Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Post-Shanahan Era...

TradeTheBeal!

Dawg. I'm beginning to wonder if Kyle is just being a selfish jackass and trying to convince the rest of the NFL that he is an offensive genius. In other words he's auditioning for that big gig. Fail.

If Kyle is responsible or did what you mentioned. He needs to be fired. First of all thats not a team approach "me me me". Secondly not only was it a fail. It was an EPIC Fail of astronomical propursions(sp).

I really want to know exactly who is making the offensive game plan, and in game adjustments. If it is all Kyle then Kyle should be releaved of those duties. If Mike has some kind of input at certain levels of game planning and made yesterdays adjustments then he should check himself. Because that in game adjustment was self defeating on so many levels.

I pray that this game will be a wake up call. So they can get their **** together. If not they need to exit the building. I never thought I would I think that about Mike Shanny. I know for a fact I could have called a better game than that.

Burn it down and start over after losing to probably the best team in the league? A week ago people were praising Shanahan. This thread is what has been wrong with the Redskins for the last 20 years. This has been the thought process behind every roster move, every coaching move: overreactionary impatience. Go for the quick fix.

Which coach were we impatient with exactly??

The issue has always been finding the right coach

And the Marvin Lewis thing is a huge reach. Fans have wanted him fired for years and all he has to show is zero playoff wins. He is basically Norv Turner. 

If Mike Shanahan was here for 10 years, got to the playoffs four times, and never won anything. That would satisfy you?

Pure overreaction, when will some of you learn? The grass isn't always greener on the other side. We couldn't wait to get rid of Danny Smith and his replacement has been worse, who exactly do you want to replace this coaching staff? I would love to hear some suggestions, just don't be heart broken if we get a new coaching staff and we take steps back. lol

Pure overreaction, when will some of you learn? The grass isn't always greener on the other side. We couldn't wait to get read of Danny Smith and his replacement has been worse, who exactly do you want to replace this coaching staff? I would love to hear some suggestions, just don't be heart broken if we get a new coaching staff and we take steps back. lol

...what would you call 2013?

Which coach were we impatient with exactly??

The issue has always been finding the right coach

And the Marvin Lewis thing is a huge reach. Fans have wanted him fired for years and all he has to show is zero playoff wins. He is basically Norv Turner. 

If Mike Shanahan was here for 10 years, got to the playoffs four times, and never won anything. That would satisfy you?

Schottenheimer. We would not be in this position if we had stuck with him.

Marvin Lewis has the historically inept Bengals on the cusp of the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 years--my point is, he's a great coach--he didn't have squat for a talent for years. Now he does and he is a very good team. This is an organization that last had a back-to-back winning season in 1982. Considering we've only made the playoffs 4 times in 20 years...that's actually an improvement...

Here is another instance of patience paying off (at least so far): Jim Schwartz. Maybe I am higher on Detroit than others, but I think that's a damned good team.

Schottenheimer. We would not be in this position if we had stuck with him.

Marvin Lewis has the historically inept Bengals on the cusp of the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 years--my point is, he's a great coach--he didn't have squat for a talent for years. Now he does and he is a very good team. This is an organization that last had a back-to-back winning season in 1982. Considering we've only made the playoffs 4 times in 20 years...that's actually an improvement...

Marty. Ok. One mistake. 12 years ago. Nothing from that season has any bearing on 2010-2013. That's no reason to start hoarding coaches.

And I'm nitpicking but Lewis had Carson Palmer, Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmanzadeh, and decent talent on defense. 

I'm angry.  I'm sick of the unpreparedness of this team.

I'm sick of the losing.  I'm just sick.

But the man has a contract to coach for 5 years.  I'm giving him his 5 years - then if nothing changes he's gone and take the lot he brought in with him.  I'll fly in and help him pack his bags.

Marty. Ok. One mistake. 12 years ago. Nothing from that season has any bearing on 2010-2013. That's no reason to start hoarding coaches.

And I'm nitpicking but Lewis had Carson Palmer, Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmanzadeh, and decent talent on defense. 

BUT...All of the coaching moves: Spurrier and Gibbs had the quick fix motive behind it. It was so bad at one point no one wanted to coach this team--we had to settle for Zorn. We need changes--just not a total blow up.

...what would you call 2013?

