Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: Post Game Quotes & Notes

TK

October 20, 2013

FedExField

Mike Shanahan

On if the team executed to perfection at the end of the game:

“Well, we almost had to. We had to make some plays. I think everyone kept their composure for the most part. That’s what you’re hoping to do. You’re hoping to make the plays that we made. The guys believe in themselves. Collectively, we have to work as a unit to get it done like we did in that fourth quarter.”

“Well, I think every game is big, but we sure need it after being 1-4. You don’t want to dig yourself a bigger hole than you’ve already done. To have this win, and to do it today the way we did is a testament to our players.”

On what quarterback Robert Griffin III did today that was missing previously:

“Well, I think everybody saw what we did today in order to run a little bit more and keep the defense fairly honest. He made some good plays. He was able to run the ball. He competed in the running game, and made some good throws on the run. He led a great final drive to put us in the end zone. We picked up the pace a little bit, and we got them a little bit tired, I think. I think they were a little bit tired there in that hurry up-type mode and kept them a little bit off-balance.”

On the depth of the team:

“I think anytime you get a tight end [Jordan Reed] that has a game like that, it’s very easy to see what type of ability he has – the ability to break off of linebackers and defensive backs and get open, and run with the ball after he catches it. [Running back Roy] Helu [Jr.] is a great change of pace with [running back] Alfred [Morris]. He has great speed for his size. You could tell the defense was getting a little bit tired. Helu got the ball and he has the speed to not only break through tackles, but to get the ball in the end zone quickly. I was pleased with our one-two punch there.”

On the performance of the special teams unit:

“I think if you look at the punt return for a touchdown, we worked all week at kicking the ball out of bounds or hanging it high. He’s going to make some plays. It just shows you what type of ability a guy like that he has, because we worked pretty hard and our coverages were pretty good, except for that one play. If you kick the ball too many times to him, he’s going to break one off. We work on that all the time. The onside kick… He did a good job executing it. It hit off one of our guy’s shoulder pads and they got it, and luckily they were offsides. That’s something we work on, and those things do happen, but I think our special teams played extremely hard. I thought we executed our game plan extremely well, except for that one punt return. There was some great effort. The guys had an excellent sense of urgency and gave you a chance to do some good things.”

On using running back Roy Helu, Jr. in the red zone:

“Usually, if you end up in the red zone, you’ve been driving the ball down the field. All of a sudden, you’re driving the ball down the field and you’re feeding a guy like Alfred or Robert [Griffin III]. Running the ball, it’s a good change of pace to have a guy like that [Helu, Jr.], especially when Alfred is a little bit tired. There was a pretty good one-two punch.”

On facing Bears backup quarterback Josh McCown:

“That’s a good question because I think they had 40 yards in the first half and over 300 in the second half. I have to give him credit. He made some good plays when guys were covered. All of a sudden, you get out of our rush lanes and they made some plays and kept a lot of drives going, so that’s something we’re going to have to work on.”

On if the defense relaxed against a backup quarterback:

“You know everybody doesn’t want to see Jay [Cutler] hurt for a length of time, but obviously don’t want him back in our game. I don’t know if it’s that or his ability to recognize everyone’s covered and make some plays with his feet. All of a sudden you do that a few times and you’re not really sure what they’re calling. That’s their job as a backup – making plays and being well-prepared.”

On cornerback DeAngelo Hall’s play:

“I thought DeAngelo played well. I think he did a great job. I love the way he handled himself last week. He’s been a team guy. I’ve seen a lot of growth there, just the way he handles certain questions. I love the way he’s competing. He’s been a team leader out there and one of the reasons we were able to win this game.”

On if this is the best he’s seen Hall play:

“I’ve seen him play this well before, but I like the way he handled himself on and off the football field.”

On tight end Fred Davis being inactive:

“We put another guy out for special teams who we thought was going to give us the best chance to win. It’s always tough to deactivate someone, especially when you know they are a good football player. Since Fred doesn’t help us a lot on special teams, we thought we’d go with a guy on special teams. And a guy like [safety Trenton] Robinson came in and really did a good job for us today. He’s a new guy, and I thought he did a great job.”

On coaching safety Brandon Meriweather out of leading with his helmet:

“We’re working on it. When you’re taking off, you ask ‘Where is the guy? Is he standing up? Is he going down?’ It’s tough. It’s one of those things where you want them to be aggressive, but get lower – mainly just talking from the team’s standpoint, not even talking about the possible injury or things that go with it. We have to eliminate those 15-yard penalties, and I know Brandon is going to work on it as hard as he can.”

On if he believes Meriweather may be facing suspension:

“I sure hope not, because I know it’s not intentional.”

On the difference being 2-4 instead of 1-5 makes going into next week:

“I just want to concentrate on each game. You can’t really think about the records now. You just worry about playing your best football. We need to play the way our defense did in the first half, with 46 yards given up. I was pretty impressed, and I believe we only allowed two first downs, which really shows you our capabilities. When there is some adversity, you want to be able to fight back. If you can win one of those games like we did today, the guys believe you are going to find a way to win.”

On playing the Denver Broncos next week:

“To be honest with you, I’m going to enjoy this win for the next 24 hours. Denver has an excellent football team, and I’m going to get a chance to see some of that tonight. It’s big for us, because we dug ourselves a bit of a hole, but we found a way to win this week, and hopefully we can next week.”

On the Redskins’ commitment to Breast Cancer Awareness Month:

“You can see the commitment. You can see what Tanya Snyder [wide of Redskins owner Daniel M. Snyder] has done for breast cancer awareness. They are at our facility with a lot of different people, combined with Chris Cooley who started it [the Redskins All-Star Survivors Celebration] five years ago. You can see it just growing and growing. It looked like it was all pink out there today. Everybody is involved with it, and it’s a great cause. We’re happy that we can help some way. Tanya has done a fantastic job being in charge.”

