Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

Thanks @Taze that was a great write-up. I guess in the end, most of my friends have had either both systems or Xbox and I remember back to my college days when all we did was play CoD or Halo and when I was home on breaks, etc. I could never link in ... and I established absolutely zero online capabilities with the PS network because any of my friends who were gaming online had the 360.

Now that I'm past the age of online gaming. At the most, I might be able to see myself linking into the system and playing Madden or PGA or FIFA with a friend ... or maybe someday some Halo online with old college buddies, but nothing more than a few hours here or there.

At the end of the day, this would mainly be an entertainment console and I'm more than fine with that. BUT ... I do have Apple TV and a smart LED TV so some of that is mitigated by the fact that both of those are already doing the entertainment system thing for me. I guess that's ultimately why I haven't invested in the new system. I probably won't, aside from maybe asking for it for Xmas from my parents who are always trying to get me something nice even though I've been out of the house for 3 years haha. But if I'm going to get one or ask for one in the near future, I just want to make sure it's the right one. But sounds like it's a moot point, and either way I'm getting a great product!

I do love the set-up of Apple TV, so if there is one system that has that set up I'd prefer that display. I never liked the PS3 or 360 media interface that  much. I preferred the PS3 > 360 I guess, but was never overly impressed. In the end, more friends play on the XBox interface, so if I do want to feature online gaming in the future (which would probably be what I do more of as I age), then maybe I'll lean that way this round. Would be the first time without having a primary Sony system since 1997!

Either way, thanks for the advice!

I've been thinking more about it and I think what my concern with Destiny really is about is that I kind of had the impression that it would be more like a Mass Effect/TES RPG style FPS game with seamless co-op integration where a bunch of other people are also part of the world.

I have never played a real MMO before so in that regard, I could be pretty naive in thinking how the story and missions would be structured and play out. 

Any WoW or other MMO players that could better comment on how missions are structured in those games? Again, I know it's just a beta but there is really nothing more than a mission list that drops you into an area to complete that mission and then takes you out back to a loading screen/hub once the mission is complete. It isn't really an open world to explore and I was expecting NPCs that would need help which would spur side-missions etc. 

Destiny to me felt like a Mass Effect/Halo hybrid. Not a big fan of either game. I guess for the masses that like those games it will be great, but at least for me in the beta it felt like the missions were the same and would get boring after a couple days of playing.

Thanks @Taze that was a great write-up. I guess in the end, most of my friends have had either both systems or Xbox and I remember back to my college days when all we did was play CoD or Halo and when I was home on breaks, etc. I could never link in ... and I established absolutely zero online capabilities with the PS network because any of my friends who were gaming online had the 360.

Now that I'm past the age of online gaming. At the most, I might be able to see myself linking into the system and playing Madden or PGA or FIFA with a friend ... or maybe someday some Halo online with old college buddies, but nothing more than a few hours here or there.

At the end of the day, this would mainly be an entertainment console and I'm more than fine with that. BUT ... I do have Apple TV and a smart LED TV so some of that is mitigated by the fact that both of those are already doing the entertainment system thing for me. I guess that's ultimately why I haven't invested in the new system. I probably won't, aside from maybe asking for it for Xmas from my parents who are always trying to get me something nice even though I've been out of the house for 3 years haha. But if I'm going to get one or ask for one in the near future, I just want to make sure it's the right one. But sounds like it's a moot point, and either way I'm getting a great product!

I do love the set-up of Apple TV, so if there is one system that has that set up I'd prefer that display. I never liked the PS3 or 360 media interface that  much. I preferred the PS3 > 360 I guess, but was never overly impressed. In the end, more friends play on the XBox interface, so if I do want to feature online gaming in the future (which would probably be what I do more of as I age), then maybe I'll lean that way this round. Would be the first time without having a primary Sony system since 1997!

Either way, thanks for the advice!

