Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaching cost us this one.

MustangSteve

Offense: ZERO throws over 15 yards until the 4th quarter and down 24-0, (besides early miscue). Way to attack a defense Kyle! They could have shut your offense out very easily. Biggest game of the year and you don't even go after them. This game is played North and South Kyle, it doesn't have to be cute, just effective. Way to ruin our season Kyle.

Defense: What a joke! The absolute worse coaching, alignments and game plan I have ever seen in my life. Ryan Kerrigan covering the #1 RB in the league, for real Haslett? You need to pack it up and leave now. You have not only ruined a top 10 defense here, but you gave us the worst defense to ever play this game. You are an embarrassment to this organization.

Special Teams: Hahahaha more like special ed.

Mike Shanahan: All this above is what you allowed because you are too proud to admit you were wrong in Hiring Haslett and not holding your son and his QB accountable for piss poor decisions. Griffin should have been benched in the 3rd qrt and no I'm not impressed at the almost comeback, it's only garbage stats.

The 2013 Washington Redskins should have been and would have been in sole possession of 1st place right now if they were being coached right, and we all know they aren't. I could care less if none of you are here next season.  

What about these beefs between players who add value to our team? I don't get it. Parcells hated TO but he played him because he played well on Sunday.

Mike has these personal beefs he lets get in the way of the best players playing and its so stupid. :mellow:

He needs to be shown a doghouse and then the door.

My fellow ESers,

For years, I've been optimistic far beyond the scope of reason, but this year, I just haven't been able to find the enthusiasm to believe. It really has to do with the stupid mistakes. That stupid has infected every part of the team. From failing to being able to field a punt at the 30 and letting it dribble to the five, to heaving a high soft lob down the middle that no one other than a defender has any hope to catch. The stupid starts with the coaching, but the players have caught the bug.

Last year, Griffin was not a one read qb. Why has he regressed this badly? Why are we the only team in the NFL that can't find anyone even capable of fielding a punt? Why is 3rd and 18 a gimme for opponents?

Last week, I found myself questioning the team's courage, this week, we played without heart for three quarters and without a brain pretty much the whole game. I so want to run down the burgandy and gold brick road... but hell, we even had a game where the refs played it straight... they may have even favored us on a few calls and we looked hapless, hopeless, lost.

I don't know what it will take. I do believe this season is completely lost. Frankly, I'd bench RGIII and put Rex Grossman out there. I wouldn't even go to Kirk. Have Royster start at running back and IR anyone that you think has potential because nothing good can come out of this season.

I don't believe in firing coaches mid season, but Haslett is useless and while I think Kyle has some potential, this year even on good plays he's getting RGIII hit every play and I am worried about him becoming shell shocked like Ramsey or David Carr.

It's time to find a great college coach who had been an NFL assistant at one time, that seems to be the trend and roll the dice. For years, I screamed "Never say die!"

I just see nothing right now.

Well, nothing but Alfred Morris who played a hell of a game and doesn't deserve the crap he's surrounded by.

So last week we have a thread titled "have we abandoned the run?" And for weeks the coaching staff is reamed on here for ignoring the "strength" of this team which is the running game. But now the coaches are terrible because they aren't throwing the ball........... at what point is it the players not executing?

Not to mention, I seem to remember Paulsen running wide open downfield in the first quarter and being overthrown by 10 yards.......

My fellow ESers,

I don't know what it will take. I do believe this season is completely lost. Frankly, I'd bench RGIII and put Rex Grossman out there. I wouldn't even go to Kirk. Have Royster start at running back and IR anyone that you think has potential because nothing good can come out of this season.

I don't believe in firing coaches mid season, but Haslett is useless

Totally agree, why chance Griffin getting hurt, sit him down for the season and lets see what Cousins really has to offer. Haslett is useless and needs to go yesterday. No wrong can happen for firing him now, hell we might end up having an average defense for the rest of the season. That alone is worth watching.

