Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

26 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

When I was in middle through high school, I used to judge a game's value by the number of hours I got out of it versus its cost.  Nice and simple.  But these days, I find time is at such a premium, really we need to ask ourselves of the QUALITY of the time spent playing the games.  These days, I'll take "really good and long enough" over "really long and good enough".

I'm with you on that.  Some of my favorite games this gen are like 3-4 hours long.

Hell I can beat Moss in one sitting in like 50 minutes if I skip the cutscenes.

32 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

When I was in middle through high school, I used to judge a game's value by the number of hours I got out of it versus its cost.  Nice and simple.  But these days, I find time is at such a premium, really we need to ask ourselves of the QUALITY of the time spent playing the games.  These days, I'll take "really good and long enough" over "really long and good enough".

I remember when people went crazy over map sizes. I cared when GTA3 came out, because as a limited gamer back then, I had never experienced anything like it. 

But I stopped caring when I realized a lot of it was filled with nonsense, and you couldnt go in a lot of these places.

I long for the day we get scaled back and totally interactive environments.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I remember when people went crazy over map sizes. I cared when GTA3 came out, because as a limited gamer back then, I had never experienced anything like it. 

But I stopped caring when I realized a lot of it was filled with nonsense, and you couldnt go in a lot of these places.

Open world games have never really appealed to me other than around the GTA3 era, but by San Andreas I was pretty much over them.  There are some outliers like God of War and Zelda BOTW that I have enjoyed, but generally I steer clear of them.

Open world games don’t even feel all that “open world-y” when atleast 80% of the map is usually capped by the leveling system. And to level up, you typically have to grind mindless crap. 

I just roll my eyes when I see a game developer bragging about the scale of its games map. Congrats on building a **** ton of buildings that serve no purpose to the core gameplay. 

Look at a game like the Division 2. It’s got about 20% of DC mapped perfectly block to block. It captured a portion of my neighborhood down to the five guys and obscure falafel joint. Yet the map is so damn lifeless and the game totally boring. 

The greatest E3 moment in history for me is the PS3 reveal, with the Warhawk motion controllers and the giant enemy crabs.

Oh and let's not forget RRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDGE RRRAAAAACCCEEERRR!!!

Then the *crickets* immediately following.

13 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah, map size did used to mean something back when the map was filled with places to see and things to do.  Seems these days they work so hard to make bigger maps but then don't populate them so there's a whole bunch of wasted space.  I remember GTA V was bragging how big it was, but most of that space was just empty hills in the center.

7 minutes ago, Chew said:

Fallout slander will not be tolerated.  

Do it again and I'll get a mod involved.  

you won't.

23 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I got nothin for Bethesda on the heels of that "10 years away" comment on TES VI. 

I may get a rig to play some of the older TES and Fallout games

10 years? I doubt that. I think they'll time it for shortly into the next gen of consoles. Maybe 2021, so it'd be 10 years after Skyrim.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

10 years? I doubt that. I think they'll time it for shortly into the next gen of consoles. Maybe 2021, so it'd be 10 years after Skyrim.

I know Skyrim is a game that people have poured like a billion hours into and they even have a version on every system even one i can play on my microwave so I'm not saying it's not successful or wasn't good but I really hope VI changes things up a lot. New engine, new dialogue system, new quest system, change the guilds etc. I don't know it just feels so dated even playing it at the time maybe due to how much time I spent in Oblivion. 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I know Skyrim is a game that people have poured like a billion hours into and they even have a version on every system even one i can play on my microwave so I'm not saying it's not successful or wasn't good but I really hope VI changes things up a lot. New engine, new dialogue system, new quest system, change the guilds etc. I don't know it just feels so dated even playing it at the time maybe due to how much time I spent in Oblivion. 

Agreed. I loved Skyrim(especially with mods)but I want something fresh and new. In particular, I think combat needs overhauling. Its just so clunky and unfun and ends up pidgeon holing everyone into a stealth archer style because its both OP and not as much of a mess to play.

Speaking of Skyrim. I picked up AC- Odyssey a little over a week ago when Xbox had the E3 sale. Only got a few hours into it so far but I've been really impressed.

Seems like they took Origins mechanics and are moving more towards Skyrim/Witcher 3 open world games. Honestly I don't even think of this as an Assassins Creed game..I'm not sure they did either. I'm fine with that. 

The stealth genre has been suffering big time since the Splinter Cell series took a nose dive. It sucks that AC is now seemingly ditching it too. 

How hard is to make a stealth game with great level design, simple but useful mechanics and a decent story, like the OG Splinter Cell games? Or maybe there is no market for this stuff anymore and I’m just an old fart pining for the good old days while the youngins are busy spending their time and money on Fortnite character dress up. 

49 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The stealth genre has been suffering big time since the Splinter Cell series took a nose dive. It sucks that AC is now seemingly ditching it too. 

How hard is to make a stealth game with great level design, simple but useful mechanics and a decent story, like the OG Splinter Cell games? Or maybe there is no market for this stuff anymore and I’m just an old fart pining for the good old days while the youngins are busy spending their time and money on Fortnite character dress up. 

Agreed, I love good stealth games. But they just don't make them anymore. Its all about instant gratification and multiplayer components and stealth based games just don't fit that.

Damn now I'm getting the itch to play Deus Ex again.

55 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Have you played dishonored 1-2? You can go through the entire games without killing  anyone. 

Its a FPS in fantasy steampunk setting with magical abilities too and open ended levels/hub areas where you have tons of different routes and ways to complete your mission such as finding damning evidence that gets a person arrested instead of killing them. It’s an extremely rewarding stealth experience with different endings based on how you play the game 

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

I rant about this often. I think the monopoly of action based fps/multiplayer games has a ton to do with it, speaking from an upper echelon dev standpoint.

People only want multiplsyers, and if its not multiplayer its rpg. Nothing else can really survive without some kind of strong backing/reputation

On 6/19/2019 at 5:11 PM, No Excuses said:

I miss Splinter Cell so much.  Chaos Theory was so freaking good.  Immediately nose-dived after Double Agent.  Both versions of DA, by the way, were pretty good and worth experiencing.

Then Conviction happened and completely threw out the gameplay mechanics that made the game so popular.  No hiding of bodies, there's literally a "kill everybody in the room" button, and you can't even TRY to sneak around like you used to.  Instead of carefully tilting the joystick forward to creep ever so slowly and silently towards your target, movement speed is binary; full speed or full stop.  What the **** were they thinking there?  Then whatever that other one was called thought it would be a good idea to replace the iconic Michael Ironside with some child and try to pass him off as a 50-year-old grizzled veteran.  Sorry, but no, Sam Fisher was already getting to be "too old for this ****" back in Chaos Theory, but three games later he's found the fountain of youth and is younger than ever?  Ugh.

I didn't bother to spend enough time with the games post Double Agent to see if the story was still any good, but what I'd heard wasn't promising.

I might have to go back for another playthrough of the only 4(ish) games in the series that count.

On 6/19/2019 at 5:01 PM, ShredSkins said:

Speaking of Skyrim. I picked up AC- Odyssey a little over a week ago when Xbox had the E3 sale. Only got a few hours into it so far but I've been really impressed.

Seems like they took Origins mechanics and are moving more towards Skyrim/Witcher 3 open world games. Honestly I don't even think of this as an Assassins Creed game..I'm not sure they did either. I'm fine with that. 

Gameplay is fun and some of the skills you can pick up are terrific, but unfortunately you're going to find that that game is surprisingly barren. 

Archived