Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Vs. Broncos History, Anecdotes, And Fan Memories

kleese

--The Redskins are 5-6 all time vs. Denver in the regular season

--The Redskins are 1-0 all time vs. Denver in the post season (Super Bowl XXII)

--The Redskins won the first ever meeting at Denver in 1970 by a score of 19-3

--The Redskins are 2-4 all time at Denver

--Neither team has a winning streak in the series longer than 2 games

--The teams only played once between 1975-1985

--4 of their 11 regular season meetings have been on MNF (split those games 2-2)

--The Redskins won the last meeting between the teams in 2009

--The Redskins lost the last meeting in Denver in 2005

My Memories:

Not a lot here, but a few stand out....

1986: Second to last game on a Saturday at Mile High. We were 11-3 going in and the Broncos were 10-4. Game went back and forth and the Broncos eventually won 31-30. We'd pretty much lost the division to the Giants the week before, but this game clinched it for NY.

Super Bowl XXII: I was ten years old and watching from our living room in Tulsa. I cried after we fell behind 10-0 because I thought we wouldn't be able to rally against Elway. I wasn't crying about ten minutes later. No need to rehash the details--- the second quarter of that game is etched in Redskins fans brains forever and I am always happy to revisit it. I must have been a pretty cut throat kid because I remember being disappointed that we didn't make more of an effort to break SB scoring records in the second half. The 1987 team was by far the least impressive/talented of our title teams and I'd actually say that our teams in 1983, 1986, and maybe even 2012 were better. Which simply made that title even more gratifying.

1989: On vacation in Toronto with my parents. I remember two things about that trip...it was freezing cold while we were there and the Redskins lost on MNF to the Broncos. Elway was hurt that night, but Kubiak came in and managed the game well. Their defense stymied us and we lost 14-10. I watched from our hotel room and I recall being very agitated :)

1992: Art Monk's big night. 1992 was a struggle all season, but on that Monday Night in RFK we looked like the defending champs we were. Our defense crushed Elway and the game was over at the half. The only remaining drama was whether or not Monk would break the receptions record that night. The lopsided margin allowed Gibbs to call specific plays for Monk to the get the ball on our final drive. I remember the tension building a bit, which I'm sure ABC was happy about as many fans likely kept their TV sets on for that reason only. Watching from my customary spot at our home in Tulsa, I was so happy he set the record that night on national TV.

1995: That year was as fun as a 6-10 season will ever get. We were much improved from 1994 and so many of our games were down to the wire or very close before our opponent pulled away late. I was a junior in HS living in Houston at the time and I watched from the local sportsbar I had found that didn't mind I was underage. It looked like Denver would smoke us as they took a 24-7 lead, but Gus had a really nice day and brought us back to tie it at 24 entering the 4th. Terrell Davis scored a TD to put the Broncos ahead and I figured that was that, but Gus brought us back again to tie it at 31 very late. Then, the crusher. Elway hit Rod Smith over Darrell Green for a 43 yard TD as time expired. It wasn't a Hail Mary per se as Smith was the only WR in the area and Elway clearly targeted him as opposed to just lofting a jump ball. It was very crushing as our offense was rolling and I felt we would have won the game if the coin toss went our way in OT. Walking out of the bar, I saw a beer bottle on the ground, picked it up and threw it randomly-- almost hitting a moving car. Brilliant.

1998: Everyone saw this one coming. We were 0-3 and looked awful doing so. The Broncos were defending champs and sitting at 3-0. There was a small glimmer as Bubby Brister replaced the injured Elway, but it made no difference. Total domination.

2001: The 4th game of our 5 game win streak to get back to .500-- and it was just as ugly as all the others. Tony Banks was dreadful that day-- I can't remember if he got hurt or just pulled, but Kent Graham came in and did much better-- I think it was cold and rainy in Denver that day. We scored two TDs in the 4th and won 17-10. This was the game when it started to feel like we had real playoff hopes. My wife and I had only been married a few months at the time and we lived in an apartment in Tulsa where I had a room dedicated to sports watching-- two TVs, posters on the wall, etc... Needless to say, 12 years and 2 kids later, that room is long gone :)

2005: This one is kind of foggy for me....Seemed like Denver was in control most of the game, but we hung around and had a chance to tie it on 2 point conversion late, but failed. I remember not being too upset after this one considering it was our first loss, it was on the road, and we already had three wins under our belt.

2009: I didn't care. 2009 is my all time least enjoyable season as a fan, edging out 1998 and 1994. I had mailed it in at that point although I did watch. Sellers caught the TD on the fake punt from Hunter the punter. But again, I didn't care.

2001: Graham also came in and led us to a come-from-behind win in the season finale vs the Cardinals.  Even though nobody will ever mistake Graham for a star QB, I've always wondered what might have happened that season if Marty had stuck with him after the Denver game instead of going back to Banks.

2005: I also remember getting screwed where Plummer clearly fumbled in his end zone and I can't remember if we recovered or they recovered but instead of 2 (or 7) points for us, they called the tuck rule. That was Shanny's best post-Elway season in Denver.