It's YOUR fault for having such unrealistic goals. Our team is not as talented as you think and our star player is coming from an ACL injury and has a bulky brace on that is so uncomfortable he takes off during warm ups because he hates it. It's making all his passes sputter and he's just not looking like himself we have trash at RT and trash in the secondary and we have the toughest schedule in the NFCeast but you thought we were going to be dominant? 

Have some perspective, YOU are the reason for your meltdown, because you simply were not realistic. People who haven't had an overreaction to our 2-5 start are posters who expected us to struggle this year. People who have had an ultimate meltdown were wearing rose colored glasses all off season, thinking we were going to dominate which is unrealistic given that RGIII was in a rehab office trying to learn how to walk again during the off season while other QB's were with their team working on plays. 

What did he say man, save for being misinterpreted as SHF pointed out? That's what was heavily reported at the time.

So what did he say if he 'didn't actually say that at all.'

Not doubting you, just curious.

Hail.

No problem. It's a pet peeve of mine, in part because outside of Football I'm big into politics and the way it was reported was straight out of the dirty political reporting playbook. Which is one of those things that bugs me, but I can see why you were unde the impression he stated what you said for the reasons you said becuase of how it was presented. You suggested: 

Just like at the Welcome Home Luncheon this year he declared 'anything less than a Lombardi will be failure after last year.;

Here's what he actually said:

“You’re with a football team that has won Super Bowls,” he said. “People are in the Hall of Fame — players as well as coaches. And you know that they have set the standard for this organization. Anything short of the Super Bowl is a failure, and that’s good. That’s good. Because there’s only one team that’s happy at the end of the year.”

Leave it to Dan Steinberg to correct the media template that was rolled out.

Shanahan's statement had nothing to do with last year. His statement was regarding this team's history. Multiple Super bowls. Multiple Hall of Famers. That THOSE people set a standard that for this organization, anything short of a super bowl is failure. I would've loved for last years team to be worthy of being considered in that statement (because it would've meant they went on to win the superbowl), but it's not.

And frankly, I don't think what he said is outlandish and it's a mentality this fanbase has shown for some time as well.

The problem is, the media twisted and flat out manipulated it horribly to make it appear inaccurately. Such as First Take flat out taking parts from two seperate paragraphs and merging them into one complete statement:

shanahanfirsttake813a.jpg

I'd highly suggest everyone to read the Dan Stienberg blog on this, not just to correct their own misconceptions but also to see why taking the media (especially the national media) as gospel is a bad idea.

I don't blame you for not being aware of how horriblely inaccurate the reporting was on it, but felt it did need to be pointed out. There's a lot of legitimate reasons to criticize Shanahan that one doesn't need to utilize something that was nothing but a reasonable statement turned into a controversy by pure media dishonesty.

It's YOUR fault for having such unrealistic goals. Our team is not as talented as you think and our star player is coming from an ACL injury and has a bulky brace on that is so uncomfortable he takes off during warm ups because he hates it. It's making all his passes sputter and he's just not looking like himself we have trash at RT and trash in the secondary and we have the toughest schedule in the NFCeast but you thought we were going to be dominant? 

Have some perspective, YOU are the reason for your meltdown, because you simply were not realistic. People who haven't had an overreaction to our 2-5 start are posters who expected us to struggle this year. People who have had an ultimate meltdown were wearing rose colored glasses all off season, thinking we were going to dominate which is unrealistic given that RGIII was in a rehab office trying to learn how to walk again during the off season while other QB's were with their team working on plays. 

So you're assuming that I'm basing this all off of 2013 (when my preseason prediction was about 9 wins..but that's neither here nor there) and not Shanahan's Skins career as a whole...even though I've been saying that throughout the thread. Yep...

We have a untalented team, correct? Whose fault is that?

Read a bit more kind sir

Our safeties are subpar but there's nothing wrong with our CB's when they're allowed to play to their strengths. You can add another 1000 pages to the excuse book which is already very thick, but it won't change the fact that the team is underachieving.

Thanks for the ratification on that ZR man.

That was taken quite out of context. That said, I would still of preferred him to of phrased it better. Something along the lines of 'Given out history, our ultimate aspiration should be the SB each year and we believe we're building a team to that end' rather than a definitive 'anything short of a SB is failure' given that history.

