Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Martin And Incognito Discussion

Major Harris

Who cares, as much as the media has spent on this, I almost wish they would have a cage match and let them beat each other silly.

I'm tired of hearing about it on ESPN.

That's the point though.  You think it's a coincidence that the Dolphins are playing on MNF right now?  The league and the media is pumping up mostly non-issues for viewership ahead of primetime games that otherwise wouldn't have much viewership.

That's the point though.  You think it's a coincidence that the Dolphins are playing on MNF right now?  The league and the media is pumping up mostly non-issues for viewership ahead of primetime games that otherwise wouldn't have much viewership.

So, they knew this was coming when they made the schedule in March?

That IS creepy.

So did anyone listen to DeMaurice Smith's compacted face and what it said during the pregame?

time to crack down on words and harsh language he thinks people consider hurtful.. so pump up music better be scrubbed of all words he deems offensive... players better learn how to talk, because I'd sincerely hope that if he perceives a problem with the N word, he better recognize where he's likely to find the biggest resistance to stop using it.

(Hint: it's not among the white players.)

Has he ever heard them during the actual play of the game?

You don't need to be Nostradamus to predict that this is going to be one massive farce of ridiculous proportion.

Next stop, Planet Cluster****.

~Bang

So, they knew this was coming when they made the schedule in March?

That IS creepy.

Naaaa, but they know when an 0-8 team is playing a 4-4 team a week before the game on what's usually the weekly marquee game.  This whole episode has been blown up intentionally into a news story for filler purposes on the 24/7 sports show news cycle and to pump up viewership for a night game that would otherwise have spotty viewership.  The NFL is a business.  Manufacturing controversy (or at least publicizing something that most people would think is fairly standard practice amongst 300 pound young guys full of testosterone) keeps attention focused on things that otherwise wouldn't be paid attention to.  Of course the media script the last couple days has been "How will the Dolphins respond in this game amongst all the controversy and will the Bucs take advantage of the distraction to win their first game?"  Nevermind that it's been the media and the league office *making* it a distraction.  But that offers some compelling storyline to get people to tune in when they otherwise might not have.

Naaaa, but they know when an 0-8 team is playing a 4-4 team a week before the game on what's usually the weekly marquee game.  This whole episode has been blown up intentionally into a news story for filler purposes on the 24/7 sports show news cycle and to pump up viewership for a night game that would otherwise have spotty viewership.  The NFL is a business.  Manufacturing controversy (or at least publicizing something that most people would think is fairly standard practice amongst 300 pound young guys full of testosterone) keeps attention focused on things that otherwise wouldn't be paid attention to.  Of course the media script the last couple days has been "How will the Dolphins respond in this game amongst all the controversy and will the Bucs take advantage of the distraction to win their first game?"  Nevermind that it's been the media and the league office *making* it a distraction.  But that offers some compelling storyline to get people to tune in when they otherwise might not have.

This is a nightmare for the league. You can't seriously believe they are hyping this intentionally?

Someone asked me if all this sounded like prison. The answer is not at all. It does however remind me of juvenile detention.

I don't know about prison, per se, but Jessup pre release unit boot camp side was at one time about as high school as one could imagine. mostly because it's almost entirely young pups with less than extensive records not yet convicted of a serious crime and who haven't been any place less tolerant of silliness.

Night and day compared to other places.

I keep reading about Incognito history. I still haven't read specifics. What has this guy done in the past?

From the link I posted earlier:

2002:

• As a freshman at Nebraska, offensive lineman Richie Incognito reportedly bullies teammate Jack Limbaugh; Limbaugh leaves the team. Incognito is also ejected from a game for fighting.

2003:

• Nebraska’s coach suspends Incognito for reasons unknown, then reinstates him.

2004:

• Incognito is charged with three counts of assault after a fight at a party. He’s suspended and withdraws from school.

• Two weeks later, Incognito joins the Oregon football team. One week after that, he’s kicked off the Oregon football team.

2009:

• Incognito, having been drafted by the Rams in 2005, is voted the “NFL’s dirtiest player” by The Sporting News in a poll of 99 players.

• Jonathan Martin makes his first start in college football as a redshirt freshman for the Stanford Cardinal.

• Incognito is released by the Rams following several incidents, including head-butting and fighting opposing players and a fallout with then-Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo.

2010:

• Incognito signs with the Miami Dolphins.

2011:

• Incognito is involved in an in-game fight with Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who is fined $30,000 for punching Incognito.

2012:

• The Miami Dolphins select Martin, who was twice an All-American at Stanford.

2013:

• Incognito is involved in a scuffle with Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith, who later accuses him of playing dirty.

Archived