Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

The Cardinals aren't likely to just let one of the best receivers in the league walk away without a fight. From what I know of Fitz, he wants to be a Cardinal, and will likely stay there. In my opinion, he's starting to decline, and since he's a Cardinal at heart, he won't raise it beyond their means.

In the meantime, if we're rebuilding and want a stud WR that can be to Griff what Megatron is to Stafford, I don't think we should focus on a 30 year old to be our future, especially if you think he wants megabucks that the Cardinals can't pay.

Defensive needs? Assuming we re-sign (minimum) Hall, Riley and Orakpo or Jackson - NT, DE, S, ILB and corner.

In house candidates (including our FAs): DE - Baker, Carriker. NT - Baker, Jenkins. S - Thomas, Rambo, Meriweather, Jackson (I know, I know). Corner - Crawford, Wilson, Biggers, Minnifield. ILB - Barnett, Robinson, Compton.

Offensive needs? O-line and WR.

In house candidates - WR - Hankerson, Robinson. O-line - Gettis, Compton, LeRibeus, Hurt.

Out of those I think I am least confident at NT, WR, safety and tackle.

Think on defense we're closer to fielding a good 4-3 than a good 3-4, with two good rush ends in Rak and Kerrigan. Riley could be a good MLB. Who are the OLBs though? Needs work.

Or if we're staying 3-4, needs include a stud NT to let Cofield slide over to DE, and we need a VERY solid ILB to line up beside Riley. Choose Kerrigan or Rak, not both. Sign Jackson for cheaper, he's better on coverage than either of them.

A FS is needed in either scenario, and please bring Merriweather back as a SS.

Shanahan has shown he can draft well after the 2nd round? This is news to me. Other than his obligatory RB miracle in the 6th, Reed and maybe Cousins, what exactly are you referring to? We have four years worth of drafts to look back on--you're impressed?

Yes I'm very confindent. RG3, Trent, Amerson, Morris, Helu, Kerrigan. I think you're just very upset at the record, but these guys are our core.

This is the salary situation that would come along with Fitzgerald:

2014: $12.75 million, 2015: $8 million (+ $8 million roster bonus), 2016: $15 million, 2017-2018: $14.75 million, 2019: Free Agent

Plus, the cap space will need to accomodate both the salary to replace the player we trade and the cap hit involved in the trade.  The cap hit can be avoided by trading draft choices, but my guess is that it would take the #2 in 2014 and the #1 in 2015.  Otherwise, it needs to be a player with some years on his contract - Williams or Morris are about all there is to offer.  I wouldn't be cool with that.

On offense I'd go line-heavy. Don't worry about the huge targets at WR like Fitz... Try to sign a tier 2 guy that might be a little undervalued like Decker or maybe Hakeem Nicks due to injury and performance concerns. Then draft someone like Brandon Coleman, etc in the 2nd. That would leave us with 2 above average WRs as starters and a young stud to develop that wouldn't be forced to start early.

But we need help big time on the line. OG, RT, OG, C in that order are all positions that could use an upgrade.

The Cardinals aren't likely to just let one of the best receivers in the league walk away without a fight. From what I know of Fitz, he wants to be a Cardinal, and will likely stay there. In my opinion, he's starting to decline, and since he's a Cardinal at heart, he won't raise it beyond their means.

In the meantime, if we're rebuilding and want a stud WR that can be to Griff what Megatron is to Stafford, I don't think we should focus on a 30 year old to be our future, especially if you think he wants megabucks that the Cardinals can't pay.

They don't need to fight - he has a really nice contract with the Cards from his standpoint.  About $30M in the next two years.  See details in my post above.

They don't need to fight - he has a really nice contract with the Cards from his standpoint.  About $30M in the next two years.  See details in my post above.

Exactly. I didn't bother to look up the exact numbers, but my point is that the Cards will pay him just as well as we could, and to pay him more would be a bad choice.

Yes I'm very confindent. RG3, Trent, Amerson, Morris, Helu, Kerrigan. I think you're just very upset at the record, but these guys are our core.

4/6 guys you just named were our first pick in their respective drafts. The other two are RB's, which Shanahan has always had a rep of finding late in the draft. Hitting on our very highest picks every year, the ones we should hit on, is enough for you?

I'm not "just very upset at the record". Like any fan, I am very upset at the record. But that's not reason behind my issues with Shanahan the GM. If you search my posting history the last two months you'll find extensive conversations on this topic. This is not a knee-jerk reaction from today or even the past weeks. I've been pounding the drum for the "Shanahan can't draft" camp for awhile.

4/6 guys you just named were our first pick in their respective drafts. The other two are RB's, which Shanahan has always had a rep of finding late in the draft. Hitting on our very highest picks every year, the ones we should hit on, is enough for you?

