Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Offensive & Defensive Development During The Shanahan Era

Note:  This is ONLY for the first 9 games of each season.  If people want, I'll update this week by week.

OFFENSE

Points Per Game - 20.3

Yards Per Game - 331

Ave. # of Plays Per Turnover - 38.7

Sacks Allowed Per Pass Play - 13.6

Total 1st Downs - 138 (4 year worst)

O. Touchdowns - 17

3rd/4th Down Conversion - 22.2% (4 year worst)

Points Per Game - 15.1 (4 year worst)

Yards Per Game - 310.1 (4 year worst)

Ave. # of Plays Per Turnover - 26.6 (4 year worst)

Sacks Allowed Per Pass Play - 12.75 (4 year worst)

Total 1st Downs - 155

O. Touchdowns - 12 (4 year worst)

3rd/4th Down Conversion - 37.1%

Points Per Game - 25.1

Yards Per Game - 381.7

Ave. # of Plays Per Turnover - 63.9 (4 year best!)

Sacks Allowed Per Pass Play - 14

Total 1st Downs - 183

O. Touchdowns - 22

3rd/4th Down Conversion - 36.5%

Points Per Game - 25.6 (4 year best!)

Yards Per Game - 410.4 (4 year best!)

Ave. # of Plays Per Turnover - 39.6

Sacks Allowed Per Pass Play - 20.2 (4 year best!)

Total 1st Downs - 207 (4 year best!)

O. Touchdowns - 24 (4 year best!)

3rd/4th Down Conversion - 45.5% (4 year best!)

Seems to me like the offense has seen some improvements every year, and despite RG3 missing or limited for the entire offseason...we're having our best offensive year in the Shanahan era.

If your wondering how our 3rd/4th down conversions look compared to the rest of the league, we're 4th.  Denver, Carolina, and San Diego are ahead of us.  And none of those are surprising.  The two teams right below us are New Orleans and Green Bay.  Our offense is in good company on 3rd/4th downs.

2013 is phenomenal when compared to our Franchise History.  Through 9 games, we currently have the most offensive yards ever.  We also have scored the 5th most points through week 9.

DEFENSE

Points Per Game - 25.4

Yards Per Game - 415.3 (4 year worst)

Ave. # of Plays Per Takeaway - 33.1 (4 year best!)

Sack Rate Per Pass Play - 20.8

Total 1st Downs - 195

Touchdowns Allowed - 24

3rd/4th Down Conversion - 38%

Points Per Game - 19.8 (4 year best!)

Yards Per Game - 337.1 (4 year best!)

Ave. # of Plays Per Takeaway - 42.6 (4 year worst)

Sack Rate Per Pass Play - 11.2 (4 year best!)

Total 1st Downs - 147 (4 year best!)

Touchdowns Allowed - 16 (4 year best!)

3rd/4th Down Conversion - 35.5% (4 year best!)

Points Per Game - 27.6

Yards Per Game - 397.9

Ave. # of Plays Per Takeaway - 36

Sack Rate Per Pass Play - 26.3 (4 year worst)

Total 1st Downs - 189

Touchdowns Allowed - 27

3rd/4th Down Conversion - 44.9% (4 year worst)

Points Per Game - 31.9 (4 year worst)

Yards Per Game - 388.6

Ave. # of Plays Per Takeaway - 35.9

Sack Rate Per Pass Play - 15.4

Total 1st Downs - 198 (4 year worst)

Touchdowns Allowed - 31 (4 year worst)

3rd/4th Down Conversion - 41.2%

Compared to the offense, the difference is stark.  I was hoping with Orakpo coming back, we would return to 2011 form, but it seems we're also missing Carriker's presence on the line.

I'm not seeing much of a positive change or improvement here, besides what appears to be a fluke year in 2011.

I think the offensive stats are skewed some. While statistically they look good to the eye the look like its 2 steps forward one game then 3 steps back the next. I also contribute the need to throw the ball more often thanks to the Offense having to play catch up so many times the first half of the season.

I think the offensive stats are skewed some. While statistically they look good to the eye the look like its 2 steps forward one game then 3 steps back the next. I also contribute the need to throw the ball more often thanks to the Offense having to play catch up so many times the first half of the season.

You know that's shocking...most 2nd year quarterbacks are just lighting it up every possession... :rolleyes:

Note:  This is ONLY for the first 9 games of each season.  If people want, I'll update this week by week.

OFFENSE

Points Per Game - 25.6 (4 year best!)

Yards Per Game - 410.4 (4 year best!)

