Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cbs Baltimore: Annapolis Council To Consider Stripping Republican Mayor-Elect’S Power

btfoom

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/11/10/annapolis-council-to-consider-stripping-republican-mayor-elects-power/

Annapolis Council To Consider Stripping Republican Mayor-Elect’s Power

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Days after a Republican was elected mayor of Annapolis, City Council members say they will revisit legislation that would strip the mayor’s office of much of its powericon1.png.

Democratic Alderman Ross Arnett of Ward 8 tells The Capital he will introduce a charter amendment to move Annapolis to a council-manager style of government. The cityicon1.png manager would report directly to the City Council, not the mayor. <rest at link>

This is amazingly ridiculous.  I have no idea how one section of local government can even have the ability to push aside another section.  Talk about 'sore losers' - yes, Mr Arnett, your guy didn't win the election.  Too bad - everyone has had elections go against them. Doesn't mean you strip the winner of his powers.

Just another example of the overall horrible state of politics in Maryland.

Stuff like this serves as a reminder why I'm a registered Independent. Talk about sour grapes. 

My mindset is that of an independent. But in MD, you can't really vote in primaries unless you're registered R or D. So I had to pick one to have a vote in primaries.

This is amazingly ridiculous.  I have no idea how one section of local government can even have the ability to push aside another section.  

Sure they can.  City charters are changed all the time, and many cities have city manager-style governance.   Often it works better, because the city manager is just concerned with running the city effectively rather than catering to political groups. 

But I'm not defending this particular proposal, because if it passes, the timing makes it pretty political.  But first I want to see if it actually passes.

If the same alderman proposes this change every legislative session and it fails to pass once again, this is a tempest in a teapot.  

Annapolis is one of the most corrupt cities, politically. its about 2/3 Dem which should give everyone a clue about how sick the people are of the collution of the Dem party in the city. The fact that Cohen lost the election is shocking. Fundamentally, I don't dislike Dems but the ones in this city disgust me.

The City Manager legislation is old. It's been around for about 6 yrs but never really got traction, mainly bc the Dems were in power and didn't want to lose power.

I'm glad I sold my house in Annapolis and moved. I still have to deal with their stifling bureaucratic system with my fraternity and bc our building is historic, I get the added pleasure of dealing with he Historic Society.

Sure they can.  City charters are changed all the time, and many cities have city manager-style governance.   Often it works better, because the city manager is just concerned with running the city effectively rather than catering to political groups. 

But I'm not defending this particular proposal, because if it passes, the timing makes it pretty political.  But first I want to see if it actually passes.

If the same alderman proposes this change every legislative session and it fails to pass once again, this is a tempest in a teapot.  

I know you most likely don't know the local politics.

The Maryland State Legislsture is very skewed to the Democratic side due to several changes in the Charter by a mostly Democratic Legislature.

In this case, Rep Arnett has been trying to get the Mayor's role reduced to basically a ceremonial role vs the City Counci because the City Council members are chosen by strictly set lines while the mayor is for the overall city.  He knows that a Republican can (and did) win, but there is a very slim chance of Republicans winning in the difrerent sub-districts as layed out currently.

are party politics that prevalent in city govt there?

down here they don't really get going till the county level

we switched to city manager a decade or so ago,but I'm not convinced it changes much

Archived