I'm not "just very upset at the record". Like any fan, I am very upset at the record. But that's not reason behind my issues with Shanahan the GM. If you search my posting history the last two months you'll find extensive conversations on this topic. This is not a knee-jerk reaction from today or even the past weeks. I've been pounding the drum for the "Shanahan can't draft" camp for awhile.

Jordan Reed too. I believe Shanny hired the wrong DC, but I believe in Shanny. I think a lot of fans expected more improvement from last year 3-6 redskins even  though the Redskins had a cap penalty this year. I'm not suprised we regressed now that team have even more film on RG3. RG3 was our "it" factor last year, but the defense was always bad. I agree Shanny hasn't hit on everything, but that's with every team. Somtimes you hit or you miss, and no one knows until the player plays on the field.

I think your numbers are wrong. I believe he's schedule for 18 million, and if he's cut next year he gets 10 million.

Orakpo/Jackson will come down to two factors, in this order:

1) Coaching Staff

2) Money

Scheme will be a primary motivator on if we re-sign either, both or neither. Both are very good football players, and both are starter quality.

I can't really say much in regards to what I would do, as I don't know where we'll be coaching wise. We may VERY well be hitting the reset button on at least one side of the ball, perhaps two, maybe even all three.

Totally agree.

I think/hope we stay with a 3-4, but if it's Shaw I wouldn't be surprised to see a switch to the 4-3.

Who would you think we would pull in for NT if we stay 3-4 though?

Jordan Reed too. I believe Shanny hired the wrong DC, but I believe in Shanny. I think a lot of fans expected more improvement from last year 3-6 redskins even though the Redskins had a cap penalty this year. I'm not suprised we regressed now that team have even more film on RG3. RG3 was our "it" factor last year, but the defense was always bad. I agree Shanny hasn't hit on everything, but that's with every team. Somtimes you hit or you miss, and no one knows until the player plays on the field.

I think your numbers are wrong. I believe he's schedule for 18 million, and if he's cut next year he gets 10 million.

You're just repeating what I already allowed in the first post of mine that you responded to--his hits have been our highest draft picks, Morris, and Reed. Maybe Cousins. That's it.

That's not acceptable. Our OL is horrific, and Shanahan's entire philosophy is to acquire the athletic OL he needs in the mid-late rounds of the draft. Not a SINGLE one of our draft picks spent on the OL have panned out other than Trent. Not one. We're starting mediocre FA's across the board, with a C he inherited.

Our defense is horrific, and the only decent players he's drafted have been with our highest picks in their respective years--Kerrigan and Amerson. He's brought in nobody else of note on that entire side of the ball.

Our WR corps is awful. Hankerson is mediocre, and every other WR he's drafted, frankly has been terrible and hasn't developed.

Our ST's are horrible--Shanny has CONSISTENTLY traded back for multiple picks in the 5th, 6th, and 7th, in order to cheaply infuse our roster with depth. Not only have almost none of those picks panned out, they haven't even yielded enough depth players with ST's prowess to allow us to field a competitive, hell competent, unit!

Shanahan being in control of our drafts has been nothing but an unmitigated disaster, almost across the board, other than our highest pick every season (which even Vinny managed to almost always hit on). Because it's on him either way--either he's not drafting talent, or he's not developing the talent he drafted. It all falls at his feet--that's the beauty with a HC/GM being the same guy. You know exactly who to blame, and where to place the accountability.

Defensive needs? Assuming we re-sign (minimum) Hall, Riley and Orakpo or Jackson - NT, DE, S, ILB and corner.

In house candidates (including our FAs): DE - Baker, Carriker. NT - Baker, Jenkins. S - Thomas, Rambo, Meriweather, Jackson (I know, I know). Corner - Crawford, Wilson, Biggers, Minnifield. ILB - Barnett, Robinson, Compton.

Offensive needs? O-line and WR.

In house candidates - WR - Hankerson, Robinson. O-line - Gettis, Compton, LeRibeus, Hurt.

Out of those I think I am least confident at NT, WR, safety and tackle.

Great post.

Defense - I really like Will Compton and think he could make the 53 next year.  He showed very well in the pre-season when he had chances.  I wouldn't be comfortable with him starting.  I think Minnifield tops out as a good nickel or dime.  I don't know why Barnett hasn't had much more of an impact.  But we really need fat kids and we need them badly.

Offense - I think (depending on the scheme) Compton can play guard today.  I also think Gettis can play and so can Hurt (the interior) but I would hope that we can find a way to get someone in there with some moxy and experience.  I'm not sure who it'd be.  I like Hankerson but I really think we are seeing what he is right now and that's a decent possession WR.

I've almost lost all hope with Ribs.  He isn't even showing up in shape.

This cap number puts a lot of pressure on Danny to make a decision on Shanahan this year. By the looks of things, Shanahan can throw a lot of money around and get more people that fit his system. This is GOOD if we want to keep shanahan around. This is only going to pigeonhole our roster further if we allow him to spend this money. If we decide to switch regimes, this is a solid foundation financially for a new system to be installed. We don't have any Shanny guys under huge contracts yet. We have plenty of cap space to find new players. 

