Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

La Times: Colts' Jim Irsay Implies One Championship Under Peyton Manning Wasn't Good Enough

Boss_Hogg

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-jim-irsay-peyton-manning-andrew-luck-20131015,0,7998552.story#axzz2htcFC4Ot

Irsay seems to imply in a recent interview with USA Today that the relative lack of postseason success had something to do with the Colts' 2012 decision to draft Andrew Luck and part ways with Manning, who had missed the 2011 season after having neck surgery four times.

"We've changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one of these," Irsay said, displaying the Super Bowl XLI championship ring on his right hand.

"Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these," Irsay said, flashing his Super Bowl ring once again. "Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated.

"You make the playoffs 11 times, and you're out in the first round seven out of 11 times. You love to have the 'Star Wars' numbers from Peyton and Marvin [Harrison] and Reggie [Wayne]. Mostly, you love this."

Again, he showed the ring on his right hand.

-------

What an asshole. Never liked that guy at all. I think it's funny he gave Laron Landry a four-year, $24 million contract, with $14 million guaranteed yet Dirty has missed the last four games due to a "leg" injury.

And it's starting to look like the Browns fleeced the Colts in that T-Rich trade.

Irsay makes me appreciate Dan Snyder more.

The thing is, as big of an A-hole as he is, I don't think he's wrong.

You take possibly the great QB of all time (according to others, never me) and give him not one, but TWO HOF receivers, not one, but FOUR 1st round pick running backs (of which one if a HOFer and one is very, very close) and one of the best lines of the decade, and a highly respected defensive "mastermind" of a coach, and you only manage to carve out one Superbowl against a Rex Grossman led Bears?

I think it's deplorable for an owner to say this publicly. But if I were Irsay, I would absolutely feel this way. And I would make sure my new GM and new HC new that if Andrew Luck is anywhere near Peyton's level, multiple rings are expected. After all, not one of us would be satisfied if RG3s entire career went by with all of Peyton's gaudy numbers and a single ring.

Hell, the Bucks accidentally stumbled into a Superbowl ring. The Rams stumbled into a Superbowl win. If they don't back it up soon, the Saints and the Packers will have stumbled themselves into a Superbowl win.

By stumble I don't mean to imply they were bad. I just mean they had good QBs (the latter three great QBs) who put it all together and won a ring. For all of Peyton's accomplishments, he hasn't done any more than any of those guys (in terms of what matters to the owner). You think the city of Green Bay isn't disappointed that Favre only got them one ring?

Newsflash:  It's hard to win a Super Bowl, even with the best QB to ever play the game.   

Truth. But you're thinking like a fan, not like a GM. As a fan, the old "Marino vs Elway" debate (or Montana if you prefer) is just that, a debate. We can go around and round on it forever. But as a GM, it's a no brainer. GM's don't give a damn about their QB being statistically best, and I imagine owner's even less so.

What Irsay actually said was "we've changed our model a bit" meaning the way they build their team and the way they do things. As a GM and an owner, you don't want a Marino. You want the talent and the stats sure, but only if they are also delivering the hardware. As a GM or an owner, you'd rather build a team like the 49ers did and come aweay with 2-4 rings vs build around one superstar and hope you manage to grab one along the way. 

I applaud the Colts for changing their model. As a fan, I'd be screaming for them to change it too. They proved over and over that both sides of the ball were built entire around one guy (Manning and Sanders) and neither side was worth a damn without that guy. Dungy, the defensive mastermind, posted horrible defenses without Sanders, and we all saw what happened when Manning didn't play.

Irsay is 100% right and the idea he's taking shots at Manning is ridiculous. Irsay loves Manning and has guarenteed a huge tribute to him at Sundays game. You don't do that at home for an active player about to play AGAINST your team unless you appreciate the guy.

He never said he let Manning go because be only won one SB - that's only regurgitated by those with low reading comprehension and those needing to stir controversy. He said the team changed the "model" and he talks about other aspects of the team like defense. The Colts failed Manning and Irsay knows it. He has tasked the coach and GM not to fail Luck. Pretty simple.

As far as Irsay as an owner, I love him. He could be on twitter a little less, but its not a big deal to me. The guy wants to win badly, he isn't trying to squeak out every dollar he can from the team, he's willing to spend money to get and keep good players, and, most importantly, he hires football people and lets them do their job. Whats not to like? I like that he's accessible to the fans and that I know what his vision for the team is. I like that he comes out and says the team needs to protect Luck better or that 1 title after the having the GOAT isn't good enough. He's right!

