Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's Getting Harder To Watch London Fletcher

Boss_Hogg

It's no secret that London Fletcher has been struggling this year. I didn't hear his name called once in the Vikings game, it's almost like the Skins were playing with 10 men on defense. He's a complete non-factor; a liability if you will.

Fletch, I love you man. You've had a HOF career and outlasted the murderer from Baltimore. You have a Super Bowl ring, 4x pro bowls, and 2x All Pro awards. Your career has been an inspiration to millions.

But you're really struggling and it's hard to watch a respected legend like yourself struggle.

I said this a few weeks ago.  My most vivid memories of Fletcher this season are getting dragged an extra yard or two by running backs, or being burned on short out routes by Jason Witten.  By Jason freaking Witten. If you asked me to give you an adjective/short phrase to describe Jason Witten, I might use "dependable" or "I hate that he's a Cowboy but respect his career" or "solid router runner."  It would be awhile before I got to "fast" or "quick" or "burns linebackers consistently at this age."  But he made Fletcher look bad too, and it hurt to watch.

Larry Michael said London Fletcher was a "fine football player still playing well" in the pregame show yesterday.  Yet he seems slow and out of shape.  What gives?

Larry has an astute eye for these things and is around the team a lot.  I'd trust his judgement over a message board's.  

Larry has an astute eye for these things and is around the team a lot.  I'd trust his judgement over a message board's.  

I can't tell if this is sarcasm. Larry is a propaganda machine for the Redskins (nothing wrong with this--he should be). 

I love Fletch. He's a beast and his leadership is valuable. Unfortunately, he seems very off this season. It would be hard to imagine having him come back after the cap-space opens back up. Firstly, he would have to want to come back. I don't know if he wants that. He seems ready to hang up the cleats. Second, if he came back to play, we would have to limit his play time for situational purposes. 

I would LOVE to see Fletcher as our Linebackers coach.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm. Larry is a propaganda machine for the Redskins (nothing wrong with this--he should be). 

I love Fletch. He's a beast and his leadership is valuable. Unfortunately, he seems very off this season. It would be hard to imagine having him come back after the cap-space opens back up. Firstly, he would have to want to come back. I don't know if he wants that. He seems ready to hang up the cleats. Second, if he came back to play, we would have to limit his play time for situational purposes. 

I would LOVE to see Fletcher as our Linebackers coach.

I like that idea of being a coach. He has lost a step for sure. His football mind is still there ,but his football body is not. He is not the only problem on defense ,but he is the so called leader and the troops are not following.

Fletcher is the perfect example of why you don't bring players back based on what they've done, but what they'll do. A smart organization would have let Fletcher walk last year, or even the year before.

We need an ILB to replace him, though I'd prefer to go back to the 4-3 and bring in an OLB(4-3 OLBs are a dime a dozen)and have Riley at MLB and Jackson at the other OLB.

Fletcher is the perfect example of why you don't bring players back based on what they've done, but what they'll do. A smart organization would have let Fletcher walk last year, or even the year before.

We need an ILB to replace him, though I'd prefer to go back to the 4-3 and bring in an OLB(4-3 OLBs are a dime a dozen)and have Riley at MLB and Jackson at the other OLB.

True, but I had no idea Fletcher would lose that much ability. He played very good the last half of the 2012 season. As far as a 4-3, I think it is feasible to do a rapid switch, Rak at DE, Kerrigan at DE/MLB/OLB. Coefield DT  Jarvis Jenkins at DT. Just try anything to improve the defense. That's how bad our DC is. That I'm willing to see any kind of change.

Hail

Oh don't start this almost EVERYBODY was in support of bringing fletch back, the staff isn't to blame for bringing fletch back because almost every single one of us supported the move to bring fletch back even though the move seems like a wrong one in hindsight. 

The organization was smart they made a move that majority of the fan base supported however it didn't turn out like we wanted that isn't their fault now. If they would have let fletch go and he would have played well we would be banging our heads saying this is why you keep leaders who have produced for you.

we took a risk and we lost it's nobodies fault now I do blame haslett for having our D look putrid since he has been hired. lol

Oh don't start this almost EVERYBODY was in support of bringing fletch back, the staff isn't to blame for bringing fletch back because almost every single one of us supported the move to bring fletch back even though the move seems like a wrong one in hindsight. 

It's no secret Fletch is a cornerstone to this team on and off the field. No way would anyone kick him to the curb after all he's done for the team and how he has persevered through tough seasons. BUT going forward, I believe it is evident that time is up, if not up, very close to it. I thought maybe next year would be his final, but I'm not sure he has much to play for right now to return.

It's no secret Fletch is a cornerstone to this team on and off the field. No way would anyone kick him to the curb after all he's done for the team and how he has persevered through tough seasons. BUT going forward, I believe it is evident that time is up, if not up, very close to it. I thought maybe next year would be his final, but I'm not sure he has much to play for right now to return.

I agree it's over for him he has nothing left in the tank but I don't think the coaching staff can be blamed for this one because we would be a fool to let fletch go we had to resign him unfortunately it didn't work out.

It would be like the ravens letting ray lewis go, everyone knew lewis was a shell of himself but they had to resign him fortunately for them it ended in a Superbowl unfortunately for us we're 3-6. :( lol 

I think we all saw London slowly decline last year. The most telling was his "balance issues" after the VaGiants win.

But like another poster said I don't think ANYONE on this board expected him to disappear all together. This is a huge drop off from a serviceable linebacker to a liability.

Nick Barbett needs more reps

Fletch has been one of the few bright spots the past  years. This year it really hits home that we have no ilb's. We have to start Fletch who is obviously on his last legs

He finished with a flourish last year ,I like to see him do the dame thing this year and announce it is his last game so we can honor him hear.I think our LB's are a bigger liability than our secondary

On offense we need a tackle and center. On D we need 3 lb's 2 safeties and 2 linemen. Time to go back to the 4-3 this 3-4 has not worked. We never had defences this bad when we ran the 4-3

Anything our training staff can do in order to increase his conditioning work to counteract the downward slope?  Maybe he needs to work out more than others in their prime to keep pace.

I highly doubt that there is anything they can do legally to make him significantly improve his performance.

Kind of like: "The older I get the better I was".

HTTR 

Archived