Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: Gansler Says Breaking Up Teen Party Was Not His Job

visionary

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-10-23/news/bs-md-gansler-party-20131023_1_gansler-underage-drinking-teen-party

Gansler says breaking up teen party was not his job

Attorney general has advocated against underage drinking

Maryland attorney general Doug Gansler (white shirt with cell phone, right of center) is seen in a photo posted to Instagram from a senior week party in Delaware this summer.

When Maryland Attorney General Douglas F. Gansler arrived at a house party of teenagers in June, he pushed through the crowd, past youngsters dancing on a table and a smattering of red plastic cups. One of the revelers snapped a photo.

As the night wore on, teens at the South Bethany rental home posted tweets, photos and videos of a bash labeled the "eviction party" for its intensity — a celebration where underage participants later confirmed many were drinking alcohol.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-gansler-folo-20131024,0,2720428.story

Gansler says that in retrospect, he made 'a mistake'

Under scrutiny for his presence at a party where teens said there was underage drinking, Attorney General Douglas F. Gansler said Thursday that in retrospect, he should have done more to intervene.

"Perhaps I should have assumed there was drinking in the home, and I got that wrong," Gansler said of stopping by the party briefly and then leaving. He said not investigating whether teens were drinking "was a mistake I made."

Sometimes it is difficult, he said, to know how to do the right thing as a parent.

Gansler spoke at a news conference he scheduled to respond to a report in The Baltimore Sun about his role in a senior week party in Delaware in June. He said firmly he will remain a candidate in the Democratic race for governor.

"We're in it. We're going to win it," he said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/10/24/the-bestworst-quotes-from-doug-ganslers-press-conference/?wprss=rss_politics&clsrd

The best/worst quotes from Doug Gansler’s press conference

If you weren’t watching Maryland Attorney General — and 2014 gubernatorial hopeful — Doug Gansler (D) trying to explain his attendance at a Delaware party where there might or might not have been underage drinking (hint: he now thinks there was), you missed one of the more jaw-dropping and torturous political press conferences in recent memory.

For those who don’t have time to watch the entire affair, we decided to pluck a few of the most notable/damning quotes:

So basically everyone ****ing about this wasn't allowed to go to beach week after graduation? Because kids have been renting places at the beach for spring break and beach week since the beginning of time. All of a sudden we want police to raid a beach week house to break up underage drinking? 

Hypocrites much?

So basically everyone ****ing about this wasn't allowed to go to beach week after graduation? Because kids have been renting places at the beach for spring break and beach week since the beginning of time. All of a sudden we want police to raid a beach week house to break up underage drinking? 

Hypocrites much?

In your opinion, what should your state's Attorney General do, when he sees dozens of people openly violating the state's laws? 

(And I'd love to see you support your claim of "everyone ****ing about this wasn't allowed to go to beach week after graduation".) 

----------

I think most people are just enjoying the hilarious awkwardness of it.

I know I am.  :)

Looking forward to The Daily Show. 

There has been some serious indignation going on around here with regards to this. Finger wagging and claims it should disqualify him from the Gov race.

In your opinion, what should your state's Attorney General do, when he sees dozens of people openly violating the state's laws? 

(And I'd love to see you support your claim of "everyone ****ing about this wasn't allowed to go to beach week after graduation".) 

That was sarcasm.

There has been some serious indignation going on around here with regards to this. Finger wagging and claims it should disqualify him from the Gov race.

I would hope that disqualifying him would be redundant.

Although, this is politics.

The same thing the federal one should do.....strangely crickets

Larry, the MD AG was in DE when the pic was taken. He was a tourist at the beach.

^ This.

This (and the speeding ticket in DC) is going to overshadow a lot of good things gansler wants to accomplish as Gov. And at the moment, is the best candidate in the otherwise horrible field.

Oh, so all someone has to do is leave the state and they are no longer officers of the court?

Any adult that was in that house should have called the police.

including the adults deemed not old enough to drink?

he has no jurisdiction there,so he is not  a officer of anything there

What's coming out, apart from the party, is that he does have some ego issues and flaunting the laws issues. Using state trooper chauffeurs to go through red lights and speed to get to "routine meetings". Don't care so much about the party—but it just paints the picture of a fat headed, egomaniac running for office.

including the adults deemed not old enough to drink? he has no jurisdiction there,so he is not  a officer of anything there

That's a total copout. He's running for a very high position in government and he's at a party where underage drinking is prevalent. Don't tell me he has no responsibility.

That's a total copout. He's running for a very high position in government and he's at a party where underage drinking is prevalent. Don't tell me he has no responsibility.

Did I say he has no responsibility?.... he has no jurisdiction or authority there

I'd like to see him straighten out Delaware in his off time  :) ,if he is bored he can do DC as well

coming soon to a pot party near you the chauffeured unmasked avenger :D  

This (and the speeding ticket in DC) is going to overshadow a lot of good things gansler wants to accomplish as Gov. And at the moment, is the best candidate in the otherwise horrible field.

like what?

What's coming out, apart from the party, is that he does have some ego issues and flaunting the laws issues. Using state trooper chauffeurs to go through red lights and speed to get to "routine meetings". Don't care so much about the party—but it just paints the picture of a fat headed, egomaniac running for office.

agreed. 

i'm not sayings ganslers a bad guy, or corrupt or anything, but when i hear about people in positions of authority (cops, politicians and such) exercising bad judgement, or flaunting or abusing their power, its gotta make you wonder. 

the excuses he makes only makes it worse. i've never gotten over bill clinton saying "it depends on what your definition of 'is' is".

its so 'used car salesman'-ish. makes me feel like i have to shower. 

Archived