Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is there a bigger sore loser in the NFL than Tom Brady?

Switchgear

Watching the end of the game tonight, the way Brady stomped off the field berating the officials, I couldn't help wondering if there are other players that act like this that I just haven't noticed, or if he really is the worst offender. I get that he doesn't like losing, no one does, and especially not pro players. But where is the dignity? The respect for other players?

It just seems to me like whenever things don't go exactly the way Tom Brady wants, he turns into a big whiny baby.

Watching the end of the game tonight, the way Brady stomped off the field berating the officials, I couldn't help wondering if there are other players that act like this that I just haven't noticed, or if he really is the worst offender. I get that he doesn't like losing, no one does, and especially not pro players. But where is the dignity? The respect for other players?

It just seems to me like whenever things don't go exactly the way Tom Brady wants, he turns into a big whiny baby.

Robert Griffin the Third. NO ACCOUNTABILITY.

/End Sarcasm

Watching him use the phrase "We" almost exclusively through his PC and barely make mention of the throw that went too short in the end zone at the end of the game was almost poetic based on the way our QB has been raked over the coals on here while Brady is hoisted up as an example of a great leader.

Fact: Brady has reason to complain.

the officiating in the NFL is absolutely atrocious. 

the officials, more than ever, are inserting themselves into games and affecting the outcome on calls, or non-calls.

There is no rhyme or reason to any of it, and it is a HELL of a BIG problem.

These morons tack 15 yardfs on plays arbitrarily, they target certain players for fouls, and according to guys on our team, they hold personal grudges against players that they allow to spill over onto the field.

It's completely unacceptable. The incompetence and inconsistency of the officials is bad enough, but coupled with an exploding rulebook that allows them to call a penalty on literally any play, whether it's there or not, is KILLING the competitive balance of the game.

Brady, and every single player in the NFL SHOULD berate these incompetent assholes, and they should talk to their union boss about maybe fixing this actual real and serious problem rather than worry over whether rookies are being hazed or players call themselves names in the locker room.

Priorities are so totally ****ed up.

~Bang

The call was beyond terrible.

And i think just about anyone else would have reacted much much worse than he did. 

If Brady steps up like a man and takes the hit to make the throw, the play turns out different. Instead he half-steps back to avoid the rusher and heaves an "Eli" off his back foot and it's game over.

And b/c of that PI shouldn't have been called? Come on man. 

Would love to know how you would have felt if that was the Skins.

If Brady steps up like a man and takes the hit to make the throw, the play turns out different. Instead he half-steps back to avoid the rusher and heaves an "Eli" off his back foot and it's game over.

im sure your manly self would have no problem stepping up into the pocket on an NFL field. right? You are a big man, Im sure you can handle it.

The call was beyond terrible.

And i think just about anyone else would have reacted much much worse than he did. 

And b/c of that PI shouldn't have been called? Come on man. 

Would love to know how you would have felt if that was the Skins.

The NFL rule is there is no PI if a defender intercepts or knocks down the ball before the ball gets to the receiver.   The ball was underthrown and the receiver was too far behind it to come that far back.  Plus he would have had LK and RL between himself and the ball.

I'm not sure about a holding call past 5 yards beyond the los and LK could possibly have been called for hands to the face.   The Patriots would have had one more shot from the 13 yard line so who's to say they would have scored.

The NFL rule is there is no PI if a defender intercepts or knocks down the ball before the ball gets to the receiver.   The ball was underthrown and the receiver was too far behind it to come that far back.  Plus he would have had LK and RL between himself and the ball.

Are you sure about that?

There's no PI if a defender tips the ball before the PI occurs.  I've never heard of the rule as you describe it excusing PI that occurs before the ball is touched, based on where the defender is in relation to the receiver.  Link?

Whatever it was, a penalty absolutely should have been called, imo, and Brady had every right to be pissed.  I sure as hell don't blame him for it, and wouldn't call him a sore loser over being livid about that call.  <thinks back to how much love Kyle got on this board for chasing down a replacement ref and cursing him out after a blown call cost us the chance to tie a game last year>  http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8427790/washington-redskins-kyle-shanahan-fined-25k-actions-vs-refs

Are you sure about that?

There's no PI if a defender tips the ball before the PI occurs.  I've never heard of the rule as you describe it excusing PI that occurs before the ball is touched, based on where the defender is in relation to the receiver.  Link?

