Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dear RG3... an open letter and tough love from a fan.

Mad Mike

This is really tough for me to write because I truly am a huge fan. I honestly believe that you have all the tools to be the best ever. As someone who was born in Japan to a military family myself, I kind of view you as a brother because of that shared experience.  And it's with that in mind... with all due respect and love that I say....

SHUT THE HELL UP. Seriously dude, it's time to shut up and look in the mirror.

When you were drafted you were quick to tell everyone who would listen that you were NOT just a running QB. What happened to that dude? Because somewhere along the way you started playing like you were looking for a good ESPN highlight reel, threw caution to the wind, and eventually hurt yourself. Then when you re-injured yourself, you hid the truth from the coaches and eventually did even worse damage to yourself and the team. Did you look in the mirror? NO. You blamed everyone else for your bad decisions.

Then this year, we all heard you complain that Shanahan was holding you back. You were ready.... Operation patience.... Cough, cough.... Bull****. You were horrible. You clearly spent the offseason focused on rehabbing the knee which was not strong enough for you to play well. And you clearly used time on your knee, that could have been used in the film room learning to better read defenses an master the nuances of being an NFL QB (more on this soon). It's understandable that classroom study suffered while you were working so hard on your knee... it really is... right up until you open your mouth and complain how someone else is holding you back when as we all have seen, you were not. You can start your mental rehab now by saying it out loud. "I was wrong" I wasn't as ready as I thought I was.". It's OK. We will forgive you.

But here's where I'm starting to get really disappointed... After the Eagles game you said: "Obviously, we were able to run the ball effectively, but in the passing game; they kind of had us. They kind of knew what was coming before it was coming and like I said, that is disheartening." Really? We did all right with the run but "they kind of knew what was coming" with the pass. Gosh... You mean it wasn't all of our play calling that we got out coached on. JUST THE PART THAT YOU WERE RUNNING.

Here's a thought... Maybe... just maybe... YOU WERE TELEGRAPHING YOUR THROWS. Why do you think it is you keep getting balls batted back at you? Because D linemen have figured out that you are staring down your receivers.

Fortunately this is an easy thing to fix with a little practice. Just look the defense off and mess with their minds. I know you can do it. You damn sure are smart enough. The only real question at this time is can you squash your ego, and look in the mirror. Or are you going to blame everyone else and waste the god given talent you have by not being critical enough of yourself to identify the things you need to improve.

One final tip... If you want to be the best, then pattern yourself after the best. You should be studying Payton Manning. If you can get anywhere near as good as him at manipulating defenses and picking them apart through the air, your natural athletic ability would make you unstoppable. And It wouldn't hurt to take notes when he speaks as well. No one says you can't be yourself. Just turn down the volume a little and let your play speak for itself. In the long run, you will be just fine.

Dear Kyle,

Did you and big poppa really think that running the ball down 24-0 was the most strategic way to get back into the most important game of the season?

You and pop do realize this is the same football team that won the division last season ( a better division) and is currently healthy in week 10? How do you let a rookie head coach beat you twice with arguably just as bad a team with more injuries?

What are you big daddy doing to prepare the team during the week? Are we playing Madden on the PS4? Is Jim Haslett present at all?

Sincerely,

Skinzfever2010

(This isn't tough love, you both get no love from me)

SHUT THE HELL UP. Seriously dude, it's time to shut up and look in the mirror.

One final tip... If you want to be the best, then pattern yourself after the best. You should be studying Payton Manning. If you can get anywhere near as good as him at manipulating defenses and picking them apart through the air, your natural athletic ability would make you unstoppable. And It wouldn't hurt to take notes when he speaks as well. No one says you can't be yourself. Just turn down the volume a little and let your play speak for itself. In the long run, you will be just fine.

I agree with Shut the Hell Up.  

I think Peyton is spelled with an "e"  :P

I agree with if you want to be the best, study the best.  But Peyton is not the player that I would like Robert to emulate. That player is Drew Brees.  Because Peyton and Robert are just ... different.  Peyton is much bigger, significantly less mobile, and just does things that nobody has ever done, and probably nobody will be able to do.