2009: Kyle Orton was torching us early as Eddie Royal got behind the secondary by at least 5 yards several times in the first half. But then Orton got hurt and they brought in the woeful Chris Simms, who looked as hapless as Matt Flynn did a few weeks ago.  Also, on the Hunter fake punt/TD, didn't we try it the play before as well and Denver called timeout, but we did it again anyway?

I remember the game the year prior to SB XXII; Redskins playing in Denver. A close battle, and a very good game. Charles Mann was called for of all things, a' leg whip' where he was being held and falling down at an angle, his leg came up and nearly hit Elway. IMO a BS flag, but the Broncos won 31-30.

SB XXII, well, what can you say. Every football fan alive knows of the slaughter that happened at Jack Murphy Stadium. The 2nd qtr was the equivilant of Barbara Eden, Donna Mills, Lucy Lu, and Heather Graham highly intoxicated and lookin' for love, and i'm the only man around.

HEY, a guy can dream ! ;)

The thing about the Kent Graham performance in Denver that really stands out to me - Banks had a head (or maybe neck) injury, so the training staff wasn't allowed to remove his helmet. NFL rules at the time only allowed one helmet on offense to be wired, so Jimmy Raye was "offline" and Kent Graham had to call all his own plays - and it was by far our best offensive performance of the year. Raye had to be the worst offensive coordinator ever. I never understand people's love here for Marty. A solid teacher, but an absolutely worthless tactician, which is why he could never win a playoff game.

1986: I remember being so mad about that game. I wasn't mad about the result, but mad about the fact that we went to the mall that Saturday night. It must have been right around Christmas, so the family went to the mall instead of assuming our usual spots in the family room. I was relegated to checking the TVs in the department stores. I'll have to check, but I feel as though we had a lead relatively late so I think we assumed we'd win the game.

1987: I agree with you about the 1987 team being the most underwhelming of our championship teams. That team will always be my favorite though. Being just a bit too young to remember most of the 1982 season (I do remember watching the Super Bowl), this was the first Super Bowl season that I followed from September. It was just a grind-it-out, Joe Gibbs team that played its best game on the biggest stage. Imagine that.

1992: Art Monk.

2001: I remember KG having to play and remember Westbrook making some big plays late in that game. It felt like it was all coming together by the time we exited a snowy, Mile High Stadium with the W.

2005: This was a fun game. Our D held up relatively well but I remember being mad that Tatum Bell scored on us (considering the fact that the Broncos drafted him with the 2nd round pick we gave them for Portis). Brunell led a great comeback and had someone open on the 2-pointer but the ball didn't get through.

I think I missed the game in '01.

I definitely remember '05 though. It was one of the first games where the absence of Antonio Pierce was felt. We were a top 3 defense in '04 (that defense is the best I've ever seen us field). That year was the Warrick Holdman/Lemar Marshall experience. Gregg Williams screwed up. Lemar Marshall was better served as an OLB, and had replaced Lavar the previous season. So we plug him (all 220-225 pounds of him it seemed like) into MLB, and put Warrick Holdman at OLB, and it was just awful.

We had a legit shot at going 4-0. I think we had scored either a FG or a TD on the opening drive, and a few drives later, Tatum Bell rips us on a 40+ yard TD. Then he comes back and hits us with like a 50 yarder a little bit later. Our pass defense was still elite, but our run defense took a major step back that year. I think we had a late score in that game, and converted on a 2 pointer to get within like 2-3 pts, but I believe we coudn't get the onsides. The cameras also kept panning towards Lavar on the sidelines (after he was demoted) during the game, and the commentators took note of his crisp and clean jersey in what was a rainy/muddy game. The rest is history there.

2005: Some BS call when we should have had a safety. And Sean Taylor totally destroyed a RB on a run play and it was #1 on MNF's "Jacked Up!" segment.

2009: Haynesworth knocked out Orton before the half and we took over from there. 

2005: Some BS call when we should have had a safety. And Sean Taylor totally destroyed a RB on a run play and it was #1 on MNF's "Jacked Up!" segment.

It was Tatum Bell on the goal line. Taylor shot through and freaking picked him up off his feet and drove him back like 2-3 yds. It looked like something out of The Longest Yard.

I attended the '92 game where Art Monk broke the record. Two years prior we left a game vs. Philly early at my stepdad's demand. We were running out the clock and Gerald Riggs fumbled, the Eagles returned it inside our 10 yard line and  Philly won the game. Now fast forward to the Monday night game vs. Denver. It was a blowout and once again my stepdad got up and motioned for us to leave. I refused, remembering the Philly game and realizing the possibility that Monk might set the record. He was furious(he wasn't a skins fan for one). Not long after that we started throwing some short out patterns to Monk so he could get the record. I'm so glad I kept my rear end parked in that seat!

2009- Mike Sellers and hunter Smith. Oh and Zorn

My wife and I were visiting the family during this game (came down from Seattle) and were staying in California, Maryland.  I was so excited to listen to Sonny and Sam while watching on TV.

