Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dear RG3... an open letter and tough love from a fan.

Mad Mike

He meant a marketable media star. Hi Q-Rating and the like. People like and respect Luck, but he's not someone everyone who doesn't follow sports knows. Everybody knows Peyton, Kobe, Tiger, Lebron, and RGIII.

You know the difference between Griffin and the others you listed.  The others have executed at a high level for a long period of time and have earned it.  They have backed up anything media related with elite results.

Why does RGIII doing the same commercials any other pro athlete does effect you so much. Do you think the Lions and Giants fans were excoriating Ndamukong Suh and Justin Tuck for focusing too much on Subway ads, which take an afternoon at most to produce during the offseason? Why do you let what the 24 hour news media that has to fill air time get to you? Why does limiting RGIII's thoughtful and honest disposition on the podium to making empty soundbytes mean so much to you?

You don't speak for this Redskin fan or anyone I go to games with.

thats a good point ... it had me thinking what's the issue then ...

I think the issue is so far the media face of RGIII is primarily football oriented (e.g., Operation Patience, self-produced video, etc.).  I know he does Subway ads but frankly there's almost none of his personality in those.  Looking at Manning, Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers who have a lot of exposure and aren't (as far as I know) getting crap about it ... their exposure is about their personalities as opposed to assertions that they are ready to perform, implications that it ought to be about them as sports stars.  Hard to articulate but hopefully you get my point.  Mannings are goof-ball jokesters, Brady is a pretty boy/face, Brees is willing to embarass himself to sell sodas, Rodgers makes fun of himself ... Griffin sells himself as an NFL starting QB.  Maybe subtle but I think it makes a difference.

Why does RGIII doing the same commercials any other pro athlete does effect you so much. Do you think the Lions and Giants fans were excoriating Ndamukong Suh and Justin Tuck for focusing too much on Subway ads, which take an afternoon at most to produce during the offseason? Why do you let what the 24 hour news media that has to fill air time get to you? Why does limiting RGIII's thoughtful and honest disposition on the podium to making empty soundbytes mean so much to you?

You don't speak for this Redskin fan or anyone I go to games with.

Thank you. Well said.

Really because you're completely ignoring various quotes from Robert where he's more than owned up for his poor decisions. Instead you blow hot air with gems such as "shut the hell up", learn to read defenses" and "why can't you be more like Peyton Manning".

Yeah. And I never said he had the potential to be the best ever, or how intelligent and athletically gifted he is. 

Oh wait... 

It's not as if RGIII is the first(and he won't be the last)athlete to do commercials who hasn't won.

people are just throwing in the commercials as more evidence but the main things are the Operation Patience, All In For Week 1, etc. - it's the things he says that put coaches, team, doctors, himself on the line.

people are just throwing in the commercials as more evidence but the main things are the Operation Patience, All In For Week 1, etc. - it's the things he says that put coaches, team, doctors, himself on the line.

Exactly, there is ZERO issue with the Subway ads.  Nobody with a clue has an issue with Subway ads.  Don't think Mcdonalds ads slowed down Bird or MJ.  But the whole All in for Week 1 stuff, not ideal.

I don't care about the Subway ads, I am specifically talking about the Adidas "All in for Week 1" campaign.  Everything involving him and being ready for Week 1 was a mess this offseason.  So much distraction and putting the coaches in a bad spot.  And he clearly wasn't ready for week 1 as we saw in that debacle vs. Philadelphia.

In what way does the 24 hour news media have anything to do with it?  Doesn't affect me whatsoever, but the fact remains he ran his mouth this offseason and it did not help anyone including himself.  Sometimes, you have to give generic answers to the media, you may not like it, but sometimes, you can't give them fuel to ignite blown out of proportion stories which they did all offseason.  This is what Belichick and Brady have been good at for a long time minus rare instances. 

I'm fine with a player being honest, as long as it doesn't hurt the team in any way. 

