Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

It's been mentioned before..but unlike Sony, Microsoft is hiding the majority (if not all) of their apps behind a paywall. Say you subscribe to Netflix or Hulu and want to use it via your Xbox One. Well, assuming your yearly Live membership hasn't expired, you're good. But if your Live membership has expired or you don't have one - you're out of luck. You'll need another device to run Netflix/Hulu on.

On the PS4, you don't have to pay for their yearly service to access and use the Netflix/Hulu apps. 

Is this something they are changing for the XB1? Right now all you need is the free Live account to use Netflix/Hulu.

Are you talking about unit sales or actual performance of the machines? The PR fiasco that xbox one initially had may hurt sales but I think the performance and experience of the xbox one will be as good as or better than the ps4. I don't think the PR nightmare affected this aspect of the xbox one

I just meant in generaly. Seeing sales, reaction of public, performance, etc.

Your reading that right and on top of that to play online for either system then you have to pay that 5.00 a month anyway so it really doesn't matter. Xbox Live is awesome service that's proven reliable and secure and just plan better in feature set than the competition.

For those that plan to get COD Ghosts for the next gen systems, there is a big difference in the two versions...Apparently, Xbox On will run natively on 720p while PS4 will be 1080P

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/10/31/call-of-duty-ghosts-runs-native-720p-on-xbox-one-1080p-on-ps4/

Not that big of a deal, but I do find it interesting that one of the first games to release on this system will not be leveraging it's full capailities.  I would really like to know the real reason why Microsoft is doing this.

For those that plan to get COD Ghosts for the next gen systems, there is a big difference in the two versions...Apparently, Xbox On will run natively on 720p while PS4 will be 1080P

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/10/31/call-of-duty-ghosts-runs-native-720p-on-xbox-one-1080p-on-ps4/

Not that big of a deal, but I do find it interesting that one of the first games to release on this system will not be leveraging it's full capailities.  I would really like to know the real reason why Microsoft is doing this.

A weak GPU coupled with 32mb ESRAM.  It's creating a bottleneck that is going to be very difficult to work around.  

http://killzone.dl.playstation.net/killzone/kzsf_multiplayer/KZSF_HIGHTBITRATE_H264.zip

Killzone Shadow Fall - Ultra High Bitrate MP Footage

In order to properly demonstrate the framerate and resolution we achieve in Shadow Fall’s multiplayer, we’ve captured and lightly compressed new footage that we’re not offering through a video sharing service. Instead, we ask that you download and locally view the high-resolution, uncompressed footage directly from us.

Please use a video player with hardware acceleration when viewing the footage. We recommend Windows Media Player for Windows users and QuickTime Player for Mac users. Do not use a non-accelerated player (such as VLC Media Player) because the framerate and resolution of this movie are simply too high and will very likely cause choppy playback.

File Size: 541MB

A weak GPU coupled with 32mb ESRAM.  It's creating a bottleneck that is going to be very difficult to work around.

The ESRAM makes things faster, not slower. The way memory hierarchy works is that you have the most of the faster but slower memory. On a typical system, you'll see it go from Registers(lightning fast, no delay) to cache (and even in there, there's multiple levels of cache) to main memory (like the XBone's DDR3), and then to the disk. Each successive layer is orders of magnitude slower than the previous. What Microsoft did is add another layer to the memory hierarchy between the on-board cache and the main memory that is faster than the main memory, but in much higher quantity than the cache, the point of which is that creates fewer situations you'll have to access main memory and thus the delay associated with it.

The ESRAM makes things faster, not slower. The way memory hierarchy works is that you have the most of the faster but slower memory. On a typical system, you'll see it go from Registers(lightning fast, no delay) to cache (and even in there, there's multiple levels of cache) to main memory (like the XBone's DDR3), and then to the disk. Each successive layer is orders of magnitude slower than the previous. What Microsoft did is add another layer to the memory hierarchy between the on-board cache and the main memory that is faster than the main memory, but in much higher quantity than the cache, the point of which is that creates fewer situations you'll have to access main memory and thus the delay associated with it.

I agree, the speed of the embedded memory isn't the problem. It's the size. Well, that's one of the problems. The biggest issue is the GPU itself.

I agree, the speed of the embedded memory isn't the problem. It's the size. Well, that's one of the problems. The biggest issue is the GPU itself.

