Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.Com: RG3, That's on Me (blame game put to rest)

MustangSteve

Glad all the drama is cleared out of the locker room!

"Everybody is looking for a story. Everybody wants to see drama," Santana Mossicon-article-link.gif said, sitting in front of his locker, shaking his head. "Everyone wants to see confusion amongst a losing team and that’s not where we are."

It has been a trying week for the Washington Redskins, who fell to 3-7 with a loss in Philadelphia on Sunday that began and ended in disappointing fashion.

The Redskins trailed 17-0 at halftime and could not get on the board until fourth quarter heroics put them back within one score. With the ball in Eagles territory in the final minute of the game, Robert Griffin IIIicon-article-link.gif dropped back on 3rd-and 1, getting pressure in his face almost immediately. Finding no one open, he back-pedaled and attempted to throw the ball out of the back of the end zone. Instead, it was intercepted, sealing another frustrating defeat.

After the game, Griffin III said he tried to throw it away and it didn't work. None of his receivers were open on the play and he needed to get rid of the ball or be sacked.On Tuesday, veteran receiver Santana Moss, who was split wide to the right on the play, suggested he wanted to hear more accountability for the result of the play.

After causing a stir in the media, Moss clarified those comments on Wednesday.

Click link for rest   http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Robert-Griffin-III-Thats-On-Me/72eee0e2-82b9-4f72-ba39-25edcbd56b5e

This reads like damage control. However I don't think the issue was as big as it was made to be either.

Glad to hear Moss and Griffin talked it out. Hope to see better play from both.

I am so tired of hearing about the drama. I almost envy Atlanta--they were a Super Bowl contender that is now behind the Bucs...and they get less than 1% of the over-analysis and media-driven drama that we get.

I am so tired of hearing about the drama. I almost envy Atlanta--they were a Super Bowl contender that is now behind the Bucs...and they get less than 1% of the over-analysis and media-driven drama that we get.

I was just thinking this last night. Somehow the Redskins are the halftime story meanwhile Atlanta is nosediving into last place in the division after being many analysts pick to go to the Super Bowl....

If what has happened to Atlanta this year had happened to us, the fan base would be crying to fire everybody, scrap the entire team, trade Matt Ryan since he can't win "the big one" and now can't even win any, sell the team, sign Michael Vick (ok, maybe not that last one..)

They've been hit so hard with injuries, and need a little more talent on defense. 

Every year there are a few "good" teams that have bad years, for a variety of reasons. Then the next year, they're up and kicking again.

matt ryan has the complexion for the protection.. its that simple

Let me say this in black and white as to alleviate any concerns of racism in this statement:

Shut the hell up.  You made an account just to play the race card, and it's not only really ****ing annoying, it's inflammatory, attention-seeking, and grossly inaccurate.

You are such a disservice to those continuing to fight for racial equality because you take this non-racial situation and turn it into racism and thereby dilute actual acts and cultures of racism to continue to pervade this country.  Your pathetic attempt at stirring the pot is counterproductive to your entire ****ing point.

Now go troll somewhere else.

Back on topic...

I don't think this is damage control. I think it's just two dudes telling it like it is and not letting the media spin a story out of control. Which may or may not work, but I still think it is the truth.

I agree. I think it is basically a bunch of frustrated/embarrased cats in a locker room. They're all grown men, and some stuff will boil to the surface occasionally, but as long as they're all still together, and busting their asses, usually it's forgive and forget.

I think basically at this point, some people just want there to be controversy, for whatever reason. I think the issues for this team overwhelmingly have more to do with talent/scheme, then guys with no heart/leadership. It's beyond annoying at this point. Leave it up to the media at this point to take stuff and run with it (not that the players aren't blameless. Sometimes when you're frustrated, or get caught up trying to explain stuff, you say something you didn't mean to). 

There is an absurd microscope on this team at the moment. Part of that comes from losing, part of that comes with the stuff that happened in the offseason (which definitely could have been handled better), part of that comes with the local media, and part of it comes from fans who (over the course of the last 10-12 years) are simply conditioned to believe that the team sucks because guys aren't giving their all, and they have a poisonous locker room filled with "Me" guys. That was the case in the past, many times, but I don't believe that is what's going on now. And it's frustrating as hell that so many people seemingly cannot/will not accept that as a possibility.

I mean just ask B Mitch, who once again on 980, opined that the Skins are "Too worried about the media" after they played Mikes presser where, when asked a question, he said that he thinks that the locker room is absolutely still together, and that certain players express themselves differently than others, but that it doesn't necessarily mean that there is discord. Thats all everything ever boils down to with him. Heart and leadership. It's a bull**** copout, and way too many people have hopped on that train as of late.

LMAO

No my friend it's not that, but I"m sure you are not the only one who thinks it is. 

It's called playing QB in a huge media market.

There are a lot of reasons for the difference.  In my opinion, "reality rehab"  "all in for week one" "will play or won't play in pre-season" "will start or won't start week 1" "subway, adidas commercials," coming off a ROY season all contribute.

The average non-football fan could not pick Matt Ryan out of crowd.  I guarantee you those same people know who RG3 is though.

it's about popularity.  Now we can debate the merits of whether or not that is good for the team and RG3, but RG3 has been marketed, and has marketed himself in such a way that you are supposed to know who he is warts and all. 

Atlanta is boring (the team not the town). The Redskins rewrote the book in the NFL last year with the RO. Also, the haters like to watch our team fail so why not give the haters what they want?