-There is zero evidence that the "All in for Week 1" campaign had any effect on the team,

-There is zero evidence that "running his mouth" hurt himself or anyone else.

-There is zero evidence that non-cliche answers in press conferences hurts the team in any way.

There is zero evidence of any of this other than in the fevered brains of fans and media idiots with column inches to fill. yet people are ranting on here as if it's gospel truth. It has risen to absurd levels.  It's becoming entertaining to read these rantings. 

-There is zero evidence that the "All in for Week 1" campaign had any effect on the team,

-There is zero evidence that "running his mouth" hurt himself or anyone else.

-There is zero evidence that non-cliche answers in press conferences hurts the team in any way.

There is zero evidence of any of this other than in the fevered brains of fans and media idiots with column inches to fill. yet people are ranting on here as if it's gospel truth. It has risen to absurd levels.  It's becoming entertaining to read these rantings. 

Do you have proof it didn't have an effect?  Have you interviewed all the players and asked if any of the offseason stuff wasn't kind of annoying?  Did you ask Mike Shanahan if he was tired of responding to questions brought on by RGIII's comments in the offseason?

Would most teams prefer to stay out of media talk?  Yes.

Do most teams want to, as best they can, fly under the radar? Yes.

Would most coaches prefer that their players not question why they can't play coming off a knee injury?  Yes.

I think some of you are so ecstatic to have a QB worth a damn that any criticism if considered blasphemy.  That's fine.  I'm not anti-RGIII, I gave an elaborate thread defending him from unwarranted criticism after the game Sunday (Intense Criticism of RGIII).  I think he's taking more blame than warranted for the failure of this team this season.  That said, I would love for RGIII to fade into obscurity in the offseason and focus on his health and development as an NFL QB.  I don't think it's far-fetched to say that RGIII was at least buying a little into the RGIII hype wagon this past offseason and would've benefited from at least trying to maintain a lower profile.

Am I trying to claim that RGIII's offseason is the reason we suck, of course not.  Maybe it didn't hurt the team but do you really believe it helped at all?

You know the difference between Griffin and the others you listed.  The others have executed at a high level for a long period of time and have earned it.  They have backed up anything media related with elite results.

Who cares whether he's "Earned" it or not? He has a quality to him that sells. That's why he is a "Star" while Luck is just a "Good NFL QB".

Had RGIII pulled a Derrick Rose (who had his own 4-part recovery promo campaign btw) and remained quiet during the offseason and did not show a serious interest in playing, he'd be getting raked across the coals just as hard lol. Derrick Rose will be looked upon as soft and weak if the Bulls don't bring home a chip this season.

Neither can win. 

RGIII isn't above criticism. I've been critical of his play all season within in reason. However going on and on about the offseason that you guys have no credible evidence of having a detriment on the team or their on-field performance is unnecessary. 

His teammates love him. Only on a messageboard is this a problem. That's what is weird to me.

What happened when Darrell Green (a franchise legend) questioned his leadership? His teammates went crazy and one even threatened to hurt him lol. If they were that annoyed with him, why would they do that?

They didn't have to speak up.

I'd hate to review any sort of AVA/Myers Briggs/Performance Evaluation with a lot of you.  I've never seen so many people take constructive criticism so hard, and it's not even regarding people in here...

Who cares whether he's "Earned" it or not? He has a quality to him that sells. That's why he is a "Star" while Luck is just a "Good NFL QB".

Again, Luck could have been too but he didn't welcome all of this in.  Media was all over him for 1.5 - 2 years constantly and he never let things get blown up.  Griffin got this "star" treatment because he went along with the media hype and gave them what they wanted.  Luck pushed them aside and focused on more important things.

I'd hate to review any sort of AVA/Myers Briggs/Performance Evaluation with a lot of you.  I've never seen so many people take constructive criticism so hard, and it's not even regarding people in here...

Despite the fact that I've stated in nearly every post that I've been critical of the dude myself, keep painting me as a blind follower. 

