Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier's critical words upset Redskins after 24-7 defeat to Bills

TK

Spurrier's critical words upset Redskins after 24-7 defeat to Bills

Coach questions effort after third loss in row

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Warner Hessler

Newport News Daily Press

Originally published October 20, 2003

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- A Washington Redskins season that began with so much promise -- two opening victories and a 3-1 record -- appears to be spinning out of control before the halfway mark.

They lost their third consecutive game yesterday, and they did it in such a way that suggests coach Steve Spurrier has more to do during the bye week than just work on the basics and correct blown assignments.

Spurrier questioned his team's effort and desire after it was destroyed, 24-7, by the Buffalo Bills in a game that wasn't anywhere as close as the score indicated. And some of the players fired back by questioning Spurrier's ability to make such comments.

"We've got to regroup and find out who really wants to play," Spurrier said after a listless effort in which the Redskins were outgained, 432-169. "We've got to find out who wants to compete and play the game because it was embarrassing the way we played, no question about it.

"... If we've got a bunch of guys not doing that [playing hard], then we've got to go out on the street and pick up guys who will play hard."

Some of the players tried to be diplomatic about it when Spurrier's remarks were relayed in the dressing room.

"That's Coach," said quarterback Patrick Ramsey, who left in the fourth quarter with a bruised wrist. "I don't know what he's thinking. In no way would I ever say that my teammates didn't put forth effort, not that I'm disagreeing with Coach Spurrier."

Some, like outspoken linebacker Jessie Armstead, chose to avoid expressing their feelings at all. Armstead still believes the New York Giants allowed him to leave as a free agent two years ago because of his outspoken nature.

"I used to have times when I said what I felt," he said, "but I'm through with that. It got me out of New York, and I'm not going to let it get me out of here."

Fellow linebacker Jeremiah Trotter wasn't as restrained.

"In truth, you can't tell from just watching on the sidelines," he said in a pointed reference to Spurrier. "I don't question any man on this team for his fight. Everybody's got an opinion, but everybody who steps on the field will fight to the end."

If, as Trotter said, the Redskins fought to the end, then they were certainly outplayed from the beginning by a team that was trying to regroup after two consecutive losses and being charged with "sleepwalking" by owner Ralph Wilson after a 30-3 loss to the New York Jets.

"I think [the players] felt a sense of urgency, and they couldn't wait to play today," said Buffalo coach Gregg Williams.

The domination began with the Bills driving 68 yards with the opening kickoff and taking a 3-0 lead on a 20-yard field goal by Rian Lindell. Buffalo had nine first downs and 138 yards in the first quarter to six plays and five yards for the Redskins.

Tailback Travis Henry, who ran through the Redskins' porous defense for 167 yards, scored the first of his two touchdowns early in the second quarter to make it 10-0, a lead the Bills maintained at halftime.

Though badly outplayed, the Redskins kept the crowd of 73,149 from starting the celebration too early as they closed the gap to 10-7 early in the third on a 25-yard pass from Ramsey to Rod Gardner down the right sideline. But they never threatened to take the lead after that.

Quarterback Drew Bledsoe froze the Redskins safeties with play-action and dropped a 10-yard TD pass into Josh Reed's hands to make it 17-7 at 5:36, and Henry ended a 62-yard drive with a 14-yard scoring run at 10:24 of the fourth.

Ramsey, who had another painful week playing behind a line that couldn't pick up blitzes and stunts, finally left the game with 9:02 remaining when his right hand was hit by defensive end Aaron Schobel's helmet after throwing a pass.

Ramsey was diagnosed with a bruised hip and wrist, injuries that Spurrier said should be healed before Washington returns to action Nov. 2 in Dallas.

It remains to be seen whether the other problems that hamper the team will heal by then.

The Newport News (Va.) Daily Press is a Tribune Publishing newspaper.http://www.sunspot.net/sports/football/bal-sp.redskins20oct20,0,1245462.story?coll=bal-sports-football

Well SS certainly hasen't gain my respect yet but I think he's spot on here. For the last decade or so poor effort and attitude, unfortunately, have been the hallmark of Skins teams. No player likes to be called out like that by their coach but come on call a spade a spade. No more Pu$$y footing around either you want to play or you don't.

Originally posted by Red&BlueRivalry

Sounds like Spurrier has almost lost the team. If these are the types of comments coming out of the locker room the rest of the year, it wouldn't be wise to bring Spurrier back. They have no respect for the guy.

They don't have respect for ANYONE! Doesn't matter WHO coaches, they're undisciplined and I'm glad Spurrier said what he said. F_ck them! Trotter said they fight to the end? WHAT???????????????????????? You've GOT to be kidding me!

As much as it pains me to say it, looks like Dallas' pursuit of Parcells was a much bigger coup than I had thought. Look what he's doing with basically the same talent that had gone 5-11 for 3 straight years.

At the same time, our beloved Skins are talent-laden but still look like the same bunch of undisciplined oafs that they've resembled for more than a decade. Will this ever change?