This team needs to focus building from the inside out.  OL, DL, ILB and Safety.  

1) Paul Solial NT

2) Alex Mack C

3) TJ Ward Safety

4) Michael Oher OT

5) Brent Grimes CB

I don't see much available in terms of ILB and DE in free agency.  I think ILB should be a focus of the draft.  Time for LeRibeus to play and see what he can do at OG.

Excellent thread, DC9!  Thanks for putting this together.

Thanks, man.  I only wish we could've waited until January.

At least this year we have some money though.

This cap number puts a lot of pressure on Danny to make a decision on Shanahan this year. By the looks of things, Shanahan can throw a lot of money around and get more people that fit his system. This is GOOD if we want to keep shanahan around. This is only going to pigeonhole our roster further if we allow him to spend this money. If we decide to switch regimes, this is a solid foundation financially for a new system to be installed. We don't have any Shanny guys under huge contracts yet. We have plenty of cap space to find new players. 

Yep.  Definitely don't want a ZBS coach and WCO spending money for a coach who runs a power or vertical game.

1) Paul Solial NT

2) Alex Mack C

3) TJ Ward Safety

4) Michael Oher OT

5) Brent Grimes CB

I don't see much available in terms of ILB and DE in free agency.  I think ILB should be a focus of the draft.  Time for LeRibeus to play and see if he's worth anything at OG.

I would let Orakpo go and re-sign Jackson. More cost effective, and brings a different skill set, while I think B Jenkins has a chance to develop as a pass rusher. 

Other re-signs: Hall, Riley, Baker, Doughty, Tapp, either Wilson or Biggers, maybe Grossman (if we deal Cousins), Kehl.

Rocca should be cut immediately after the season.

On the lines, I would drop Bowen, Carriker, Montgomery (might be able to get a mid-rounder for him) and one of the Gs. The cap savings (more in year 2 than year 1, so you structure contracts that way) to bring in a NT (my choice would probably be BJ Raji if available) and two new OL (Alex Mack if he's on the market, maybe Jared Veldheer at RT) while not cutting too much into our starting cap space.

So that would leave some money for a WR, ILB and S. At the moment, I'm thinking Eric Decker, Pat Angerer and I might go with something like Malcolm Jenkins and Ryan Mundy instead of Byrd.

Just some thoughts. Have to see how the market plays out, of course.

I would let Orakpo go and re-sign Jackson. More cost effective, and brings a different skill set, while I think B Jenkins has a chance to develop as a pass rusher. 

Other re-signs: Hall, Riley, Baker, Doughty, Tapp, either Wilson or Biggers, maybe Grossman (if we deal Cousins), Kehl.

Rocca should be cut immediately after the season.

On the lines, I would drop Bowen, Carriker, Montgomery (might be able to get a mid-rounder for him) and one of the Gs. The cap savings (more in year 2 than year 1, so you structure contracts that way) to bring in a NT (my choice would probably be BJ Raji if available) and two new OL (Alex Mack if he's on the market, maybe Jared Veldheer at RT) while not cutting too much into our starting cap space.

So that would leave some money for a WR, ILB and S. At the moment, I'm thinking Eric Decker, Brandon Spikes and I might go with something like Malcolm Jenkins and Ryan Mundy instead of Byrd.

Just some thoughts. Have to see how the market plays out, of course.

Spikes has played well for NE, but I think he's too slow what I would like to see the Skins do at ILB.  With the way the league is headed you need speed at LB.  Spikes is more of an old school LB.  

Spikes has played well for NE, but I think he's too slow what I would like to see the Skins do at ILB.  With the way the league is headed you need speed at LB.  Spikes is more of an old school LB.  

I'm actually not sure why I said Spikes. I don't really care for him, decent player but a character problem I would avoid. I was looking at FAs, and meant to say Pat Angerer. Edited now.

If this organization is truly committed to the 3-4, it should trade kerrigan now for a first rounder or a couple seconds. No use wasting his talent in pass coverage and another team will figure out how to take advantage of his substantial talent. Let Orakpo go ax well no reason to keep on this defense. Use the salary spot for position of need, like safety.

1) Paul Solial NT

2) Alex Mack C

3) TJ Ward Safety

4) Michael Oher OT

5) Brent Grimes CB

I don't see much available in terms of ILB and DE in free agency.  I think ILB should be a focus of the draft.  Time for LeRibeus to play and see what he can do at OG.

I would be very surprised if Alex Mack made it to freedom. 

As much as Oher has dropped his play I don't think that he would Baltimore lets him go.  It's something to keep an eye on.

I'm not a huge Brent Grimes fan either.  He is playing well this year, but I he is a little older than some of the other corners that'll be available.

Archived