Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kiem: The Issue With Morgan On Returns

Dub70s

I never really get all the injury concern when it comes to who returns kicks.  I mean, I get it, but at the same time cannot recall the last time I saw somebody get injured seriously on a return.  I'd love to see Moss back there--I believe he's a legit threat (at least on punt returns)

the problem with Moss is that he hardly gets on the field anymore because he keeps dropping passes he used to catch easily.  if he's having trouble with those...you sure you want him back there returning end-over-end kickoffs & tense punt-returns when he's having trouble catching slants & 6 yard digs?

i really don't see a solution on our current roster.  someone's just going to have to step up & claim that job at some point...but i'm not too hopeful that will happen this year. 

there might be some guys on the P/S, but i really don't see us using a roster spot at this time to bring a guy up unless he really starts impressing folks. 

i do wonder though....have they considered Helu back there, at least for Kickoffs? 

Seriously man.  McLuster, Hester, Trindon Holiday, Jacoby Jones, Dwayne Harris.  I wish we had a guy that opposing teams are actually afraid of.  Out ST return game has slummed for quite a while now.

With our blocking, they'd get their heads caved in at some point. Sp teams just flat out sucks, across the board.

Bliz_Atl
@john_keim seems like Morgan lets LOTS of punts hit the ground. Trouble judging ball in air? No confidence fair catching? #redskinsmailbag

Keim: It’s the result of never having done it in his first five years in the NFL. Nor did he do it much at Virginia Tech -- 14 times to be exact. I think it’s a bit of everything: learning how to judge the ball in the air -- it’s much different than kickoffs -- and having the confidence to go make the catch. Not everyone feels comfortable doing this and he does not look comfortable. He’s an emergency fill-in.  The Redskins were thin on returners at the start of camp (Richard Crawford) and it’s having an effect now.

John Keim answered my question!  Where's the old cloud 9 smiley? 

We could always put Morgan in a car. 

Plus it gives Ed a chance to make one of his phantom made up calls sound genuine. 

Two birds with one stone. 

Hail. 

We have Hochuli? Crap, I need to go back to the prediction thread and make a change...Vikings 52 Redskins -4

I don't think Paul nor Morgan are the answer for returns.  As long as we stayed with Brandon Banks, I do think we maybe short changed CT a little early.  He has the speed to be dangerous, which none of the others have.

I would also agree that Moss would be a better option back there. 

That said, I think our kick-off returns were ok this past Sunday.....not spectacular, but at least at or across the 20. 

I don't know that you activate him, though.  Maybe you activate him for Aldrick... but you have to weigh that.

I don't remember Thompson being special on KR in pre season either.

But as far as Niles goes, his one KR this year went past the 25 yard line.  I will take that just about every time... with the occasional 40 yard return he'll give you.

The current group has given us an average starting field position of the 22 yard line, which is worst in the league.

Yeah, and he debowed that ball and I don't even think Josh went up to block for him :lol:

I'm not saying he is going to go out there and take it back for a TD, but if he gives you a Rock Cartwright-like effort of consistency where you are between the 25 and 30, that's a win for me.

i'll take this over morgan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eVl7i3m9mg

Sounds like no change for tonight or the foreseeable future. It's so uninspiring watching Josh Morgan handle both KR & PR duties. I can't fathom that after 8 weeks of watching Morgan return kicks, the coaches can either be happy with what they see or are happy with his production.

I do also blame the blocking, it's an 'Entire Unit Fail', but not every return will be perfect. A quicker/more agile returner in this league makes plays at least once in a while, despite poor blocking. Morgan does not. C'mon Shanahan/Burns! 

I think Morgan is really sub par as far as kickoffs are concerned. I think Niles would do a better job.

Honestly, after all the talk about how Josh got the screws out or whatever and how he's now playing pain free, he's been a huge disappointment. Thoroughly underwhelming. 

I agree that Moss should probably field punts. His third down role has been taken by Reed. 

i'll take this over morgan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eVl7i3m9mg

That was against scrubs though... and scrubs from a team that hasn't even won a game yet.

I would think about putting him at PR, but his decisions earned him the bench, not his lack of playmaking back there.  In all honesty, that's probably why Josh is back there... he is a veteran and has speed.  But when he is back there for his decision making and it isn't paying off... meh... lets try something else.

Niles is just far and away better on KRs though.

Archived