Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dear RG3... an open letter and tough love from a fan.

Mad Mike

It's because we are losing. He was the exact same person last season, talked just as much, celebrated just as much and we all loved him and his personality. Clearly, we don't know what it is like to root for a team with a marketable superstar that moves the needle in the world of 2013.

Some did, some didn't - It's not something I'm going out of my way to talk about but since the topics are being brought up a lot then I figured I'd give my opinion.

I think he talks to much, agree to disagree, but that doesn't stop the fact that I support him and like him.  I think he's a tremendous talent and can do special things with this franchise.

I don't care about the Subway ads whatsoever, I am specifically talking about the Adidas "All in for Week 1" campaign.  Everything involving him and being ready for Week 1 was a mess this offseason.  So much distraction and putting the coaches in a bad spot.  And he clearly wasn't ready for week 1 as we saw in that debacle vs. Philadelphia.

So a franchise qb who is the face of the organization is busting his ass to get ready for the season is a distraction ?

Did you ever watch some of the things that man did to get ready for the season ? WOW.

Between the rehab work, the pass throwing sessions and studying film and the play book, its a wonder he got any sleep.

And as for the coaches, there was no "bad spot". Shanahan repeated over and over that they would play Robert when he was cleared. 

Let me ask you something, do you really believe that first Philly game would have been any different had Cousins been playing ??

So a franchise qb who is the face of the organization is busting his ass to get ready for the season is a distraction ?

Did you ever watch some of the things that man did to get ready for the season ? WOW.

Between the rehab work, the pass throwing sessions and studying film and the play book, its a wonder he got any sleep.

And as for the coaches, there was no "bad spot". Shanahan repeated over and over that they would play Robert when he was cleared. 

Let me ask you something, do you really believe that first Philly game would have been any different had Cousins been playing ??

I'll address point by point:

1.  Never have I insinuated he didn't work his ass off or that that wasn't a good thing.  You can work your ass off without telling the world you're going to start week 1, everyone else be damned.

2. I defended Robert in another thread when someone said he wasn't trying to become a better QB in the offseason.  Said word for word "do you honestly believe he doesn't watch film, you're nuts..."

3. That doesn't mean he wasn't put in a non-ideal spot.  He just said the only thing he could say.

4. No, I don't.  But I have never been one of the people clamoring for Cousins to start after every bad series by RGIII like many others here.  But he still wasn't ready for Week 1.

And people still gave Rose all kinds of ****. It doesn't matter what he does, people are going to not like what he does, either way.

To be fair, people gave Rose **** because he elected to take a year off when he was medically cleared to go, not because he was quiet.

1.  Never have I insinuated he didn't work his ass off or that that wasn't a good thing.  You can work your ass off without telling the world you're going to start week 1, everyone else be damned.

2. I defended Robert in another thread when someone said he wasn't trying to become a better QB in the offseason.  Said word for word "do you honestly believe he doesn't watch film, you're nuts..."

3. That doesn't mean he wasn't put in a non-ideal spot.  He just said the only thing he could say.

4. No, I don't.  But I have never been one of the people clamoring for Cousins to start after every bad series by RGIII like many others here.  But he still wasn't ready for Week 1.

To be fair, people gave Rose **** because he elected to take a year off when he was medically cleared to go, not because he was quiet.

Incorrect.

Even Bulls fan began to turn on him in Feb/March before the "medically cleared" report even dropped

I'm not gonna lie, I got douche chills reading the OP. 

There's something creepy about fans stumbling to their keyboards to condescendingly talk down to the first semblance of a real, top franchise QB that this team has seen in decades.

He is not beyond criticism based on the fact that we have sucked for 20 years.  I mean he could yell, I ****ing hate Native Americans and their families and some on here would say oh well, at least we have a potential franchise QB! 

And I have certainly acknowledged that a portion of the criticism as been over the top.

Why cant he tell the world he is trying to be ready for week one ?? Maybe you didnt want to hear it, but there were a great many fans that wanted to know how his training was going and when he would be back?

