Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eric Rivera Convicted Of 2Nd Degree Murder Of Sean Taylor

Stugein

Full Story: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/11/sean-taylor-verdict-jury-in-eric-rivera-trial-reaches-verdict-96397.html

(WJLA) - More than six years after Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor was murdered in South Florida, the man accused of killing him has been found guilty.

Eric Rivera was convicted Friday of second-degree murder and other charges.

Taylor was shot during a burglary attempt at his Miami-area home on Nov. 26, 2007. He died a day later.

Neither prosecutors, Taylor's family nor the family of the football player's girlfriend would comment after the hearing.

Jury returned the verdict after 4 days of deliberation.

It will be interesting to see how much time he gets now that the verdict has been rendered.

A shame it took 6 years to go to trial..but that's justice American style...our system isn't perfect

but it's far better than most country's justice system.

RIP S.T....God bless his family...my heart goes out to them..it's never over for them...regardless

they got a life sentence that day...

I haven't been following for the last... 6 years? Anyway, what happened to 1st degree murder? Murder committed during a felony should be first degree.

Not sure.  First degree murder is what he was originally hit with but the jury decided to convict on the lesser charge instead.

What is the shortest time he could get, assuming good behavior?

The minimum sentence for 2nd degree murder with a firearm in Florida is 25 years.  In that case he'd get credit for the 6 served which would mean he'd have 19 years and he'd be up for parole in like 16'ish years.  I think he'd be up for possible parole in 20, but I'm not entirely certain on that.  If he gets the maximum then he's in for good; Florida does not parole life sentences.

We all know what this POS took from us fans; imagine how ST's family and friends feel?

I am thankful that some vets and ex players have the rookie symposium to talk to these kids with newfound money, and the

possible problems that come with it.

Now, regarding the POS? Pardon my cruelness, but I sincerely hope that he is put in a cell with a man who is recognized by Guiness as being the most endowed man on earth. I want this POS to sound like a fall breeze after eating a can of refried beans.

* I apologize to anyone who may be offended by my comment, but this trial took 6 years too long to evolve.

I don't get that, either. They would all share the max penalty. The death penalty would be off the table because one was 17.

I'm no legal expert, but I did recently serve on a jury in a violent crime case. I do know that getting 12 people to agree 100% on pizza toppings when your deliberating into the night is near impossible. Forget about everyone agreeing on interpretations of witness testimony, evidence, and analyzing the cases presented the same way.

My wife's father has been a prosecutor for the Commonwealt Attorney's office in several different VA cities for years and has always said that there is hardly ever a "smoking gun" in these cases, where there is no doubt whatsoever in all of the facts. I got to witness that exactly. It's hard to get past "beyond a reasonable doubt" We ended up a hung jury. I did find the process fascinating and think everybody should serve on a jury at least once.

As was already stated, it's a terrible tragedy and certainly there are no winners. My heart also goes out to the families of all involved. I don't think anyone can ever truly recover from a tragedy as awful as this. People just have to move on and do the best they can. At least this long phase of the process is nearing an end. They still have to go through more trials and sentencing though. I can't imagine how brutal that is.

This guys just tweeted he'll be on the fan discussing the case at 11:30.

Friends, I'll be on DC radio station @1067thefandc at 11:30 am today to talk about #SeanTaylor murder trial verdict, sentencing

My heart goes out to all involved, including the families of the victim and of the guilty party.

There are no winners here.  Nothing to celebrate.  A sad, tragic story from beginning to end.

Well said. My sentiments exactly.

Not sure.  First degree murder is what he was originally hit with but the jury decided to convict on the lesser charge instead.

Im not a law major, but if he didnt shoot the gun, he cant be convicted of 1st right? I mean, if George Zimmerman was up for 2nd and he SHOT the gun, how can someone who didnt shoot the gun (or be prooven that he shot the gun) be convicted of 1st?

Archived