesser extent the Montgomery-Lichtensteiger tandem.  (It sort of bears out what I've been seeing during televised games.)

Offensive lines in the NFL are horrible...ask Gruden who rails on this weekly. The Colts as one example are utterly putrid-- just horrid. Seattle isn't much better. We clearly have superior OL's than those two... and I'd say the majority of the league is behind us. 4th best? That seems like a stretch, but I'd say undoubtedly in the top third.

Figures you would use the Colts and Seahawks in your assessment.

This dovetails exactly with what the OL actually does in games - very good run blockers, poor pass blockers with the exception of Trent and Tyler (!). The problem with the ranking is not that PFF's grades are wrong - it's that they rank the OLs without adjusting for context. And because the rankings are an aggregate, the excellent play of our tackles (and the excellent play of the line as a whole sans Chester in terms of run blocking) is actually masking the poor play of the interior when you aggregate the stats for a ranking. This is particularly evident with Monty, who's still a very good run blocker but is a terrible pass blocker.

That seems more accurate.  Although I feel like Lichtensteiger and Chester should have slightly worse pass blocking.  Whatever.

If I had to guess, we're releasing Chester in the offseason, he's really not worth his Cap Hit.  We'd save like 2.5 million by doing this.

Why the **** can't we put Leribus, Compton, or Gettis on the field when literally everyone to the right of Trent can't stand their ground?

We don't see them every day in practice and its not impossible they could be worse than whats on the field - but its unlikely. I'd play both guards at least to see what we have and if they should be on the roster next season.

We have to get bigger across the O'Line - we just can not hold up physically in pass protection. If we do nothing else in the offseason we have to get bigger - and better - across the line. 

Clearly, their 40 times are being heavily factored in.

Conversely, they are getting credit for yards after contact from our beast breaktackle back, Almo.

Having our mobile RG3 stand behind an immobile mobile OL, is literally killing this team. It is so short sighted, pushing all in on RG3, in a league that we are told requires pocket passing, and this is the OL Mike the expert builds. Its mind boggling, and its why its dumb to make a coach the GM. There are no checks and balances. Allen just laughs and smiles.

Why won't a reporter lurking here, ask Mike about his mobile OL and how well they do creating a pocket vs the modern day, very aggressive defenses? And are they a good fit in a time they are asking RG3 to stand in the pocket and learn. It is crushing his confidence. He may be a better player for it one day, assuming he can make it to that day.

Maybe they meant the fourth best line on the field on game day behind the other team's lines and our sad D-line? They suck. Undersized... not physical... not even dirty like the OL in Denver under Shanny previously use to be. Not that I endorse being punks on the field, but I would prefer the opponent being pissed off at us every once in a while rather than defenders feeling sorry for our QB and picking him up off of the mat in a prime time debacle where they also literally kick him in the balls. What a disgusting display of football last night.

Archived