Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stephen A Smith: "I Have VERY Reliable Sources That Shanahan Did Not Want To Move Up To Draft RGIII, He Wanted Tannehill."

DM72

I know a lot of people will probably say Stephen A doesn't know what he's talking about, but I doubt that he'll sit there and lie on national TV. According to him, his source also said that Dan Snyder was behind the RGIII pick. I, myself had said that I don't believe Shanahan ever truly wanted RGIII and I was told that I was totally clueless among other things.

We will NEVER move forward with Shanahan as our head coach. Star QB and headcoach simply don't get along.

Are we gonna start this again??? Don't remember Shanny attending Tannehill combine, but he was ALL OVER RGIII' s combine. This the same Stephen A Smith who degrades anyone he can get away with it.

And you've seen his contract? I would think an owner could veto any deal he want.

Seriously?  The only "veto" power an owner has is to fire/terminate the contract, but they are still on the hook for every penny owed.  The owner cannot come in and change the deal in a contract without have to go through a full legal process of creating a new contract and the coach would have to agree to it and sign it for it to be valid.  Otherwise, the owner would be inbreach of contract and could end up losing a lot more than the full sum of the contract's salary when the coach sues the owner and easily wins.

Riddle me this, why has'nt Coach Shanny benched RGIII for performance issues this year? The play from #10 has been erratic and may have earned him a temporary or permanent bench from some of the less patient coaches around the NFL.

You would think a coach who never wanted RGIII would be chomping at the bit to replace him with the white boy right? After all is'nt Shanny's ego the most important thing here? Why hasn't he stuck it to the DAN by changing QBs?

This whole story is baloney and this thread needs to be closed.

Seriously?  The only "veto" power an owner has is to fire/terminate the contract, but they are still on the hook for every penny owed.  The owner cannot come in and change the deal in a contract without have to go through a full legal process of creating a new contract and the coach would have to agree to it and sign it for it to be valid.  Otherwise, the owner would be inbreach of contract and could end up losing a lot more than the full sum of the contract's salary when the coach sues the owner and easily wins.

Lol...Who said anything about an owner breaching a contract?

Riddle me this, why has'nt Coach Shanny benched RGIII for performance issues this year? The play from #10 has been erratic and may have earned him a temporary or permanent bench from some of the less patient coaches around the NFL. You would think a coach who never wanted RGIII would be chomping at the bit to replace him with the white boy right? After all is'nt Shanny's ego the most important thing here? Why hasn't he stuck it to the DAN by changing QBs? This whole story is baloney and this thread needs to be closed.

The beating RGIII is taking, eventually he won't have to bench him.

Riddle me this, why has'nt Coach Shanny benched RGIII for performance issues this year? The play from #10 has been erratic and may have earned him a temporary or permanent bench from some of the less patient coaches around the NFL.

You would think a coach who never wanted RGIII would be chomping at the bit to replace him with the white boy right? After all is'nt Shanny's ego the most important thing here? Why hasn't he stuck it to the DAN by changing QBs?

This whole story is baloney and this thread needs to be closed.

I think you stumbled onto a good point: why hasn't Mike S. benched Griff?

I think its because Mike judges QB play differently then fans. Mike likely judges QB play in context with the 10 other players and in respect on how the play call worked against the defense.

I believe if Mike S thought Griff was the problem he wouldn't hesitate to bench him.

Lets not forget at different points Mike S. benched Steve Young, John Elway, Jake Plummer and McNabb.

SUM:I doubt Mikw S thinks Griff is playing anywhere near as bad as fans think.

I think you stumbled onto a good point: why hasn't Mike S. benched Griff?

I think its because Mike judges QB play differently then fans. Mike likely judges QB play in context with the 10 other players and in respect on how the play call worked against the defense.

I believe if Mike S thought Griff was the problem he wouldn't hesitate to bench him.

Lets not forget at different points Mike S. benched Steve Young, John Elway, Jake Plummer and McNabb.

Mike benched the multi-million dollar McNabb in 2010 despite a nasty backlash from the fans and media.

I'm 100% certain he'd bench griff if he thought it was best for the team.

I'll ask it again. What other coach draft a QB with the number 2 pick and then draft another in the 4th when you have a ton of holes to fill? Cousin was obviously a compromise between Shanahan and the people who wanted RGIII.