Only those involved in the day to day grind of the NFL really know how ridiculously hard it is to win a Superbowl.  Irsay has never done anything hard in his life other than being born with the last name Irsay.  He was born on third base and acts like he hit a triple.  While what he is saying has a ring of truth to it, it is extremely poor for him to speak of it now when he could have hever in his wildest dreams do anything in life to the level that Peyton Manning plays professional football.

Good luck to anyone facing the Patriots/Steelers in the '00s. That's basically what it boiled down to. For much of his career, that defense was complete and utter garbage. Yeah, Peyton didn't always play great in the postseason, but it's about more than just him. The blueprint to stop postseason Peyton was to control the ball on offense, limiting his possessions, clamping down between the 20's, and taking advantage of a soft defense and special teams.

Their performance throughout that decade had just as much to do with the way the team was constructed as it did with Peyton. And on top of that, as great a receiver as Marvin Harrison was (I'd put him in the top 5) because of his size, he was easy to bully at times, and get taken out of the game. Their special teams was horrible. Absolutely horrible. When you have to rely on your HOF QB to throw for 400 yds and 3td's every game to win, that should tell you something. They should be glad that they got that one. It's hard to get. Irsay can mention the Giants, Ravens, and Patriots all the wants, but most of their postseason success had to do with their defenses. Once Peyton's defense got just a little better, he started going deeper into the playoffs and reaching SB's.

Peyton Manning played a huge role in turning the Colts from an awful team into a great one and there is no argument otherwise.

Irsay should be thankful every day for Peyton Manning as the Colts would likely still be toiling at the bottom of the NFL today.

However of course the Colts should have won more than one Super Bowl during Manning's tenure.

Peyton Manning is one of if not the greatest regular season QB's in NFL history.  But for the most part his play in the postseason has been anything but great.  

The Colts are similar to the Atlanta Braves in being a dominant regular season team, having great records, winning division titles but only one championship.  Atlanta had one of the best rotations in the history of baseball yet it did not translate into multiple championships.  

Fair or not, Peyton Manning has that as part of his legacy.  Last season with Denver only added to it with the Broncos dominating to finish the regular season yet losing their opening playoff game at home to again fall short of expectations. 

This season is going to be huge in determining Peyton's ultimate legacy.  If Denver continues to dominate, Manning sets more records and the Broncos win the SB then Manning's place in history will be secured.

IF Denver falters again in the playoffs with average play by Manning however then this will be another chapter to the failure of Manning to lead his teams to multiple Super Bowl wins...

The Colts from the late 70s to the mid 90s were a joke, so he should know how some other teams feel right now, like us who haven't tasted anything close to a SB in over 20 years.  Be thankful for the seasons you've had since Peyton walked through those doors and don't take anything for granted.  I did when we won in the 80s and now I'm suffering for it.  Irsay should just shut it once and for all and be grateful his teams have been competitive for 15+ years and his prized QB hasn't suffered an injury like ours has.  Once an asshat, always an asshat.

I thought it was inappropriate. Peyton Manning made the Indianapolis Irsays what they are today. As another poster mentioned the Colts were putrid and due to their extremely small market no one gave a crap about them. It's possible the continued failures from the 80's ad 90's may have resulted in another relocation.

After all Lucas Oil Stadium is referred to as the "House Peyton Built."

I thought it was inappropriate. Peyton Manning made the Indianapolis Irsays what they are today. As another poster mentioned the Colts were putrid and due to their extremely small market no one gave a crap about them. It's possible the continued failures from the 80's ad 90's may have resulted in another relocation.

After all Lucas Oil Stadium is referred to as the "House Peyton Built."

Please explain what was inappropriate. Where Irsay said he cut Peyton because he only won one ring? Where Irsay said Peyton couldn't get it done in the playoffs? Where Irsay blamed Peyton for the Colts disappointing playoff runs? Those would be inappropriate. But he didn't say any of that.

If you read the article Irsay says Peyton told him he had to draft Luck, that Irsay knew he couldn't afford to keep Manning and draft Luck and rebuild the team, that its worked out the way both he and Peyton wanted (Peyton has a chance for another SB and the Colts are rebuilding), and that this time they are changing their model. The last statement is what has everyone (that doesn't pay attention to what was said or that needs to drum up controversy) up in arms. Irsay says they are changing the model to try to win more than one SB. He then refers to the Pats, Steelers, and Giants winning multiple SBs with more complete teams. He says he told his new coach and GM that he wanted to build a complete team. What in the world is inappropriate about that?

