Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Linebackers (Especially London Fletcher)

Every BroHas His Zorn

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that our LB core has been atrocious this year. Kerrigan has his sacks, Orakpo has made a few plays, but as an entire unit, they have not been good. London Fletcher should be a HOFer some day, but he really hasn't helped the team at all this year. Perry Riley has had Personal Foul penalties that have crushed us. 

Is it Haslett or is it personnel? As far as Fletcher goes, I think he's done. But when it comes to 'Rak and Riley, I hope to Gibbs that it is just bad coaching. 

Riley is not and never really has been an NFL caliber starter. Robinson, who knows. Fletcher, it's pathetic how we trot him out every game to suck instead of trying something, ANYTHING different. Rob at MLB. Kehl at MLB.

We have an overly conservative, tunnelvisioned coaching staff and it comes back to bite us.

Also just remember, that McNabb draft pick we traded could have been Sean Lee or Navarro Bowman.

I think the linebackers coach Bob Slowik is one underlying source of this problem. Slowik keeps getting moved around to different defensive coaching responsibilities but whatever group he winds up coaching turns out to be the next big weakness. I'd note that Slowik, a longtime crony of Mike Shahanan was often mentioned by Denver fans as being a 'problem' for Broncos defenses.

The personnel isn't that great either. I felt going into the season that our ILBs were going to be a weakness, and the lack of depth is starting to show. The aging Fletcher is probably playing out his last season as a starter. Riley is too easily exposed on pass coverage duties, and the starting OLBs are at best 'fair' in pass coverage.

Not much is being schemed to close up that consistent gap the ILBs are leaving and the opponents' TEs are exploiting.

Teams have learned to neutralize Orakpo and Kerrigan by throwing quick passes (and holding).  They are improving in coverage and haven't proven themselves to be a consistent liability.

I think Riley is very active and is good enough.

Fletcher seems like a body.  He's rarely around the ball and instant loss in coverage.  We need to find out what Barnett can do.

The Redskins need more speed at ILB.  Riley does some things well, but coverage isn't one of them.  Fletcher should of retired.  He can still give you some moments, but he's done.

Part of the problem with the OLBs and the pass rush is the DL.  This group rarely gets penetration giving QBs the ability to step up into the pocket while Kerrigan and Orakpo get blocked wide.  Cofield's miscast at NT.  Bowen can hold the POA, but no push upfield.  The rest are just guys.  I've been waiting for Jenkins to do something, but it hasn't happened.

All the talk is rebuilding the secondary, which that group needs help too, but they really need to rebuild the DL.  

Riley is not and never really has been an NFL caliber starter. Robinson, who knows. Fletcher, it's pathetic how we trot him out every game to suck instead of trying something, ANYTHING different. Rob at MLB. Kehl at MLB.

We have an overly conservative, tunnelvisioned coaching staff and it comes back to bite us.

Also just remember, that McNabb draft pick we traded could have been Sean Lee or Navarro Bowman.

psssst....Kehl is on IR

Part of the problem with the OLBs and the pass rush is the DL.  This group rarely gets penetration giving QBs the ability to step up into the pocket while Kerrigan and Orakpo get blocked wide.  Cofield's miscast at NT.  Bowen can hold the POA, but no push upfield.  The rest are just guys.  I've been waiting for Jenkins to do something, but it hasn't happened.

All the talk is rebuilding the secondary, which that group needs help too, but they really need to rebuild the DL.  

I'm quoting this for emphasis. I don't think many here realize how important not only an ILB (purpose of this thread) is but also a true NT. Our DL doesn't get any push upfield and as a result, QBs always have a clean pocket to pass from. We can **** and complain all we want about missed holding penalties, but you can't hold and avoid the type of pressure the Vikings were getting up the middle on us. We need that kind of DL.

Minnesota's starting 3 LBs were much more active than our guys were.  How do Fletcher and Riley account for 5 tackles combined?  

Because we need to re-load at ILB. We've been saying this for the last 2-3 offseasons.

Unfortunately Keenan Robinson (a stretch to start) has not been able to stay on the field to demonstrate what he can/cannot do. Riley may have shown us what he has which is good, but not great. London looks like he's finally fallen off the cliff.

Minnesota's starting 3 LBs were much more active than our guys were.  How do Fletcher and Riley account for 5 tackles combined?  

That was because Cofield  was pushed all over the field yesterday even in man to man leaving the guards shots at our inside linebackers.  That is why safties had all the tackles plus we played a gap control defense against petterson.

I like Cofield but he just does not make enough plays.  Everyone gets caught out of position but they make up for it with bigger plays or the coach know hot scheme.  Just like the Vikings did making the Redskins Block him one on one by blitzing up the middle and teams are figuring that out against the pistol offense. Specially on passing downs..  The batted balls last week and the sacks up the middle this week...

Our defense does nothing in the scheming area and specially makes no adjustments in the second half.    How many times did we get caught when they had 5 receivers on the field and had linebackers covering two of them man on man...  Should Fletcher had check out of it to a zone?  who knows but that happen on at least 3 third down conversions....