Why the point of contention? Or are you just disappointed that he came back an didnt play to the level he did last year?

And what do you think he could have said differently? Is it not possible that Shanahan made those statements because that is what Shanahan believed in?

Agreed, he wasnt ready. But the only way to get him ready is by playing him !

There's something creepy about fans stumbling to their keyboards to condescendingly talk down to the first semblance of a real, top franchise QB that this team has seen in decades.

He's a 2nd-year QB coming off a major injury, he obviously is going through a sophomore slump and it may be due to him spending the offseason rehabbing his knee, but so what? He's taking his lumps and learning to be a good NFL QB. There are far larger problems on this team than the QB. I'm actually very happy with RGIII and in the next few seasons as he develops into one of the league's elite, no one will remember what he said to the media in his sophomore season. Btw, his comments are being blown out of proportion. Let's not crucify him just yet. 

I recommend not giving yourself a douche while reading extremeskins. But if you must, next time use warm water.

No one has crucified him. But complaining about how his comments are being blown out of per portion is just silly. If you are in the public eye and say something that can be taken badly, it will. That's reality. If he doesn't want controversy.... he should shut the hell up.

And I have a question.... 

Did anyone hear him say "I missed some open receivers" ? No? How about "I shouldn't have thrown that last pass off my back foot and given up that INT to end the game" ? 

Just asking.

He wasn't? I could've sworn he was medically cleared by doctors, and allowed to play, and I'm pretty sure that if your starting QB is physically allowed to play, then he plays. So, I think he was clearly ready to play. Now, if you want to play hindsight police, clearly there is a learning curve that comes with hurting your knee, missing an entire offseason and preseason (no denying that), so when is a good time to put him in? Week 2? Week 3? Week 4? Do we throw some water wings and a tricycle out there?

And so what if he and Adidas did the "All In For Week 1" ad campaign. Where he went wrong, was when he backed the coaching staff into a corner in the summertime, and tried to openly push the issue. That's where he ****ed up. Not commercials, not documentaries, not anything else that people want to pick out to fit their narrative. Work... Then marketability. He clearly worked... Unfortunately, it's hard to take a thousand physical reps when you're rehabbing. 

Yeah, but he never said what he said.

Facts work better for you if you just make them up.

I didn't claim to state facts. I asked a question. You can tell because I said "just asking". Good on Robert for admitting his mistake. Did he say anything about his missed passes? 

Now I know that he is privately critical of himself and I'm sure he has noted all of his mistakes and is working on them. But my point is that he should be pointing the finger at himself in those press conferences and if he has an issue with play calling, it should be handled in meetings.

And I just want to say something here. People have called me a douche and questioned my fandom. but who would you rather have as your friend, the guy who agrees with everything you say or do, or the guy who will tell you what you need to hear even if it's not pleasant because it's best for you. If you answered "the guy who agrees with you all the time", you are a fool.

I make my comments because I care about him and I care about the Redskins. And quite frankly I couldn't give a damn what the rest of you think. :)

I didn't claim to state facts. I asked a question. You can tell because I said "just asking". Good on Robert for admitting his mistake. Did he say anything about his missed passes? 

Now I know that he is privately critical of himself and I'm sure he has noted all of his mistakes and is working on them. But my point is that he should be pointing the finger at himself in those press conferences and if he has an issue with play calling, it should be handled in meetings.

And I just want to say something here. People have called me a douche and questioned my fandom. but who would you rather have as your friend, the guy who agrees with everything you say or do, or the guy who will tell you what you need to hear even if it's not pleasant because it's best for you. If you answered "the guy who agrees with you all the time", you are a fool.

I make my comments because I care about him and I care about the Redskins. And quite frankly I couldn't give a damn what the rest of you think. :)

I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Then this year, we all heard you complain that Shanahan was holding you back. You were ready.... Operation patience.... Cough, cough.... Bull****. You were horrible. You clearly spent the offseason focused on rehabbing the knee which was not strong enough for you to play well.