October 20, 2013

FedExField

Robert Griffin III

On if the game was his most emotional comeback in his career:

“Definitely in the NFL, and this is the highest level to play this game, so it was definitely the most emotional. It felt good and [it was] a great team win. We had to win a shootout. We did and that is what we have talked about as a team. Whatever the situation calls for, that is what we have to do.”

On the feeling in the huddle before the last scoring drive:

“Very confident. I told the guys we had to have positive plays and get positive yards on each play. If we don’t, [we have to] make up for it on the next play. We have to take it one play at a time and when we had those crucial third-down situations, we had guys step up for us.”

On if he regained his form from last year:

“Without a doubt. We had a feeling about this game. I know I did. I talked to the guys before the game about having a breakthrough. We have been through a lot of adversity – offseason, and the beginning of the season not going the way we wanted it to. We needed that breakthrough. I told them they would be the ones to make the plays to make it happen. I think the guys believed it; they saw it and we went out there to make it happen.”

On the touchdown pass to wide receiver Aldrick Robinson:

“I just had a feeling in that situation. You can talk to [Offensive Coordinator] Kyle [shanahan] about the play call and if I went about it the right way. He called the play. I had a thought and went with my instincts. I gave Al [Aldrick Robinson] a chance to make a play on it and he made it on a heck of a football player, [bears cornerback] Charles Tillman, who got me earlier in the game. It wasn’t payback or anything like that, I just saw something and went with it. I made a great play and when I saw him catch it, there was a feeling of last year like when I threw to [wide receiver] Santana [Moss] down the middle of the field against Philly and he caught it over two defenders. Al catching those field posts in the Dallas and Philadelphia game…We had that feeling the whole game. Our mojo is definitely working today."

On if the win helps the team’s momentum going into the game against the Denver Broncos next week:

“It does. Denver is going to be a tough opponent. They are a great team playing at a high level. [Denver linebacker] Von Miller is back, but I don’t know how he played today. He is always a weapon on the defensive side of the ball and you have [Denver quarterback] Peyton Manning on offense. You tie all that in with the emotion of Coach going back to Denver, [and] it is definitely going to be a high-emotion game and we have to be ready for anything. The momentum we have from this win over a quality team helps.”

On if he was surprised by the play of tight end Jordan Reed:

“It doesn’t surprise me because it’s what the coaches saw in the draft meetings. You see something special from a kid like him. When he comes in and is willing to work hard… He did spend whole offseason with me, so I definitely got to know him well. He is a hard worker, has great talent and like he said after the game, if he works and keeps making plays, I will continue to have more faith in him. He made some big plays for us today and can be a weapon. We just have to make sure that we all take it one game at a time, one step at a time.”

On running backs Alfred Morris and Roy Helu, Jr.:

“I love those guys. They played great. Alfred, the battering ram, who can even take the top off of it and go for the long runs like he did the week before. And then Helu is more of the speed guy, but he’s got a little bit of Alfred in him as well. So we’ve got two great backs back there that can run the ball as long as we give them the lanes to run the ball. They can make guys miss and Helu did a great job in the red zone, and Alfred like you said, did a great job in between the 20s. But I feel fortunate to have those two guys behind me.”

On if he was “feeling it more” this game:

“I’m just trying to do whatever it takes to help this team win games. That’s what it comes down to. I know I’ve got to have a mindset of protecting myself, and even though I ran a lot today, I thought I did a better job at protecting myself even when I cut back in – you know, I got down, kept my legs down. It is what it is, and I’ve got to do what I’ve got to do to help this team win and so if that’s part of it and we won a game in part because of it, then I’m willing to do it and don’t think twice of it.”

On if this was the first time the offense felt like it did last year:

“Yeah, I just felt like we were in sync. We all refer to last year, even myself, coaches, the media because last 

year was a great year for us, offensively and as a team. Just in general, for this year, we felt in sync for the first time I think most of the game, probably the entire game and that’s why the scoreboard reflected it. Defense came up with a score for us, which helped us at the end of the game. We definitely felt in sync; the offensive line was working for me, giving me time to throw the ball. And the receivers were making plays in the passing game.”

On getting a win they desperately needed:

“There are no words for it. It was big. I like happy locker rooms, I know you guys like happy locker rooms. It’s 

good to see smiles on guys’ faces. We had a breakthrough today and we need to make sure that carries on for the following weeks. We’ve still got a hole to get out of, but when you’re coming off a win and you’re sitting there at 2-4, it’s a lot easier to than if you’re sitting at 1-5.”

On preparing for a possible shootout against Denver next week:

“It’s tough how to phrase that, because Denver is a powerhouse on offense but I’m not going to concede our defense to that. I have faith in our defense and I have to believe that they can shut them down. Like we had to win a shootout today, if we have to win a shootout in Denver, then that’s what we go out and do. As an offense, you can always get better. I don’t know if there’s a ways to go, but there were plays out there that we could have executed better. But we won the game, and that’s something we can’t lose sight of. We’re going to watch the film – we won’t watch it with smiles on our faces – we’ll watch it and we’ll critique ourselves real tough, and you get better from that. But I think we made enough plays today to win the game, and that’s all that matters.”

On Shanahan going back to Denver with the Redskins at 2-4:

“There’s definitely a bigger difference going in 2-4 rather than 1-5. We have a little more momentum on our side and the position in the division. And then with Coach, I can’t really speak for Coach when it comes to that. He won two Super Bowls, coached there for a long time and has a lot of ties to that city. I hope he can keep his emotions under control. We’ll definitely play that much harder for him. He’s our coach and we’re going to go out there and go to battle for him.”

