Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

Yeah these open worlds are just getting too large. Ive played AC: Odyssey for over two weeks now doing a bunch of crap, and im not even at 10% completion.

Then I just want to do the quests now, but many are level capped so I have to go right back to farming and leveling. It's making me want to just put the controller down, permanently.

8 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Divinity Original Sin 2, is my RPG savior. I got bored of Odyssey, but DOS2 is an amazing creation. I've never see a game basically invite you to break it, because it has so many options and different approaches to dealing with it's challenges.

Do you have any tips? I have it, but cannot get off the island at the beginning. I got off the ship, but everyone I try to fight on the island kicks the crap out of me.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

It's making me want to just put the controller down, permanently.

Yeah, I have to go back and forth on what kind of games to play. So, I just played Spiderman. Starting tonight I am doing Nioh. Which, as far as I can tell, is pretty straight forward gameplay. Not open world. Then after that Deus Ex

41 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Finished up Spiderman last night. It was good. I think the things that plagued it are the same things that plague all open world games, the monotonous side quests. I know I could skip them, but then I miss out on leveling up my character.

This is why I'm starting to dislike these big open world games. They just get too tedious. But, I'm the kind of person that has to 100% these. I don't platinum, no patience or time.

But, the Spiderman story and gameplay are fantastic. I loved all the nods to other Marvel comics and the guest appearance of a certain someone.

Yeah I'm worn down from big open world games too. I mean, some games do them really well, like Skyrim, but too many games are going this route now and most of them don't do it right.

1 hour ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Do you have any tips? I have it, but cannot get off the island at the beginning. I got off the ship, but everyone I try to fight on the island kicks the crap out of me.

Do you have a full party yet? Starting tips would be to talk to everyone and do quests that don’t involve fighting at first. They will help you level up. Also get the pet pal talent so one of your people can talk to animals. That will help you avoid some hard fights and get xp.

Also do Gawins quest as soon as your able so you can get the teleport gloves. That skill is near game breaking because of its versatility. For instance you can put a barrel in your inventory, fill it with the heaviest **** you have and then teleport that heavy ass barrel onto an enemy and kill them instantly. And that’s not even talking about all the places you can get into with the skill or how you can teleport tough enemies half way across the map while you kill off the weaker ones.

Also pay attention to the elemental barrels and realize you can strategically teleport them too if you want. 

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

Do you have a full party yet? 

Also do Gawins quest as soon as your able so you can get the teleport gloves. That skill is near game breaking because of its versatility. For instance you can put a barrel in your inventory, fill it with the heaviest **** you have and then teleport that heavy ass barrel onto an enemy and kill them instantly. And that’s not even talking about all the places you can get into with the skill or how you can teleport tough enemies half way across the map while you kill off the weaker ones.

I do have a full party.

Didn't think the cat following me around was important

I got the gloves but maybe I just need to think outside the box when using them. Thanks for the help!

I would take a linear story driven game over an open world one 10/10 times.  I haven't really enjoyed open world games since early Xbox 360 days with Crackdown.  There are exceptions though, like God of War, but that's because I like God of War and they basically reinvented that game.  I also enjoyed Breath of the Wild, but again, it's Zelda.

The Borderlands 2 DLC they released on Sunday afternoon (free until 7/9 if you have the Handsome Collection on Xbone, PS4 or PC) is great.  Solid story that bridges the gap between BL2 and BL3, cool new guns, satisfying/challenging fights.  Also increases the level cap to 80 so if you're into the grind you can spend a good bit of time farming gear (or doing whatever you want) until 9/13.

15 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

First, assemble a party of four. Doesn't really matter who because you can choose what classes to assign people. I'd recommend one tanky character, one healer who can throw down some crowd control(magic damage is honestly not that great in this game), an archer, and a stealthy rogue type. Make sure that someone has the Telekenesis skill(probabl your healer mage person), its incredibly important both in and out of combat. Ideally your mage character should have the ability that can wash away fire(there is soo much fire in this game)as well.

Secondly, look for quests that don't require combat. There are quite a few that can level you up to like 3 or 4. Level is HUGE in DOS2. Even being one level below the enemy can make a big difference. Talk to as many people as possible. You can run away if a fight appears to be too hard. There are generally peaceful resolutions to many quests.

