Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

Haven't been plugged in long (was on the phone like 2 hrs then fell asleep), but I've been playing for about 45 minutes and.... This is something else. 

They did nearly a complete revamp. Fighting, running, assassinating (seems as if you have more freedom in how you want to approach each kill), missions (now quests), gear, navigation.... Everything has been overhauled.

Feels similar to Witcher 3, but more splendor. Every movement is smooth and refined, and the village feels more vibrant and authentic. They also added a scaled difficulty setting (FINALLY), so the fights are challenging, and you have to pick them wisely (I destroyed a statue of Ptolemy, and was immediately jumped by 3 dudes on horseback, firing arrows and hacking at me).

I also used the new Eagle vision, (technically its Falcon vision :ols: ) and it's pretty fun. Didn't do anything special, just randomly tracked a guard, harassing the local rebels on a chariot, and tracked him down.

Pretty damn fun, all in all. Got my first look at one of the treasure vaults, and, like I had hoped, it was incredible. Lots of detail with the heiroglyphs, statues, and the treasure itself. Really immersive environment. This is easily the best looking Assassin's Creed yet.

I have done practically zilch so far, but for right now, the only negative thing I can really say, is that the music is not up to par with what I was hoping. I've always felt that for certain games, the score always has a pivotal role in setting the stage, but it's a trivial thing, and it could easily change, the further I progress. 

This is my first impression btw. I'll come back as I do a little hunting and crafting, and get into the story, where the Animus/Modern day plots are revealed.

19 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

How is the combat? 

Better then the first one. You actually have to move around a tiled battlefield(think Final Fantasy Tactics style)and use strategy. I played on the hardest difficulty and while it wasn't super hard, you definitely couldn't just faceroll through it.

Short game though, only ~20 hours or so.

35 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Better then the first one. You actually have to move around a tiled battlefield(think Final Fantasy Tactics style)and use strategy. I played on the hardest difficulty and while it wasn't super hard, you definitely couldn't just faceroll through it.

Short game though, only ~20 hours or so.

how long are the battles usually? Seems time consuming  

Got in some more gameplay. Figured I'd post a little vid that shows how the new Eagle vision works, as well as the layout of the village/desert (the map is massive), and a mission (spoiler stuff left out).

Don't have the hidden blade or many ranged weapons yet, and am still feeling out the controls, but just wanted to show some of the combat, too.

Yeah everything is more fluid. Running, free running, jumping, climbing, sneaking, even walking feels more natural.

The world is more vibrant, and alive. Animals have returned, and depending on where you are, you can get enveloped by them. Flocks of birds, wild dogs, grazing animals, predators, etc. Pretty crazy. 

Truly feels like you're there, especially when it comes to the tombs and vaults, smashing into hidden chambers, walking through pitch black areas with the really life-like torchlight illuminating the hieroglyphs, and treasure, and knocking down webs. The lighting is spectacular in this

They also have pretty cool constellation puzzles, when the game shifts to night, and the nocturnal animals come out. It's also easier to attack encampments, where you can take advantage of the time, and kill guards in their sleep.

Even though the town I'm currently in (Siwa) is a backwater, its still pretty active, with merchants lining the streets, guards fighting rebels, and public examples being made of dissenters.

Also, as big as that overhead shot looked, thats 1 of about 15-20 big separate quadrants, made up of places like Alexandria (where the story arc takes me next), Giza, the Black desert, and im sure the Valley of the Kings. 

Pretty crazy (just looked again, it's over 25).

That video was sweet. The graphics and detail are pretty breathtaking. Also loved the variety of opponents. I mean as great as Black Flag was, it was pretty the same opponents (ie a common foot soldier or, occasionally, an officer) that you faced every single time. This game seems to offer a much greater variety.

Yep. There's different classes of NPC's, all with varying weapons, strength and speed. It can be a real pain in the ass when surrounded, with two guys  attacking from range, one armored cat that knocks you off balance every time with big power shots, and a quicker one carrying a spear. The cpu seems to mix it up a lot. Sometimes it can be as many as 4 or 5 guys on horseback firing at you. Just have to spam dodge and wait for w mistake

On 10/27/2017 at 3:02 PM, PokerPacker said:

Why are you guys talking about Assassin's Creed when you could be talking about Mario Odyssey which came out today?