Man, there's blame on the coaches, but the ST (incompetent punting and punt returns) were awful and Griffin missed numerous targets, including Robinson at the end on a TD that would have given us a chance to tie it up.  

We need some change nevertheless.

This team should have never been down 24-0, that was all coaching on all 3 phases.

So last week we have a thread titled "have we abandoned the run?" And for weeks the coaching staff is reamed on here for ignoring the "strength" of this team which is the running game. But now the coaches are terrible because they aren't throwing the ball........... at what point is it the players not executing?

Not to mention, I seem to remember Paulsen running wide open downfield in the first quarter and being overthrown by 10 yards.

Play calling, The play calling sucked the entire game. 24-0 late in the game and you run 2 times in a row? NO down field passes at all, until it was too late.

Sitting Griffin is not a realistic option.  If we do that then we might as well release him.  He's got to take his lumps and hopefully learn something.  It may be hard to learn something with our wet kleenex offensive line, but sitting him is not an option.  Griffin is our only hope for the future.  Sitting him may prevent injury, but he will most assuredly quit on the team if we do that.  

I truly believe calling a run at the end of the game is a difference between putting a young QB in a position to throw the pass he did and a chance to possibly put us in a position to tie the game. No, I am not happy with the decision RGIII made with the

at pass, but I'm as upset with the play call as I am with the end result.

Is this thread serious? I would say the main theme of today's game was that it is about anything but the coaches. The offense is incredibly limited by RGIII being a poor passer. He is unable to read a defense and if a defense focuses on limiting Morris and identifying/eliminating RGIII's first read a busted play is pretty much the result 10/10 times. It is like pulling a tooth to get a first down with RGIII throwing the ball most of this year because he just looks for THE guy on any given play, if that guy is not open by the time RGIII realizes he can't pass it to him somebody is getting pressure. This is not a post saying RGIII should be pulled so don't read it that way but our coaches and offense are hamstrung right now by RGIII's lack of ability right now as a cerebral or diagnostic QB. That is a fact. Most teams have figured this out and have been very effective this year forcing him to beat them as a passer. It's the reason our offense has struggled most of the year. 

Our secondary blows. Period. If we get any pressure it doesn't matter because usually someone is open and quickly. If we don't get pressure, well, same result, just usually worse. Over every offseason you get better or worse. We were unable to add anything in free agency and while we got a piece or two in the draft, Amerson is no savior in the secondary (obviously) and Reed, while I'm ecstatic about his future, is at one position where we didn't really NEED another player (trust me, I don't regret the pick, it's just the truth). I'm not really sure how you can look at how the players are performing on the field and put hardly any of it on the coaches. 

Mustang the fact that we had no downfield passes had a lot more to do with the fact that RGIII looked totally lost out there as a passer than having anything to do with playcalling. The same could be said about running Morris into the ground for a few series as well - Morris was churning out yards but it had just as much to do with the fact that putting the ball in RGIII's hands at that point was literally our worst option. If you couldn't recognize RGIII today as the biggest limiting factor in our offense, then you simply weren't paying attention or refused to see it. 

What you guys don't understand is that if we get rid of Kyle we lose this running game. I don't want to make this seem like that's neccessarily a bad thing. But if we change systems, we are probably going to have to rebuild at running back, and offensive line.

Defense was typical -- porous for the most part, but tightening up a bit in the second half. Still, it still seems more about personnel issues at LB and safety, with wobbly play by the CBs. I think Haslett may be eased out in the offseason, but it's difficult too build schemes to cover for so many gaps of quality players. (Slowik should retire, but I suspect he'll linger on.)

Special Teams -- I wouldn't be surprised to see Burns let go, but I suspect Shanahan only does it if a superior coaching talent was out there. New special-teams leaders need to emerge, Rocca needs to be replaced and a decent returns threat needs to be found.