Now, Brees, on the other hand, is a slightly less athletic version of Robert. Comparable arm strength and size. Obviously Robert is faster.  But Brees is like a stone cold killer out there in the passing game.  He's got command of the entire game.  Just watching the way that he commands a huddle. Complete control.  He reads the defense, moves defenders with his eyes, and is absolutely dead on accurate.  He also has a love affair with the city he's in. They would vote him "Supreme Leader of all things New Orleans" tomorrow.  He is the definition of beloved because of what he says and what he does.  

I cant wait to read Rob's reply to this...

:P

This team's problems are much bigger than Robert alone.

It's true, there are problems that are much bigger than Robert alone.  But he's starting to become the root of a lot of bad attention.  And that's not good. 

Dear Kyle,

Did you and big poppa really think that running the ball down 24-0 was the most strategic way to get back into the most important game of the season?

You and pop do realize this is the same football team that won the division last season ( a better division) and is currently healthy in week 10? How do you let a rookie head coach beat you twice with arguably just as bad a team with more injuries?

What are you big daddy doing to prepare the team during the week? Are we playing Madden on the PS4? Is Jim Haslett present at all?

Sincerely,

Skinzfever2010

(This isn't tough love, you both get no love from me)

And this here encapsulates the issue with Kyle.  It's not so much that Kyle is the coordinator, the problem is that it's Kyle SHANAHAN.  The issue is that he's the coach's son.  So, no matter what he does, it will never be good. 

I would be willing to bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that if the 'Skins had come out throwing in the second half, all you would have heard is "Morris is averaging 5.2 yards per game, why the hell are you abandoning the run for a struggling passing game?"  

It's completely hypocritical.  And it's no lose position. You can blast the play calling no matter what.

Every thread, regardless of actual topic, becomes a Kyle Shanahan sucks calling plays thread.

It's an agenda, and it's getting old.  

I agree with Shut the Hell Up.  

I think Peyton is spelled with an "e"  :P

I agree with if you want to be the best, study the best.  But Peyton is not the player that I would like Robert to emulate. That player is Drew Brees.  Because Peyton and Robert are just ... different.  Peyton is much bigger, significantly less mobile, and just does things that nobody has ever done, and probably nobody will be able to do.

Now, Brees, on the other hand, is a slightly less athletic version of Robert. Comparable arm strength and size. Obviously Robert is faster.  But Brees is like a stone cold killer out there in the passing game.  He's got command of the entire game.  Just watching the way that he commands a huddle. Complete control.  He reads the defense, moves defenders with his eyes, and is absolutely dead on accurate.  He also has a love affair with the city he's in. They would vote him "Supreme Leader of all things New Orleans" tomorrow.  He is the definition of beloved because of what he says and what he does.  

:P

It's true, there are problems that are much bigger than Robert alone.  But he's starting to become the root of a lot of bad attention.  And that's not good. 

And this here encapsulates the issue with Kyle.  It's not so much that Kyle is the coordinator, the problem is that it's Kyle SHANAHAN.  The issue is that he's the coach's son.  So, no matter what he does, it will never be good. 

I would be willing to bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that if the 'Skins had come out throwing in the second half, all you would have heard is "Morris is averaging 5.2 yards per game, why the hell are you abandoning the run for a struggling passing game?"  

It's completely hypocritical.  And it's no lose position. You can blast the play calling no matter what.

Every thread, regardless of actual topic, becomes a Kyle Shanahan sucks calling plays thread.

It's an agenda, and it's getting old.  

It's not an agenda. The dude has no idea how to call plays with the flow of the game. Besides for 7 games last year, It's been an issue his entire time here.

Oh, and he has burned the bridge with the Franchise QB. That's my problem with him. 

It's not an agenda. The dude has no idea how to call plays with the flow of the game. Besides for 7 games last year, It's been an issue his entire time here.

Oh, and he has burned the bridge with the Franchise QB. That's my problem with him. 

His play calling is actually fine.  But the "anti-Kyle" folks are going to skewer him no matter what.  And think that they can do a better job.  It's really stupid. It hasn't really been that much of an issue here. 