Third, in combat try to play tactically. Back track and force enemies into choke points. Your tank should be able to take some hits. Your rogue and archer can pick off weak casters/archers. Your mage should heal and CC when needed. Because of the way combat works, the most optimal set up is either all physical damage or all magic damage since you have to strip down either armor(with phys damage) or shield(with magic damage). A 2-2 split is okay too but like I said before, magic damage is pretty mediocre in this game.

I’m fine with open world games. I don’t over expose myself to them so they don’t wear out. The ones I like best are action focused with a decent skill tree/character upgrades. Spider-Man and Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War are the best I’ve heard later in a while that fall in that mold perfectly. If I have to grind or level up to progress in the story, I want no parts of it.  All those games are level up as you do fun stuff and you get more skills and costumes. It never felt like a grind and you weren’t totally screwed if you got to the end and weren’t maxed out. That’s what makes exploring and combat fun in those games, it never feels likes a chore. 

Then you have something like RDR2 which doesn’t have leveling or grinding at all, it basically drops you into a massive detailed world to be the backdrop of an incredible, tight,  story and action focused campaign.

I could never play something like monster hunter or the division which just seem like endless grinding for loot. 

Is this thread to talk about the Nintendo Switch too?  That mario maker game coming out later this month looks amazing. I have been holding out purchasing a switch, but my oldest is now starting to want to play Sonic Mania on the PS4, and I think she is ready to be educated on the world of Super Mario Bros as well.  Was thinking about purchasing the Mario Kart bundle. 

Who has a switch and what do they think? Seems like for a family gaming system you can't really go wrong?

I have a Switch and it is my most played console.  It has tons of great games on it.  And I have all 3 consoles, including the upgraded X1X and PS4 Pro.

My PS4 is 2nd most played, but that is solely due to PSVR.  If I didn't have PSVR, my PS4 wouldn't get turned on like at all.  I haven't played a non-VR game since God of War was brand new, and prior to that, it was probably Street Fighter 5.

I have MM2 preordered and am looking forward to it.  

The portability of the Switch is tremendous too.  I'll go through phases where I'll play it in portable mode on my couch every now and then.  When I was into Dead Cells, it was PERFECT for that because that is such a game you can pick up and put down, in like 5-10 minute spurts.  I also take it with me when I travel and it's all I do on flights and makes the flights go by REALLY fast.  There are SSSSSOOOOO many great little indie games in the $5-$20 range too, some that are a couple hours to full fledge games.  

Switch is by far the most "fun" system and there are so many clever games that aren't the standard crap you are used to on PS4 and Xbox One.  It's a breath of fresh air, as is PSVR which is why those are really all I play now a days.  And then you also have the AAA Nintendo brand games.  Mario Odyssey is probably the best game I've played since Mario 64.  It gave me that same feeling as Mario 64 did back in the day when playing through it.

I've had every console since their launch date, and while Switch is the newest, the one I have the most games for is Switch.

16 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I’m fine with open world games. I don’t over expose myself to them so they don’t wear out. The ones I like best are action focused with a decent skill tree/character upgrades. Spider-Man and Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War are the best I’ve heard later in a while that fall in that mold perfectly. If I have to grind or level up to progress in the story, I want no parts of it.  All those games are level up as you do fun stuff and you get more skills and costumes. It never felt like a grind and you weren’t totally screwed if you got to the end and weren’t maxed out. That’s what makes exploring and combat fun in those games, it never feels likes a chore. 

Then you have something like RDR2 which doesn’t have leveling or grinding at all, it basically drops you into a massive detailed world to be the backdrop of an incredible, tight,  story and action focused campaign.

I could never play something like monster hunter or the division which just seem like endless grinding for loot. 

I think the issue nowadays is everyone is trying to incorporate RPG elements into their games. Leveling up, skills, etc. It works for some but doesn't work for others. I've never played AC: Odyssey but I was shocked when someone said its basically an RPG now. RDR2 was basically perfect in just about every way.

Looter games can be fun but only if the loot is consistently dropped and worth the grinding. I was playing Division 2 with my brother but we quit because we hit a wall with our loot and nothing was dropping that was of any upgrade at all. Monster Hunter gameplay is pretty fun but SUPER repetitive as you're literally killing the same monster(s) over and over.