Offense: O-line coach Foerster should be on the hot-seat. The O-Line protection is more unreliable than usual, and none of the new talent has been developed well enough to improve the trouble spots. Hard to tell about the receivers coach, TV coverage doesn't give enough full-field views. From my view, Kyle Shanahan is still drawing up good plays, but Griffin's unreliable passing has skewed Kyle's play-calling. (Hard to call lots of running plays when the defenders are stacking against it, because they aren't threatened by Griffin's passing.)

I have been complaining for 4 years that Haslett and Shanaha$$ has trashed our top 10 D from the very beginning.  Haslett is a complete a$$ and we are setting the all time (worst D) record for points allowed in Redskins history of A 16 GAME SCHEDULE. This is absolutely the most insane decision for Snyder to subject the fans to this nonsense and act like nothing is wrong.  The record Shanahan has accomplished with Haslett is having the 4th,6th,9th, and now 1st worst points allowed in the 34th year of a 16 game schedule in the history of this franchise.  This after being a top 10 D for the 3 years prior to Shanahan's hire.   This was done before the salary cap penalty (which Shanahan and Allen caused) so that is not an excuse.  We returned everyone for his one winning season so this is on the coaches again.  What make's this totally unbearable, is that Shanahan came here with the attitude that "it will take a long time" to improve our team.  What a loser mentality!  I have listed the numerous coaches who just since his hire, have turned their teams around immediately. Now count another in the Eagles coach (who were last place last year)and he never ever coached in the NFL, and whipped and embarrassed Shanahan twice!  SNYDER  WAKE UP AND FIRE THESE USELESS COACHES IMMEDIATELY. 

I think the coaches are getting the most they possibly can out of the offense. If the QB plays well, it works. If he doesn't, it doesn't work. That's kinda how every NFL offense is. Today the QB sucked. Vince Lombardi wouldn't have made it any better.

The D I agree is crap, but that's on both personnel AND coaching.

Defense was typical -- porous for the most part, but tightening up a bit in the second half. Still, it still seems more about personnel issues at LB and safety, with wobbly play by the CBs. I think Haslett may be eased out in the offseason, but it's difficult too build schemes to cover for so many gaps of quality players. (Slowik should retire, but I suspect he'll linger on.)

Special Teams -- I wouldn't be surprised to see Burns let go, but I suspect Shanahan only does it if a superior coaching talent was out there. New special-teams leaders need to emerge, Rocca needs to be replaced and a decent returns threat needs to be found.

Offense: O-line coach Foerster should be on the hot-seat. The O-Line protection is more unreliable than usual, and none of the new talent has been developed well enough to improve the trouble spots. Hard to tell about the receivers coach, TV coverage doesn't give enough full-field views. From my view, Kyle Shanahan is still drawing up good plays, but Griffin's unreliable passing has skewed Kyle's play-calling. (Hard to call lots of running plays when the defenders are stacking against it, because they aren't threatened by Griffin's passing.)

Well said Wyvern. Part of the reason I like John Keim so much is I feel like he incorporates a lot of what he hears from professional coaches and players that know what they are talking about rather than just his opinion based on what he sees like any other fan. When he consistently states that Haslett has plenty of respect around the league as a good coach, simply not one of the best D coordinators - I see that as very accurate. Haslett is not the problem with his unit. Keith Burns, however, is the problem with his, plus they are lacking a leader that they needed in Lorenzo Alexander. 

The Shanahan's are far from the problem with our offense. That is so blatantly obvious. I'm not saying Kyle is the greatest coordinator in the league. But he is far from the problem with our offense. 

.......... at what point is it the players not executing?

Is this thread serious? I would say the main theme of today's game was that it is about anything but the coaches. 

and not only that... the officiating was spot on. That crew should do the Super Bowl.

Not to mention, I seem to remember Paulsen running wide open downfield in the first quarter and being overthrown by 10 yards.......

The problem is that Kyle has a bad habit of abandoning the run and only passing the ball on almost every play. Today, he did the opposite. Kyle needs to put an index card on his bathroom mirror that he looks at every day that says: "Balance." Because he is apparently not familiar with the word. He's one-sided so often in his play calling.

