Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Monster Good Spot For 1St And Goal From The 6" Line

HogHeaven1983

The Redskins got LUCKY with a fantastic spot, after the replay ref announced that the ball will be placed as "first and goal from the 6 inch line"

The refs then placed the ball just inside the 1 yard line (I estimate from the photo that the ball was placed around the 30" line instead of the 6" line). Those extra two feet that the Redskins were GIFTED further back were HUGE as it meant it would be harder for the QB to just sneak over or reach his hands over the goal line.

six_inch_line.jpg

Given these refs called offensive pass interference on a play in which the receiver and corner never got within a foot of one another..  and then called holding on Chester while he was flat faced on the ground...  and then TWO of them within 10 feet of the play called the Woodhead play a TOUCHDOWN in the first plac e,, it would not surprise me if tghey placed the ball at midfield and said "First and goal from the six inch line".

They were terrible.. and the refs are terrible everywhere, every game, all the time.

This group flat made phantom calls, and could not see plays dead in front of their eyes. Straight incompetence.

As to holding,, give up on it..  the NFL has decided that they are not calling it anymore.

Offense Offense Offense.

~Bang

As to holding,, give up on it..  the NFL has decided that they are not calling it anymore.

Offense Offense Offense.

If that's the case, I'd like some consistency.

If a mugging in pass blocking is OK, then run blocking should be the same. 

I agree, but I doubt that will happen the NFL wants high scoring, fast paced football.

I do not know what to think about the refs anymore. The only 2 things I can come with is.

1. The NFL is rigged 

2. They are mental midgets with extremely good pay versus performance.

HTTR

I agree, but I doubt that will happen the NFL wants high scoring, fast paced football.

I do not know what to think about the refs anymore. The only 2 things I can come with is.

1. The NFL is rigged 

2. They are mental midgets with extremely good pay versus performance.

HTTR

I keep thinking they want Snyder to change the name, but they can't force him. So they will just screw us.

But we also get some favorable calls so that's unlikely. 

Preaching to the choir, my friend.

It's appalling how bad the refs have gotten, and it's worse that they truly appear to be trying to cripple defenses.

When defensive holding calls outnumber offensive holding calls you know it's bad. 

I have no idea if that is indeed the case,, but to my rabid watch-every-game-eye..  it sure seems like it. Defensive Holding seems to be running about 2-1 to Offensive holding.

~Bang

Personally I thought the failure to reverse the down by contact ruling on the should-have-been fumble was more significant. Understand the camera angle needed might not have been there, but the ball was definitely out.

I think i remember them saying the Shanahan was challenging the  spot, and not the fumble.

If so, then are they allowed to even look at whether it's a fumble?

I'm not sure of the challenge rules when it comes to seeing something that was not part of the challenge.

~Bang

i agree that the game was called horribly and very inconsistently ... the refs were terrible on calls going both ways

I saw holding all day by the chargers never called ... and the two holds on us were marginal

Then they blew that charger fumble call

But we got a gift on the personal foul on Garcon and the late spot on the goal line

In any case I was VERY GLAD to see where the ball eventually got placed, that was a HUGE break and if the call went the other way, I am sure I would be moaning about it.

I honestly hate to see the refs and their bad calls have such a big impact either way (for or against us) ... I would rather see fewer calls or at least more consistent call.

That statement is so true. Which make me lean towards thinking its rigged.

Hail

There is "holding" on nearly every single play.  Yet, they only call it when they want to.  Speaks for itself.

Then they blew that charger fumble call

Yes they did.  The ref just didn't have balls enough to make the change, but that ball was clearly coming out before his knee hit the field.  Even the announcers (who rarely ever speak in our favor) both expected that to be overturned.

All the other smoke aside, game after game we get the everlovin **** held out of us and it never gets called then we have huge plays called back for holding and in the replay there is simply no holding or if there is it is so minor it probably happens every single down.

Same with clipping.  Many of the touchdowns special teams have given up were sprung due to flagrant clips right in front of the refs and no flag.  If we ever have a decent return we get the clip flag every time.

Nevertheless, as long as Haslett insists on blitzin the house on every 3rd and 4th and long these games will be close.  That 4th and 2 in the 4th quarter with a few minutes left where the receiver didn't have a defender in the screenshot with him was pathetic.  Why was he so open?  Massive Haslett blitz, what else.

Nevertheless, as long as Haslett insists on blitzin the house on every 3rd and 4th and long these games will be close.  That 4th and 2 in the 4th quarter with a few minutes left where the receiver didn't have a defender in the screenshot with him was pathetic.  Why was he so open?  Massive Haslett blitz, what else.

I think I heard in post game that the D changed the play. Hall and Amerson picked up on it but Wilson didn't. You can see Hall pointing to that side of the field before the play. 

I agree there were bad calls all around, but the most critical was the fumble by Woodhead.  How can that not be a fumble?  Yes the SD had some horrible calls go against them but when it came to holding they didn't get a single holding penalty against them.  Go watch the final drive especially where Kerrigan gets mucked at least twice.  they would never have been down there for us to talk about Woodhead not getting in, hell they also missed that call.  A couple of our holding calls on runs were at best "hopeful"....I mean come on now.

Any close football game has dozens of such moments. Isolating any one or several can be fun but is usually not very meaningful. And for every one that you can say "if this hadn't....", you can posit endless other scenarios from "the other side" and basically it's all just doing what we do here---having fun or more seriously sorting through the bird entrails, tossing their bones, and making analyses.

I think this was a fun one (the spot) that I definitely noted during the game, but sure didn't think it was likely to matter in the situation.

Now you were actually able to enjoy the win, right GHH? Because I couldn't tell yesterday for sure, but then I didn't read all your posts.  :)  :lol:

Archived