The size isn't a problem, either. The XBone has 32MB ESRAM while the PS4 has 0. That 32MB is orders of magnitude greater than the cache, so a very significant amount of cache misses will hit this memory without having to stall even greater to go out to main memory. The number may look small, but it's that size because it's expensive, which is pretty much the whole reason the memory hierarchy is the way it is; maximize the return on investment.

The size isn't a problem, either. The XBone has 32MB ESRAM while the PS4 has 0. That 32MB is orders of magnitude greater than the cache, so a very significant amount of cache misses will hit this memory without having to stall even greater to go out to main memory. The number may look small, but it's that size because it's expensive, which is pretty much the whole reason the memory hierarchy is the way it is; maximize the return on investment.

The way I understand it is even with tiling it's not enough for greater resolutions without severe performance issues when you add in deferred rendering and AA on top of having to be flushed manually. There was talk from IW that they were able to get CoD to 1080p native but only at 15fps.

Looking for a recommendation on which system to get. I am going to wait a couple months for any huge issues but am not tied to either system. I previously had a PS3 for about 6 years. Great system.

I don't game that much usually NHL and then will pickup COD or one other game a year. I don't do too much online play. Our PS3 is my only blu-ray player, netflix streamer etc. 

The kinect intrigues me because it might be fun for parties etc. PS I have had good results with in the past but but online is no longer free. For someone that is a casual gamer and just wants an easy platform for media and gaming what would you suggest? 

My knowledge on both systems is limited. Thanks!

Looking for a recommendation on which system to get.

Because you're in no hurry, my simplest advice would be wait until you want to purchase a system, and see which one has games that appeal to you more. If there's no difference there, then I would consider how much you plan to play online. If you definitely want to play games online, then you'll have to pay for either system, so no difference there either.

If you won't be playing games online, you might consider PS4 as you can use it for Netflix without paying any extra charges (although if you still have your PS3 this probably isn't necessary either).

I'm a big Sony guy, but honestly I don't think you'll be too disappointed in either system.

Hi folks..  was hoping to find an already started topic on xbox one and ps4.    I've already got my mind wrapped around the xbox pretty much because i've been loyal to them since the nice xbox original came out.  But this has got me pulling my hair our trying to wrap my mind around the release.

I looked on best buy and it says it's 499.99 or so..  Ok so since my wife won't allow us to use "our" house money i've resorted to selling things on ebay and right now i'm at 450.00 so everything will be cool.     

I checked with estartland today and if you have a good copy of madden 25 (360) they will give you $30.   I'm thinking about going up thre in a few days and selling mine and maybe baseball.  That way I can buy one or two game day releases (I really want the madden 24 one version.

But have you heard any reason why we will need our 360 machines one this is released?  Do they link up for any reasons? Otherwise i'm just gonna sell it to them as well for $40'ish.. I'm excited about this new release but just haven't done enough homework on it.

I know that you had to pre order them at stores but apparently all those pre orders are filled but that some stores will have a select number of extras on hand.  So i'm hoping to go up a few hours early and stand in line I guess.

Sorry this is rambing, after my surgery my doctor is having me take 5 xanax + 1 1/2 ambien just to fall asleep, but all it does it make me stoned. 

So i'm just wondering if A. do I need to keep the 360

B.  do you guys know of any local stores that might have extra game consoles for those of us who didn't pre order?

Later

Went and paid off the pre-order on the Xbox One yesterday. I got a little excited because the girl at the counter was confused and almost had a guy go to the back to get my system, until another lady told her that it wasn't being released for "another week or so". Just gotta sit back and wait I suppose.

Damn dude that would have been sweet!I can't wait to say XBOX ON! have the thing come on instantly XBOX Watch TV, XBOX SKYPE, XBOX PLAY NBA2k14, XBOX SNAP FANTASY FOOTBALL.

I still haven't figured out what 2 games I am getting I know NBA2k for sure then its either FORZA, RYSE, DR3, or BATTLEFIELD. I am getting Killer Instint cause its free and will buy Orchid and Thunder.

I am all in folks so excited only 9 days to go

The-Office.gif

How did I forget I am hype about starting INSTANITY, OR P90X free with the XBOX One with Kinect tracking and feedback. Kinect is so going to get me in shape! I am only 140 pounds soak n wet with 2 bricks in my pocket but I am a straight couch potato with XBOX fitness I will be inshape. So people I a drinking the xbox one koolaid and damn it taste good.

