Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could The Best Returner Be On Ps. Nick Williams . . .

Newera

Cooley has been saying for a month that the problem with ST is the scheme.  And he said if he was returning, he would fair catch everything, because nobody is blocking anybody.  

He's been extremely detailed, and very critical of everything on ST. He would know more than I, but he doesn't generally toss around criticisms just because.

I don't think it's the returner either.

I do think that Jason Garrett got it right, that the 'Skins let a lot of their better special teams players go over the off season. The reason for that is the Cap Penalty. And it's rearing it's ugly head all over the place. 

So, the combination of atrocious coaching, bad execution, and lack of players hurts a lot. 

As a college sophomore, his 35.29 kickoff yard/return led the ENTIRE NATION. This move would just make too much sense.

17 returns, 2 TDs, 35.3 per average.

That sounds sexy as hell, but he did go to UConn and those stats probably came against Buffalo :lol:

No offense to KD or anything...

I would be happy to see Nick called up from the minors.

Then again, at 1-4, I am looking for any logical shakeup tried. Moving Morgan from 2WR to PR was not the kind of move I am thinking about. It's clear that Mike is not going to fire an assistant mid season.

I am intrigued at the possibility of a tough slot receiver (help, what is the nickname of that position) upgrade to Moss. I want someone that is physical tried in the mold of a Welker Amendola type. Those guys just kill defenses since they run that little option route over and over. I am open to trying any WR that can make a play 1 on 1 off the line. Sigh. Its Moss's job until he retires. I still prefer Moss deep but whatever.

Speeding of not going deep, I would like to try Robinson at PR. He does not contribute on offense at all. Maybe he has been a decoy but I barely see him on the field, so I doubt it. I had heard that he was having a great camp, probably because full on contact is limited in camp.

Brian Mitchell in post game has said it pretty quickly.  It doesn't matter who's back there to return.  No blocking, no mojo.

Yes.  As did Santana Moss just the other day.  "I've watched from the sidelines and I'll just say if I could make a difference I would be out there."

Yes. As did Santana Moss just the other day. "I've watched from the sidelines and I'll just say if I could make a difference I would be out there."

Yep. Thompson isn't back there now not because he wasn't good at finding lanes and hitting them, but because he was so new at returning he was struggling with making the (correct) decision to just call for a fair catch when there wasn't anything available. Trying to make something happen even when there wasn't anything there.

I would be happy to see Nick called up from the minors.

Then again, at 1-4, I am looking for any logical shakeup tried. Moving Morgan from 2WR to PR was not the kind of move I am thinking about. It's clear that Mike is not going to fire an assistant mid season.

I am intrigued at the possibility of a tough slot receiver (help, what is the nickname of that position) upgrade to Moss. I want someone that is physical tried in the mold of a Welker Amendola type. Those guys just kill defenses since they run that little option route over and over. I am open to trying any WR that can make a play 1 on 1 off the line. Sigh. Its Moss's job until he retires. I still prefer Moss deep but whatever.

Speeding of not going deep, I would like to try Robinson at PR. He does not contribute on offense at all. Maybe he has been a decoy but I barely see him on the field, so I doubt it. I had heard that he was having a great camp, probably because full on contact is limited in camp.

Yep, I've thought the same thing. He very well could be our next Moss. That Cole Beasley kid on Dallas already scares the bejeebus outta me. I fear that some NFL team looking to upgrade their return game (you know, one with a real ST coach) could come along and steal Williams right off our PS roster.

Yep, I've thought the same thing. He very well could be our next Moss. That Cole Beasley kid on Dallas already scares the bejeebus outta me. I fear that some NFL team looking to upgrade their return game (you know, one with a real ST coach) could come along and steal Williams right off our PS roster.

Yep I saw feared Beasley too.

I think coaches and fans (myself leading the charge) have been searching for that big WR. Hankerson, Morgan are our recent tries there. But we have all see little Wes Welker being basically unstoppable for upwards of a decade now. Tough as nails. Winning super bowls. Amendola killed us in St Louis.

Not all WRs are built equally and I for one and am glad to see us getting on board with retaining Nick Williams.  If we lose a few more games, I sure hope we start trying to find our future slot receiver. Nothing at all against Moss, who I feel has largely has not been used to his strengths here, but I want to see new blood start to be groomed, tried and tested. Practice is cheap for a WR. They have no risk of being clobbered running that slant. They need to be game tested.

I'd love to see Williams get a shot.  But he won't.  Probably because he's not a great blocker or something.  Shanny never does anything creative to work towards a player's individual strength--they have to be cogs in his "system".  Well in fairness I guess they did try a few things to cater to Banks that didn't really pan out, but at least they tried.  Probably will never do that again...

I tend to agree Clark, Shanahan appears very rigid in his approach. Williams may struggle with a full play book as a kid. It seems highly unlikely that he gets into a game calling a play he knows, to his strengths. Mike has his idea of how a football player should be, but fact is all players are different.

A guy like Davis, shown up by Reed in practice, has not forgotten how to play football, and likely remains Roberts 3rd best target in the passing game. Yet no matter the failures in our passing game, I do not expect him to be in a pass pattern but once or twice a game until we release him. Because I know its not like Mike to change his offense to accommodate suddenly having 2 great pass catching TE's. He will just bench one instead. What if Davis only practices 1% less hard than Reed. Too bad, he is not practicing as well.

Williams will have to "out practice" from the practice squad, a highly respected and prepared vet like Moss to get a look in the slot. Williams may literally have no chance until Moss retires or gets released. Is that what is best for our team?

Williams will have to "out practice" from the practice squad, a highly respected and prepared vet like Moss to get a look in the slot. Williams may literally have no chance until Moss retires or gets released. Is that what is best for our team?

Cooley said (his radio program is so awesome for these type of nuggets) that the practice squad player he hated the most in his career was Rob Jackson.  Because Rob Jackson went balls out the whole time.  Eventually he was brought up.

I'd love to see this happen to Nick Williams.  But being that Kyle is the "WR guru" it would have to come from him.

I gave Williams crap before the pre-season because he didn't get a lot of looks at UConn and frankly he's compared to Wes Welker because he's a short white guy playing WR.  But even against lesser competition, the ability to find a soft spot in a zone, secure the catch, and advance the football for first downs is invaluable.  There has to be something he can do to contribute to this team.

From an outsider's perspective (haven't listened to Cooley et al on the subject) - it seems the main problem is the players not buying into the system. So often with a new boss, the employees are resistant to change. Doesn't mean the new boss is necessarily wrong, but it takes a certain type of charisma to convince people to to adapt to something new. Here's hoping they try to buy into what Burns is teaching because its going to be a long and frustrating year for ST if they don't.

On the flip side, it's possible Burns is just an idiot that doesn't understand ST, which results in the same failures. The difference is that if the problem is the buying in, things could actually improve THIS year.

I may be way off base, but that's my impression anyway. As many have said, changing the returner constantly ain't gonna cut it.

Yep. Thompson isn't back there now not because he wasn't good at finding lanes and hitting them, but because he was so new at returning he was struggling with making the (correct) decision to just call for a fair catch when there wasn't anything available. Trying to make something happen even when there wasn't anything there.

No how about ppl blocking aand not letting letting one players consistently beat 2 blockers. Mike is dumb as **** anyway. I have not seen MORGAN nor NILES PAUL as the blockers on the gunners. 2 of whom should be the best on this team.

Archived