Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Long term option at QB

ajax4132

I am starting to become very skeptical of whether or not RG3 is a long term option at qb.

1. He is lacking the fundamental tools in terms of pocket presence and field vision to becoming elite

2. His accuracy...ugh

3. The leadership is very suspect, I feel like the team is not behind him

4. Shanny, for him (RG3) to elude to coaching being the reason why they lost, its inexcusable and he should be benched. I hate that attitude. No elite or even good qb conducts themselves that way. 

5. He lacks the ability to take responsibility for his play, this is the most serious issue. He doesn't have the ability to take a look in the mirror and admit that his play lost them a game, skins have lost several games due to poor qb play

I am thinking McNabb may have been on the money 

Your concerns are valid, but you must be patient and give it at least two more years.  We invested too much in him.  Plus he obviously has the skill, he is coming off major knee surgery, and has cow dung surrounding him.

Thread closed soon- thanks for the lasagna.

Thread might get closed due to redundancy, but the question is a fair one. I wish there was a way to start KC the final six games without creating a circus (there isn't) because I'd just like to see what the difference is and it would answer a lot of questions.

ajax4132, are you playing 4 at the back with a diamond midfield and two forwards? Or is it a DM and two wingers? I ask cause you obviously know more about association football than American football. :)

4-2-3-1, I miss the days of Cruyff

I am sorry for the redundancy, but this is a question that needs to be raised. 

Thread might get closed due to redundancy, but the question is a fair one. I wish there was a way to start KC the final six games without creating a circus (there isn't) because I'd just like to see what the difference is and it would answer a lot of questions.

Although Kirk may lack the physical tools that Robert has, he has a better grasp of sitting back in the pocket and making his reads and throwing the ball where it needs to go (to the best of his ability)

I'm so tired of the lets give up on RGIII attitude. Dude had a major injury, and is starting to show improvement. Perfect no, but improving and looking more comfortable. We were all in love with the guy last year, now wtf? We invested so much in him, and to throw it all away after a year n a half, coming off of a huge surgery? Really? That's small minded mentality.

I'm so tired of the lets give up on RGIII attitude. Dude had a major injury, and is starting to show improvement. Perfect no, but improving and looking more comfortable. We were all in love with the guy last year, now wtf? We invested so much in him, and to throw it all away after a year n a half, coming off of a huge surgery? Really? That's small minded mentality.

No excuse for the attitude towards shanahan, he has only been in the league 2 years. His focus should just be on being another player and getting better and better before attempting to be a calling shots

I think this is more a result of our modern culture than anything else. We are all into immediate gratification at every level in life these days. The average life span of a coach is like three years in the modern NFL. Coach Landry has 11 losing seasons or something to that effect. If he were coaching today he'd be a bitter afterthought to some hapless Cowboys fan (They're all hapless BTW.).

Patience is required with RGIII if for no other reason than his immense cost in draft picks. But we have no patience as a society anymore. For example I have started to notice KC jerseys in Hampton, VA of all places. No one wants to support a team through the bad times too. Everyone can just order up the Direct Ticket package and get the current winning team's jersey overnighted from NFL.com and be an instant winner. It's sad.

Okay, class, time for the final exam: Who is the best longterm option at QB: RG3, RG3, or RG3?

To those of you who guessed RG3, congratulations! To those of you who didn't, we are sorry, but you must repeat this grade again before you can advance to kindergarten level.

Though I'm pretty confident that Griffin is a far better option, I share this curiosity. I would like to see what a slightly more polished passer could with the current talent level on the team.

I also don't think the gist of the OP is out of bounds. If Griffin isn't great (not just good enough, but great) that trade is going to be horrendous for our team. If we don't get better production than we could have gotten without the trade-up, it's going to be a pretty bad situation.

This is why we shouldn't have drafted Cousins because people knew in the event of RG3 struggling the immediate reaction amongst fans and media is to put in the other guy. Young QBs struggle. Young QBs coming off major knee surgery struggle and especially young QBs coming off major knee surgery with questionable supporting casts do in fact struggle. 

Why do we have zero patience for a young QB following a superstar rookie year, trying to develop and grow? Have we been so spoiled by the past 30 years of franchise QBs that donned the Redskins jersey that we are just not used to a struggling or developing QB? No, that can't be it...

I am starting to become very skeptical of whether or not RG3 is a long term option at qb.

1. He is lacking the fundamental tools in terms of pocket presence and field vision to becoming elite

2. His accuracy...ugh

3. The leadership is very suspect, I feel like the team is not behind him

4. Shanny, for him (RG3) to elude to coaching being the reason why they lost, its inexcusable and he should be benched. I hate that attitude. No elite or even good qb conducts themselves that way. 

5. He lacks the ability to take responsibility for his play, this is the most serious issue. He doesn't have the ability to take a look in the mirror and admit that his play lost them a game, skins have lost several games due to poor qb play

I am thinking McNabb may have been on the money 

Your post suggests that you have been sniffing ajax.

I have an idea.  It's a bit crazy but hear me out.

What if we were to NOT line up three people in the backfield with our QB and then try to pass out of that set.

What if we were to line up Alfred in the back field with Garcon, Moss, and Robinson spread out wide.  

What if we were to line up Reed on the same side as Polumbus to help chip the rusher as he came out into his pattern.

What if Alfred stayed into block if there was a blitz up the middle but would release our into the flat if there was not one, not only helping to create a picket and protect our QB, but also moving a MLB outside the middle of the field.

What if we ran bunch patterns with quick strike passes and rub routes.

What if we did all these things with a former rookie of the year QB?

This is why we shouldn't have drafted Cousins because people knew in the event of RG3 struggling the immediate reaction amongst fans and media is to put in the other guy. Young QBs struggle.

One of the reasons I didn't want to draft him either.  You just drafted a QB, why draft another?  It was a dumb pick.

Now we have ourselves a conundrum.  I'd like to see what Cousins can do, but that would cause a hail storm of ninjas.

Archived