I have $1,000 to spend, nothing preordered and am still trying to decide what to do. The 2for1 PS4 games at Target is pretty enticing because I could get Killzone, BF4, COD, Madden, AC4 and tossup between either Fifa or NBA and a PS4 for $640ish. This would leave me about $300 after taxes to save for later releases or put towards a One.

If I am picking systems I would prefer Xbox One though because of the Kinect features, integrated DirecTV, etc plus I am more excited for DR3 and Ryse than I am for Killzone4. The Xbox One demo video they showed a while ago with Skype and instant switching etc is a gamechanger. I mean that system looks really revolutionary. But they don't have the 2 for one games deal so just an Xbox One and 2 games would put me at $620plus taxes. 

I guess the best thing to do is go PS4 to get my next gen fix and then probably grab the One a little later this winter and pick up DR, Ryse and some other exclusives that are out then. Once i have it, that'll probably be my go to for multiplatform games, same as 360 was. 

http://www.popsci.com/article/gadgets/playstation-4-review-lot-same

Playstation 4 Review: A lot of the same

Should You Buy This?

Unless you are desperately jonesing to play a game like the new Killzone, then no, or, at least, you should wait as long as you can. This doesn't feel like a step forward; it feels like a step sideways. A nearly identical interface, a slew of sequels, and a design that's not all there. (I was more fond of the Wii U, which turned out to be a complete commercial disaster, because it at least felt like somethingdifferent.)

At some point, if you're regular gamer, you'll probably have to bite the bullet. A game will come out that you'll have to play, and you'll buy the console to play it. But remember: you'll be doing it for the game, not the console.

I had the same issue with my PS3. The interface was so outdated, that I didn't even bother using the machine over the last 3 years. I recently gifted it to my girlfriends cousin as a birthday gift.

My 360 on the other hand had a major transformation for the six years I owned and was a great all around system for entertainment and gaming.

I find it unlikely that Sony will again be able to keep up with Microsoft in terms of delivering new updates etc.

My fears from the begining that quickly ending my thought of jumping ship to Sony for next Gen. I don't want the same ****, I want new experiences the only really new feature is the second screen play with a PSP but I don't have one of those, portabe gaming seems kiddy to me other than mobile gaming its a dying industry and smart phones clearly have that spot won. 

The UI a lot of the same from the PS3 and my Bluray player, The UI has a few new features like play as you download and twitch streaming and sharing but thats on the XBOX ONE as well. The games look weak Kill Zone is cool for most but I never was a fan of it and the rest of the games is last gen ports or Knack which is not doing well in reviews right now.

XBOX ONE has as full set of games releasing with the console Dead Rising, RYSE, Forza 5, and Killer Instint to go along with the last gen ports, now all of them can end up sucking which like most console releases games are pretty much rushed. But it seems the XBOX ONE has me in mind a older gamer "31" that wants something different and want something new. Do i want to play some awesome looking games HELL YES but I also want to be able to watch my TV and interact with my xbox at the same time, I want to be able to be to play 2k14 and be on a skype chat with my brother at the sametime on the same screen. I want to be able to walk in my room say XBOX ON and it cut all my devices on.

Theres no denying the PS4 power its better than the XBOX ONE in most hardware specs but power isn't everything.

Good post SiCkSoULjA and I agree. For me, I don't play many video games anymore, I just don't have the time. So I want something that I can really get my money's worth out of. I think for me, that will be the Xbox One. Sure it's $100 more, but it's something my wife would play with me. We have a 360 now, just for Kinect because she wanted to play Kinect games. Would be a much easier sell for me to get a One than a PS4.

Also, having a daugther leans me towards a One too. She's only 16 months now, but in the next few years she'll probably want to start playing video games. Being able to use Kinect would be pretty cool and a way to keep her active while she plays. Sure PS4 will have PS Move, but it's not the same as Kinect.

I just think the One has more featues for a family than the PS4 does. Not that the PS4 is a bad system, but it's mainly for the hardcore gamers that want nothing to do but play the games. For me, I'm looking for something that the whole family will be able to enjoy and get use of. 

Archived