No problem man. I actually put a lot of research into both systems at launch and looked at as many side by side comparisons, reviews, etc.  For me it came down to online gaming, with my family/friends going PS4 along with the PS4 being $100 cheaper at launch (due to the Xbox One/Kinect package only being available).  

If your friends all went Xbox One, then I'd recommend that based on what you said.  That way you have the option to play online with them here and there.  Talk trash while doing so.  

One thing that does baffle me slightly is that the PS4 can't play 3D movies and they don't have any plans to release any firmware that would upgrade to do so (according to what I've heard).  Now the Xbox One doesn't offer 3D blu-ray player options, but you would think Sony would have included that in the PS4 as another advantage over the Xbox One.  Unless the 3D craze is over again.

Thanks for the write up Momma on Destiny.

I've been thinking more about it and I think what my concern with Destiny really is about is that I kind of had the impression that it would be more like a Mass Effect/TES RPG style FPS game with seamless co-op integration where a bunch of other people are also part of the world.

I have never played a real MMO before so in that regard, I could be pretty naive in thinking how the story and missions would be structured and play out. 

Any WoW or other MMO players that could better comment on how missions are structured in those games? Again, I know it's just a beta but there is really nothing more than a mission list that drops you into an area to complete that mission and then takes you out back to a loading screen/hub once the mission is complete. It isn't really an open world to explore and I was expecting NPCs that would need help which would spur side-missions etc. 

Wow that is a little disappointing to hear reg. the drop in and out and back to hub stuff. I was hoping it'd be more seamless like in WoW.

And yeah I too thought it'd be more like a shooter MMO. I don't like the sound of constant in and out of load screens.

That said, I'll probably still get the game.

So, Last of Us remake comes out next week. I never played the original as I didn't have PS3, so I am definitely pumped to play as I've heard nothing but how amazing the game is. I'm hoping it can last me a good month or so(I don't play hardcore, I just recently beat the Watch Dogs campaign)before Destiny comes out, and then Dragon Age 3 a month after that.

I am planning to pick up the Last of Us: Remastered as well next Tuesday. It is coming with all the DLC and a bunch of other extras. It should keep you entertained for a month.

That was one reason I switched to the PS4 was because of their exclusives like Last of Us and Uncharted. I loved Gears of War, but wasn't ever a fan of Halo and just felt like the PS had more exlusives I was into. With all that said I am very excited for Last of US.

I'm looking forward to TLOU again too. My friend bought it on PS3 when it came out and we made a weekend of it plowing through everything while laughing, crying and learning about life.

I haven't played it since the weekend it released and it's still one of my favorite games.

Thanks for the write up Momma on Destiny.

Wow that is a little disappointing to hear reg. the drop in and out and back to hub stuff. I was hoping it'd be more seamless like in WoW.

And yeah I too thought it'd be more like a shooter MMO. I don't like the sound of constant in and out of load screens.

Yeah I'm not sure what to make of it. From the central player base/tower in The Last City you select 'Go To Orbit' then it pulls up the launch screen with the map. You bring up the map and it shows where you can go and what missions are available. Once selected, a load screen where Dinklage/Ghost briefly talks about what you are doing and then you are dropped on the map. You can wander around here forever without a load screen but once the mission completes there is a countdown and then back to the map screen to pick another mission/planet etc or go back to the tower.

I'm hoping they add more cutscenes explaining the story for each mission because the intro was very intriguing and well done.

Man i hope for the sake of console players that Divinity: Original Sin somehow has a release on the next gen consoles. Hands down the best roleplaying game i have played in quite some time. Forget Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age and stuff like that, D:OS is a throw back to the pen and paper Baldur's gate type RPGs and man is it fantastic. Turn based battle allows your wizard to put an oil slick down and then next turn light it on fire to create a wall of flame. Or cast a rain spell and then an electricity spell next turn for extra damage. It's simply an amazing game. Was a kickstarter game as well. It also has online co-op where you and a friend can each create and control one of the main characters and one of the companions. Its built for co-oping so its an amazing experience. Indie games with crowd funding will save the gaming industry from the tiresome retreaded AAA mind numbing sequels.

