Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Anyone Notice How Much More Time Rg3 Had To Throw?

mitchellvii

A combination of better blocking, the threat of RG3 running and Reed vacuuming up huge plays across the middle seemed to give RG3 tons of time to throw today.  In my mind that is one of the most significant developments in this game no one seems to be talking about.

I don't care if you are Manning, if you have no time to throw you are gonna have a long day.  I'm glad they seem to have abandoned turning RG3 into a pure pocket passer.  He is far more accurate and instinctive when he is moving.

Also, please Kyle, can we stay in no huddle the whole game?  Everytime we go no huddle we shred.

I've been saying we need to run more no-huddle all season. We've been successful running it at any time with RGIII & the more comfortable he gets in it, & the more confidence that comes fr the coaches handing him the keys, the more effective he gets at it.

I think RGIII is best suited for this type of offense & it will open up more of the running game. We'll see if they continue to expand on it...i believe they should have done this 4 games ago though.

Didn't look like he had much time to throw in my estimation. We still kept getting free rushers in our backfield which forced Robert to head for the sidelines or improvise. I don't think he can play like this and last in the NFL so I would prefer we shore up our line somehow ASAP and focus on improving him as a pocket passer who CAN scramble. Aaron Rodgers should be the prototype for Robert and someday maybe he could even surpass the standard Aaron has set. Robert is not built to take the pounding season after season. Games like today are fun but I would prefer if we can win without him having to take so many hits and if it means poor results for the team this season and everyone understands that throughout the organization, so be it.

They haven't abandoned trying to develop RG3's pocket skills. That would be moronic to abandon something that is vital to his long-term success and longevity. What we did today was use more RO so that we could have a pocket more often for RG3 to throw out of. RG3 looked good in the pocket today because he had more time thanks to all the other stuff done, whereas in Dallas we didn;t do it as much and they made our OL look like crap. I imagine next season when we bring in some better OL with cap space that we'll still do RO but not have to rely on it quite so much.

A combination of better blocking, the threat of RG3 running and Reed vacuuming up huge plays across the middle seemed to give RG3 tons of time to throw today.  In my mind that is one of the most significant developments in this game no one seems to be talking about.

Yeah everything seemed to run smoother and at a good pace....nothing was rushed today.  Reed is the key. Getting the TE involved will extend drives and win games. 

Aside from Jordan Reed's big game, the most significant aspect of the win for me was getting Aldrick involved again. It was awesome to see him catch that quick in route and show his speed after the catch. 

Teams have been blitzing us like crazy because they feel Robert can't break a big run like before AND they are ok with focusing on Garcon and leaving everyone else in single coverage. What Jordan Reed did and, to a lesser extent, Aldrick Robinson was force defense's to respect other guys in our passing game which means they can't just send guys to blitz. They've got to cover more.  

I hope those two keep it up. It'll be huge for us. We need guys that defense's fear. I love Hankerson and I think Morgan is decent, but they're not putting fear into the hearts of a defense. If I was coordinating against the Skins, I'd be worried about Garcon and allowing Morris to get going and that's about it. But not after this game. Robert still hasn't shown that ridiculous explosiveness he had last year so I think defense's will still not be too aggressive about taking him away, but now they've got to worry about him getting some chunks here and there as well as Reed and Robinson's speed. 

It should open everything up, God willing. We had 499 yards of offense against the Bears defense. Very impressive. 

I've been saying we need to run more no-huddle all season. We've been successful running it at any time with RGIII & the more comfortable he gets in it, & the more confidence that comes fr the coaches handing him the keys, the more effective he gets at it.

I think RGIII is best suited for this type of offense & it will open up more of the running game. We'll see if they continue to expand on it...i believe they should have done this 4 games ago though.

It was mental for RG3. It wasn't going to happen four games ago.

They haven't abandoned trying to develop RG3's pocket skills. That would be moronic to abandon something that is vital to his long-term success and longevity. What we did today was use more RO so that we could have a pocket more often for RG3 to throw out of. RG3 looked good in the pocket today because he had more time thanks to all the other stuff done, whereas in Dallas we didn;t do it as much and they made our OL look like crap. I imagine next season when we bring in some better OL with cap space that we'll still do RO but not have to rely on it quite so much.

RG3 is not a sit in the pocket QB. Just listened to Doc Walker about the subject. The Skins run the ball and use RG3 legs to open up everything else. When defenses have to defend the entire field, its very difficult. The Skins tried keeping RG3 in the pocket the first few weeks. How that work out?

RG3 is not a pocket passer. Lets just get off it now. He is NOT going to sit in pocket.

@submitted... I thought that 30 yard pass to Robinson was a crossing or out; not an in route. He came across and then skirted up that sideline. I thought.

That was my favorite play call all day. The QB Waggle, RG3 briefly cuts left and rolled out to his right, buying time. It was a play missing from our offense, read option benefits aside.

If Kyle gets RG3 out of the pocket, we don't need play action nearly as much.  It's that simple

RG3 is not a sit in the pocket QB. Just listened to Doc Walker about the subject. The Skins run the ball and use RG3 legs to open up everything else. When defenses have to defend the entire field, its very difficult. The Skins tried keeping RG3 in the pocket the first few weeks. How that work out?

RG3 is not a pocket passer. Lets just get off it now. He is NOT going to sit in pocket.

You missed my point entirely. We have to, and will, continue to develop his pocket skills. The RO and his general mobility helps keep the pocket longer by backing defenders off, but in this league long-term that mobility can't be relied on so heavily. The pocket skills have to be developed. Next season with better OL thanks to more cap space, AND with RG3 getting a full offseason of work in, I imagine those pocket skills developing at a higher rate than currently. But right now the RO is good because it gives RG3 more of a pocket during the game, which in turn helps develop those pocket skills. Just because RG3 isn't a traditional pocket passer doesn't mean those skills should be neglected; they are vital to long-term success.

It might be because the bears have struggled to get to opposing QBs all season.  They are 30th in sacks having recorded only 9 on the season.  

I agree even though I still think our Oline was manhandled. There were perhaps 5 or 6 occsions where Robert had a clean pocket to throw from and he delivered in the bulk of those situations. We were great on 3rd down thanks to his mobility and one Jordan Reed stepping up in a huge way.

The bears are on their 4th and 5th dts. Perfect storm of our weakness against their weakness so our oline wouldn't look as bad.

True, but the Cowboys were playing without Ware, Spencer, and then Hatcher got hurt. They weren't exactly using their best DL against us either. The OL definitely looked better, but yes, the Bears were missing some pieces on the DL.

I'm becoming more confident in the idea that Robert IS a "one-read" QB. He stares his target down all too often. It's something I hope he learns to overcome, which he's definitely young enough to do.

To his defense, he still manages to zip a ball in even though the defenders are being a step ahead.

I agree even though I still think our Oline was manhandled. There were perhaps 5 or 6 occsions where Robert had a clean pocket to throw from and he delivered in the bulk of those situations. We were great on 3rd down thanks to his mobility and one Jordan Reed stepping up in a huge way.

I was watching the OL pretty closely and the only guy who I saw getting manhandled was Polumbus. That was pretty bad - shades of Casey "Ragdoll" Rabach. Otherwise they looked pretty good to me.

Broncos have been showing cracks.  The Colts showed us it can be done.

The formula hasn't changed since Bill B. showed everybody how to do it with NE vs. Colts a decade ago: Be physical with the receivers at the line, play press-man coverage with some help, and rush the hell out of Peyton. Have the outside rushers get 5-7 yards up-field and then start pinching in to collapse the pocket, instead of taking a wide, circular route.  Add a few, well timed blitzes up the middle, and you can frustrate Peyton into making a few mistakes.

The problem is that's really tough to do.  You have to trust your secondary to cover 1-1 a lot, and if they get beat, it's game over.  

And you have to get pressure in less than 2 seconds, and that's not easy either.

The formula is there, it's known, and it's been successful.  You've just got to have the team to do it. 

Hell, even when they "slowed" him down last week, Peyton had 389 yards, 3 TDs and an INT.  That's a heck of a "bad game."

Agreed V_O_R the formula hasn't changed to knock off the big boy offenses, but it seems DCs don't trust their own players enough to try. Oddly, even if it means getting blown out. It still pains me to remember the drubbing we had at the hands of NE yet never tried to blitz Brady at all. NE went for it on 4th down late in that game, to rub some sea salt into our largely self inflicted wound.  If we blitzed,  would we have lost 100-0 instead of 51-2. I doubt it. Playing "soft", ironically the defense is exhausted the entire day and can't get off the field.

Haslet started trusting his players late last year and they did just fine.  Sometimes, guys step up their game when a coach shows confidence in his players, and uses them to their strengths. Dare I think, its a little more often than "sometimes".

Which would you rather hear as a DB, what is going to get you up for the game:

We are going to sit back in prevent all day. Base 4-3. Try and limit the bleeding.

We are going to get after the QB, whatever means needed, and play tight man.

Archived