Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Case Of The Can't Get Rights

804_SKINS

I rarely post on here, but tonight I wanted to speak my mind. The 2012 Washington Redskins reached the lowest of lows at the week 9 mark of last season. They lost their 3rd consecutive game and wound up being 3-6 at the bye. The team couldn't buy a break. They blew a 21-3 point lead against the Rams in week 2, lost RGIII to a concussion against the Falcons in week 5, blew a go ahead touchdown in the 4th quarter with under 2 minutes to go against the Giants in week 7, got it taken to them by the Steelers in week 8, and didn't show up for what was deemed a must win against the Panthers in week 9. The 2013 Redskins have a similar case of the can't get rights; however, the light switch of the 2012 NFC East Champs was turned on in week 11 and the Redskins turned the corner. The question is when, if ever, will the 2013 Redskins turn the corner and play up to their capability? For this to happen, all 3 phases need to improve drastically. Penalties and turnovers need to be diminished from a lot to a little. The fire from last season is gone. It is time to bring the will to win back to the Washington Redskins. Before you jump ship, just remember that this team has an enormous amount of potential to make something happen this year. They have played very undisciplined, lackluster football to this point and their record shows it. Have faith Redskins Nation. The only direction to go from here is up.

HTTR

If you think this is rock bottom...

Rock bottom would be what New York is experiencing (oh, **** John Mara).  We still have a bit further to fall.  Unlike last year, this team likely won't get off the canvas. 

I think the team believed the hype in the offseason (especially RGIII), and thought teams were going to lay down again.  Our opponents spent the offseason trying to find answers for the RO, and our coaching staff seems not to have even put in perfunctory work trying to anticipate those answers, much less counter them.  The coaching staff bears responsibility for that. 

I played on bad high school football teams, and the one constant was that the coaches had no idea how to maximize the talent and cover deficiencies.  Now, the NFL is light years ahead of HS football, but its interesting in the parallels.  Why is it players like Pashos and Trueblood are starting on their new teams, and playing better than our linemen?  That is coaching.  MS wanted to keep his boy Polumbus.

WR's dropping passes? You obviously can't bench struggling players, we'll hurt their fweelings.  Calling screen plays with regularity on 3rd and long? It worked once, so it must be effective.  Opposing teams can predict what we will call in a given situation.  hell, when I watch games, I call the plays out before we run them (on obvious situations).  The stretch running game isn't working? Lets call it 4 times in a row.  Morris is getting his groove? We can't have that, let's throw it 10 times in a row.  Opponents in the red zone? Time to have Dhall and co. play 10-15 yards deep, we have to eliminate the deep ball, you know.  We just sacked Tony Romo sits to pee for 11? Time to play zone on the next 3 plays and rush 3. 

Coaching first.  The players we have will rise to the level of their leaders.  But the lightswitch has been disabled by Mike Shanahan and company.

Im still sayin it mikes stubborness to let kyle design and run the offense. I wish mike would let kyle runa high tempo high risk offense. THis team is not ready or built for a systematic approach. Rg3 is not ready to be a pocket passer so we r gonna have to ne creative. The time management is a perfect example of too many ppl involved

Notice how RG3 kept throwing in the middle? The wideouts aren't getting any separation on the sides, leaving Garcon to do all the nasty work in the middle, where he's an obvious mismatch for linebackers and most nickelbacks. But he's not a deep threat.

The Skins need a deep threat to stretch the field. Defenses only need to crowd near the Skins' LOS to win games - where Morris, Garcon, and RG3 do the most damage. They're not afraid of being burned by Hankerson or Robinson.

I think Mike Shanahan is breaking his own rule.  He says the best player will play.  Now there's no doubt that RG3 has a ton of talent and upside, but when you remove the zone read option, this also minimizes griffin's effectiveness and understanding of the system.  Kirk Cousins, at this juncture, more than likely has a better feel for what the coaches are trying to implement.  I'm not saying Cousins is the better player or has more talent, but right now, he probably has more knowledge of this system.  Robert is improving weekly, but it's like taking baby steps while the season is slipping away.  I think we should put Cousins in when Griffin can't get the job done, but knowing the Shanahan's, they will watch everything implode before making the switch. 