Well anyways, when this play happened I'll never forget being so excited and then going to high-five my 5 months pregnant wife and she looked at me and said, "That was cool, but was that even legal?" :lol:

I told her to just stick with me.  I find it difficult to explain the game to novice fans, but she's improved greatly these last several years of marraige.

Danny Smith earned his paycheck that year.  Two or three special teams TDs.  Swinging gate aside, of course.

--The Redskins are 5-6 all time vs. Denver in the regular season

--The Redskins are 1-0 all time vs. Denver in the post season (Super Bowl XXII)

--The Redskins won the first ever meeting at Denver in 1970 by a score of 19-3

--The Redskins are 2-4 all time at Denver

--Neither team has a winning streak in the series longer than 2 games

--The teams only played once between 1975-1985

--4 of their 11 regular season meetings have been on MNF (split those games 2-2)

--The Redskins won the last meeting between the teams in 2009

--The Redskins lost the last meeting in Denver in 2005

My Memories:

Not a lot here, but a few stand out....

1986: Second to last game on a Saturday at Mile High. We were 11-3 going in and the Broncos were 10-4. Game went back and forth and the Broncos eventually won 31-30. We'd pretty much lost the division to the Giants the week before, but this game clinched it for NY.

Super Bowl XXII: I was ten years old and watching from our living room in Tulsa. I cried after we fell behind 10-0 because I thought we wouldn't be able to rally against Elway. I wasn't crying about ten minutes later. No need to rehash the details--- the second quarter of that game is etched in Redskins fans brains forever and I am always happy to revisit it. I must have been a pretty cut throat kid because I remember being disappointed that we didn't make more of an effort to break SB scoring records in the second half. The 1987 team was by far the least impressive/talented of our title teams and I'd actually say that our teams in 1983, 1986, and maybe even 2012 were better. Which simply made that title even more gratifying.

1989: On vacation in Toronto with my parents. I remember two things about that trip...it was freezing cold while we were there and the Redskins lost on MNF to the Broncos. Elway was hurt that night, but Kubiak came in and managed the game well. Their defense stymied us and we lost 14-10. I watched from our hotel room and I recall being very agitated :)

1992: Art Monk's big night. 1992 was a struggle all season, but on that Monday Night in RFK we looked like the defending champs we were. Our defense crushed Elway and the game was over at the half. The only remaining drama was whether or not Monk would break the receptions record that night. The lopsided margin allowed Gibbs to call specific plays for Monk to the get the ball on our final drive. I remember the tension building a bit, which I'm sure ABC was happy about as many fans likely kept their TV sets on for that reason only. Watching from my customary spot at our home in Tulsa, I was so happy he set the record that night on national TV.

1995: That year was as fun as a 6-10 season will ever get. We were much improved from 1994 and so many of our games were down to the wire or very close before our opponent pulled away late. I was a junior in HS living in Houston at the time and I watched from the local sportsbar I had found that didn't mind I was underage. It looked like Denver would smoke us as they took a 24-7 lead, but Gus had a really nice day and brought us back to tie it at 24 entering the 4th. Terrell Davis scored a TD to put the Broncos ahead and I figured that was that, but Gus brought us back again to tie it at 31 very late. Then, the crusher. Elway hit Rod Smith over Darrell Green for a 43 yard TD as time expired. It wasn't a Hail Mary per se as Smith was the only WR in the area and Elway clearly targeted him as opposed to just lofting a jump ball. It was very crushing as our offense was rolling and I felt we would have won the game if the coin toss went our way in OT. Walking out of the bar, I saw a beer bottle on the ground, picked it up and threw it randomly-- almost hitting a moving car. Brilliant.

1998: Everyone saw this one coming. We were 0-3 and looked awful doing so. The Broncos were defending champs and sitting at 3-0. There was a small glimmer as Bubby Brister replaced the injured Elway, but it made no difference. Total domination.

2001: The 4th game of our 5 game win streak to get back to .500-- and it was just as ugly as all the others. Tony Banks was dreadful that day-- I can't remember if he got hurt or just pulled, but Kent Graham came in and did much better-- I think it was cold and rainy in Denver that day. We scored two TDs in the 4th and won 17-10. This was the game when it started to feel like we had real playoff hopes. My wife and I had only been married a few months at the time and we lived in an apartment in Tulsa where I had a room dedicated to sports watching-- two TVs, posters on the wall, etc... Needless to say, 12 years and 2 kids later, that room is long gone :)

2005: This one is kind of foggy for me....Seemed like Denver was in control most of the game, but we hung around and had a chance to tie it on 2 point conversion late, but failed. I remember not being too upset after this one considering it was our first loss, it was on the road, and we already had three wins under our belt.

2009: I didn't care. 2009 is my all time least enjoyable season as a fan, edging out 1998 and 1994. I had mailed it in at that point although I did watch. Sellers caught the TD on the fake punt from Hunter the punter. But again, I didn't care.

i was at that 95 game...that td was scored in front of me...south stands...still a very vivid memory!

Archived