Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could The Best Returner Be On Ps. Nick Williams . . .

Newera

You may be right and Nick WIlliams may be the best returner on the team. The problem is that I just don't see our returners having a chance back there. There's easily 4-5 free runners on every punt return. Typically any returner is going to have to make one free runner miss to get a good return. Possibly even 2. But the 4-5 tackler deluge facing our returners is not something that can be overcome by one guy (except Barry Sanders).

I thought I saw Mike Nelms just last week....  fair catches are not optional, they are banned.

Nelms, less the successes mind you.

Did he end up fair catching one, for his redskins career?

I know that he fair caught at least one as I was watching that game.  Nearly feel off my seat.

I just looked it up and he was credited with 2 fair catches as a Redskin, one being unintentional.

http://books.google.com/books?id=W8pvThJ6lRMC&pg=PA320&lpg=PA320&dq=mike+nelms+fair+catch&source=bl&ots=jDhdCCm06f&sig=RIsa_gcxekpLUGH9jmW7fuUhpb4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4x1jUp2FBu-44APZnYGoDA&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=mike%20nelms%20fair%20catch&f=false

I've been saying this about Williams since the start of the season. I watched him in preseason and was glad to see us keep him, but I thought he should have made the team not just the practice squad. He reminds me of a Wes Welker/Julian Edelman, I bet when he gets his chance he will prove me right, I just hope he gets that chance with us. Even if we had great blocking we don't have a legit break away returner.

HAIL!

I don't know if he'd make a difference or not, but it'd be worth a shot. Skye Dawson was intriguing as well as a returner with more speed, but Williams seemed a more consistent receiver.

I know that he fair caught at least one as I was watching that game.  Nearly feel off my seat.

I just looked it up and he was credited with 2 fair catches as a Redskin, one being unintentional.

http://books.google.com/books?id=W8pvThJ6lRMC&pg=PA320&lpg=PA320&dq=mike+nelms+fair+catch&source=bl&ots=jDhdCCm06f&sig=RIsa_gcxekpLUGH9jmW7fuUhpb4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4x1jUp2FBu-44APZnYGoDA&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=mike%20nelms%20fair%20catch&f=false

Haha, 50% of his fair catches were unintentional. Dare I think that is a statistic that can withstand the test of time.

Thanks for sharing. I figured there must have been one somewhere in there, otherwise we would be more likely to hear he NEVER made one.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived