Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Davis Enterprise: Pepper-Spray Cop Gets $38K In Workers' Comp For "depression And Anxiety"

Bliz

Words fail me. 

Wait, no they don't.  Words that won't get me banned fail me.

http://www.davisenterprise.com/local-news/ucd/pike-uc-reach-38059-workers-comp-agreement/

The former campus cop seen in a viral video pepper-spraying student protesters will receive workers’ compensation totaling $38,056.

John Pike, 40, of Roseville, reportedly suffered depression and anxiety brought on by death threats he and his family received after the Nov. 18, 2011, confrontation at an Occupy UC Davis encampment.

Administrative Law Judge Harter approved the settlement agreement between Pike and the University of California on Oct. 16.

“This case has been resolved in accordance with state law and processes on workers’ compensation,” UC Davis spokesman Andy Fell said in an email message. Sacramento attorney Jason Marcus, who represented Pike, declined to comment on Wednesday.

Bernie Goldsmith, a Davis lawyer supportive of the protesters, said that the settlement “sends a clear message to the next officer nervously facing off with a group of passive, unarmed students: Go on ahead. Brutalize them. Trample their rights. You will be well taken care of.”

Now, Pike will be paid more money than those he pepper-sprayed.

In January, UCD agreed to pay $1 million to settle a federal suit. Twenty-one plaintiffs who were sprayed or arrested were to receive $30,000 each. Another 15 who also had claims approved were to be paid $6,666 apiece.

Chief Matt Carmichael fired Pike in July 2012, following eight months of paid administrative leave.

During that time, separate investigations came to different conclusions about how Pike responded when seated students, with their arms locked together, would not clear a path for officers leading away handcuffed protesters.

A public task force, led by former California Supreme Court Justice Cruz Reynoso, faulted both police and administrators for their roles in incident. Its investigation found that Pike did not need to use the pepper spray, at all, and that he used a spray not sanctioned for use by the department and that he doused the protesters from an unsafe distance.

An internal affairs investigation resulted in a panel calling only for Pike’s suspension, according to a confidential report obtained by the Sacramento Bee.

At the time of his psychiatric evaluation, Pike was appealing his termination. UCD has not rehired him.

The former Marine will receive retirement benefits for his 11 years of campus employment. He was being paid an annual salary of $121,680 at the time he was fired.

Wait, what?

This makes me think of the poor cop on that same force who probably has had real injuries in the line of work and is toughing them out so he can provide for his family, and another cop who probably was actually injured on the job and is having a tough time getting worker's comp., deprived while this a-hole gets a pay day for his arrogant brutality.

This isn't surprising though. If you are the kind of world-class-a-hole who will walk by protesters sitting down and non-chalantly pepper spray them in the face, then you are indeed the kind of world-class-a-hole who will claim mental distress over it and basically steal worker's comp. from people who actually need it. As if he wasn't already over paid as it is. I imagine his life is going to get even more stressful now. 

$112,000 Rent a Cop????

:wacko:

Rent a cop? You do realize that most university police departments employ fully sworn officers that have all the rights of arrest that a county sheriff, etc would have. 

^^This. WTF?? What cop ANYWHERE is worth $112K/year? They've gotta be kidding. Damn, I'm in the wrong line of work!

First off it was in California, etc. He was also 40 so he had probably been employed there for at least 10-15 years, and combine that with any advance in rank he might have received, plus overtime (which is plentiful at college campuses). Seems about right. Do find it funny that you don't think any cop would be worth that much though. 

My wife used to work for a workman's compensation underwriter and among others they had Metro. They gave out workman's comp to a guy who got cold feet while working in winter. So he worked April through October the rest of the time he collected workman's comp. DC govt is full of bonus claims like that. People go to work at Metro for a week and then hurt their back in the bathroom and be out for years. A lot of injuries happen in the bathroom

I don't like this guy, but 38K isn't much of an award.   You have to remember, workers comp operates under pretty limited rules.  You can't deny someone workers comp because they are a jerk.  If they make their claim of injury and back it up with medical records, they will usually get compensated.  However, the awards are always really small.  The whole system is designed to operate cheaply outside the ordinary court system and with minimal paperwork and litigation.   It's a trade-off.  

First off it was in California, etc. He was also 40 so he had probably been employed there for at least 10-15 years, and combine that with any advance in rank he might have received, plus overtime (which is plentiful at college campuses). Seems about right. Do find it funny that you don't think any cop would be worth that much though. 

as a former marine- like the cop in question- and criminal justice major who nearly became a cop, yes, $121,000 is an outrageous salary for a campus cop with 11 years on the job.  beyond outrageous.

spending government (taxpayer) money is awesome.

as a former marine- like the cop in question- and criminal justice major who nearly became a cop, yes, $121,000 is an outrageous salary for a campus cop with 11 years on the job.  beyond outrageous.

spending government (taxpayer) money is awesome.

This I agree with.  I know a lot of public employees out here at all levels, and no, they don't generally pull down anything close to that kind of salary.  

If I recally correctly, this guy was the second or third in command of the UC Davis Police force, and supervised something like half of the force.  

Archived