WOWWWWW!!!!! gentleman this is a team (not a team just a group of men not on the same page who show little respect for one another) we are in big trouble. The coach does not believe in the players and the players do not believe in the coach. I hope I am wrong after reading that article

Originally posted by GoSkins

They don't have respect for ANYONE! Doesn't matter WHO coaches, they're undisciplined and I'm glad Spurrier said what he said. F_ck them! Trotter said they fight to the end? WHAT???????????????????????? You've GOT to be kidding me!

Totally agree... They just want to coach themselves...

You can blame Spurrier, the system or whatever, but it's the freakin players. There is a pattern here.

The coach does not believe in the players and the players do not believe in the coach.

This seems pretty damn accurate unfortunately. But while i've heard SS stand up and be accountable several times this season with words like "we have to coach better", "we have to call more running plays", "we probably threw it too much today" etc., not ONCE have you heard any of the players stand up for the coach and say something like "we're playing for the coach" or "we need to do a better job of doing what coach wants".

Well...this exchange will certainly prove to be the tipping point in the season. A bye week, the coach calling out the players for poor effort.... and the players exclaiming they're fighting out there. Once they review tape and see how many stupid mistakes, blown assignments, blocking whifs.... etc..etc...etc... than Spurrier will have the ammo to start cutting guys and benching others.

He has to take control of this team...... it's his way or the highway. Isn't that what Parcells does? Why is he considered a coaching guru.... but Spurrier calls out guys and it's no fair?

Im not in favor of letting SOS go, but if we get another coach in here we need a kick ass no non-sense coach. (Not Marty) A coach who wont have the country club atmosphere during camps and will bench his star player in a heartbeat(Lavar). Im gonna start the Art Shell support drive :)

The discipline started to leave when Norv came here. We went so long with out it that's why they had such a problem with Marty. Discipline is the key and this 2 week break has to be the turning point for the coaches and players to get it together.

In the begining of the season it looked like we would be getting to an easier part of our schedule, but not we are going up against 5-1 teams.

As for Parcells, I was worried day one when he was hired by Dallas because he has done this with every team he has gone to. He has a knack for getting guys to play on the same page.

I may be stating the obvious, but it certainly looks like SS has lost his team. No coach should so openly criticize his players. that's for the locker room and behind close doors. when players and coaches start talking and exchangin words through the media, that's a bad sign. Maybe they need to have a closed door meeting and let everythign out and then get back to work. the players might not believe in the coaches and the system and vice versa, so each side needs to get it out and over with.

even though I never thought SS's system could work in the NFL, they have to be better than this with the talent you have.

I gotta believe that SS and the coaches HAVE been calling out players "behind closed doors" for weeks now. It hasn't worked. Like it or not, the coach is THE MAN on any team. He must command respect from his players, and if it means calling 'em to the carpet, then so be it. If a player can't handle it, C Ya!

I played for 12 years, for good coaches and bad, and the best teams I played on were teams where there was no question who the leader of the team was...Coach. I played on talented teams that didn't win, because the players lacked respect for the coach, and I've been a part of some teams that had limited talent, but played way above their collective heads because Coach got us ALL playing together.

As I watched yesterday's game, I turned to my friend and remarked, "this looks like a Norv Turner team. No heart, no passion, when we need it most."

I, for one, am glad Spurrier called out his players, because from where I was sitting it sure looked like they quit yesterday...inexcusable. My only regret is that it took him this long to do it. I thought it should have been done about week 4 LAST YEAR.

This bevy of mistakes, penalties, and missed assignments falls squarely on the shoulders of the players. They are the ones perpetrating it, they are the ones who must overcome it. I vote for a week of full pad practices, with suicides for dessert. If ya can't coach it into 'em, beat it into 'em.

if the fourth quarter of the Bills game on defense constituted 'fighting' hard to Trotter than I am afraid this man is not going to be of much help in getting this team to the postseason and the Super Bowl in the future.

in fact the $7 million bonus we gave him, based on what he has done to date, appears to be one of our biggest mistakes since we gave Deion $8 million back in 2000.

most teams have middle linebackers they are paying mid level wages to, and we go out and give him top dollar and really, what have we gotten in return?

he is a poor blitzer, gets caught out of position in coverage despite good speed for a middle backer and takes unnecessary and stupid penalties when goaded by opponents.

yep it just got as ugly as it gets...

for one I don't agree with Spurrier on not playing hard...they didn''t give up nowhere near like I saw with Norv.

but......they are not disciplined at all and that falls on the coaching staff. 100%...

What is Spurrier to do..he hadn't a clue?? (call Joe Gibbs?)

Norv turned a blind eye to everything adn had zero discipline.

Marty reemed em a new a-hole and they revolted for 5 games.

Spurrier is a lot like Norv except he might not be the right man for the job either..but I have seen instances where I completely thought he was learning and doing well.

So what the heck is the problem here..I can honestly say i haven't a clue..and it's making me sick.........

:doh:

Archived