Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Vs. Bears History, Anecdotes, And Fan Memories

kleese

The wins over the Bears in the 1986 and 1987 playoffs remain as some of my best childhood memories as a Redskins fan.

The ability to beat a dominant team in consecutive years on their turf in the postseason is a testament to Joe Gibbs and the resilience of his units during that great Washington Redskins era.

Thanks for those videos, great stuff. Man, I miss the old CBS intro and Madden/Summerall.

Boy, you said it. The thumbnails that Summerall would do for each team, mixed in with the music and 80s graphics, were great. It was interesting to hear us almost being referred to as a proud team that's in the mix. Now, granted, that's all we were at that point in time (I don't remember if we were the 3 or 4 seed), but it's just odd considering how great we would look 2-3 weeks later in the Super Bowl. 

I guess we were right in the middle of a 10-year run when we were similar to the current Ravens or Steelers. We had continuity, played solid football, and were rarely the clear-cut favorites. But, you knew we'd most likely make the playoffs and be a very tough out once we got there. 

On a side note, the Summerall introduction during our 1991 NFC Championship Game is something I still go back and watch (I still have the original broadcast on VHS). To be transported back to that time is fun. We were awesome and he basically says it. But we were playing against what appeared to be a team of destiny on their Mike Utley crusade. It was very, very well done and built plenty of drama, especially considering how one-sided the game turned out. 

One last edit: It also amazes me how comfortable you could be with a lead in the NFL of the 80s. We scored the game-winning points with 11 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. From that point forward, the Bears kicked one FG. Our defenses from that era are typically overshadowed and deserve more credit, but I can't fathom a 7-point lead holding up that long in today's NFL. 

On a side note, the Summerall introduction during our 1991 NFC Championship Game is something I still go back and watch (I still have the original broadcast on VHS). To be transported back to that time is fun. We were awesome and he basically says it. But we were playing against what appeared to be a team of destiny on their Mike Utley crusade. It was very, very well done and built plenty of drama, especially considering how one-sided the game turned out. 

I can't find that game anywhere.  I've looked for it on DVD a thousand times... oy.  I have the 3 Super Bowls and the 82' NFC Championship Game, but not that one.

I have the 91 NFC Title game on DVD. So funny you mentioned the intro because it was been burned in my memory since the day it aired. It showed the reflection of Redskins players running bouncing of Gibbs' glasses... And then the cut to Erik Kramer of the Lions as they played We Don't Need Another Hero by Tina Turner from the Mad Max movie.... Funny what the brain seals in :)

I can't find that game anywhere.  I've looked for it on DVD a thousand times... oy.  I have the 3 Super Bowls and the 82' NFC Championship Game, but not that one.

Someone posted highlights from the '91 NFCG years ago on YouTube, but the NFL pitched a fit and now it's gone. 

I have the 91 NFC Title game on DVD. So funny you mentioned the intro because it was been burned in my memory since the day it aired. It showed the reflection of Redskins players running bouncing of Gibbs' glasses... And then the cut to Erik Kramer of the Lions as they played We Don't Need Another Hero by Tina Turner from the Mad Max movie.... Funny what the brain seals in :)

Yep.  That was my ringtone the week we played the Lions :lol:

Unfortunately it went off in a meeting and no one got it but me...

EDIT:  BTW.. did you convert your DVD from VHS or did you get it online somewhere?

Yep. That was my ringtone the week we played the Lions :lol:

Unfortunately it went off in a meeting and no one got it but me...

EDIT: BTW.. did you convert your DVD from VHS or did you get it online somewhere?

I have a guy that I simply purchase them from. Just email him and that's that.

Yep! I also loved how he started the Lion summary..."It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

He also mentioned the Skins as a "dream season" or something like that.

I have a guy that I simply purchase them from. Just email him and that's that.

I'll pm you when I get home if that's cool.  Thanks for the info, Ed.  My wife just asked me for my Xmas list yesterday anyways :)

I'll pm you when I get home if that's cool. Thanks for the info, Ed. My wife just asked me for my Xmas list yesterday anyways :)

I'd like to get in on some old Redskins DVDs of old games myself. I'd love the 1983 Raiders 37-35 win and our MNF 48-47 loss to the Packers to name a couple. Also, our three NFCCG wins in 82, 87, and 91.

I'd like to get in on some old Redskins DVDs of old games myself. I'd love the 1983 Raiders 37-35 win and our MNF 48-47 loss to the Packers to name a couple. Also, our three NFCCG wins in 82, 87, and 91.

A few years ago, there was someone who offered in DVD format different Redskin games; I got 3 of them; the 82' NFCC game, Monday Night Miracle, and the thrilla with Taylor returning a blocked FG attempt, subsequential facemask, and winning FG kick with 0:00 left.

I wouldn't mind getting a few more. I have Payton's last game [ 87' paloff ], 91 NFCC game, and others, but they're on Beta. Yes, BETA.

Archived