Yeah, I came in here expecting a couple pages of discussion on Odyssey.

Odyssey is fantastic btw, its sense of exploration and legitimate surprise destroys the sandbox competition. 

Yeah, I gotta say, the idea of a Switch seems pretty cool to me now.  I don’t get much gaming time these days and if I could just sit in bed with a handheld and game with some headphones in then it would be pretty cool.

Its been our long enough now, is the preferential method of playing a Switch as a handheld or as a regular console?

For me the preferred method is handheld, but it's worth it to plug it into the TV to see the graphics they've cooked up. Not completely top of the line obviously, but Link and Mario have never looked better. 

There's this NYC-inspired world in Odyssey and when you first start playing it, there's all this rain pouring down and it's just gorgeous. 

48 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Yeah, I gotta say, the idea of a Switch seems pretty cool to me now.  I don’t get much gaming time these days and if I could just sit in bed with a handheld and game with some headphones in then it would be pretty cool.

Its been our long enough now, is the preferential method of playing a Switch as a handheld or as a regular console?

It really depends on the person.  Some people always play in handheld mode, some always play on a TV.  Me, I make full use of its capabilities.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I don’t have a switch yet so odyssey has been put on the back pages. 

It it is great to see Nintendo release two instant classics within the span of a year tho. Can’t wait to get my hands on that and Breath of the Wild

Time to get a Switch, then.  I understand they are obtainable now (don't know if that will last with Christmas around the corner).

Looks like I was wrong about the bland Initiate stuff. That vid posted was part of the opening sequence, and I just popped out of the Animus. 

Looks like you are an actual character again, working in tandem as part of some research team. It appears that you also have a considerable amount of freedom in this world, judging by the pause menu layout, as well as several dossiers and recordings.

Im typically psychotic about spoilers, so I won't say much more, other than this character appears to be suffering from the Bleeding Effect (early stages, not exactly full blown Subject 16, yet). Looks promising.

*Also had an epic synchronicity moment, climbing a huge rocky cliff, and getting a great view of all of Siwa.

8 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Are we still jumping into conveniently placed haystacks afterwards? 

Yes and no. They're still in the game (though they don't seem as noticeable/abundant) but so far there hasn't been a haystack at the viewpoints. Way too high up. On one i may have jumped in a lake.

4 hours ago, codeorama said:

Assassins Creed Origins is really good IMO.  Loving it so far.

You have an Exodus moment, yet? :ols:

Boy, this game is a sneaky little bastich. There is sooo much going on. If one isn't at least a little knowledgeable about Egypts history they might not even pick up on it.

Been experimenting with the lance weapon. Works well on enemies that can one or two hit kill you due to ability levels, fighting at range. Had an epic fight with a handful of them that were stealing mummies and ransoming them to their relatives. Fought them at a temple, and ended up getting caught up in a massive sandstorm. 

Then I go under the temple to get some treasure, and it's a cobra  trap :ols:

Awesome

48 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

You have an Exodus moment, yet? :ols:

Boy, this game is a sneaky little bastich. There is sooo much going on. If one isn't at least a little knowledgeable about Egypts history they might not even pick up on it.

Been experimenting with the lance weapon. Works well on enemies that can one or two hit kill you due to ability levels, fighting at range. Had an epic fight with a handful of them that were stealing mummies and ransoming them to their relatives. Fought them at a temple, and ended up getting caught up in a massive sandstorm. 

Then I go under the temple to get some treasure, and it's a cobra  trap :ols:

Awesome

I actually teach world history so I'm going to use this clips to teach in class.  Such an amazing game.  Love it so much...

On 10/29/2017 at 5:28 AM, Bacon said:

Yeah, I came in here expecting a couple pages of discussion on Odyssey.

Odyssey is fantastic btw, its sense of exploration and legitimate surprise destroys the sandbox competition. 

This is a PS4 vs XB1 thread, nothing to do with Switch games. 

Anyone play Wolfenstein 2 yet? The buzz is extremely good. 

Archived