I don't understand the slag towards RG3, the line above, do you not recall him saying he wanted to play in the Pre-Season?  Um yes he did.  The decision to keep him out was Shanahan's, and guess what he was the one who kept him in the game last year when he should never have been in.  Remember?   Do you remember the end of Shanahan's tenure in Denver?  Ask Clinton Portis how that went, he got hurt and Shanahan kept calling his number, like he was running him into the ground.

I do not think RG3 has done one thing wrong his entire time in Washington.  Questions arising whether they should have benched him in Philly.  Are you kidding me?  He is part way into his 2nd year in the NFL, how were Aikman, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Favre, Brady, doing in their 2nd year?   Everyone is so quick to blame RG3 when we dont win, and honestly he is by far the biggest asset on the whole team, and is he perfect?  No, but every player is not perfect.

Our horrible record can be blamed on coaching.  We have a 5th ranked offense thanks to RG3, and we have a 30th ranked Defense thanks to Haslett and Shanahan.   Its down to coaching, and when we are 3-7 after 4 years on the job, its time to make changes.  And that has nothing to do with RG3.

Dude. Where did you read anything about trashing his jersey, benching, or trading him away? Because I never said any such thing and I have yet the hear anyone say ANYTHING like the things you seem to think they are.

pictures and comments on twitter.

Well here in this thread we talk about what was said in the thread. That way we all know what we are talking about.

That's funny because so many people in here have no idea what they're talking about.

Edit: WHOOAA!!! Weird_gymnasium sighting in this thread.  Are you the original Weird_gymnasium?  Come out of the cold!!!

Edit: And he's gone like dust in the wind.

That's funny because so many people in here have no idea what they're talking about.

Edit: WHOOAA!!! Weird_gymnasium sighting in this thread.  Are you the original Weird_gymnasium?  Come out of the cold!!!

Edit: And he's gone like dust in the wind.

Good eye, friend. There's only one weird_gymnasium.

He's a 2nd-year QB coming off a major injury, he obviously is going through a sophomore slump and it may be due to him spending the offseason rehabbing his knee, but so what? He's taking his lumps and learning to be a good NFL QB. There are far larger problems on this team than the QB. I'm actually very happy with RGIII and in the next few seasons as he develops into one of the league's elite, no one will remember what he said to the media in his sophomore season. Btw, his comments are being blown out of proportion. Let's not crucify him just yet. 

^ This. Fans are forgetting it's his second year and he has accomplished much in his short period time. 2012's success was because of RG3.

RG3 has made incredible plays that I've never imagined a redskin QB doing. The seasons disaster can't be blamed on him. Sure, he over threw some WRs, but pro QBs do that every week. If we had a average defense and a solid coaching staff, his missed opportunities wouldn't be a big deal. He's going to get better over time. But he's going to need some help from the offensive line.

Uh oh.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/19/santana-moss-takes-exception-to-griffins-failure-to-take-blame/

On Tuesday, receiver Santana Moss took exception to Griffin’s remarks.

“As a leader, you understand that if you’re involved in the situation, whether you’re the receiver, the quarterback, the guys making the tackle, whoever.  Regardless of the outcome, good or bad, you have to at some point, stand up and say me or I,” Moss told LaVar Arrington and Chad Dukes of 106.7 The Fan in D.C.

“If we’re going to win games, we need to win games with our guy saying, ‘At the end of the day, I didn’t make a play,’ regardless of if it wasn’t him.  And that’s how I feel.  Because that’s what we’re out there to do.  I’m not sitting here to tell you why it didn’t happen, or who didn’t make the play for me to make a play.  If I’m the guy, that’s at the end of the day have the ball in my hand, and we’re sitting there and the game is over because of me, I didn’t do enough to make the play. I didn’t do enough to help us win.  And that’s what I would do.

I think my stomach just did a flip. I feel ill.

I guess I'm not the only one to take issue with his comments. I really wish Moss had kept this in the clubhouse but I think he feels l feels like Robert threw him under the bus in public so that's how he is going to respond.

Please Robert... This is going to be hard on you but take it like a man, admit you were wrong, learn from the experience, and never repeat it. 

Archived