Hail.

John Mara! :)

Hiring a two time SB champ coach with a name isn't the same as Gibbs? 

Yes. Because we were still going for the quick fix. Snyder and Cerrato were still involved in the player personnel game. For Gibbs--it was old hat: He worked with Bethard and Cooke on player personnel moves. But he did not realize how inept those two were.

I still want to give Shanahan and Allen a full offseason with no restraints. If they suck next year too, then we should move on.

Ah. Security blanket. 

Just give him another five year contract I guess. But seriously, we aren't going to change each other's minds. Just going in circles

No but I will say one more thing: Those cap penalties are killing us. Killing us. This is an entirely different team without those. Anyone that wants to argue differently just wants to be negative.

John Mara! :)

Yes. Because we were still going for the quick fix. Snyder and Cerrato were still involved in the player personnel game. For Gibbs--it was old hat: He worked with Bethard and Cooke on player personnel moves. But he did not realize how inept those two were.

I still want to give Shanahan and Allen a full offseason with no restraints. If they suck next year too, then we should move on.

I think we need to cut our ties right now.

So you're assuming that I'm basing this all off of 2013 (when my preseason prediction was about 9 wins..but that's neither here nor there) and not Shanahan's Skins career as a whole...even though I've been saying that throughout the thread. Yep...

Read a bit more kind sir

These are some great players we targeted but couldn't afford and lost out on due to our $36 mil cap hit that we were robbed of.

RB Reggie Bush, WR Vincent Jackson, RT Eric Winston, G Marshall Yanda ,CB Rodgers Cromartie , CB Aqib Talib, Nickle Corner Kyle Arrington. 

Lets say we were able to snag 3 out of the 7 those players would drastically improve our roster.

Could you imagine RT Winston (who wanted to be here) CB Talib (who wanted to be here) and WR Vincent Jackson (taking over WR #1 and Garcon #2) ?

Or Winston, Talib, and Bush? We would have never had to draft Chris Thompson if we could have signed bush meaning we could have got something else at #5. 

My point is the salary cap fiasco destroyed the growth of this team i'm more than happy with what the shanny clan has been able to do so far, now if they suck next year then yes it's time for them to hit the road.

Thanks for the ratification on that ZR man.

No prob. It's one of those things that irks me because admittedly, when I first heard it as reported I slapped my head and went "Really? REALLY? I understand the superbowl should be every teams goal, but did you need to say it like that?". After the thing with Davy and the Nats I just knew it was going to be a sports talk topic for a week (it was).

So then when I saw Dan's excellent post (directed there by another poster I believe, sadly I can't remember who or I'd give credit) I admonished myself and made it kind of a point to make sure others realized that the BS story that was portrayed was incorrect.

There's so many things that we can complain about with regards to Shanahan, but it's sad that much of our local media helps with the national media in pushing and propping up the "choas" they so often declare is institutional in Ashburn.

To your later point, you also have to consider the venue. He wasn't talking to the media or to the general public. This was at the Welcome Home lunchon. It's essentially a pep rally focused around troops and alumni redskins. It's not the type of place you're thinking you have to intricately cache your wording to cover every track of miscommunication or misconstruing.

Whatever happens, I hope Bruce Allen stays on. Not particularly as the GM, but as someone to help guide contracts. He has a ton of value.

Truth be told, though, I'm most worried about the Kyle/Griffin dynamic. I don't know what exactly is at play there, but something is going on. Their body language when speaking to one another on the sideline isn't positive.

I'd guess it's a disagreement in strategy and what's best for the team, especially given Griffin's post game comments.

I didn't hear it specifically, but I saw posted that Griff said he can't comment on the strategy or playcalls, whatever it was, but that they are a running team... Except they aren't really running.

So my guess is he wants Morris to get more carries and he wants more carries and Kyle is trying to make him a pocket passer.

The gameplan, at first watch, live, seemed like it was completely opposite of last week's.

I agree completely but that doesn't jive with the reports that Griffin told the coaches he wanted to be a pocket passer and not run anymore.

I agree completely but that doesn't jive with the reports that Griffin told the coaches he wanted to be a pocket passer and not run anymore.

I'm trying to base what my gut feeling is based on things I've seen/read via direct quote... Reports from hearsay are very often incorrect...

Archived