I was just thinking this last night. Somehow the Redskins are the halftime story meanwhile Atlanta is nosediving into last place in the division after being many analysts pick to go to the Super Bowl....

A 23-year old QB being smeared as a "me-first Diva" or a Falcons teams riddled with injuries? Which story makes for better TV? After all we're all about money right? Ratings = Money.

Matt Ryan also has a 58-31 career record so he has a lil more leeway.

I don't know if you watched the game last night but the Falcons had a 3rd and goal and Ryan took off running for the goalline. Instead of diving to the endzone he slid feet first at the 3 yard line to a chorus of boos.

However, I do think your comment holds some merit. I've noticed that when a black QB struggles the same drivel is spewed from the talking heads and fans such as "He can't read defenses, he's selfish, all he can do is run," etc. Cam Newton had to deal with it last year and now Robert Griffin III.

How often to you hear a white QB face those same criticisms? I live in the Baltimore area and I'm very familiar with the unibrow Joe Flacco. Flacco has a QB rating of 75 and has more turnovers then touchdowns. Why is'nt he being labeled as a selfish diva or he cant' read defenses? After all Flacco took that big contract which prevented the team from resigning core players from the 2012 team.

Ask Doug Williams about the time a reporter asked him "How long have you been a black quarterback?"

However, I do think your comment holds some merit. I've noticed that when a black QB struggles the same drivel is spewed from the talking heads and fans such as "He can't read defenses, he's selfish, all he can do is run," etc. Cam Newton had to deal with it last year and now Robert Griffin III.

How often to you hear a white QB face those same criticisms? I live in the Baltimore area and I'm very familiar with the unibrow Joe Flacco. Flacco has a QB rating of 75 and has more turnovers then touchdowns. Why is'nt he being labeled as a selfish diva or he cant' read defenses? After all Flacco took that big contract which prevented the team from resigning core players from the 2012 team.

Ask Doug Williams about the time a reporter asked him "How long have you been a black quarterback?"

Expertly put and a great example by using Flacco, a guy who anyone (which is a lot of Washington fans who keep up with the Ravens because they're the other team in town) can tell has zero football intelligence and just has a big cannon arm. Does anyone know his wonderlic score without a Google search? I bet you can remember the clamoring for Cam's score, though. 

(for anyone who was going to Google, I'll save you the effort. Flacco scored a 27, 10 points lower than Kaep, a guy who's intelligence is often questioned. I personally believe it's the tattoos, attitude and skin tone.)

That is why I just can't deal with the media when we are losing like this. The objectivity goes out the window and everybody just goes on the attack to get the best story that they can. I don't know what's going to happen if we lose Monday night. I think things are going to be even more ridiculous.

It's not a matter of if we lose, we are going to lose big Monday Night. Get ready for the fire all coaches and RG3 was a mistake threads. Oh wait, we already have them.

BH,

I have to disagree on this note whole heartedly.  Why?  Well just from a historical standpoint... There have been probably 10 if not 50 times more white QB's under center in NFL History than there has been black QB's.  Could this huge difference be due to racism?  Perhaps, but more likely it had to do with where and black athletes first flourished in the game which was many of the speed oriented skill positions.  RB's and DB's.  Shortly there after into the Offensive and Defensive lines and lastly QB's, which they still don't dominate in total numbers as reflected in every other position number wise.  I again don't think that this has to do with race either as Coaches and Owners alike just want to win and football more than any sport the game is constantly changing on both sides of the ball.

But I digress.  If you look at the sheer number of white qb's vs black qbs the difference is staggering therefore the number of white QB's that have washed out and failed is that much if not percentage wise much greater for the white QB's.  And what have they been accused of?  Exactly the same failings that you portend is black Qb's are accused of.  That they can't read defenses, can go through progressions, lock onto one receiver, have a lousy pocket presence and one more... that the vast majority of black QB's don't get labeled... lacks mobility.... Ala Sonny Jurgenson and a host of others in modern times.

Those fundamental skills are required of every QB that wants to play, start, or last very long in the NFL (Not For Long) game.  It's the lack of those skills that kills every QB. 

white or black      or    black or white

With the Redskins. I expect the unexpected. The last 24 years have taught me that.

Earlier in the season I would have taken the Skins, but now I expect Hasletts defense to get shredded because it does every week and our receivers are not going to school the 49ers defense, that's for damn sure. I think this will be our worst beating of the year.

That is why I just can't deal with the media when we are losing like this. The objectivity goes out the window and everybody just goes on the attack to get the best story that they can. I don't know what's going to happen if we lose Monday night. I think things are going to be even more ridiculous.

That is why I have stopped listening to sports radio after losses. My life is much improved. I just go away and come back on Sunday hoping for the best. Dwelling on all of that negativity is just not healthy or productive. I can't do it anymore.

That is why I have stopped listening to sports radio after losses. My life is much improved. I just go away and come back on Sunday hoping for the best. Dwelling on all of that negativity is just not healthy or productive. I can't do it anymore.

Same here. I used to listen to Cowherd/Mike & Mike religously, until I realized that is was making me angry. I probably haven't watched an episode of PTI since mid summer. I couldn't take it anymore ( due to being a fan of the Skins and the Heat, meaning that everytime I turned to ESPN, they had more and more BS/overanalysis to spew. Unfortunately, we as tv viewers collectively respond more to attention grabbing headlines, and "Media personalities" giving their "Expert opinions". Facts are boring.

Anyways, I've stopped watching them ( I haven't even watched a single MNF/SNF game since the last time we played on either). I simply do not care anymore, and I feel a lot better not having to constantly be bombarded by it.

Archived