Whatever it was, a penalty absolutely should have been called, imo, and Brady had every right to be pissed.  I sure as hell don't blame him for it, and wouldn't call him a sore loser over being livid about that call.  <thinks back to how much love Kyle got on this board for chasing down a replacement ref and cursing him out after a blown call cost us the chance to tie a game last year>  http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8427790/washington-redskins-kyle-shanahan-fined-25k-actions-vs-refs

I was going by something that  I misread on wiki. 

Looking closer at the actual NFL rule book I think this play falls under

Rule 8 Section 5 Article 3

Permissable Acts

c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players,

Referee's call as to whether Gronk could have caught the ball.  We'll never know but he would have had Lester and Keek between him and the ball. 

Permissable Acts

c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players,

Referee's call as to whether Gronk could have caught the ball.  We'll never know but he would have had Lester and Keek between him and the ball. 

Permissable Acts

Referee's call as to whether Gronk could have caught the ball.  We'll never know but he would have had Lester and Keek between him and the ba

It wasn't PI ..it was HOLDING.  Matters not..where the ball was.

It wasn't PI ..it was HOLDING.  Matters not..where the ball was.

I posted in another thread that I thought holding could have been called.   But that would have just put the ball at the 13 yard line and Brady would have had one last shot at the endzone.  Through last week their redzone scoring percentage was less than 50% so who's to say it would have changed the outcome of the game.

Awful call.  That was blatant holding and should have been called.  I'm also sick of hearing about Tom Brady being a sore loser.  Where are the threads about Manning being a sore loser?  What about RG3?  All 3 QB's are always barking in Refs ears (especially Manning).  If Tom Brady is a sore loser, then I will take a 3 time superbowl champ who is a sore loser anyday of the week.  Competitors compete.  That was an embarrassing no call and the Pats are getting the short end of the stick this year (see 2nd Jets game).  

That was an awful way to end a game.

Gronkowski was held and pushed off his route, his "route" went within a yard of where the ball fell.

Gronkowski had a linebacker facing away from the ball wrap both arms around his body and pushing him backwards.

In the replay you can clear see, Gronkowski alter his path and his steps as he looks at the ball, but somehow something (maybe the 250 linebacker) makes him drift away from the ball.

The ball landed at most 3 yards from where Gronkowski ended up.

A flag was thrown.

How do the refs discuss that play and decide to pick up the flag? At the very least, if Kuechly wasn't holding and interfering with Gronkowski he would have been able to jump and stretch out, possibly getting near the ball and possibly catching it.

That was an awful way to end a game.

Gronkowski was held and pushed off his route, his "route" went within a yard of where the ball fell.

Gronkowski had a linebacker facing away from the ball wrap both arms around his body and push him backwards.

In the replay you can clear see, Gronkowski alter his path and his steps as he looks at the ball, but somehow something (maybe the 250 linebacker) makes him drift away from the ball.

The ball landed at most 3 yards from where Gronkowski ended up.

A flag was thrown.

How do the refs discuss that play and decide to pick up the flag? At the very least, if Kuechly wasn't holding and interfering with Gronkowski he would have been able to jump and stretch out, possibly getting near the ball and possibly catching it.

His momentum was pulling him away from the underthrown ball. It doesn't matter that the PI started near where the ball ended up, what matter is Gronk ran passed that spot, PI or not. He wouldn't have gotten back.

If Gronk was trying for the ball and Kuechly interfered with him, they probably would have upheld it. But it looked like he was giving up. Kuechly was in his face and he just watched the INT happen. It has as much to do with what his body is doing as it does with where he's positioned. And he was just standing there. There was contact, the LB had his arms around him, but he wasn't getting bear hugged, he could have at least lunged for it.

I posted in another thread that I thought holding could have been called.   But that would have just put the ball at the 13 yard line and Brady would have had one last shot at the endzone.  Through last week their redzone scoring percentage was less than 50% so who's to say it would have changed the outcome of the game.

It would have given them a chance.  I know I sure as hell wish we could have gotten one more chance on fourth down on Sunday vs. losing any chance with a turnover.  It doesn't matter who says what about chances.  the fact is, if the refs had called that play correctly, then the Patriots would have still had a chance.

^^ You were going great until you mentioned the Jets game. That was absolutely the right call.

^^ You were going great until you mentioned the Jets game. That was absolutely the right call.

The NFL ITSELF admitted it was the wrong call and apologized to the Patriots.  How is that the right call?

Archived