Your whole argument against him is based on the perceptions of ES and a few local writers. Does that make your opinion right?

Has Griff lost the locker room? Obviously not. That is what matters.

I doubt Shanahan gave a **** what he said. If Shanahan didn't want him playing, he would not have played. Simple as that. 

Had RGIII pulled a Derrick Rose (who had his own 4-part recovery promo campaign btw) and remained quiet during the offseason and did not show a serious interest in playing, he'd be getting raked across the coals just as hard lol. Derrick Rose will be looked upon as soft and weak if the Bulls don't bring home a chip this season.

Really?  Are you really comparing the 2?  They are complete opposites.  RG3 made it about him when he said he would be back week 1 regardless and didn't need preseason and this and that. 

What did Rose do?  He said I'm not coming back until I'm 100% healthy and know I can help my TEAM.  I don't care if he documented it, he didn't say he'd be back at a certain time and put others on the spot and the spotlight on him with what he did.  When asked, he said I'll come back when I feel 100%.  None of this "I'll be back by week 1, I'm going to play preseason, blah, blah, blah"

Despite the fact that I've stated in nearly every post that I've been critical of the dude myself, keep painting me as a blind follower. 

Your whole argument against him is based on the perceptions of ES and a few local writers. Does that make your opinion right?

Has Griff lost the locker room? Obviously not. That is what matters.

I doubt Shanahan gave a **** what he said. If Shanahan didn't want him playing, he would not have played. Simple as that. 

Get defensive much?  Where did I call you a blind homer?

You're defensive in every single response to someone you don't agree with. 

Based on perceptions of ES and a few local writers?  If you talk to anyone outside of this team and fan base, they'll tell you he loves the spot light too much and people are already sick of him because of the attention he brings upon himself.  Smoot, of all people, labeled him a brat/diva.

And you don't know if he's lost the locker room - of course people aren't going to throw him under the bus to the media, they know how to keep quiet and keep it in house.

Again, Luck could have been too but he didn't welcome all of this in.  Media was all over him for 1.5 - 2 years constantly and he never let things get blown up.  Griffin got this "star" treatment because he went along with the media hype and gave them what they wanted.  Luck pushed them aside and focused on more important things.

No, he couldn't have been. Luck isn't a charismatic guy. His style of play isn't exotic and exciting. It helps that he doesn't lend himself to the media but if both QBs handled themselves the same way RGIII would still be far more of a household name based on the way he plays.

Really?  Are you really comparing the 2?  They are complete opposites.  RG3 made it about him when he said he would be back week 1 regardless and didn't need preseason and this and that. 

What did Rose do?  He said I'm not coming back until I'm 100% healthy and know I can help my TEAM.  I don't care if he documented it, he didn't say he'd be back at a certain time and put others on the spot and the spotlight on him with what he did.  When asked, he said I'll come back when I feel 100%.  None of this "I'll be back by week 1, I'm going to play preseason, blah, blah, blah"

Get defensive much?  Where did I call you a blind homer?

You're defensive in every single response to someone you don't agree with. 

Based on perceptions of ES and a few local writers?  If you talk to anyone outside of this team and fan base, they'll tell you he loves the spot light too much and people are already sick of him because of the attention he brings upon himself.  Smoot, of all people, labeled him a brat/diva.

Actually Derrick Rose didn't say anything until the playoffs started and the heat (no pun intended) really turned on. Trust me, the man didn't say anything at all. His brother was speaking for him and making an ass out of both of them. Nothing was more frustrating then waiting on him to say anything at all. 

I'm not defensive. You've (or someone else) called ppl "Justin Beiber fans" in this very thread for disagreeing with you. lol.

I don't think that fits me at all

I'm not gonna lie, I got douche chills reading the OP. 

There's something creepy about fans stumbling to their keyboards to condescendingly talk down to the first semblance of a real, top franchise QB that this team has seen in decades.