Origins was like an rpg. Odyssey is like an rpg that was handed roids by Barry Bonds

Its a shame. It was initially an action adventury stealth game.

Much as I love Kojma, MGSV pissed me off as well with its semi-repetitive open world. Same with the weirdness of Uncharted IV

Playing Detroit: Become Human was like holding my head above water after nearly drowning

22 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Is this thread to talk about the Nintendo Switch too?  That mario maker game coming out later this month looks amazing. I have been holding out purchasing a switch, but my oldest is now starting to want to play Sonic Mania on the PS4, and I think she is ready to be educated on the world of Super Mario Bros as well.  Was thinking about purchasing the Mario Kart bundle. 

Who has a switch and what do they think? Seems like for a family gaming system you can't really go wrong?

Depends on what exclusive games you like.  I have all three systems (XB1, PS4, Switch).  Actually, I have two Switches, one for me and one for my daughter.  I got mine after hers so we could play Splatoon 2 online together.  It's fun, good games for it, but it's the least played console for me personally.  But I'm more into multiplayer online games and FPS (NBA 2K19, Madden, Rainbow Six Siege, etc.).

Mario Kart is awesome, so is Zelda, Mario Tennis, Splatoon 2, Mario Odessey, Mario Party, Super Smash Bros. and a crap ton of other games.  My daughter loves her Switch.  Their online game play sucks imo, it's about as horrible as you can get compared to the other two consoles.  I wouldn't say that should be a decision maker unless that's one of the main reasons/main reason you want to buy one.

I don't like playing games on the tablet mode with the joycon controllers on each side, feels odd to me.  I hook mine up to my gaming monitor usually and play with a pro controller (one that is basically the same button configuration as the XB1 controllers).  

All in all, I think its a great console overall, with some really great games.  I'm just more of a multiplayer mainstream games player, so it gets less time from me than the other consoles.

6 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Origins was like an rpg. Odyssey is like an rpg that was handed roids by Barry Bonds

Its a shame. It was initially an action adventury stealth game.

Much as I love Kojma, MGSV pissed me off as well with its semi-repetitive open world. Same with the weirdness of Uncharted IV

Playing Detroit: Become Human was like holding my head above water after nearly drowning

Ohh yeah Metal Gear Solid being open world was beyond moronic. Completely destroyed the game for me.

MGS4 completely ruined MGS for me.  MGS2 is a close second too but with all the hype after part 1 was incredible I could look past all the stupid **** and playing as someone else most of the time.  And it was the first one on PS2 so it looked incredible at the time.

But damn part 4 was god awful.  I didn't even get past chapter 4.

On 6/11/2019 at 6:29 PM, purbeast said:

Switch is by far the most "fun" system and there are so many clever games that aren't the standard crap you are used to on PS4 and Xbox One.  It's a breath of fresh air, as is PSVR which is why those are really all I play now a days.  And then you also have the AAA Nintendo brand games.  Mario Odyssey is probably the best game I've played since Mario 64.  It gave me that same feeling as Mario 64 did back in the day when playing through it.

I've had every console since their launch date, and while Switch is the newest, the one I have the most games for is Switch.

Yeah The Switch sounds more my speed at the moment. I need more games that I can pick up and put down at my leisure due to lack of overall time to invest in gaming currently.  My daughters will probably love being introduced to Mario Kart & Mario games in general.  The modernized-retro indie games are what I have been getting into the most lately, old-school side scrollers modernized.  Platforming games etc etc....

6 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Yeah The Switch sounds more my speed at the moment. I need more games that I can pick up and put down at my leisure due to lack of overall time to invest in gaming currently.  My daughters will probably love being introduced to Mario Kart & Mario games in general.  The modernized-retro indie games are what I have been getting into the most lately, old-school side scrollers modernized.  Platforming games etc etc....

Oh man oh man... if you are into the retro style games, modernized or not, the Switch is the platform.  There are so many good games in that genre.  I just finished this one called Gris last week that is one of the coolest gaming experiences I've had like ever.  It's only about 4 hours too so it's short.  But it is just an incredible 4 hours.  It's very strange to say this but it's probably the most emotional I've felt in a game before too, and there is not one word of dialog.  It's just the music in the game paired with the art style.  

Hollow Knight is also an incredible metroidvania style game.  It just went on sale for $7.50.  I could give you a handful of great games like these.

Archived