Am I the only one that has a PS4 that takes a million to download anything?

I hardly use the ****ing thing, and whenever I fire it up there's always a ****ing system update I have to download. This is a small download too. 194 MB. Estimated download time? 80 minutes? 80 minutes! What the actual ****!

****ing ridiculous. It's as bad as Microsoft (Windows).

(And yes, I have automatic downloads turned on. Yes it's set to go into sleep mode. Apparently the ****ing thing just shuts off randomly when it's in sleep mode.)

Guess I'll play video games on my iPad. That thing doesn't take an hour and a half to update a simple file.

I hardly use the ****ing thing, and whenever I fire it up there's always a ****ing system update I have to download. This is a small download too. 194 MB. Estimated download time? 80 minutes? 80 minutes! What the actual ****!

****ing ridiculous. It's as bad as Microsoft (Windows).

(And yes, I have automatic downloads turned on. Yes it's set to go into sleep mode. Apparently the ****ing thing just shuts off randomly when it's in sleep mode.)

Guess I'll play video games on my iPad. That thing doesn't take an hour and a half to update a simple file.

Must be your internet. My downloads are pretty fast.

It's probably just his internet. Downloading full games takes a few hours on my crappy internet, but an update takes maybe 5 minutes.

Almost to level 5 on Destiny beta. Really good game. The load screens give the game a choppy, vaguely repetitive feel, but the combat is superb. Runs like a dream and the graphics are awesome. It's the presentation of Destiny that needs a lot of work, as well as a way to better organize multiplayer missions. It feels like people just run around doing their own thing 9 times out of 10.

My internet sucks too during the day. Its just it being summer more people are on the network using the main bandwidth. Was redownloading steam games at a pitiful 300 kbps yesterday during the evening but soon as it got to around 11pm my speeds climbed up to the normal 4-5 mbps. Pisses me off something fierce actually and i feel charter should shave some money off my bill for not giving me the service and speed im paying for during the summer.

Man i hope for the sake of console players that Divinity: Original Sin somehow has a release on the next gen consoles. Hands down the best roleplaying game i have played in quite some time.

Yeah I've read up on that one. I would love for it to make it's way to consoles some day. How many hours do you have in it?

Funny thing. As soon as I posted that, about 10 minutes in, it speeds up and I'm done within a minute.

It's not the first time I've had sluggish PSN downloads though.

I don't mean this as a hater since I've always had a PS but yeah I've noticed a difference in the quality of things like downloads and connections between PSN and XBL and Live definitely has an advantage.

It's all good though.

Man i hope for the sake of console players that Divinity: Original Sin somehow has a release on the next gen consoles. Hands down the best roleplaying game i have played in quite some time. Forget Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age and stuff like that, D:OS is a throw back to the pen and paper Baldur's gate type RPGs and man is it fantastic. Turn based battle allows your wizard to put an oil slick down and then next turn light it on fire to create a wall of flame. Or cast a rain spell and then an electricity spell next turn for extra damage. It's simply an amazing game. Was a kickstarter game as well. It also has online co-op where you and a friend can each create and control one of the main characters and one of the companions. Its built for co-oping so its an amazing experience. Indie games with crowd funding will save the gaming industry from the tiresome retreaded AAA mind numbing sequels.

Holy crap that game looks awesome.

This goes back to the days of PS3 for me.

It seems like a game update, add on, system update downloads very slowly or inconsistently. Every other device in my house doesn't have this issue, it's just the PS. Sometimes it's acceptable. Many times it isn't.

Divinity Original Sin simply is awesome. Easily the game of the year for me and could easily go toe to toe with the skyrims, witchers and dragon ages. Im 15 hours in and havent even scratched the surface. With pillars of eternity coming later this year ( baldurs gate devs), its going to be a good year for old school computer rpgs.

The one thing about D:OS though is the level cap is 20 so you really have to allocate your points and skills well. If you don't specialize in things and put your points all over the place it can be really punishing as you get further into the game with fights and dealing damage.