My opinion on passing downs you bring in Rob Jackson, and the Rookie on the other side with Kerrigan.   that is four rushers on the ends that you can blitz but line them all four on the line and drop back any group of them and play games with it with stunts.  and Have only Cofield, Baker or Jenkins on the D line.   Kerrigan and RAC or both ends any way.   that way you increase our speed on the field specially with Philly coming up...   

We played so well ast week in a press coverage and hardly even played it last night...   Why?

So many question on Defense it is TIME FOR HASLETT TO GO!

I'm quoting this for emphasis. I don't think many here realize how important not only an ILB (purpose of this thread) is but also a true NT. Our DL doesn't get any push upfield and as a result, QBs always have a clean pocket to pass from. We can **** and complain all we want about missed holding penalties, but you can't hold and avoid the type of pressure the Vikings were getting up the middle on us. We need that kind of DL.

You are so Correct just look at Williams up the middle for Vikings,  Once they realized they could line him up over center and bltiz the middle it was over.  We made no adjustments to this and that is were they got their sacks and how the won the game on the goal line stand at the end.  We had to get rid of the ball as we have the most elusive and fastest QB but we let him stand in the Pistol a short drop back and have to get rid of the ball quickly..   Not one roll out of have him drop back two steps after getting the ball.  The last two passes to Garcon and Moss were very quick throws and on both them we had Reid running a skinny post and Vikings had everyone with 2 yards of the Goal line all we had to do was throw it high over the middle and easy TD.  Watch the replay and focus on Reid...

Something RGIII needs to learn from.   when they line up like that on the goal line.  Reid blew right by the defenders...

Is London out of shape this year?  He sure seems like it.

The answer is obvious. He's aging before your eyes.

It happens.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2013/nov/4/injury-updates-london-fletcher-considered-limited-/

Fletcher, 38, is making his first appearance on the injury report this season. With the season now passing its halfway point, it’s conceivable the Redskins could begin to hold Fletcher out of practice as a precautionary measure as they did the last two years.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2013/nov/4/injury-updates-london-fletcher-considered-limited-/#ixzz2k3yfdFYi 

Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

That said, I don't remember one time this year that London or Perry having made a great play and getting their name called out. 

I'm pretty demoralized about our linebackers. I figured that unit would be a strength of this team. I expected Fletcher to drop off (though maybe not this much) but assumed that our other three starters would pick him up.

Most alarming is Riley...in my head, he was penciled in as our next Fletcher. I was very impressed with him last year. I can only hope that Fletcher is the key weakness and it's reflecting poorly on Riley. Otherwise, we have yet another need.

I don't think Perry is not a starting caliber ILB. I definitely think he is. However, I think he's a clear "robin" and needs a "batman" of sorts there in the middle. And I love London, but he's not exactly been the caped crusader this year for the defense. Father Time seems to have finally fully caught up with him. He still has a bit of value as a field coach because it's not like we have a significant upgrade there to replace him imho....but it's a major spot of concern for next year.

In our 3-4 Pittsburgh based defense...the defensive line is suppose to command double teams allowing the linebackers to roam free and aggressive to plays. 

Our two defensive ends are struggling this year (Golston, Bowen)...Jenkins is a slight upgraded over Golston.

Stephen Bowen has been the biggest bust that no one seems to talk about.  He is not creating enough push and does not get ANY pressure on pass downs.

When Fletcher in the played well in the past, he was a band-aid for the lineman deficiencies, however when teams learned that they are better chipping the lineman and going after him on run plays they have won the battles more times than not.

Perry Riley is fine at ILB.  He would start on more than half the teams in the NFL.   Riley and Fletcher are both old school down hill linebackers.  Problem is this is a passing league, therefore your better off with lighter faster linebackers and heavier defensive lineman.  You shouldn't have TWO guys that are molded the same.  You better off taken both out on passing downs and putting in db's.

As far as our OLBs are concerned, I am not seeing any variations in blitzing from these guys.  Rak and Kerrigan pass rush the same path each time.  Where are the stunts?  Where is occasionally switching these guys on different sides like we seen in the past?  Both seem to give up when they know they can't get there..sorta like a contain?   Its almost like Haslett has dumbed down our blitzing schemes for whatever reason (maybe because we were on pace for giving up the most yards?). 

CB's work best when they press guys at the line!  Point blank.  Whenever we back off or play heavy zone with one on one safety battles we lose.

Here is what has worked:

Blitzing the safety on passing situations and having one safety deep.

Press coverage by dhall and the rest of the corners.

The love for Riley as the future replacement for Fletcher continues to astound me.

If you think the interior is bad now, wait until Riley is calling the plays and the ineffect rookie Robinson is learning alongside him.

I like Riley. He's solid depth. Maybe even a reliable starter with a stud alongside him. But Fletch is no longer that stud and it shows in Perry's play.

Hail.

Riley is not and never really has been an nfl caliber starter? I STRONGLY disagree, he's a solid ILB wouldn't want him calling the plays like fletch has in his career but Riley is a heck of a player and we got him in the 4th round, that's a steal. 

Archived