Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG 3 taking too many hits

tiny33

Is it me, or is this team beginning to implode, first Garcon and now RG 3. Grant it, he is getting pummeled, and this article nails many of the ongoing issues with this team. There is certainly enough blame to go around, but after nine games, do you think the coaches could make adjustments. There is very little element of surprise with this team. For example, eight games with Josh Morgan on punt returns, how about trying the speedy Aldrick Robinson. How about some press coverage on receivers. I would give the Shanahan's one more year because of the salary cap, and start looking for a new defense coordinator like stealing Bud Foster from Virginia Tech (Wishful Thinking)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/14/rg3-bottom-line-i-cant-take-those-amount-of-hits/

Welcome aboard the crazy train. Actually the Redskins brought up Nick Williams from the practice squad this week. A lot of us are hoping he gets the nod at kick and punt returns.

As far as the defense is concerned. Well Momma always said if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. So for this hour or so I will obey my mother.......................................................Is my hour up? Press coverage is rarely used by this staff. It is like they want the QB to have a 100% completion ratio by giving up the 4 to 6 yard gain. In doing so not allowing any of the front 7 to apply any pressure on the QB. It's really self defeating on many fronts.

Hail

While I agree that RGIII is taking far more hits than he should this season, throwing his OL under the bus isn't going to supply them with much motivation. Sorry Bob, sometimes it's best just to keep your mouth shut and keep playing. :(

Actually RG3 stated that it was everyone involved including himself. I will find the link in a minute and add it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/14/rg3-bottom-line-i-cant-take-those-amount-of-hits/

Hail

He kept the ball a lot more times on the read option, including 3 in a row in the third quarter, on this game than he has in the past this year.

Morris and Helu both goobed up blitz pickups, which lead to hits.

Monty and Chester got owned by Williams. Which lead to hits.

And there were a couple times when Robert just needed to throw the ball away.

It's everybody. But he's right. He can't keep taking that number of hits.

So sick of hearing about it... Anyone watch the Colts? They have the worst OL in the league and Luck gets pummeled weekly both inside and outside of the pocket. It's football.

And Mike Cary threw a flag for hitting the QB (Luck) after he was no longer in the play on a handoff. Something that RGIII hasn't gotten all year. Opposing defenses are allowed to tee off on him without fear of drawing a flag on every running play. Hell on every play.

And Mike Cary threw a flag for hitting the QB (Luck) after he was no longer in the play on a handoff. Something that RGIII hasn't gotten all year. Opposing defenses are allowed to tee off on him without fear of drawing a flag on every running play. Hell on every play.

I haven't seen defenders tee off on RG on straight hand offs or stretch runs. It's almost always on an option play, where I believe it is legal to hit the QB.

Throw the ball quicker. Pretty easy to figure out.

Whether its the receivers not getting open or him waiting for the big play to develop, he's holding the ball way too long. Part could be on Kyle, maybe having a semi-permenent dump-off receiver to throw to, even the RBs, but if he continues to hold the ball, with a line that some say is horrible [personally I don't think they're that bad] then he will be hit, and they will test his toughness.

Until we build a line to protect our most valuable asset, and work with him and not against him; he's going to be spending a LOT of time in the ice bath Sunday nights/ Mondays.

Hail.

Kevin Kolb

Thad Lewis

EJ Manuel

Brian Hoyer

Brandon Weeden

Blaine Gabbert

Matt Schaub

Jake Locker

Terrelle Pryor

Michael Vick

Nick Foles

Jay Cutler

Aaron Rodgers

Christian Ponder

Josh Freeman

Sam Bradford

All QBs that have suffered injuries this year that have caused them to miss time. Some are mobile, some are not. Some were injured inside the pocket, others outside. Almost every single one of them was a "contact" injury.