No problem man. I actually put a lot of research into both systems at launch and looked at as many side by side comparisons, reviews, etc. For me it came down to online gaming, with my family/friends going PS4 along with the PS4 being $100 cheaper at launch (due to the Xbox One/Kinect package only being available).

If your friends all went Xbox One, then I'd recommend that based on what you said. That way you have the option to play online with them here and there. Talk trash while doing so.

One thing that does baffle me slightly is that the PS4 can't play 3D movies and they don't have any plans to release any firmware that would upgrade to do so (according to what I've heard). Now the Xbox One doesn't offer 3D blu-ray player options, but you would think Sony would have included that in the PS4 as another advantage over the Xbox One. Unless the 3D craze is over again.

3D playback is coming next week in the 1.75 update.

@PlayStation 7:05 PM

Coming next week: PS4 system software update 1.75 adds 3D Blu-ray film support. Woo-hoo!

Divinity Original Sin simply is awesome. Easily the game of the year for me and could easily go toe to toe with the skyrims, witchers and dragon ages. Im 15 hours in and havent even scratched the surface. With pillars of eternity coming later this year ( baldurs gate devs), its going to be a good year for old school computer rpgs.

The one thing about D:OS though is the level cap is 20 so you really have to allocate your points and skills well. If you don't specialize in things and put your points all over the place it can be really punishing as you get further into the game with fights and dealing damage.

Loving that game so far. Barely into it but it is great, though I'm new to this Baldur's Gate style RPG. Thanks for the info on the level cap... while I love that this game does not hold your hand, there is a ton to learn. The advice to save frequently is an understatement...

I also didn't initially understand that if you want to increase a skill to rank 2, you need to have 2 skill points (or whatever they're called) available. 

My PS4 downloads incredibly fast.  My buddy who has a One said the Destiny download took him about an hour.  Took me about 25 minutes maybe.  But then again a friend with the PS4 said his download took 45 minutes as well.  Took me maybe 8-10 minutes to download DRagon's Teeth BF4 DLC, heard it took other folks 20-30 minutes.

Could internet speeds be the determining factor moreso than an "XBOX Live vs PSN" thing?  Because my PS4 download speed is amazing.

3D playback is coming next week in the 1.75 update.

@PlayStation 7:05 PM

Coming next week: PS4 system software update 1.75 adds 3D Blu-ray film support. Woo-hoo!

Awesome.  I posted in another thread about my dad taking back his PS4 because it didn't offer 3D blu-ray support and buying another PS3.  Which I thought was insane.  His PS3 died, he bought a PS4, then took it back because it wouldn't play 3d.  Then bought a new PS3.  He said he called Sony directly three times, got three different reps and they told him they had no plans to ever release 3d blu-ray support lol.

So I'm far from a regular gamer these days. I bought FIFA World Cup about 2 months ago but that's the only game I've bought since .. I think GTAV last year. 

So at the end of the day I'm at a point in my life where I rarely play videogames and probably won't play them like I did in the good old days. I've always been a Sony guy ... PS, PS2, PS3 ... but now that I'm looking purely for a home entertainment first, gaming 2nd console ... what is the consensus on XB1 v. PS4?

I have both systems and I prefer the xbox one experience. The PS4 does have slightly crisper graphics on multiplatform games but the difference is minimal in my opinion. The extra features and exclusives so far outweight the resolution issues. You also get an exclusive NFL app that is well built. I could live without the kinect but I have gotten used to it. XBox one will also offer 3D blu ray support when the august system update drops. I bought a ps4 expecting it to support 3D blu ray and I was shocked when it didnt. I traded in my PS3 so I was kind of screwed over had to buy a standalone player. I have a 60 inch samsung 3D TV and do enjoy the experience. If i was in your situation I would defininately go XBOX

Edit. I just noticed the post above. I guess MS forced sony to release a 3D blu ray patch.

Archived