Please explain what was inappropriate. Where Irsay said he cut Peyton because he only won one ring? Where Irsay said Peyton couldn't get it done in the playoffs? Where Irsay blamed Peyton for the Colts disappointing playoff runs? Those would be inappropriate. But he didn't say any of that.

If you read the article Irsay says Peyton told him he had to draft Luck, that Irsay knew he couldn't afford to keep Manning and draft Luck and rebuild the team, that its worked out the way both he and Peyton wanted (Peyton has a chance for another SB and the Colts are rebuilding), and that this time they are changing their model. The last statement is what has everyone (that doesn't pay attention to what was said or that needs to drum up controversy) up in arms. Irsay says they are changing the model to try to win more than one SB. He then refers to the Pats, Steelers, and Giants winning multiple SBs with more complete teams. He says he told his new coach and GM that he wanted to build a complete team. What in the world is inappropriate about that?

Maybe he just should've kept his mouth shut either way...

Maybe he just should've kept his mouth shut either way...

Understood - no players, coaches, owners, etc should say anything lest someone misrepresent their words. God forbid Irsay talk about a tough decision, why he made it, and his plans for his team.

Because without Peyton the Indianapolis Irsays would be a nothing team like the Rams. See my original post.

Because without Peyton the Indianapolis Irsays would be a nothing team like the Rams. See my original post.

Ok - so what? Have you watched any of the video? Irsay is nothing but complimentary of Peyton. Hell, some people were criticizing his decision to honor Peyton before Sundays game. Now he doesn't appreciate what Peyton has meant to the team? BS. Nothing but typical media created controversy. Irsay and Manning have had the cleanest split possible for a player of that caliber. I'm happy with the team, the owner, and the direction of the franchise. And, like the vast majority of Colts fans, I'lll root for Peyton anytime he's not playing the Colts. Anyone that wants to participate in the media created controversy or just engaged in some Irsay hate is certainly free to continue. You'd just like them to do more than react to the media's angled snippets. To listen to what Irsay says. But that's usually to much to ask.

Ok - so what? Have you watched any of the video? Irsay is nothing but complimentary of Peyton. Hell, some people were criticizing his decision to honor Peyton before Sundays game. Now he doesn't appreciate what Peyton has meant to the team? BS. Nothing but typical media created controversy. Irsay and Manning have had the cleanest split possible for a player of that caliber. I'm happy with the team, the owner, and the direction of the franchise. And, like the vast majority of Colts fans, I'lll root for Peyton anytime he's not playing the Colts. Anyone that wants to participate in the media created controversy or just engaged in some Irsay hate is certainly free to continue. You'd just like them to do more than react to the media's angled snippets. To listen to what Irsay says. But that's usually to much to ask.

I believe it's true that Irsay wasn't trying to put down/insult P. Manning.

However, he just didn't say what he wanted to say well, leaving too much room for interpretation.

Maybe he just needs to stick to the abbreviated dialogue of twitter. :)

Truth. But you're thinking like a fan, not like a GM. As a fan, the old "Marino vs Elway" debate (or Montana if you prefer) is just that, a debate. We can go around and round on it forever. But as a GM, it's a no brainer. GM's don't give a damn about their QB being statistically best, and I imagine owner's even less so.

What Irsay actually said was "we've changed our model a bit" meaning the way they build their team and the way they do things. As a GM and an owner, you don't want a Marino. You want the talent and the stats sure, but only if they are also delivering the hardware. As a GM or an owner, you'd rather build a team like the 49ers did and come aweay with 2-4 rings vs build around one superstar and hope you manage to grab one along the way. 

I applaud the Colts for changing their model. As a fan, I'd be screaming for them to change it too. They proved over and over that both sides of the ball were built entire around one guy (Manning and Sanders) and neither side was worth a damn without that guy. Dungy, the defensive mastermind, posted horrible defenses without Sanders, and we all saw what happened when Manning didn't play.

For a very long time Elway didn't have any of those rings eithers.  And he has one more humiliating loss than he does ring.  So if you look at it closely, you need to look away from the guys putting up incredible numbers and look at the other guys to see what's missing.  The Colts were missing something while Peyton Manning was at QB, if they don't identify that then they'll have the same problem with Luck

Understood - no players, coaches, owners, etc should say anything lest someone misrepresent their words. God forbid Irsay talk about a tough decision, why he made it, and his plans for his team.

You can get upset all you want but it's the truth. He may have meant well but look at the outcome. All he had to say was "Peyton's time here was amazing and we wish him the best". Nothing more, nothing less. However the foolish drunk had to make it about him, the way he always does.

Archived