On if he has crossed a mental hurdle:

“I think that the mental part of it that I did get over was not thinking out on the field and just reacting. I don’t that was anything to do with my knee, the knee brace or anything else, I think that was just for me mentally playing the game, irrelevant of my injury. That’s the breakthrough I feel like I’ve had for myself and I’m proud of that, to just go out there and play with your instincts. That’s what I meant when I say that’s what got me here and that’s what’s made me the player that I am. It’s what makes a lot of those guys in there the players that they are. I think we all did a better job at just having fun. We know our assignments, just go out there and have fun playing football.”

On his connection with Jordan Reed: 

“When you look at it coaches talk-wise, he’s wider to separate. He’s got good hands. Like I like to say, he has a wide catch radius, so he can catch just about anything you throw at him. Aside from that, in the offseason, he just worked hard. He didn’t get to practice very much, just like I didn’t and we worked together. I tried to teach him little things, here and there. I’m no tight ends coach, but I am a quarterback and I kind of know what you’ve got to do to get the ball thrown to you so I tried to help him in that sense. But other than that, he’s done a good job at absorbing everything that Sean McVay, the tight ends coach, and [offensive coordinator] Kyle [shanahan] have been trying to teach him. And then he knows his stuff; he’s on top of it. He doesn’t have too many busted assignments. That’s something that is a great thing when you are a rookie coming into a new offense.” 

On Chicago Bears cornerback Charles Tillman:

“Charles Tillman – we went to the same high school. It was a dream come true for me to play against him today. He did get me with the interception, but I got him back with the touchdown.”

On his interception return for a touchdown in the second quarter:

“I’ve never scored, actually. I started playing football in middle school and I never scored in middle school, high school, college or the pros. I’ve never had a pick in general. It was a crazy feeling. I was so excited that I didn’t know what to do once I got in the end zone. It was a phenomenal feeling. I’ve been preaching that I’m trying to get my ‘Ryan Kerrigan’ on, with all the picks he’s got – and [linebacker] Rob Jackson. I’m trying to catch up a little bit.”

On what he saw develop during that play:

“The crazy thing is, it all kind of fell into place. We’ve been preaching ever since the Green Bay game, getting 11 helmets into the frame, running to the ball. We’ve been doing it throughout practice for the past four weeks. Everybody is running to the ball. I don’t care if it’s 60 yards down the field, just run to the ball – and that’s what happened. I was in coverage and I had nothing really to work. [safety] Reed [Doughty] made a hell of a play on the ball, and I just happened to be there, running to the ball, chasing it and it fell right into my lap. I was able to take it to the crib. It was a great feeling.”

On whether or not this was his best career game in terms of getting pressure on the quarterback:

“It felt like one of my best. Obviously I didn’t get any sacks, but Coach praised us as far as the pressure and getting there and being a force out there. I’m just doing the best I can, and like I said, [in] some of your best games, sometimes you won’t get a sack. It’s just contributing and continuing to get pressure on the passer, and making plays in the backfield and wherever you can go to a W. I attribute that to a lot of hard work from all of my teammates. I’m just proud. I’m very proud of the way we finished the game. We struggled in the second half a little bit defensively after the phenomenal first half we had, but we were able to hang in there and make plays down in the end.”

On how difficult it was to play against backup quarterback Josh McCown:

“As a general fan watching the game, you might be like, ‘Oh, wow, the starting quarterback’s down. We’ve got a great shot now of getting after it – really blowing a team out,’ but you don’t practice against the guy. We didn’t even really know who the second quarterback was going into the game. So when he came in, we didn’t really have a great scouting report on him and we didn’t realize how mobile he was. That’s why he was able to make some plays early with his feet, moving around. I thought he did a great job. He did a great job as far as coming in and changing the pace of the game, and really making some plays and putting Chicago back in the game. We hunkered down at the end – big sack by [nose tackle] Barry [Cofield] and Kerrigan and we were able to finish the game.”

On his touchdown and the overall aggressiveness of the defense this year:

“We’ve just been trying to create turnovers. [Defensive Coordinator Jim] Haslett and the rest of the coaching staff have been preaching that - creating turnovers and giving possession back to our offense. The fortunate thing about the turnovers that we had is that we were able to score, so that just puts points on the board. It’s great. We’ve got to keep it up week in and week out, and if we keep doing that, we can build off of a game like this and really look forward to the future.”

On the offense moving the ball today and if it gives the defense confidence:

“Oh, absolutely. This is what I’ve been waiting for. I missed all last season with our offense clicking on all cylinders and a healthy [quarterback] Robert [Griffin III], and I was so jealous of those guys last year when our defense was able to go out there. And, who cares, [you can] make a mistake, but at least you’re trying to be a playmaker. Well, now it seems like our offense is clicking. Robert is getting his feet back and he’s making plays and they’re scoring a lot of points, so that really can pay tribute to us making big plays on the defensive side – really getting after it, getting some great turnovers and doing a phenomenal job getting off the field.”

On what this win means for the team:

“It feels great. Everybody was focused and just to see that hard work pay off for us feels good. We just have to keep working hard.”

On his relationship with quarterback Robert Griffin III:

“I was injured for the OTAs and we were just throwing – me and him – and it just carried on. We just got a feel for each other out there and we just have to keep working on it.”

On what is working for him:

“I just try to get open the best I can and [Griffin III] sees me out there and throws perfect passes, catchable balls and I just make the plays for him.”

On if being this productive gives him confidence:

“It gives me confidence because I work hard every day in practice. I stay after with my coach and work on things – just to see it paying off gives me great confidence that hard work pays off.”

On when it started to click between him and Griffin III:

“We’ve been throwing since OTAs and I didn’t notice any time that it started clicking. It’s always been easy for us.”

On if today was his coming out party:

“It felt good just being able to make plays for my team.”

