Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Si: Audio: Former Redskins Player Dexter Manley Calls Troy Aikman A Gay Slur

RichmondRedskin88

Well then

http://tracking.si.com/2013/10/28/dexter-manley-troy-aikman-gay-slur/?sct=hp_t2_a12&eref=sihp

Former Redskins defensive end Dexter Manley called Fox NFL analyst and Pro Football Hall of Famer Troy Aikman a gay slur Monday during his weekly Washington-area radio appearance.

Manley was providing  ”analysis” of the Redskins’ loss to the Broncos on Sunday, a game Aikman called for Fox, during his segment on WTOP radio.

When asked by a host if Aikman’s presence was bad luck for the Redskins, Manley said that he thought Aikman was a “queer.” The WTOP hosts immediately insisted that Manley apologize on the air, which he did reluctantly after initially declining.

Here’s a link to the audio from AwfulAnnouncing.com with Manley’s comment occurring at the 3:20 mark: (Warning: It contains vulgar language)

Have any Gay organizations responded objecting to being vilified by the association to Aikman?

Dexter always used to say controversial things...   From the time he said he would ring Joe Montana's bell when he was recovering from back surgury,  to when he spit on that 49er OT causing him to jump offsides and loose the divisional playoffs....

As I remember Dexter had a daughter named Dallaas or something and also is from Texas himself.

lol..  we will be making lots of fun of this on the podcast this week.

A running gag on the show is listeners writing in with their 'proof' that troy is gay..  clandestine meetings, etc.. some are pretty funny.

Dexter had a few other things to say in there we'll be goofing on..  like how games like Sunday's cause him to beat his wife and kick his dog..

~Bang

In fairness, Manley's story really is sad.  When it became public that he couldn't read, that really should have made a huge impact on the corrupt nature of college football programs.

I always thought he would make a very good subject for one of those A Football Life type documentaries.

Wwwhhhaaattt? He spit on someone, then jumped offsides and lost the game for us? Or did the OT jump offsides and we won? Need this story clarified, sounds like a huge deal and I've never heard it.

http://articles.dailypress.com/1989-09-01/sports/8908310349_1_markus-koch-dexter-manley-spit

Manley's Saliva Remains With Saints' Dombrowski
September 01, 1989|By WARNER HESSLER Staff Writer

NEW ORLEANS — Dexter Manley's best moment during the 1988 season came in the fifth week when the Washington Redskins' defensive end sacked New York Giants' quarterback Phil Simms four times.

His second biggest moment came five weeks later when he spit on New Orleans Saints offensive tackle Jim Dombrowski and drew a possible game-saving penalty in a 27-24 win.

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

Manley and Dombrowski, a former No. 1 draft pick from Virginia, will be within spitting distance of each other a lot tonight when the Saints and Redskins meet in the Superdome in the final game of the exhibition season.

But neither player expects last year's incident to take precedence over the jobs they have to do.

"Manley spit on me and I lost my poise," said Dombrowski. "I won't do that again. I'll be watching him and be alert for anything he might do, but there are other ways to get back at him."

I love Dexter Manley. He's certainly not the sharpest knife in the box so to some degree I can overlook the gay slur. It's not right but that's just Dexter being Dexter. However I always thought the spitting incident was just low class, beneath him and the franchise.

Archived