The other big problem .. the biggest right now .. is that Haslett can not call a game at all. After four years, this should be apparent to Mike and he should have been fired weeks (years) ago. I'm certain that one of our assistant defensive coaches could do far better! Haslett has misused some incredible talent on this team with his crappy schemes! I'll give them credit for stopping Philth in the 4th quarter, but they were consistently lost in quarters 1-3.

Is this thread serious? I would say the main theme of today's game was that it is about anything but the coaches. The offense is incredibly limited by RGIII being a poor passer. He is unable to read a defense and if a defense focuses on limiting Morris and identifying/eliminating RGIII's first read a busted play is pretty much the result 10/10 times. It is like pulling a tooth to get a first down with RGIII throwing the ball most of this year because he just looks for THE guy on any given play, if that guy is not open by the time RGIII realizes he can't pass it to him somebody is getting pressure. This is not a post saying RGIII should be pulled so don't read it that way but our coaches and offense are hamstrung right now by RGIII's lack of ability right now as a cerebral or diagnostic QB. That is a fact. Most teams have figured this out and have been very effective this year forcing him to beat them as a passer. It's the reason our offense has struggled most of the year. 

Mustang the fact that we had no downfield passes had a lot more to do with the fact that RGIII looked totally lost out there as a passer than having anything to do with playcalling. The same could be said about running Morris into the ground for a few series as well - Morris was churning out yards but it had just as much to do with the fact that putting the ball in RGIII's hands at that point was literally our worst option. If you couldn't recognize RGIII today as the biggest limiting factor in our offense, then you simply weren't paying attention or refused to see it. 

I agree so much. I don't know how anyone can look at Griffin and say it's the playcalling that's the problem. In fact, I'd guess the playcalling has plenty of receivers running past 15 yards. But Griffin absolutely can't make a play to them. He's a single target passer, and even that is iffy when he misses them half the time.

I don't think Kyle gets a free pass here, but to say it's all on the coach is ridiculous.

The only reason why I would say the coaching cost us in this one is because these players are a product of the coaches. We have the most explosive running game in football. That's it. This team has no other upside other than that. Passing seems dated. Special teams are the laughing stock of the league. Defense would be the laughing stock if people weren't already done laughing at us after last year. After 4 years of Shanahan, it is clear that this team cannot "dominate teams." No matter what team we play, where we play, how many injured players they have, etc, we will always be in a close game. I want the Shanahans to succeed because I want to see this brand of running be successful in the NFL; however, it is becoming increasingly obvious that our passing game will never be at top of the league levels with this regime and we must move on. 

Our secondary blows. Period. If we get any pressure it doesn't matter because usually someone is open and quickly. If we don't get pressure, well, same result, just usually worse. Over every offseason you get better or worse. We were unable to add anything in free agency and while we got a piece or two in the draft, Amerson is no savior in the secondary (obviously) and Reed, while I'm ecstatic about his future, is at one position where we didn't really NEED another player (trust me, I don't regret the pick, it's just the truth). I'm not really sure how you can look at how the players are performing on the field and put hardly any of it on the coaches. 

Griffin definitely had a terrible game, but there was no since of urgency this entire game. The team was not even close to being prepared for the biggest game of the season. The defense was out of position, exposed for every weakness and these mistakes are all products from coaching. I'm seriously starting to wonder if our coaches believe in this team. 

The only reason why I would say the coaching cost us in this one is because these players are a product of the coaches. We have the most explosive running game in football. That's it. This team has no other upside other than that. Passing seems dated. Special teams are the laughing stock of the league. Defense would be the laughing stock if people weren't already done laughing at us after last year. After 4 years of Shanahan, it is clear that this team cannot "dominate teams." No matter what team we play, where we play, how many injured players they have, etc, we will always be in a close game. I want the Shanahans to succeed because I want to see this brand of running be successful in the NFL; however, it is becoming increasingly obvious that our passing game will never be at top of the league levels with this regime and we must move on. 

Well said Royale!

Archived