On answering Bears’ scores late in the game:

“When they scored, we were just so determined to change what this week would look like and to change what we would move on forward as a team to look like. Fortunately, we got it done execution-wise.”

On if he expected to get as many carries as he did today:

“No.”

On why he got so many carries:

“[it is] a break for [running back] Alfred [Morris]. We did a little spot stuff with our turbo offense, so we definitely wanted to keep fresh legs in there and it would have been the same for me too if I was getting tired – Alfred would have been in there, too.”

On if he is OK with how the carries are divided:

“Yeah, absolutely. I just go back to [the fact that] I wasn’t playing last season, so to be a part of something bigger than myself with this organization – I’ll take whatever role I can. Today, it just happened to be more of a red zone role because we were running more turbo.”

On if he gives a different look than starter Alfred Morris:

“I think Alfred has speed and is just deceptive. His strides are longer. No, I think both of us strive to be more complete backs and I think that’s what is more similar than anything.”

On how they communicate:

“We encourage each other on the sideline because we don’t know which way the game will go, but we know simple things like ‘How are the keys?’ This and that and keeping our heads cool.”

On how the win feels after missing last season due to injury:

“It was good. It felt good to respond in the way that I was able to and the more amazing thing is – first, we got a win, and second, I never felt any hindrance with my surgery from last year, so that was really encouraging.”

On his state of mind playing against quarterback Jay Cutler:

“Like I said, from the beginning of the week, it wasn’t me versus him. It was us versus them. My goal was to try and help our team win. Ultimately, if I get interceptions, that helps us win. I’m just trying to go out there and help our team win. I tried to get my hands on the ball and had the chance a couple of times, but didn’t capitalize. It felt good seeing Rak [linebacker Brian Orakpo] running in the end zone with one. It felt good seeing the rest of our guys making plays. We have to keep trying to get better.”

On how the defense played today:

“OK. OK, not good, not great, not bad. We played OK.”

On if his drop against the Detroit Lions was on his mind during his touchdown reception today:

“No, I’m not thinking about that. That’s gone. That’s behind me now. I just knew I had to make that play and I did.”

On getting bumped by a defender on the touchdown: 

“I felt the bump. It should have been a P.I. [pass interference penalty], but I guess the refs saw that it did not mess me up or anything, so they didn’t call it. It didn’t affect me at all.” 

On what this win does for the team:

“It’s a little bit of a confidence booster. Our offense played well. Our defense played well in the first half. We have to get better at the second half, but we got the win and that is all that matters.”

On what the team did best today:

“We know we can fight. We know if we get down, we can climb back into games. We know we can dominate a team like we did in the first half, but we have to carry it on through the whole game – not just the first half. But a win is a win.”

On his first career sack:

“It felt great to get my first sack. I was kind of disappointed he got hurt. You never want someone to get hurt, but it felt good to get my first sack.”

October 20, 2013

FedExField

Chicago Bears Head Coach Marc Trestman

On the game: 

“Offensively, we didn’t get off to a good start, but the defense got a pick for us and we are able to convert it into a score. Number one [is] getting the defense to return a kick. [We had] some offensive production in the first half. We kept it close – the ending close. We were down by seven at the half. We came back and I felt we were able to move the ball pretty effectively. However, [Redskins quarterback Robert] Griffin III kept making plays and moving the football. Defensively, we didn’t make the plays today that we needed to make and offensively, we just didn’t finish a couple drives that we needed to finish. Their guys definitely showed they were willing to play 60 minutes when it was a little different start – the defense was on the field for most of the first half due to the turnover and due to Devin’s [Hester] return for a touchdown. We just didn’t have enough. They had the ball one more series.” 

On starting quarterback Jay Cutler’s injury: 

“He’s got a groin injury. He’s been evaluated. He’ll be evaluated over the next couple of days. It’s a groin. It’s not a knee, it’s not an ankle, it’s not a hip. It’s just a groin injury, and it’ll have to be evaluated with an MRI tomorrow.”

On if he has a sense of how serious Cutler’s injury is:

“I don’t have any sense at all. We’ll just have to wait and see what the doctors say.”

On if he adjusted the game plan for the second half:

“We really didn’t. We just went in there and said that we are going to start over. And a lot of things that happened early – we had Devin’s return, then we had [cornerback Charles] Tillman’s interception, we had a short drive, so we really lost two drives offensively. We had three drives where we did basically nothing. We decided that we were going to stick with the plan and run the plays that we had put in during the week - the runs and the passes. We had to get some run game going. We have to do that to keep our defense off the field and RGIII off the field. I think we did a little bit more of that in terms of mixing it up with the run and the pass in the second half and moving the ball. We got stalled on a couple of drives, but I felt we played more the type of offense that we need to play on a regular basis – on a consistent basis – but it didn’t start that way . Our defense being on the field most of the first half I think had a residual effect on the play in the second half. There’s a three phase of football and we didn’t play our three phase as well as we’d like. Credit again has to go to the Redskins. They played a heck of a game.”

On backup quarterback Josh McCown: 

“Josh took over the huddle and moved the football and mixed the rush with the pass. I didn’t ask him what he liked or what he didn’t like. I just called the plays according to the plan that we had put together, and I thought he functioned very well in the offense and moved the ball and had the confidence and led his teammates. He’s got the confidence of his team. Our guys did a good job of running around him. Our line played very well in the second half, but we didn’t make the most – we had three possessions in the first half, which left our defense on the field and had a very significant and residual effect. Washington did a good job going to the no-huddle and putting the pressure on our defense, keeping them on the field and running a lot of plays. They were able to make the plays that we weren’t able to make today and that’s the story of the game.”

On injuries to linebacker Lance Briggs and cornerback Charles Tillman:

“I can’t remember them both, and again, the doctor’s had talked to me and I don’t remember what they were quite frankly. I can get that to you afterwards.”