He's a 2nd-year QB coming off a major injury, he obviously is going through a sophomore slump and it may be due to him spending the offseason rehabbing his knee, but so what? He's taking his lumps and learning to be a good NFL QB. There are far larger problems on this team than the QB. I'm actually very happy with RGIII and in the next few seasons as he develops into one of the league's elite, no one will remember what he said to the media in his sophomore season. Btw, his comments are being blown out of proportion. Let's not crucify him just yet. 

Actually Derrick Rose didn't say anything until the playoffs started and the heat (no pun intended) really turned on. Trust me, the man didn't say anything at all. His brother was speaking for him and making an ass out of both of them. Nothing was more frustrating then waiting on him to say anything at all. 

I'm not defensive. You've called ppl "Justin Beiber fans" in this very thread for disagreeing with you. lol.

I don't think that fits me at all

Even better, he didn't talk at all.  He kept quiet which is no comparison to Griffin.

As for the Justin Beiber comment, I didn't direct that at you or for the people disagreeing with me.  I said the way people are reacting to Griffin criticism is worse than you would see someone bash Justin Beiber to his fan club.  That isn't because people are disagreeing, it's because of how they are reacting to criticism and opinion.

I'm not telling you to have a certain opinion, I'm stating mine and why I have that opinion.  I respect yours and everyone else's opinion when they provide relevant information and back up their opinion.

Even better, he didn't talk at all. He kept quiet which is no comparison to Griffin.

As for the Justin Beiber comment, I didn't direct that at you or for the people disagreeing with me. I said the way people are reacting to Griffin criticism is worse than you would see someone bash Justin Beiber to his fan club. That isn't because people are disagreeing, it's because of how they are reacting to criticism and opinion.

I'm not telling you to have a certain opinion, I'm stating mine and why I have that opinion. I respect yours and everyone else's opinion when they provide relevant information and back up their opinion.

My point on Rose is that he was crucified even worse for not saying anything. He became a joke. You may have like it but trust when I say a lot of ppl didn't. There is no right way to do things in this 24/7 news cycle and that's what I think the point is. This isn't a big deal but you guys are making it one.

And I've backed up my points plenty. The guy's teammates would go to battle against legends for him. Obviously there isn't a locker room problem

There's no need to go back and forth

That's not at all how it went down or what happened. All in for Week 1 was an ad campaign about athletes busting their asses to get ready for the first week of the season. It never even mentioned or hinted at his injury until the end when it popped All In For Week 1. Sure, the message was there at the very end. The rest of the ad was about not resting on your past accomplishments. And there is nothing wrong with his stated and known goal of being ready for week 1. I would expect that to be his goal based on the timeline that was given for his recovery. 

We have no way of knowing what Mike Shanahan and Griffin talked about in private regarding the timetable for his return. Shanahan said all along he would play when the doctors cleared him and that is exactly what happened. Everything else that is always brought up about the offseason is just noise and doesn't mean anything. 

He wore a shirt that said Operation Patience. Oh. My. God. That's his thing, something he does along with the socks. Nobody had a problem with it when he was walking around with No Pressure No Diamond shirts or branding catchphrases on Redskins colored socks.

The playing in the preseason thing is also way overblown. He said in defense of himself and Mike Shanahan that he felt he would be ready to go without preseason. What is he supposed to say? "No i have to play in the preseason or I will won't be ready. Did Coach tell you he had no concerns with me not playing in the preseason? He crazy" Everybody jumped his **** about that though saying he was a punk and thought he was above preseason.

I have no problem criticizing and have been all season when it applies. This is just pointless. Nothing he did this offseason has any impact on the team. Who put the offense under more pressure this offseason? Anything Griffin might have said or Garcon saying they could be the best offense in NFL history?

It's because we are losing. He was the exact same person last season, talked just as much, celebrated just as much and we all loved him and his personality. Clearly, we don't know what it is like to root for a team with a marketable superstar that moves the needle in the world of 2013.

Archived