Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1987 Nfc Championship Game (Last Play)

fuji869

My all time singular favorite Redskins moment. It's kind of folklore that Green broke that pass up-- you can clearly see it is a flat drop, but it doesn't matter--- that was a glorious moment.

The 1987 team was the worst of title teams and probably not as good as the 1983 or 1986 teams either, but Gibbs was just so good and we got a great stroke of luck with the Vikings knocking off the 49ers the week prior.

I can never see that play enough :)

Man I am SO privileged to of grown up in the era I did and gotten to experience the glory years first hand. And even more privileged to of been brought up the right way from not only a football standpoint by the great man down on his knees silently praying that game winning play; but from a life standpoint. 

It still remains top of my bucket list to one day shake Coach' hand and say 'Thank you Coach. For everything.' No more. Just that and walk away. That will do me. And being the humblist of humble guys he is, no doubt that would be all he'd feel comfortable with too. 

Happy, happy memories. They may not of been the greatest ever Redskins team (but man, THAT quarter that followed .....); but my heart just sank a little among the smiles at the memory of 53 guys (or 47 back then) and a coaching staff you could rely on to give everything they had each and every Sunday for the cause and be proud of regardless of the result. 

Been a LONG time since we've had that across the board. 

Hail. 

gosh, don't remember this ... do remember the 87 Super Bowl, in fact I saw that game about 7-8 times the Monday after cause my cool ass parents let me skip school!!! 

Questions ... 

Who did Joe hug in the black jacket? He was so uptight before that hug ... 

Did Joe kind of brush of Bobby? Kind of weird interaction ... Joe looked a little annoyed. 

My all time singular favorite Redskins moment. It's kind of folklore that Green broke that pass up-- you can clearly see it is a flat drop, but it doesn't matter--- that was a glorious moment.

The 1987 team was the worst of title teams and probably not as good as the 1983 or 1986 teams either, but Gibbs was just so good and we got a great stroke of luck with the Vikings knocking off the 49ers the week prior.

I can never see that play enough :)

thanks for saying so,, I've always felt kind of dirty for realizing it's a straight drop whenever Redskins fans wax poetic.

I don't care.. it's still a great moment in team history, and DG has his rightful place among the all time greats.

~Bang

thanks for saying so,, I've always felt kind of dirty for realizing it's a straight drop whenever Redskins fans wax poetic.

I don't care.. it's still a great moment in team history, and DG has his rightful place among the all time greats.

~Bang

Rather than a drop, I prefer to think that Nelson heard footsteps. Or, we could say that Green would have made the play had Nelson held on for another split second. In some ways, he just avoided the inevitable.

Rather than a drop, I prefer to think that Nelson heard footsteps. Or, we could say that Green would have made the play had Nelson held on for another split second. In some ways, he just avoided the inevitable.

That's how I choose to look at it, myself. :)

That said --- as far as Thursday Night goes... the key to winning, and this sounds crazy, but the key to winning is keeping Adrian Peterson in the game.

We've never lost to the Vikings when AP plays a whole game.  When AP is out or AP gets knocked out of the game, we've never won (obviously since AP has joined the league).

2007 - Redskins win 32-21 (AP stays in)

2010 - Vikings win 17-13 (Toby Gerhart plays)

2011 - Vikings win 33-26 (AP and Ponder are knocked out and Joe Webb and Gehart come in and destroy our defense)

2012 - Redskins win 38-26 (AP stays in, Griffin does his thing)

So - AP plays a whole game?  We're 2-0

AP gets hurt?  We're 0-2

That's how I choose to look at it, myself. :)

That said --- as far as Thursday Night goes... the key to winning, and this sounds crazy, but the key to winning is keeping Adrian Peterson in the game.

We've never lost to the Vikings when AP plays a whole game.  When AP is out or AP gets knocked out of the game, we've never won (obviously since AP has joined the league).

2007 - Redskins win 32-21 (AP stays in)

2010 - Vikings win 17-13 (Toby Gerhart plays)

2011 - Vikings win 33-26 (AP and Ponder are knocked out and Joe Webb and Gehart come in and destroy our defense)

2012 - Redskins win 38-26 (AP stays in, Griffin does his thing)

So - AP plays a whole game?  We're 2-0

AP gets hurt?  We're 0-2

Yea, THATS the name of the guy who Haslett needs to pay special attention to. IF he's still on the team.

We had no answer for Gerhart, and I was pulling my hair out yelling for someone to TRY and cover/tackle the guy.

~Bang

And many forget that the only reason Green was able to break off his coverage of Anthony Carter to contest the play at all was because Carter ran the wrong route.  Carter was supposed to run a route to the back of the end zone which was designed to leave Nelson free underneath.  But Carter ran more of a comeback route which had Green close enough to get involved in the play.  Green did get in his hands in there on the ball though.

Still believe the Skins would have won the game in OT but thankfully we never had to find out what would have happened...

I remember that like it was yesterday. I was watching that play on my knees, half behind the couch not wanting to watch but unable to take my eyes away. The tension and then the relief, the release and then the excitement.

Mind you back in those days we expected to win rather than hoped we would win.

I posted this video on youtube...

I was with my dad at this game, right before kick off he found a penny on the ground, and put it in his pocket for good luck. The last play happened right in front of us, we had a bird eye view of it (section 418)

He still has that penny to this day!

Thanks for the memory. Was sitting with a couple of my best friends in their seats at the 5 yard line in that end zone, but on the far side from the play (behind the visiting bench.) During the timeout before the play, my friend and I looked at each other through glassy, reddened eyes and began chanting "SUPER-BOWL! SUPER-BOWL!" By the time the Skins and Vikes took the field most of the crowd in that end zone had picked up the chant at the top of their lungs. Delirium when the pass fell incomplete. Thanks again for the memories!

Green Claims it was his hit that broke up the play. The replay does show the receiver never really had it.

Oh well, great memory - the best part is seeing Coach Joe nearly pass out from the tension.. I do admit I was on my knees as well....

If you guys remember, the final game of the regular season that year was in Minnesota that the Skins won in OT... that was a great game as well.

Kleese needs to start his story thread or add to this one. He has such an amazing memory. I can't remember random games unless someone describes them. The only ones I remember are the famous games.

Was going to bump the Vikings thread from last year and just add the new game in, but I can't find it in the archives and I don't have the energy to do it all again. Lots of good memories against the Vikings with this play (Green didn't touch the ball guys, accept it) being the icing on the cake. The 1986 44-38 win in OT at RFK is always one that sticks out as well.

still my all-time favorite Redskins moment is when Darrell Green returned the punt for a TD vs. da Bears.  so many things go into why that moment was so great for me.

suffice to say i still remember where i was, how it unfolded, i could hear the roar of the crowd on the radio & the announcer as he called it. 

it will take a lot for any play to overcome that for my part.

HAIL

Such a great moment - And yeah -We lucked out that year.  People forget that 

1 -We were 8-4, it just so happened that the scab team went 3-0 that got us into the playoffs.

2- Doug Williams was 0-4 that year as a starter. I know we all hate Jay S now, but if not for him, we dont win enough games to MAKE the playoffs.

3- San Fran was the best team, the Vikings upsetting them was a huge reason we made it!

In fairness -The 83 Redskins were probably one of the best ever -but missed their chance. This was karma!

Archived