On what the Bears miss without Briggs in the game: 

“Well, he’s the leader of our defense. I felt the guys that went in there did well. I thought [linebacker] Jonathan Bostic ran around there today and made some plays and was active and had a good first game, but Lance is our leader. He’s the driver. He makes everything go. He makes the calls. You’re going to miss him. Next man up – that’s how you operate in the league, and guys have to be ready to play – not just play, but play at a high level.”

On McCown’s level of play: 

“He’s played a lot of football and been around a long time in this league and he functioned like a starting quarterback when he stepped in there. He took over the huddle. He took care of the football. He moved the football team. It was very chaotic out there. [Redskins Defensive Coordinator] Jim Haslett did a heck of a job today mixing his defenses up, and I thought Josh handled it very well, and he doesn’t get any practice time. He never does. His work is done on the scout teams. Josh did a very good job today.”

On where the team missed Cutler the most after injury:

“Well, he leads our team; he’s our quarterback. That’s why we miss him. We want him out there. We want him to play. It wasn’t the best of starts, but we’ve seen Jay overcome those during the season and we would have expected today as well. Hopefully it [the injury] isn’t too serious. This [the bye week] gives him time to heal up, as well as a number of our other players. We’ll get back to work next week, after this bye and get after it and hope to get better as a football team. We have a long way to go and I think we see signs again that we have to play all four quarters. We didn’t do it today. We certainly have to get better at all three phases. It’s a tough week. It’s tough on the road, and to turn the ball over certainly hurt us. We gave possessions we didn’t want given, but at the end of the day it’s a 60-minute game and our guys played all 60 minutes and I’m proud of them for that.”

On the onside kick:

“We needed a possession back. We had planned for it. It’s something we had planned for during the week. Special situation football decisions are not made at that moment. It was evident that their offense was on the field too much and the score was such that if we could have stopped them and they recovered it, then it would have been a six-point game, so that was part of the decision-making process.”

On quarterback Jay Cutler’s interception: 

“What I saw from my end… I saw the ball hit [wide receiver] Alshon [Jeffery] and it just bounced out of his hands from my angle, but until tomorrow… It looked like a place where Alshon would squeeze that ball and come down with it, but he didn’t.”

On how the team will recover defensively:

“We’re just going to get back to work. When you don’t play as best as you like, you go back to work. We’ll do that as coaches, in terms of evaluating our football team and what we’re doing. Getting healthy over the next couple weeks will be a big part of that. You can’t make excuses but we’re going to be a fresher team certainly when we come out of this break. I think our football team sees that and we can make plays and we can compete every week. We have to play disciplined football and continue to stay together. This team showed that we are going to stay together. It doesn’t make up for losing the game, but it’s a sign that backbones are being built for some tough games in the second half. We have the ability to step up and play all 60 minutes of every game.”

October 20, 2013

FedExField

Bears QB Josh McCown 

On his reaction to quarterback Jay Cutler’s injury:

“First of all, you’re just bummed. As a friend and a teammate, you do not want to see anybody go down. In that situation, when any of your teammates get hurt, and when you are close with somebody, your heart just kind of sinks. At the same time, you have to process that emotionally, move on, and get ready to play. I was bummed; I said a prayer, grabbed my helmet, got some throws in and got ready to play.”

On playing without getting reps in practice:

“It is obviously not ideal, but the expectation is that you play well, [that you] know what you are doing, and know where you are going with the football. For me, it is a credit to the coaches – [Head Coach] Marc [Trestman] and the guys. They talk about doing things for your teammates and things like that, and being selfless. So for me, 45 guys have uniforms on and they expect me to go in and play and play well and give us a chance to win. So, there is no real time to think about that I did not get this rep or that rep – just go out there and try to play productive football.”

On what he thought of his play:

“I do not know. I have to go look at the tape. I have to look at the tape and see. I am pleased with our drives. We put together some good drives, got in the end zone and that is obviously what we expect from the quarterback position here – to move the team and get them in the endzone, and we did that. So, look at it and see how I did individually, but I am very proud of the guys around me, the offensive line and the receivers. As a backup, when you come into these situations, if you can run the ball, it helps the guys out. We certainly did that. It is a hats off to Roberto [Garza] and the guys up front for doing their part, and Matt [Forté] for carrying the ball. It certainly alleviated some stress, gave me some time to get my beat on the game, and the flow and everything.”

On scrambling and if anyone in his huddle told him to slow down:

“On the sideline, yeah, guys were like “Hey,” they were talking to Earl [bennett, emergency quarterback] getting him ready a lot, because there was nobody else. So, it is hard to manage that when you are running, to think about Earl and there is nobody else. It was a good reminder for me. I tried to slide the rest of the time. The one toward the end, the first down was in question. I do not know how close I was to getting it or not, but at that point in the game, you have to go get the first down and to what you have to do to help your team move the ball. So, definitely in those situations, it is an interesting way to play, but you have to stay healthy.”

On not getting reps throughout the week:

“It’s just how it is, and that’s uniform throughout the league. I’ve been a lot of places and reps are at a premium, especially when you’re carrying the volume of offense that we carry. A lot of times you only get one shot to play. With that being said, there’s not really any time to take a starter off the field and say ‘Hey, let’s get the backup some work.’ You just have to be really focused – have mental reps. Taylor Boggs, our backup center, gets back there with me behind the play and he snaps the ball to me. I go through my steps, he goes through his things. It’s a cool thing we do and I appreciate him doing that with me. That’s the nature of being a backup and it’s no different than anybody else.”

