Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stephen A Smith: "I Have VERY Reliable Sources That Shanahan Did Not Want To Move Up To Draft RGIII, He Wanted Tannehill."

DM72

You are basing that assumption off of one year, while also thinking we would have drafted the same players.  Furthermore, I would take Tavon Austin right about now.

We need help everywhere.

After one game, where his biggest damage was done in the return game? Which wouldn't happen in this coaching scheme?

Not that I don't think he's talented, but he's been terrible at picking up their offense and has spent countless games averaging 7.8 YPC or less.

He's had a slightly bigger impact for them than Aldrick Robinson has had for us this year.

I don't have any proof of it, but I've suspected this for the better part of a year. I'm not saying Smith isn't a completely useless tool, but he may have found an acorn here.

Let's look at Shanny's history in terms of QBs

He inherits Jon Elway. Some rifts at first, but when Elway finally starts to buy in to "his system" good things happen. Like 48-10 over three seasons good. But Elway departed and Shanahan had to find another QB. Here's who he drafts/selects:

Brian Griese - Not a superstar. Average skill set. Game manager. But the kind of guy who would listen to Mike Shanahan and do his system.

Jake Plummer - Many thought he was a lost cause. Mike took him, molded him to his system and got production out of him. Still a game manager type with some scrambling ability.

Jay Cutler - Obviously not a game manager. However he was very raw. Big arm, but a small program. Shanhan took him and molded him to his system.

McNabb/Grossman - McNabb wouldn't do things Shanny's way and we saw what happened. Grossman existed because he knew the system.

John Beck - Again, Shanahan takes an unknown QB and says his system will make him better than eveyrone thought. This time, he failed.

So what is the underlying theme? None of these guys were huge stars. They were either raw or simply thought of as the game manager types. Shanahan took them, believing that his system would make them better than the rest of the NFL thought they would be. But through all of this, only one could be considered a franchise QB. And with only one of them was he successful.

Now, remember that this is DC and we haven't had any real success in 20+ years. Snyder has been the franchise owner for a while and, in all that time, the Redskins never had consistent play from the QB position. Big time free agents, under the radar guys, the draft . . .  all had failed. Dan Snyder was slowly watching his franchise lose value and struggle without a big name QB.

Enter Robert Griffin III. It was obvious that he was the number 2 QB in that draft. Dynamic, outgoing, outspoken, energetic, with charisma and tact oozing out of his body. He was the stud QB that Snyder had wanted for a long time. And it just so happened that the team with the number 2 pick didn't want him. They wanted to add picks, not start all over. So Griffin was there for the taking.

The problem is that RG3 is pretty much nothing like any other QB Shanahan has taken before. They were all quiet guys with talent and a ton of "football smarts." They knew about coverages and playbooks. Griffin knew nothing of them. He didn't even have a playbook at Baylor. Griffin was outgoing and not afraid to talk to the media. In fact, he welcomed it. Played it up. He was a big name, with a big name history, from a big time program. He was a superstar. He was the opposite of everything Shanhan had looked for in a QB until 2012.

You know who wasn't? Ryan Tannehill. A converted receiver with a big arm and a lot of athleticism, but no real bad habits. Had learned some playbook stuff. But mostly, Tannehill wasn't a superstar from day one. He's the kind of guy that was going to take a couple years to develop before becoming a quality passer. Under the radar but with a ton of potential. And the Redskins were perfectly placed to grab him.

But Snyder goes to the Griffin workout and is amazed. He's throwing, he's running, he's being his charasmatic self. And Dan Synder doesn't just see winning football games. He sees dollar signs. A franchise guy, in the same name with Rodgers and Manning. The kind of guy that brings national level endorsements and national level attention. Now, he probably didn't demand it. He probably made some verbal hints. Things like, here it is year three and we still don't have a franchise guy. Only got a couple more seasons, Mike.

Shanahan is looking at the two and realizes he probably doesn't have that two to three years to develop Tannehill. He knows there are holes on this team and that, frankly, getting to .500 in Tannehill's rookie season would be difficult. So, between that logic and seeing his owner going gaga for Griffin, he signs off on the trade. Not really wanting to do it, but not really having much of a choice either.

You are basing that assumption off of one year, while also thinking we would have drafted the same players.  Furthermore, I would take Tavon Austin right about now.

We need help everywhere.

Tavon Austin was a top 10 pick, our draft choice wouldn't have been anywhere close to that.

