Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dear RG3... an open letter and tough love from a fan.

Mad Mike

The Redskins have many problems but the biggest problem is that RG3 is not a reliably accurate passer.  When your quarterback is not a reliably accurate passer, you will lose a lot of games...obviously.

RG3 is missing open receivers so badly it almost makes me question his visual depth perception.  On the miss in the first quarter, he planted, aimed and threw 10 feet over his tight end's head open in space.  That isn't a miss, that is something more.

Remember, we are a miraculous goal-line stand away from being 2-8.

The Redskins have many problems but the biggest problem is that RG3 is not a reliably accurate passer.  When your quarterback is not a reliably accurate passer, you will lose a lot of games...obviously.

RG3 is missing open receivers so badly it almost makes me question his visual depth perception.  On the miss in the first quarter, he planted, aimed and threw 10 feet over his tight end's head open in space.  That isn't a miss, that is something more.

Remember, we are a miraculous goal-line stand away from being 2-8.

He's been off at times this year, but he has a long history of being extremely accurate. I'm not worried about his accuracy in the least.

This team's problems are much bigger than Robert alone.

Not really.  RG is and will be the problem until he starts to be accountable.  RG has been neutralized because of his deficiencies and has yet to accept that.  It's more than reading defenses... he back peddles when he should slide forward.  He has zero feel for the pocket and less on how to read defenses, much more go through progressions.  Any journeyman back up could have done equally as well if not better this year win loss wise.  Rex would have done better.  RG sucks right now and whether that changes will only be a result of him being accountable and growing up.  I don't think I've ever heard him take the blame for anything really.  It's and ego out of control.  It's going to blow up in his face team mate wise and then we are really in trouble, because then he'll ask for a trade because it's not "his fault".   It was the coaches fault last year for the injury, it's not his fault that he can't slide and he's clueless or it seems that way what is really happening when he is asked to pass the ball.  

This is one of the most serious problems this franchise has faced in decades and it's not going to get better until he steps up and takes responsibility for his shortcomings.  

If everyone keeps focus, I strongly suspect Griffin will be able learn from this painful season, and will wind up being the next Drew Brees/Wilson combination --- the elite, franchise QB everyone knew he has in him. Time for him to remember his favorite saying, "no pressure, no diamonds!"

But frankly he needs to stay out of the media circus (safe cliches would be advisable at this point), privately acknowledge self-responsibility to his teammates, and buckle down to learn how to better:

1. Manage his drop backs more quickly, while reading the field

2. Develop good pocket presence.

3. Get past his primary read and really see the field before he scrambles and shakes thing up

4. Regain his accuracy on the long-pass

5. Regain his touch pass, dropping it in the bucket on the corner fade. ( after all, he didn't always throw Campbell flat bullets.)

6. Develop a more reliable and accurate touch in the timing patterns with his receiving corps ( he showed it last year, but this year he's spraying those passes)

7. Recognize that other team's "goons" are gunning for him and really learn to use the rules to protect himself

8. Learn how to throw the ball away safely

I think the media and we fans should remember that it's been a sharp learning curve for a sophomore QB, recovering from a major injury that robbed him of an off-season, a preseason, and a few games into the regular season.

We need to avoid over-reacting to being 3-7, or even winding up 5-11. The Skins' fortunes are tied to Griffins emergence as a franchise QB, so when he founders, this 2013 Skins team just isn't that good enough to carry him. BUT, both Griffin, and the team as a whole are getting better. Assuming everyone can stay the course and not self-implode to satisfy the mediot feeding frenzy... this will be a very competitive team next season.

That said, Shanahan is going to have to candidly evaluate retaining consistency of his coaching staff. He'll need to seriously consider change at Def.Coordinator, at LBs coach, at STs coach, and maybe D-line coach. The defense needs to climb up to the teens in defense ranking, for the Skins to be competitive.

P.S: I think Kyle is a decent coordinator, and one of the better ones Mike Shanahan brought onto his coaching staff. (But that discussion is for another thread.)

Meh, I think the biggest problem on defense is a serious lack of talent. Our secondary couldn't cover a pillow with a blanket. I expect it to be a point of focus in FA and the draft. I would give Haslet a pass until that is sorted but I agree that Shannahan should and will evaluate everyone in his own time outside of the spotlight.