On his ability to lead this team:

“That’s the idea. That’s why I’m here and that’s certainly my plan. We’ve just got to assess where we’re at. We’re 4-3. We’re at the bye week. Everything’s still in front of us. All the things that we want to do are still in front of us. We just have to take our break, get healthy. Some of these guys on defense, get a little healthier. [We will] see where we are from there, get geared up from there, coming back against Green Bay – a divisional game and obviously a big rivalry. So, everything’s still right in front of us for me, whatever the case is, however long I can play at a high level.”

On what starting quarterback Jay Cutler can do that he can’t do:

“Have you seen him throw? [Laughs] Obviously, there’s a difference in the velocity of the ball travels when Jay throws it and when I throw it. There’s different ways that we play the game, different ways that we see the game. But he’s very sharp, very sharp to be around – just watching him play, some of the things he does. There’s a little bit of a different game [between the two of us]. He has the capacity to push the ball down the field with his arm strength, some throws that, quite frankly, my arm can’t do. But there’s different ways... Every quarterback is different. That’s the way he was made. He plays his game to his strengths. There’s different things that I do that I try to play to my strengths to help move up-tempo”

On how he plays to that strength:

“Trying to stay calm, lead the team, getting guys in and out of the huddle, be active with the football and play with my feet as well. However I need to get it done, get it done. But, it’s a little different.”

On his accuracy throughout the game:

“I felt like I was throwing the ball OK today. Again, and just practicing with Jay [Cutler]. He sets the bar high when you’re around him and you’re throwing the ball with him. I’m a few years older than Jay and I’m trying to throw and keep up with him. It’s helped me physically because I think he can spin it; he’s accurate and does those things. There’s a standard when you get up to take a rep with a receiver when you’re getting loose and throwing. There’s a standard that he set and you want to hold [yourself] to that, so I credit him and [Quarterbacks Coach Matt] Cavanaugh and the guys and the coaches, stay on my fundamentals and details. It’s funny – the things you think about as you walk the line. I can hear Cav’s voice on little bitty things, as far as where I’m going to hold the ball, how my feet are going to be and stuff like that. He really helped me today.”

On mimicking Cutler’s cadence:

“You have to. It’s pretty standard. Obviously, today and in this environment, that’s pretty normal. You get the cadence and it’s kind of tradition to look at other quarterbacks. You say, ‘Hey, listen to him. Do it like he does it,’ because the starters are going to get most of the time. We don’t have time. The offensive line doesn’t want to hear a different cadence when you get to the line of scrimmage. It throws them off. You have to mimic and get it down – what he does. You know there’s no procedure on things like that.”

On if getting the ball out quickly helps:

“Yeah, it helps. When you pick the ball up and throw it as a quarterback, you just have to throw it and get rid of it for your offensive line, your run game. But it was cool, those were parts of our game plan regardless of who was playing quarterback. We executed our game plan and that’s what I’m pleased about. It certainly helps you getting in rhythm.”

On the last play of the game:

“The last play was on me. I just probably should’ve thrown the ball away sooner. We’re sitting there at 15 seconds. You can complete a ball, kind of get halfway, but you’re probably not going to get there and spike it again. I was trying to buy time, get the angle so I could pump one down there and just get us a jump ball. Once I had to move as much as I did, in hindsight, I would have liked to throw the ball away and settle for a Hail Mary. It’s an unfortunate thing to happen. I wish I would’ve gotten rid of the ball. You don’t want to go down with the ball in your hand in that situation. That’s the one I’d learn from and get better.”

Bears KR/PR Devin Hester

On his punt return for a touchdown:

“It was 81 yards. But at the end of the day, it felt like I ran about 130 yards. I give all the credit to my guys up front for all the great blocking, as well as ‘Joe D’ [special Teams Coordinator Joe DeCamillis] and [Dwayne] Stukes [Assistant Special Teams Coach] for designing a great return for me. I give thanks to God too for allowing me to do what I do.”

On when he saw the wall of blockers forming on the punt return:

“The minute I started heading that way, it was pretty much open. I saw the blocks forming, and it just led me around the wall.”

On how it felt to show people he can still score return touchdowns:

“It was a great opportunity; I got a great opportunity earlier. We knew that this was going to be a team that would try to keep it away from me just because the previous weeks they had been struggling on special teams. We assumed that they were going to try and stay away from our return game. We just made an adjustment coming into halftime. Other than that, we knew that any opportunity I got, we had to make sure to take advantage of it because we weren’t going to get that many.”

Bears RB Matt Forté

On his reaction to starting quarterback Jay Cutler leaving the game:

“Very tough – you never want to see your starting quarterback go down. Josh [McCown] did a great job coming in. I think the guys did a pretty good job being mentally tough. When your starting quarterback goes down and you are used to him playing, it kind of does something mentally to you, but we didn’t want to see anything like that out there.”

On how the huddle changes with McCown:

“Not a lot. He has gotten reps with us in camp. We hang out with Josh every day. He is in meetings with us and practice, so it doesn’t change much. Josh commands the huddle the same way.”

On the offense clicking better in the second half:

“It was pretty much just executing. We started off pretty slow, and then starting executing our plays, whether it was making the right reads, changing plays or getting on blocks.”

On how he feels about his own performance in the loss:

“It doesn’t matter to me; we lost the game. It doesn’t matter if I have 1,000 yards. If we lose, we didn’t do enough to win.”

Bears WR Brandon Marshall

On the shape of the team following this loss:

“We’re good, we’re good. You know what, it was a tough game. When you look at the guys flying around up until the very end, you’ve got to love that. You’ve got to respect that. If we continue to do that and just fix some things up across the board, I think we’ll be in good shape.”

On quarterback Jay Cutler’s absence due to injury:

“We’ve probably got the best guy you want to have at the No. 2 position. [Quarterback] Josh [McCown], he’s really a captain on this team – he just doesn’t have the ‘C’ on his chest. He prepares every week like he’s the guy, and I think that showed today. His confidence and his faith are off the charts.”