Ave. # of Plays Per Turnover - 39.6

Sacks Allowed Per Pass Play - 20.2 (4 year best!)

Total 1st Downs - 207 (4 year best!)

O. Touchdowns - 24 (4 year best!)

3rd/4th Down Conversion - 45.5% (4 year best!)

DEFENSE

Points Per Game - 27.6

Yards Per Game - 397.9

Ave. # of Plays Per Takeaway - 36

Sack Rate Per Pass Play - 26.3 (4 year worst)

Total 1st Downs - 189

Touchdowns Allowed - 27

3rd/4th Down Conversion - 44.9% (4 year worst)

Points Per Game - 31.9 (4 year worst)

Yards Per Game - 388.6

Ave. # of Plays Per Takeaway - 35.9

Sack Rate Per Pass Play - 15.4

Total 1st Downs - 198 (4 year worst)

Touchdowns Allowed - 31 (4 year worst)

3rd/4th Down Conversion - 41.2%

Compared to the offense, the difference is stark.  I was hoping with Orakpo coming back, we would return to 2011 form, but it seems we're also missing Carriker's presence on the line.

I'm not seeing much of a positive change or improvement here, besides what appears to be a fluke year in 2011.

Clearly Mike and Kyle are the problem...Hasshat (I stole that from someone...great nickname whoever came up with it!) is just a product of Shanahan. All their fault.

Wow I am in a sarcastic mood this afternoon...

That has been the same for the first 9 games for every year Shanahan has been here.  That being said, we need to continue with him.  If not for the continue development of RG3 and because the offense is top 5.  The defense needs a change in coaching personnel though.

Offense 

Dropped passes, poor pass protection, turnovers (fumbles/Interceptions) You never know which Redskins offense is showing up, week in/out.

Defense

Gives up points and yards but generates lots of turnovers. You never know which week their going to bend and not break or bend and break. 

I guarantee you the trend continues until the seasons out. 

Well that's the idea, you need to score more point and you score more. That shows the capacity to do so when needed. If the D were able to make a stop or two they'd be blowing teams out.

Even though the offensive #s look good,  I am curious as to what the numbers look like while the team was actually 'competitive' in 2013, without the junk yardage from being blown out in the games.

Calculate the numbers vs the Eagles, GB, and any other opponents that went on scoring and yardage frenzies; this would show a more clearer image.

the biggest problem we had before Griffin was at the QB position. Actually the defense played a lot better, but it was GHH's lovechild Rex Grossman who had a bad habit of giving the ball right back to opposing offenses. It was him that caused my gray hairs to prematurely develop, that is, after it grew back from me pulling it out when Campbell was throwing into the 5th row of the stands.

Even though the offensive #s look good,  I am curious as to what the numbers look like while the team was actually 'competitive' in 2013, without the junk yardage from being blown out in the games.

Calculate the numbers vs the Eagles, GB, and any other opponents that went on scoring and yardage frenzies; this would show a more clearer image.

the biggest problem we had before Griffin was at the QB position. Actually the defense played a lot better, but it was GHH's lovechild Rex Grossman who had a bad habit of giving the ball right back to opposing offenses. It was him that caused my gray hairs to prematurely develop, that is, after it grew back from me pulling it out when Campbell was throwing into the 5th row of the stands.

FWIW, Football Outsiders ranks us 16th in offensive efficiency. That is the weighted measure, which gives more importance to recent games. On the season overall, they have us 22nd.

FWIW, Football Outsiders ranks us 16th in offensive efficiency. That is the weighted measure, which gives more importance to recent games. On the season overall, they have us 22nd.

That sounds about right for us. I mean, half the season the offense has been a no show (Philly, GB, Denver, Dallas, and 2nd half of Minny). Sure they put up lots of yards against Dallas, but no points.

These are numbers that we all pretty much expected. I don't see many calling for Kyle's head (or Mike's). I'm really wanting Haslett gone. But I doubt Shanny will fire him so I'll get rid of Mike too. It'd be nice if our next coach (Gary Kubiak?) kept Kyle as offensive coordinator. Only problem with Kyle is that he gets too pass happy and outthinks himself.

That sounds about right for us. I mean, half the season the offense has been a no show (Philly, GB, Denver, Dallas, and 2nd half of Minny). Sure they put up lots of yards against Dallas, but no points.

Dallas, Minny and Detroit were pretty much the same game. Our interior line folded like a cheap hooker, that's what cost us the offensive struggles. The only exception in Minny was we did not turn the ball over.

Archived