Now, Brees, on the other hand, is a slightly less athletic version of Robert. Comparable arm strength and size. Obviously Robert is faster.  But Brees is like a stone cold killer out there in the passing game.  He's got command of the entire game.  Just watching the way that he commands a huddle. Complete control.  He reads the defense, moves defenders with his eyes, and is absolutely dead on accurate.  He also has a love affair with the city he's in. They would vote him "Supreme Leader of all things New Orleans" tomorrow.  He is the definition of beloved because of what he says and what he does.  

:P

It's true, there are problems that are much bigger than Robert alone.  But he's starting to become the root of a lot of bad attention.  And that's not good. 

And this here encapsulates the issue with Kyle.  It's not so much that Kyle is the coordinator, the problem is that it's Kyle SHANAHAN.  The issue is that he's the coach's son.  So, no matter what he does, it will never be good. 

I would be willing to bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that if the 'Skins had come out throwing in the second half, all you would have heard is "Morris is averaging 5.2 yards per game, why the hell are you abandoning the run for a struggling passing game?"  

It's completely hypocritical.  And it's no lose position. You can blast the play calling no matter what.

Every thread, regardless of actual topic, becomes a Kyle Shanahan sucks calling plays thread.

It's an agenda, and it's getting old.  

Always enjoy reading your take.  One of the posters in ESland

Guys! Don't you see like this guy does that he's wasting the potential of our Top 10 defense and awesome return game?

Uh... what was the Ravens defense ranked last year??? 16 and won the SB 

Also were ranked 16 in offensive total yds

10th in scoring.

How much more time has the Defense had to be on the field due to failed drives.

is it just me and my homerism, or was that play to DY for the long TD pass ... just plain sick?  I mean, the scramble was amazing, but the placement of the throw while on the run ... yowza.  But I digress. 

I've said this story so many times and I wanted to start a thread. 

Cooley a few months back said that after his rookie year having that offseason was so vital and critical to his development.  The thing is, he said what he was able to do was decompress.  He was able to just eat, drink, play video games and shoot the **** for an entire month and he said he needed that in the worse way.

He needed that because he felt he put so much pressure on himself during his first year and it was such a whirlwind. 

That is how a 3rd round Tight End with almost no fanfare and almost no expectations felt. 

How do you think a #2 overall pick  coming to a QB starved fanbase and team felt after his first year??? 

Robert's off season kicked off with the dread  that his career was over before it began ... the rigors, pain and overall mess that is recovery and rehab.  The frustration of not being able to take a step forward with his craft, he got married, he got scrutiny from people getting those gifts, the media twisting words around, the debacle about not playing in preseason. 

He had no time to unwind, no time to reflect, no time to evaluate. 

and no time to be a 22 year old. 

It was a **** storm from the word go. 

Like it or not it comes with the territory.  Nobody said that being a highly touted NFL QB is easy.  It's one of the hardest jobs any pro athlete could ever have.   Though I admire RG's heart, his head got him hurt more last year than he ever should have.  I mean he still really doesn't know how to slide and still throws himself in to harms way recklessly.  As I said I appreciate the heart and the desire to win, but his head last year got him in trouble injury wise and it's not helping him progress this year either from a learning the game standpoint.  He's not going to learn how to read defenses or be effective in the pocket until he admits that his is something he is lacking at.  Thus far i haven't heard him say it.

Uh... what was the Ravens defense ranked last year??? 16 and won the SB 

Also were ranked 16 in offensive total yds

10th in scoring.

How much more time has the Defense had to be on the field due to failed drives.

They were 13th in points allowed, they faced the team that was 2nd.

We're 30th this year.

We're also 6th in YPG and 13th in scoring, averaging .2 less than the SB Champs did last year.

They were 13th in points allowed, they faced the team that was 2nd.

We're 30th this year.

We're also 6th in YPG and 13th in scoring, averaging .2 less than the SB Champs did last year.

I'm not going to deny that the Defense has struggled at time this year. especially early on, but they have done enough for us to have a better record than where we currently are.  Also a lot of the yds that RG got in some of the earlier game this year were in garbage time where we were down signfiicantly.  Last year we were ranked 4th in scoring this year 13th.  