On the Bears’ offensive resurgence in the second half:

“You know what, Josh was seeing things fine. It was just a mixture of guys making plays, Josh making plays, Coach dialing them up. Unfortunately, we just didn’t get it done.”

On the status of his wrist:

“Everything hurts.”

On the Bears’ mood following multiple injuries and a loss:

“You ask me about moods? I don’t know about moods. This is professional football. You know, it happens. You lose some and you win some. [sometimes] you make plays, sometimes you don’t. This is professional sports. Guys get paid to get up and dust themselves off.”

Bears LB Jonathan Bostic

On the injuries to quarterback Jay Cutler, cornerback Charles Tillman and linebacker Lance Briggs:

“It was big. Those are three key guys for us; having those guys go down and not be able to return is tough. At the same time, this is football. Guys are going to go down, and guys are going to get hurt. The next guy has to be ready. We had some guys come in and make some plays, but that wasn’t good enough.”

On what makes Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III so tough to defend:

“As you can see, he can do a lot of things, not only with his arm and his accuracy, but with his legs too.”

On how Griffin III was able to find space to run:

“He’s a great athlete. He does a lot of things well. They made more plays than we did today.”

On what was missing with Briggs out of the game:

“A playmaker and experience. He is a guy who has played at a high level for a long time, so losing him and him not being able to come back definitely [hurts]. We could have used him.”

Bears CB Tim Jennings

On giving up more points than usual and failing to make a big defensive play: 

“Of course we’re not used to it, but Washington played a great game. They had a great game plan. They get paid over there, too, and they have some guys that just made more plays than we did. They managed the ball well. They moved the ball up and down the field. Of course we’re not used to it, but it’s the NFL level. Somebody on defense has to make a play.” 

On the health of quarterback Robert Griffin III:

“He’s a good football player. He looks good.”

On if missing cornerback Charles Tillman and linebacker Lance Briggs due to injury hurt the defense:

“Not at all. I’m a player out there. Everybody else is a player out there. We are all accountable. Whether they’re on the field or not, somebody’s got to make a play. Hopefully, we’ll get those guys back healthy. If they’re not healthy, then next man up.”

Bears T Jermon Bushrod

On the loss:

“We fought, we didn’t give up on all three sides of the ball. We fought to complement each other. But at the end of the day, they made more plays, scored more points, and they won the game.”

On if the transition from Jay Cutler to Josh McCown at quarterback went well:

“Yeah, it did. We just understood that we were losing our leader, which does not feel good, but Josh [McCown] has been in this league for a long time. He is a leader himself. He came up there and he led. We all had his back and we fought, we fought, we fought. But, we came up short.”

On the difficulties of playing with a backup quarterback:

“Sometimes it can be a little difficult with him not really taking much reps with the [starters]. But, he [McCown] has been in this league a long time. He is a pro. He studies just as hard as Jay [Cutler], and he is in every meeting with Jay. He knows our offense. He knows what we are looking to do game-plan wise. My hat’s off to the guy. He came in and he put the team on his back. We almost came away with a good win in a tough place to play.”

October 20, 2013

FedExField

Game Notes: Washington Redskins vs. Chicago Bears

• The Redskins earned their second win of the season in comeback fashion on Sunday, scoring in the final minute to complete a 45-41 win against the Chicago Bears. The game was played in front of an announced crowd of 83,147 people at FedExField.

• The Redskins pushed their NFL-best home sellout streak to 380 games, including both regular season and postseason games.

• Washington gained 499 yards offensively, the team’s most since posting 511 yards vs. San Francisco on Dec. 26, 1999, a game which went into overtime. The last time the Redskins posted at least 499 yards in a game that ended in regulation was on Nov. 10, 1991 vs. Atlanta.

• With 86 combined points, the game was the sixth-highest-scoring game in Redskins history. The 86 combined points were the most in a Redskins game since Washington and Philadelphia combined for 87 points on Nov. 15, 2010. 

• The fourth-quarter comeback win was the Redskins’ first since overcoming an eight-point fourth quarter deficit vs. Baltimore in Week 14 last year.

• The win broke a stalemate in the all-time series between the Redskins and Bears. Including postseason play, the Redskins now hold a 24-23-1 all-time record against the Bears.

• The Redskins evened their all-time regular season series with the Bears at 20-20-1. Washington improved to 13-10-1 record in regular season home games against the Bears.

• The win pushed the Redskins’ current winning streak against the Bears to five games, the team’s second-longest regular season streak in their 81-year series with the Bears, trailing only a six-game winning streak from 1989-99. The Redskins have won 11 of their last 13 games against the Bears since 1989.

• Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan earned his 177th career victory as a head coach, including postseason games.

• The victory was Shanahan’s 169th career regular season victory as a head coach.

• Shanahan is now 10-13 for his career in regular season games against the teams that comprise the NFC North.

• The Redskins reached the 45-point mark for the 16thWashington is now 15-1 all-time when scoring 45 points in a regular season game.

• The 45-point performance was the Redskins’ most in the Shanahan era and the team’s most since scoring 52 points vs. San Francisco on Oct. 23, 2005, a span of 128 regular season games.

• The Redskins rushed for 209 yards. Washington has six 200-yard rushing games across the 2012-13 seasons, the most in the NFL in that span.

• Washington broke the 200-yard rushing mark in consecutive games for the first time since Weeks 4-5 of the 1984 season.

• The Redskins had 43 rushing attempts, their most since rushing 43 times at New Orleans in Week 1 last season.

• Washington had three players (Alfred Morris, 19; Robert Griffin III, 11; Roy Helu, Jr., 11) register 11 carries. This marked only the third time in Redskins history the team has had three players with 11 or more carries and the first time since Dec. 7, 2003 against the New York Giants (Trung Canidate, Chad Morton and Rock Cartwright).

