Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Si: Audio: Former Redskins Player Dexter Manley Calls Troy Aikman A Gay Slur

RichmondRedskin88

6th grade, so like '92, '93?  I'm at the Worldgate gym in Herndon with my mom.  She's off on a treadmill somewhere, I'm shooting some hoops.

In walks this giant African American guy with a kid about my age.  The guy is MASSIVE. Huge.  Big friendly smile.  His kid starts shooting on a basket near me, we strike up a conversation and start a game of horse.  The big guy is playing a game of pickup with some other guys that were there.  Pretty soon a few more people come in and the big guy called me over to make the teams even.  I was tall for my age, always the tallest in my class so it wasn't completely out of the realm of possibilities.  Probably 5'9 at the time.

Game starts and the big dude is kicking ass all over the place, he's a one man wrecking crew.  There's no one else on the floor that can keep up with him.  He's got more energy than anyone, he's all over the place.  Smiling, laughing, the whole time.  He never stopped smiling from the time he hit the court.  Calling plays, pointing to guys after assists.  Killing it in the low post, getting rebounds left and right.  His shirt is completely soaked through with sweat but he's not stopping anytime soon.

After a couple games or so, I see my mom standing next to the court and she calls me over and goes "Do you know who that is??"  

"Who?"

"That big black guy."

"No, who is that?"

"That's Dexter Manley."

She said it with an air of awe and respect, I'll never forget how she said it.  I mean, my MOM knew who he was.  I turned around, looked over at him, he was smiling, laughing, talking to the guys that he was playing ball with.  

I definitely knew who he was, I didn't remember seeing him play but if you were a Redskins fan in the late 80's early 90's and were aware of all the off the field issues, you had to know who he was.  In my 6th grade mind, I just remember looking at him wondering how someone that nice and fun could have been wrapped up in drugs and how he threw away his NFL career.  The whole illiteracy thing, too.  Didn't understand it, couldn't really comprehend it.  Sometimes, I still can't.  

I knew 2 brothers who graduated from McLean high back in the 70's  one could not read a lick except his name and the other was functionally illiterate. I took one to get his drivers license and he took a test with all photos. Neither wore athletes and they were just swept under the rug and put in special ED and passed on to the next grade. Neither were mentally slow they just could not read. They said kids always called them dumb so they learned how to fight and worked out with weights and people stopped calling them dumb out of fear

They both found a good woman who stood behind them and got them in night school and learned to read. It is my understanding Dexter got the same kind of good woman standing behind him now

I don't know why he's an embarrassment..   is he part of your family?

How awful. Dexter called Troy a name. Mind you, the only reason we even know who Dexter is is because of his ability to physically hurt a quarterback.

We're so funny as a society. The other night i was watching the destruction of Penn State by Ohio state, and a play got near the sidelines and you should hear the words they're using. N this, B that, F this, gay slur that.

Oh, quick! Shut off the mic! Can't have people hearing how these athletes actually TALK to each other on the field. (Or how we talk to each other every day in our everyday normal non-famous lives.)

But if one of them is goofing around having fun on the radio and calls another one a name, oh, he's just an awful person.

For the life of me I really don't understand why people feel the need to pretend we are more than we are, and that these players are more than they are.

We watch them beat each other senseless and cheer. We watch them cripple themselves and we love them for it. They play a game of controlled violence for our amusement.

But call someone a name loud enough for anyone to hear? 

Then they're embarrassing.

It's to laugh.

~Bang

We watch them beat each other senseless and cheer. We watch them cripple themselves and we love them for it. They play a game of controlled violence for our amusement.

I once read a comment attributed to Dick Butkus, wistfully reminiscing about his playing days.

"What I miss most, is the violence."

But call someone a name loud enough for anyone to hear? 

Then they're embarrassing.

"We train children to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write **** on their airplane, because it's obscene"

Col Kurtz - Apocalypse Now.

I don't know a lot of people on a personal level...but I can still have an opinion of them.  Never realized it's a prerequisite to only have an opinion of someone if they are A) in your family, or B) someone you know personally. 

What he says on the field/locker room is one thing...what he says out loud for the public to hear is another.  It's not that hard to see the difference between the two.  Well, maybe it is for some people. 

Well, i wasn't specifically calling on you Ron, sorry it seemed like i was jumping on you...   it's just a prevailing attitude these days among so many folks around the game of football.

They broadcast these games to the smallest portion of their audience..   the announcer is afraid to say a word like "hell".. leading them sounding like a total dumbass stumbling over phrases like "Heck or high water".

There's a line in a good old movie "A Fish called Wanda" in which John Cleese tries to explain to the american girl what it's like to be British, and that you must walk around in perpetual paralyzing terror of saying something slightly embarrassing.

This is the surrounding aura of football, and it's ridiculous.

They're terrified of the one little old lady who watches television just so she can find something offensive and complain.

A tackle happens, and you hear clear as a bell "F u N! I will F your ass up, B!", etc etc etc.
And then the announcer has to come on and

A/ apologize .. which is idiotic in the first place. Who doesn't know this is how it goes in the game? Why put mics there if you're going to feign embarrassment for what they pick up?

B/ use words like "fanny" to describe what happened.("Well, Smith really threw Jones down on his fanny, and then they had some words afterwards.")

I love it when people say "But there's kids watching!" when 9 times out of ten the kid's dad is saying plenty of choice words at the TV himself.

i don't care what Dexter said. i know what he meant, and if he truly believes Troy is gay, so what? 

It's football. Rough, mean, and hard.

And that's part of the charm. If some of the rough edges leak out around the seams, so what.

~Bang

Lol Manley is that dude.  That was funny as hell.

People who get offended over the word, "queer," are the same people that get offended over the word, "Redskins."

Not justifying its use, just saying that it is pretty much a non-issue.  Who cares?

Ummm... some Native Americans and some gay people?

Archived