There's actually not a heck of a lot different in the way that he's called the games, win or lose.  About 90% of the time, the problem is execution.

Now, if you ask me whether or not he's a good teacher of offense, I'd say he's flunking that class pretty spectacularly.  Because the execution has been horrendous. And he's responsible for that too.  

But this whole notion the guy doesn't know how to call plays in the "flow of a game" is just silly.  Just like the "abandon the run" cries, and then this week the "why the heck did you run down 24?!" It's never ending.  And it is an agenda.

And IF he's burned a bridge with the franchise QB, then I put that more on the QB. Who needs to shut up and grow up.  You don't always get to chose your boss in this world.

To paraphrase what someone else said in another thread, Kyle Shanahan can build a hell of a good automobile. He just shouldn't be the one driving it during the race.

How the hell did this become a Kyle Shanahan thread?  See, it happens to every thread. This was an open letter to Robert in the OP. (Which was kindof silly to being with, but all in good fun.)

Then, all of a sudden, KYLE SHANAHAN CAN'T CALL PLAYS! IT'S HIS FAULT! "He and Pops ran the ball down 24!!!" 

Kyle, the offensive play design and the offensive play calling are about the 15th thing wrong with this team, at the minimum. 

I'm getting tired of people telling RG3 to shut up.  You do realize that he has to give these interviews, right?  What do you expect from him?  As for the comment you're referencing, he's not the only player involved in the passing game.  When several of your receivers are down and the line can't protect you, you can say "we".  He's incuding himself, but he's not the only one who deserves credit/blame here.

How the hell did this become a Kyle Shanahan thread? See, it happens to every thread. This was an open letter to Robert in the OP. (Which was kindof silly to being with, but all in good fun.)

Then, all of a sudden, KYLE SHANAHAN CAN'T CALL PLAYS! IT'S HIS FAULT! "He and Pops ran the ball down 24!!!"

Kyle, the offensive play design and the offensive play calling are about the 15th thing wrong with this team, at the minimum.

I did it, you mad?

I did it, you mad?

Mad? About a post in a message board? Chuckle. No. I have much more of a life than to be mad about anything on ExtremeSkins, or really anything Redskins related. 

Madly amused that there is a cult of fans who want to skewer the OC for particular reason except they don't like the fact that he's the coach's son?  Yeah. Very madly amused by that.  

Question: Do you happen to listen to 106.7, specifically Lavar and Dukes?

Mad? About a post in a message board? Chuckle. No. I have much more of a life than to be mad about anything on ExtremeSkins, or really anything Redskins related.

Madly amused that there is a cult of fans who want to skewer the OC for particular reason except they don't like the fact that he's the coach's son? Yeah. Very madly amused by that.

Question: Do you happen to listen to 106.7, specifically Lavar and Dukes?

Good, nope I'm a 980 guy. Love Kev and Scott Jackson.

How the hell did this become a Kyle Shanahan thread? See, it happens to every thread. This was an open letter to Robert in the OP. (Which was kindof silly to being with, but all in good fun.)

Awfully testy for someone with that username lol. But point taken. To tie in back into the OP and other users discussion, im hoping that Robert can develop a better knowledge of the playbook so that HE'S the one running the offense on gamedays, and is able to pick apart defenses like Brees and Manning with more audibles and uptempo playcalling on the fly. He's only in his second season, i just hope he gets a chance to stay in the same offense long enough to get comfortable in it.

I don't want Kyle gone, i just don't particularly like his play calling, especially in the redzone or when were behind and need to be running a hurry up offense

Good, nope I'm a 980 guy. Love Kev and Scott Jackson.

That's actually fascinating.  Me too. 

I guess we differ on our opinion of Kyle.  I really don't think he's anywhere near the worst problem on the team.  I actually really think he calls a pretty good game, in general, if you really go back and look at it play-by-play. There are obviously some plays here and there that you could argue are maybe not all that great, depending on your philosophy of play calling.  But overall, I don't think play-calling or system is really the problem.