I think that's wrong. He drafted Cousins to hopefully one day trade him back for some of what we lost in the trade for RG3. At this point we NEED to trade Cousins, he is too much of an asset to not use in anyway. Maybe we won't get as high of a pick as we thought around this time last year, but I'll take a 2nd or 3rd for him at this point. We need to start filling holes in our team so OUR QB doesn't get hurt and have to do it all himself.

I remember seeing an interview with Bruce Allen and he said they made the trade because there were two franchise quarterbacks in the draft and they knew they would end up with one of them with the second pick. I also remember Shanahan really throwing high praise #10's way last season. Stuff like he could be the best QB ever and many more complements. I think they got who they wanted. I think the problem right now is Shanahan and RGIII both have huge ego's and maybe they are clashing a bit. Cam Newton had a rough second season and has looked very good this year, I think Robert will work hard this offseason and be spectacular again next year.

interesting thing there. if this is true, and most people think its either 1) griff playing poorly OR 2) kyles playcalling thats causing the offensive inconsistency- what does he think of the job kyles doing?

Alright, so I'll probably get banhammered immediately, but NLC here, back to stop this dumb "Shanny didn't want RG3" **** in it's ****ing tracks.

Mike Shanahan always wanted Robert Griffin III. He wanted him since he started scouting quarterbacks in late 2011. Mike's quarterback board was basically 1.) Luck (because duh), 2.) RGIII, and then 3-5 was some combo of Tannehill, Wilson and Cousins. Once it became clear that Indy had no interest in RGIII, Mike was all in on drafting him.

Mike wasn't even particularly miffed about parting ways with the three first round picks. Mike's only --- ONLY --- concern was that he didn't want to part with the 2012 2nd round pick. That was the sticking point. Eventually, Mike got over that hang up (particularly with the Browns lowballing the Rams) and conceded the 2012 2nd round pick to get the guy he wanted.

If --- IF, big IF, IF IF IF, AND ONLY IF --- Mike hadn't been able to get the deal done to draft Robert Griffin III, then he was okay with keeping his picks and drafting Tannehill.

When Stephen A. Smith says Mike didn't want RG3, he's lying. Or he's horribly misinformed. Or both. But he ain't right. Mike's got complete autonomy over the football operations. If he didn't want RG3 he wouldn't be here, point blank period. Nobody's going to tell Mike to do something to do something he doesn't want to do.

Anyone buying this garbage lie from the least reliable source on the planet is looking for **** to complain about to validate their, quite frankly, completely and utterly wrong opinions. 

Also, there was no "compromise" on Kirk Cousins. He was the best player available and they needed a back-up to replace Rex.

Am I the only on that's sees this ? It seems now a days in the NFL everyone wants a instant Elite QB . Right now there are only 4 "elites" Brady , Peyton , Brees and Rodgers. Qbs need a few years to devlope  PERIOD . Just like in the real world when you start a new job , yea you can be good at it . But it takes time to master it and hone it all in. 

Last year was a good year and may of spoiled you guys . Of course this year would be harder,  simply because there is tape on Robert and teams could plan better. It also does not help his injury last season hopefully it was a big wake up for him .  With that being said his injury set him back a bit further then normal.

We have the same problem in Philly with Foles people want him to be super man and get made because he is not . Lets use Rodgers and Brady as an example both were lucky they were not just thrown to the wolves , they got eased in which imo helps a lot. Rodgers waited 6 years for his turn. I like to pke fun but its all just that Fun Rivalry stuff. RG has a chance to be really good in this league , just support him and give him time. He is only 23 of course the Fame and money goes to the head . Just be glad he is not Vick :D

Also, there was no "compromise" on Kirk Cousins. He was the best player available and they needed a back-up to replace Rex.

Yep.  I honestly think they though Wilson was going to be there too, but regardless, we needed another QB.  Got lucky to have 12 there.

And welcome back Cotter.  Don't stay away so long next time ;)

I'll ask it again. What other coach draft a QB with the number 2 pick and then draft another in the 4th when you have a ton of holes to fill? Cousin was obviously a compromise between Shanahan and the people who wanted RGIII.

No, Cousins was drafted because nobody, Mike, Kyle, Bruce or Dan ever wanted to see Rex Grossman take another snap in a Redskin uniform.

And if you don't believe that, you didn't watch 2011.  

Archived