Sorry to disappoint you but this isn't an "I hate RG3" thread. 

Really because you're completely ignoring various quotes from Robert where he's more than owned up for his poor decisions. Instead you blow hot air with gems such as "shut the hell up", learn to read defenses" and "why can't you be more like Peyton Manning".

I'm not going to deny that the Defense has struggled at time this year. especially early on, but they have done enough for us to have a better record than where we currently are.  Also a lot of the yds that RG got in some of the earlier game this year were in garbage time where we were down signfiicantly.  Last year we were ranked 4th in scoring this year 13th.  

13th is still good enough to win a Super Bowl by your own standards.

Griffin has thrown for 300 more yards and one more touchdown when it's been a 1-8 point deficit than in a 9-16 point deficit. He accrued some garbage time stats like all QBs do, but the clear majority have come when we've been in the ball game.

Also, no, the defense really hasn't. Hence them being near last in points allowed and well on their way to shattering the franchise record. There's no metric you can use to say the defense has done enough.

Oh I'm not saying they have,  but they have turned in performances that could have garnered us a win.  The Denver game is a prime example.  We gave the ball back to Peyton to many times on unsustained drives to start the second half.  You can't give PM too many chances or he's gonna beat you.  A prime example of this was the Chiefs, Denver game.  Chiefs kept stalling drives and Peyton got too many chances.

I think its the effectiveness of the first half offense that is killing us this season.

55 first half possessions:

1 Safety

5 INTs

2 Fumbles

1 Blocked Punt

1 out on downs

8 TDs

6 FGs

I thought it would be that the defense i on the field too much but so far the Skins have had 334 downs and the opposition has had 325.

I've said many times over the years on this board that I was born in Wisconsin and grew up a HUGE Brett Favre fan before moving to DC in my high school years and seeing the light. I think it can be argued that Favre is top 5 all time and maybe one of the GOATs. I will always compare all franchise QBs to Favre with regards to how they handle their business (not necessarily how they play). I realize it isn't fair to compare a 2nd year pro to Favre, and I do not expect them to be equal. I just want to see similarities.

In 2 years following RG3, I know more about his personal life than I did in the first 15 of Favre's career. Growing up the biggest Favre homer on the planet, I knew a handful of things about the man's personal life. He was married with two daughters, he had been in a serious car accident while in college, his dad died before a huge monday night game, and he had quit cold turkey to recover from a painkiller addiction.

There was no media, no twitter, or any of that garbage. But Favre has always kept his personal business close to the vest. A wrangler commercial here or there and a picture of him four wheeling or fishing surfaced every now and then, but until the **** in NY went down people didn't know anything about his personal life beyond the obvious.

Guys like Peyton and Brady are similar. I think Manning is married, but I don't know the woman's name, have never seen a picture of her, and don't even know for sure if its true. I've never heard the woman referred to in any media outlet. Brady is married to one of the biggest super models on the planet and, barring the initial hubabaloo around the wedding, the only time we hear about her is when she opens her own mouth about things like drops (and she was chastised heavily for it). There wasn't any "all in for week one" when Brady tore his knee up, Peyton sat out an entire season because of his issues. Hell, even Brees didn't have any hoopla when he left for NO with a torn shoulder. They just kept their head down and quietly went about their business.

And one more huge, important question:

Everyone knows that when you are rehabbing an injury, there is only so much you can do at once. You can't rehab the knee 10 hours a day until it has been strengthened to go 10 hours a day. So where are people making this **** up about Robert not being able to watch film because he was too busy rehabbing his knee? Most of us who have ever rehabbed serious injuries manage to do it while in school, or work, or both. You're telling me the guy didn't have time to watch film because he was to busy in the gym? Please...

There is no way that you haven't noticed how the media has changed just in the last three seasons...

RGIII is a star dude. Luck isn't. Wilson isn't.

If Peyton would have came out in 2012, he'd be the same media creation

Meh, I think the biggest problem on defense is a serious lack of talent. Our secondary couldn't cover a pillow with a blanket. I expect it to be a point of focus in FA and the draft. I would give Haslet a pass until that is sorted but I agree that Shannahan should and will evaluate everyone in his own time outside of the spotlight.