• Rookie tight end Jordan Reed set career highs in receptions (nine) and receiving yards (134).

• Reed set the Redskins’ mark for receiving yards in a game by a rookie tight end. The record was previously held by Jerry Smith, who registered 78 receiving yards on six catches vs. Dallas on Nov. 28, 1965.

• Reed’s 100-yard receiving game was the Redskins’ first by a rookie at any position since wide receiver Leonard Hankerson registered 106 receiving yards at Miami on Nov. 13, 2011. His 134 receiving yards were the most by a Redskins rookie since wide receiver Rod Gardner’s 208-yard effort vs. Carolina on Oct. 21, 2001.

• Reed caught his second career touchdown, pulling in a three-yard touchdown pass from Griffin III in the second quarter.

• Reed was targeted nine times and caught all nine passes. In records available starting in 1991, Reed is the first Redskin to be targeted at least nine times and catch every pass.

• Running back Roy Helu, Jr. rushed 11 times for 41 yards (3.7 avg.) and tied a team record with three rushing touchdowns. Helu, Jr. became the first player to score three rushing touchdowns for Washington since Alfred Morris vs. Dallas in Week 17 last season.

• Running back Alfred Morris registered a season high and game high in carries (19) and gained a game-high 95 rushing yards. 

• Quarterback Robert Griffin III completed 18-of-29 passes for 298 yards and two touchdowns. He also posted season highs in rushing attempts (11) and rushing yards (84).

• Griffin III engineered the fourth quarter comeback, his first in its entirety since leading the Redskins to a fourth quarter comeback win in Week 13 vs. the New York Giants last season. Griffin III and Kirk Cousins combined for a fourth quarter comeback the following week vs. Baltimore. Griffin III has been a part of four fourth quarter comebacks, three in their entirety.

• Griffin III’s two passing touchdowns give him 28 for his career, surpassing Doug Williams (27) for 15thmost in team history.

• Griffin III posted his fifth career game of 200-plus passing yards and 75-plus rushing yards, his second in as many weeks. He is one shy of matching Randall Cunningham and Michael Vick, both of whom are each responsible for six career games with 200 passing yards and 75 rushing yards.

• Griffin III added a 23-yard rush in the first quarter. Including a 26-yard rush last week at Dallas, Griffin III recorded runs of 20 yards or more in consecutive games for the first time since Weeks 6-7 last year.

• Griffin III had five completions of 25 yards or more, the most in a single game in his career. It was the first time a Redskins quarterback accomplished the feat since Patrick Ramsey on Sept. 21, 2003 against the New York Giants (five).

• Wide receiver Aldrick Robinson caught two passes for a career-high 75 yards, including his first touchdown of the season on a 45-yard pass in the fourth quarter.

• The 45-yard touchdown pass to Robinson was Griffin III’s longest completion of the year, surpassing a 44-yard reception to Pierre Garçon in Week 2.

• Washington outgained Chicago in the first half, 249-46. The Redskins’ 203-yard advantage in the first half was the team’s biggest since outgaining the San Francisco 49ers by 234 yards in the first half of a game on Oct. 23, 2005.

• The Redskins held the Bears to 22 first-half passing yards. It was the fewest allowed by the Redskins in a first half since holding Cleveland to 17 first-half passing yards on Oct. 19, 2008. Washington allowed 46 total first-half yards, the fewest first half-yards allowed by the team since holding Detroit to 39 on Oct. 7, 2007.

• The Redskins led the Bears at halftime, 24-17. It was the Redskins’ first halftime lead of the year and their first in a regular season game since leading the Philadelphia Eagles, 13-10, in Week 16 last season.

• Washington’s 24 first-half points were the team’s most since scoring 28 first-half points at Dallas in Week 12 last year.

• The Redskins scored on their opening drive, as kicker Kai Forbath converted a 38-yard field goal attempt to culminate a seven-play, 60-yard drive.

• The points on the opening drive gave Washington points on the first drive in each of its last two games. 

The last time the Redskins scored on their opening drives in consecutive games were in Weeks 9-11 of last season (the team had a bye in Week 10).

• Washington forced a three-and-out on the ensuing drive by Chicago, the Redskins’ first defensive three-and-out on an opponent’s opening drive this season.

• On the first play from scrimmage following Helu, Jr.’s first touchdown, linebacker Brian Orakpo 

intercepted Bears quarterback Jay Cutler and returned it 29 yards for a touchdown.

• The interception and the defensive touchdowns were both career firsts for Orakpo. According to Orakpo, the interception was the first of his life at any level.

• The defensive touchdown was the Redskins’ fourth of the season, matching their full-season total from a year ago.

• The Redskins had a season-high 28 first downs (13 passing, 13 rushing and two via penalty). Washington also posted a season high in third down conversion percentage (53.8), converting on 7-of-17 opportunities.

• Linebacker London Fletcher played in his 246th for the most by a defensive player since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.

• Fletcher started his 205th (Derrick Brooks, 208).

• Defensive lineman Chris Baker registered his first career sack in the second quarter. Nose tackle Barry Cofield added his third sack of the season in the fourth quarter.

• Linebacker Josh Hull, long snapper Kyle Nelson and safety Trenton Robinson, all signed by the team on Tuesday, made their debuts with Washington. 

• The victory was Washington’s first against the NFC North this season.

• The win was Washington’s first at home this season. consecutive regular season game, second-most by an NFL linebacker all-time

What a great post.  I found the stats were really cool.

Except this one:

Griffin III’s two passing touchdowns give him 28 for his career, surpassing Doug Williams (27) for 15th

most in team history.

Something about that is depressing.  Our 2nd year QB is the 15th best we've ever had.  EVER.  RG3 truly is the best thing we've had ever.

HTTR

Archived