Execution is miserable.  I'd be much happier blaming the system if balls weren't flying over receiver's heads on a regular basis.  So I put a lot of blame on the players and position coaches as well as the OC, because as a group, they're all goobing it up. 

Awfully testy for someone with that username lol. But point taken. To tie in back into the OP and other users discussion, im hoping that Robert can develop a better knowledge of the playbook so that HE'S the one running the offense on gamedays, and is able to pick apart defenses like Brees and Manning with more audibles and uptempo playcalling on the fly. He's only in his second season, i just hope he gets a chance to stay in the same offense long enough to get comfortable in it.

I don't want Kyle gone, i just don't particularly like his play calling, especially in the redzone or when were behind and need to be running a hurry up offense

Very fair criticism on running hurry up earlier.  I have a theory that they just don't trust Robert to do it, and they couldn't install the full no-huddle stuff in the off-season, and gotten a lot of reps, and therefore don't trust it.  

Maybe they bring in Rex to run the no huddle? :P I kid. I kid. 

To me its just the combination of no pass protection and lack of familiarity with the playbook. Both of those were problems last season too, but this season he compounds that by having to go up against defenses that arent suprised by the read option, and without having his ability to scramble when the line breaks down because of his knee.

To me its on the coaches for pinning so much hope on him being able to repeat his rookie year with a busted ACL and not giving more attention to the line. With money next offseason oline upgrade should be priority number 1. That will give him more time to make his reads and make our recievers look better by giving him time to find the open ones and give them better passes

To paraphrase what someone else said in another thread, Kyle Shanahan can build a hell of a good automobile. He just shouldn't be the one driving it during the race.

You know...that's the best analogy I've read, regarding Kyle. Let him design the plays and have someone else call them come game time.

Its funny how many considered Kyle a hot HC commodity now he'll be lucky to get another OC gig if Mike doesn't work out here.

I'm getting tired of people telling RG3 to shut up.  You do realize that he has to give these interviews, right?  What do you expect from him?  As for the comment you're referencing, he's not the only player involved in the passing game.  When several of your receivers are down and the line can't protect you, you can say "we".  He's incuding himself, but he's not the only one who deserves credit/blame here.

I patently disagree with this on several levels:

1. He has to give interviews, but he doesn't have to say anything.  Listen to guys like Brees, Manning, Brady, etc.  They have pressers, and they say NOTHING.  It's brilliant, and their fan bases love them for it.  Hell, Manning has 2 fan bases that love him.  

2. He says a lot on Twitter and other social media sites.  Even the bumper-sticker stuff just needs to stop for the time being. 

3. He is a leader.  As the QB, he is the leader. "With great power comes great responsibility." Sometimes you just have to say it's your fault first.  On the last play of the game: "I can't make that play.  It was 3rd down, and I have to know better, no matter what, I can't make that play, and it's on me.  As a team, we all have to do better to execute."  Good leaders take all the blame and defuse all the praise.  He actually did that MUCH better last year than he's doing this year.

4. If he just came out and said, "Guys, this has been a tough year for me. The injury was tough to swallow and overcome. I missed the off-season, and it cost me valuable practice time with my team. I haven't played up to my expectations this year. All I can do is keep working to get better." That shows a tremendous amount of humility and leadership.

You know...that's the best analogy I've read, regarding Kyle. Let him design the plays and have someone else call them come game time.

Its funny how many considered Kyle a hot HC commodity now he'll be lucky to get another OC gig if Mike doesn't work out here.

He'd have 5 job opportunities in a couple weeks.  The league does not view Kyle Shanahan the way that our fan base does. 

Sometimes losing is a good thing people. Look at Carolina, they lose the first couple of years with Cam as a REBUILDING team then they add some pieces and now they're in a position to be an annual playoffs team. And if they add a true #1 receiver they might be the best team in the NFC next year. That's how good teams are built. Find the franchise QB and patiently add the pieces around him. I don't know why some fans are so happy when their bad team luckily make the playoffs. I don't see the satisfaction in squeaking into the playoffs every year and get bounce out in the first round. The Redskins were a bad team that started 3-6 last year and miraculously made the playoffs. It was just fool's gold people.

Archived