You'll give Haslett a pass for being one of the worst defensive units the last 4 years running until he gets better players to work with but feel compelled to write an open letter to a 2nd year QB (with limited experience, recovering from knee surgery and questionable talent around him) detailing all the mistakes he is making? 

ok...

But this whole notion the guy doesn't know how to call plays in the "flow of a game" is just silly.  Just like the "abandon the run" cries, and then this week the "why the heck did you run down 24?!" It's never ending.  And it is an agenda.

Well, to be fair, asking to maintain the run when trying to put in a kill shot with a long TD drive is different than running when you're down 24-0 with less than two quarters left.

But that said, the people putting the failures on Kyle more so than Haslett are insane.  Kyle does sometimes out-think himself but there have been A LOT of big plays left on the field by guys like Robinson, Moss, Morgan and especially RGIII sailing potential TD throws over guys.

There is no way that you haven't noticed how the media has changed just in the last three seasons...

RGIII is a star dude. Luck isn't. Wilson isn't.

If Peyton would have came out in 2012, he'd be the same media creation

I guess you didn't watch the hype with Luck.  The difference is, he didn't let it get to him and he didn't open his arms for the circus to fall in line.

The media is like a wild animal - You don't leave out scraps then they'll move on but you keep feeding them then they'll keep coming back.

If our offense was ranked dead last or anywhere near that I'd agree with the necessary criticism.  That's not even close to being the case though.  Our defense is historically bad.  Our special teams are historically bad.  The Denver Broncos offense would struggle if their defense and special teams resembled ours. 

I guess you didn't watch the hype with Luck.  The difference is, he didn't let it get to him and he didn't open his arms for the circus to fall in line.

He meant a marketable media star. Hi Q-Rating and the like. People like and respect Luck, but he's not someone everyone who doesn't follow sports knows. Everybody knows Peyton, Kobe, Tiger, Lebron, and RGIII.

I have a letter for RGIII.

Dear Robert,

Be quiet this offseason and do not throw your coaches under the bus and do not be a distraction to the team.  Do your training and QB work preferably in an undisclosed location where you won't be tempted to executive produce documentaries about yourself, do commercials pertaining to when you want to play football or spew out unnecessary comments to be blown out of proportion by the media.

Thanks,

Redskins fans everywhere

Do your training and QB work preferably in an undisclosed location where you won't be tempted to executive produce documentaries about yourself, do commercials or spew out unnecessary comments to be blown out of proportion by the media.

Why does RGIII doing the same commercials any other pro athlete does effect you so much. Do you think the Lions and Giants fans were excoriating Ndamukong Suh and Justin Tuck for focusing too much on Subway ads, which take an afternoon at most to produce during the offseason? Why do you let what the 24 hour news media that has to fill air time get to you? Why does limiting RGIII's thoughtful and honest disposition on the podium to making empty soundbytes mean so much to you?

You don't speak for this Redskin fan or anyone I go to games with.

Why does RGIII doing the same commercials any other pro athlete does effect you so much. Do you think the Lions and Giants fans were excoriating Ndamukong Suh and Justin Tuck for focusing too much on Subway ads, which take an afternoon at most to produce during the offseason? Why do you let what the 24 hour news media that has to fill air time get to you? Why does limiting RGIII's thoughtful and honest disposition on the podium to making empty soundbytes mean so much to you?

You don't speak for this Redskin fan or anyone I go to games with.

I don't care about the Subway ads whatsoever, I am specifically talking about the Adidas "All in for Week 1" campaign.  Everything involving him and being ready for Week 1 was a mess this offseason.  So much distraction and putting the coaches in a bad spot.  And he clearly wasn't ready for week 1 as we saw in that debacle vs. Philadelphia.

In what way does the 24 hour news media have anything to do with it?  Doesn't affect me whatsoever, but the fact remains he ran his mouth this offseason and it did not help anyone including himself.  Sometimes, you have to give generic answers to the media, you may not like it, but sometimes, you can't give them fuel to ignite blown out of proportion stories which they did all offseason.  This is what Belichick and Brady have been good at for a long time minus rare instances. 

I'm fine with a player being honest, as long as it doesn't hurt the team in any way. 

Archived