Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

People Need To Realize That Football Players Are Wired Differently...

RonArtest15

This is in reference to RG3 diving for the first down when he landed awkwardly.  That's the competitor in him.  I've been hard on the guy, but he has a will to win by any means.  I completely respect that about him.  He has played a lot safer since the knee injury, but I think we, as fans, have to understand that these guys are willing to leave everything on the field if it means getting a win.  If you were on Twitter, you probably saw a bunch of reactions all over the place regarding his health after that run.  Think about it.  RG3 is playing for a coach who finished a game with a messed up lung (I think).  Ronnie Lott CHOSE to have part of his finger cut off to continue playing shortly after the injury.  It goes on and on.  It's easy to sit there and be an armchair doctor, offensive coordinator, etc., but at the end of the day, these athletes are going to do what THEY feel is the right thing to do in a given situation.  It all goes back to these guys just being wired a little differently than the next man.  Actually, I think you can make a case for most professional athletes being cut from that cloth as well.  It's out of our control (as fans), so let's just sit back and enjoy what we're watching and not be on pins and needles for every play that doesn't go as WE planned.  Hail. 

There's two types of players

MEN - RG3 risked his entire future playing with an injured knee last year. This year he is still struggling to slide and get out of bounds. Winning is more important to him than anything.

OTHERS - guys like Clay Matthews. He is a pass rushing linebacker with a broken thumb and sits out a month. Put on a club (like Cofield) and be a MAN

He sacrificed himself a bit on that triple option to Moss as well. He learned from last season's licks that you can't do it all the time, but must in key situations. As far as momentum, that 3rd down conversion was a must. You can see in that run he initially was going for out of bounds but then decided to cut up field to get that 1st down. He played in right in that leap so his knees weren't in danger.

Every QB, pocket or mobile, takes his licks throughout the season. Best bet is to save them for opportune times, which RG3 seems to be getting better at managing. Many people don't want to see that risk because of what he means to the team, but they also want to see us win, but may not realize that in order to have the latter you have to have some of the former. 

MEN - RG3 risked his entire future playing with an injured knee last year. This year he is still struggling to slide and get out of bounds. Winning is more important to him than anything.

OTHERS - guys like Clay Matthews. He is a pass rushing linebacker with a broken thumb and sits out a month. Put on a club (like Cofield) and be a MAN

Machismo! *** yeah! *chest bump*

This was sarcasm btw

I agree with the original post.  Griffin is never going to do what he would consider to be wimping out in a "critical" moment.  Come what may...it's not in his nature. 

If he keeps doing what he has been doing this year.  Running out of bounds.  Sliding (definitely needs to work on this), not exposing himself on a regular basis...regular basis is the key...he will and should take his opportunities when he gets them.

nothing is fool proof.  This game is dangerous. 

In defense of Matthews, his injury is pretty rare in how it is broken,, it's a specific thing that happened, and the risk to his use of his hand for the rest of his life is at question.

And that includes as a football player.. because you may be able to cast up and play for a few weeks,, but an entire career?

~Bang

In defense of Matthews, his injury is pretty rare in how it is broken,, it's a specific thing that happened, and the risk to his use of his hand for the rest of his life is at question.

And that includes as a football player.. because you may be able to cast up and play for a few weeks,, but an entire career?

~Bang

Geez Bang. Why don't you guys have a sleepover and brush each other's hair. Kidding. I agree about Matthews.

I am also fine with Griffin playing to win. I have never really bought into all the "protection" talk that was going on since the Seattle game. What's the point of having a franchise QB who isn't willing to leave it all out on the field?

I don't mean that he has to make reckless decisions all the time, but a 3rd-and-9 conversion there is a pretty critical play. You don't see guys like Aaron Rodgers giving up on plays like that and choosing to give the ball back to the opponent. If we are up by 14 there, he probably makes a different decision.

I was saying this before the season, no way Griffin doesn't go for whatever the team needs when the game is on the line health be damned and that's what I love about him as our QB. It's just a matter of not doing it all the time and only when the team needs it. Even then he has to make sure his legs/shoulders aren't in harms way as much as possible.

I just didn't like the way he came down. I do admire that he doesn't play scared, and is willing to put it all on the line though, and also recognize that it was at a crucial point in the game. Like I said in the gameday thread, sometimes you just have to say "**** it, I'm moving the chains," but still, that lading was insane. One thing is for sure though... He is past the mental part of recovery, in terms of taking hits. He's been bent very which way for the last few weeks. His leg bent at an awkward angle on the tipped INT in the endzone as well.

There are two types of players:

Idiots: Players who risk their entire future and perhaps family's future both financially and physically in order to finish a game while injured. People who would put their long term health, livelihood, and stability on the line in order to chase a ball around on the field and run into people.

Smart people: Players who realize when they have a major or unique injury which may affect their future on a personal level, and do the intelligent thing by having faith in their teammates and putting their safety and lives first.

That's pertaining to playing when you know you have a dangerous injury.

As for RG3, he's going to play the way that he needs to play regardless of the risks, and it's fundamentally impossible to make him stop taking risks.

It's crazy how so many "fans" were turning on him because he wasn't playing like himself, i'm glad to see more fans supporting the kid. 

I even saw a poster with a sig "RGIII is Jason Campbell and Patrick Ramsey with a little bit better mobility prove me wrong" 

Look at Derrick Rose and Russel Westbrook they are struggling coming back from injury, RGIII is struggling as well he will be back to himself and he will make the people who criticized him (calling him selfish, a terrible passer, a bust ) pay, I guarantee it. 

There are two types of players:

Idiots: Players who risk their entire future and perhaps family's future both financially and physically in order to finish a game while injured. People who would put their long term health, livelihood, and stability on the line in order to chase a ball around on the field and run into people.

Smart people: Players who realize when they have a major or unique injury which may affect their future on a personal level, and do the intelligent thing by having faith in their teammates and putting their safety and lives first.

That's pertaining to playing when you know you have a dangerous injury.

As for RG3, he's going to play the way that he needs to play regardless of the risks, and it's fundamentally impossible to make him stop taking risks.

oh my god crazy how you took the words right out of my mouth.

many criticized it, I loved it! reminded me of Randall Cunningham. The land was a tad awkward though. he's a competitor. Just glad he's ok.  He's certainly has headed for the sideline, and does what he can to slide(not pretty) and has played smarter...but I'm glad the desire, and extreme competitor is still wired in. He's constantly making breakthroughs and improving.

Archived