Of course the fewer hits a player takes, the better his odds of staying healthy become, but I think it is a real misconception that RG3 is under more fire than your average NFL QB. If you eliminate the hits that RG causes himself (holding ball too long, extending play, etc) he probably gets hit about a normal amount of the time. Like I've pointed out many times, Luck and Wilson as just two examples are QBs that are under much more pressure weekly than RG.

I'm not buying it ... this is BAD ... he did not have to say these things.  There are plenty of things he could have said, or he could have simply talked about something else.   I get a steady stream of Skins fan RGIII hate from my wife what with the massive self promotion, insisting on playing when he's barely able to walk, self-produced video forcing the coaching staff into starting him without any game situation warm-ups in preseason, etc.  Its getting hard for me to keep finding a positive spin for Griffin.  This was a perfect case for the team leader to use "we" or to keep his mouth shut about it.  You want to be the leader ... the mass media darling? ... take the blame ... take it when its yours .. .and take it when its theirs ... then go out and do a better job.

Here's a few thoughts Robert ... check all the routes not just the receiver everyone in the stadium knows you're going to throw to ... check them quicker ... trust your receivers (or force them) to their job ... get it out of your hands faster and into their hands faster.  Or this ... study Peyton and Brady ... 1 - 2 - 3 pass.  Brady's been doing it with 2nd and 3rd rate receivers for years ... and Peyton is doing it this year with the second team.  It can be done.  "Great quarterbacks" get it done.

Oh .. yeah ... learn to SLIDE!

Until we build a line to protect our most valuable asset, and work with him and not against him; he's going to be spending a LOT of time in the ice bath Sunday nights/ Mondays. 

Hail. 

I agree and lets hope he makes it out of this season in one peice becasue he is one hit away from being back on the "all in for week 1" train again.

Here's a few thoughts Robert ... check all the routes not just the receiver everyone in the stadium knows you're going to throw to ... check them quicker ... trust your receivers (or force them) to their job ... get it out of your hands faster and into their hands faster.  Or this ... study Peyton and Brady ... 1 - 2 - 3 pass.  Brady's been doing it with 2nd and 3rd rate receivers for years ... and Peyton is doing it this year with the second team.  It can be done.  "Great quarterbacks" get it done.

Oh .. yeah ... learn to SLIDE!

Don't expect any quarterback to become great by year 2.

On most plays, Rg3 doesn't have enough time to check down anywhere. He's on the ground most of the game. Him not sliding is the least of my concerns as he's getting buried in the pocket. This does contribute to his inaccurate passes.

Can't help but praise RG3 on how he has handled this disaster. He does react quick enough to get the ball out his hands in time, avoiding potential sacks. I believe many qbs in his situation would be leading the league in sacks giving up.

I don't expect it in 2 years ... I do beleive he has it in him ... he may or may not have time to check down but he doesn't do it most of the time and the Defenses have noticed ... and while I like that he tries to get something out of nothing and extend plays ... he needs to reduce the times this ends in a sack

I guess that I am of the minority then to have taken RG3's remark to mean that if he wants to be one of the great QB's, he can't continue taking all of the hits. I don't think he's above everyone else in his eye's all of a sudden.

I don't expect it in 2 years ... I do beleive he has it in him ... he may or may not have time to check down but he doesn't do it most of the time and the Defenses have noticed ... and while I like that he tries to get something out of nothing and extend plays ... he needs to reduce the times this ends in a sack

I agree.

Griffin does take too many hits, but the problem isn't the o-line. Or rather, the o-line is just a part of the problem.

Sometimes Griffin holds the ball too long - slow reads, waiting for someone to get open, trusting his o-line too much, etc.),

sometimes the plays take too long to develop (RO + 3 step drop),

sometimes no one is open,

sometimes the defense sends more than can be blocked,

sometimes the backs miss the blitz pickups,

sometimes Griffin keeps the ball on RO plays,

and sometimes one or more linemen are overmatched.

Griffin can help himself, but a lot of that will come with time. Overall, it's a team problem.

Archived