I don't think that's true. Again, if he was not respected, would he ever break a story? Would he get one on one interviews with A-list athletes? 

Just because he gets interviews and is on the television/radio, it does not mean he gets respect.  It just means that he generates ratings.  He's the counterpart to the other media douche bag, Skip Bayless.  The collective purpose for the both of them is to fling **** and hope something sticks.

Just because he gets interviews and is on the television/radio, it does not mean he gets respect.  It just means that he generates ratings.  He's the counterpart to the other media douche bag, Skip Bayless.  The collective purpose for the both of them is to fling **** and hope something sticks.

They do sometimes say some ridiculous things(Skip/Tebow), but they do offer some good takes on some issues. Just because people don't want to hear it or doesn't like who's saying it, doesn't mean it's not true.

I loved Robert as a prospect and thought he was the best QB in that draft (even better then Luck), Griff was one of the most talented QB prospects I've ever seen.

But, I didn't want to MOVE UP to draft Robert either not because I don't like Robert but rather I feel the cost of moving up for any player limits the ability to build a team.

SUM: Even IF we assume that Mike S didn't want to MOVE UP for Griffin doesn't mean he doesn't love Griffin as a talent.

Tavon Austin was a top 10 pick, our draft choice wouldn't have been anywhere close to that.

Oh yeah you're right my bad, I was just thinking Rams draft picks.  I guess we would've been down in the mid 20s- which even then would help.  My main point is that we mortgaged our future on RG3, and it is looking that great right about now, expecially considering how weak we are at every position.  

Oh yeah you're right my bad, I was just thinking Rams draft picks.  I guess we would've been down in the mid 20s- which even then would help.  My main point is that we mortgaged our future on RG3, and it is looking that great right about now, expecially considering how weak we are at every position.  

The problem is im sure they made the trade assuming they could add pieces through Free Agency. What was it less than a week after we made the trade we got slapped with the BS cap penalty?

It's very possible that Shanahan did not want give up the picks that it would take to get RG3.  This does not mean that he didn't want RG3 or thinks Tannehill is better QB.

Many of us were against giving up so much for a single player.  Why should Shanahan be any different?

That makes sense.  

I don't think that's true. Again, if he was not respected, would he ever break a story? Would he get one on one interviews with A-list athletes? No. YOU don't respect him. Again, I don't really care that much for him myself, but when someone like him says he have very good reliable sources, I tend to listen.

Why would he break a story that's not true? TO GET ATTENTION. Once again.... he is not respected. He is often not only wrong, but completely clueless about the things he is talking about. He is simply a talking head who is only on TV because he is a loud mouthed ass who gets ratings with outrageous statements. 

And you've seen his contract? I would think an owner could veto any deal he want.

You just keep making *** up. This is your dumbest statement yet and it proves beyond any shadow of a doubt that you have no clue what you are talking about, and and you are too set in your misguided beliefs to listen to anything anyone is trying to tell you. 

Have fun in fantasy land. I'm outa here.

I loved Robert as a prospect and thought he was the best QB in that draft (even better then Luck), Griff was one of the most talented QB prospects I've ever seen.

But, I didn't want to MOVE UP to draft Robert either not because I don't like Robert but rather I feel the cost of moving up for any player limits the ability to build a team.

SUM: Even IF we assume that Mike S didn't want to MOVE UP for Griffin doesn't mean he doesn't love Griffin as a talent.

Agreed.

I would also add that at that point Shanny had the juice to call the shots and get exactly what he wanted certainly in terms of draft targets and player acquisition. If he had wanted Tannehill rather than RGIII he would have drafted Tannehill.

I can certainly understand though if during the evaluation process we weighed the cost versus benefit of moving up for RGIII versus staying put and taking Tannehill. In the end Mike pulled the trigger on a deal which sent two first round picks plus use of a third first round pick on RGIII - that tells you how he views the talent RGIII has. Not had, has.

Teams evaluate a lot of players during the draft, and they fall in love with many of them when they know they're not going to draft them. Even if he preferred Tannehill, I'm sure he's happy with RGIII too. Newsflash: a majority of the players on any given team weren't the first choice.

Interesting theory.

There's a part of me that wouldn't be surprised if this rumor was indeed true.

I'm really starting to sense that Griffin and Shanahan is a marriage that's on the verge of ending.

I guess we'll see what the offseason has in store for both of them.

Archived