I think Mike Shanahan is breaking his own rule.  He says the best player will play.  Now there's no doubt that RG3 has a ton of talent and upside, but when you remove the zone read option, this also minimizes griffin's effectiveness and understanding of the system.  Kirk Cousins, at this juncture, more than likely has a better feel for what the coaches are trying to implement.  I'm not saying Cousins is the better player or has more talent, but right now, he probably has more knowledge of this system.  Robert is improving weekly, but it's like taking baby steps while the season is slipping away.  I think we should put Cousins in when Griffin can't get the job done, but knowing the Shanahan's, they will watch everything implode before making the switch.

You put Cousins in, that's WILL BE a disaster.

You put Cousins in, that's WILL BE a disaster.

We're already viewing a disaster in progress.  Our record is 1-4 and we can not score.  What are we waiting for?  RG3 said that he feels great physically, so it should be obvious that something else must be wrong.  It's no longer about him missing the pre-season after five regular season games under his belt.  He has no answers.

It's not that Griffin's playing poorly, it's not that the receiver's can't catch, it's not that the o-line sucks, it's just that everyone needs to do their job.

Penalties, tackling, missing assignments, catching, blocking, poor mechanics, etc., etc. - just do your damn job people.

Of course the coaching (across the board) could use a swift kick in the rear, but the players certainly need to step up.

We're already viewing a disaster in progress.  Our record is 1-4 and we can not score.  What are we waiting for?  RG3 said that he feels great physically, so it should be obvious that something else must be wrong.  It's no longer about him missing the pre-season after five regular season games under his belt.  He has no answers.

He's in his second year. We'll just have to take our lumps with the guy we drafted 2 overall. Plus, do you really want to start a QB controversy and lose RGIII for good?

lets back up here! Did you see the stats from Sundays game? The Skins moved the ball, right? Yes! The problem is that they consistently lose the battle of first down. The offense is always in 2nd and long yardage. So, what does the defense think? They know it will be a passing down. Too many mistakes. Way too many!

When Robert is a threat again, things will open up. Defenses will not blitz like they have been. Robert could have rushed for 200yds, Sunday night. But he decided to hold on to the ball.

What's wrong is that our opponents are rushing 4 and RG3 has about half a second to throw before he is crushed.  Give Manning the same time and he would seem quite mortal.  I recall the good old days of the Hogs when Rypien could have cooked some burgers and drank a beer back there he had so long to throw.

Dallas made fools of our front line with a bunch of off-the-street rejects.

He's in his second year. We'll just have to take our lumps with the guy we drafted 2 overall. Plus, do you really want to start a QB controversy and lose RGIII for good?

Are you thinking this is just a sophomore slump?  We've been taking our lumps, but should we sacrifice the entire season?  We're almost there already.  We need a spark, any spark.  Start griffin, but if he can't get us going, put Cousins in to start the second half at least.   

We don't need to worry about a QB controversy, we need to find a way to win, period!  Whatever it takes.  Let the best player play.

It's not that Griffin's playing poorly, it's not that the receiver's can't catch, it's not that the o-line sucks, it's just that everyone needs to do their job.

Penalties, tackling, missing assignments, catching, blocking, poor mechanics, etc., etc. - just do your damn job people.

Of course the coaching (across the board) could use a swift kick in the rear, but the players certainly need to step up.

What's wrong is that our opponents are rushing 4 and RG3 has about half a second to throw before he is crushed.  Give Manning the same time and he would seem quite mortal.  I recall the good old days of the Hogs when Rypien could have cooked some burgers and drank a beer back there he had so long to throw.

RG3 has been the most blitzed QB in the league. Why? DC aren't stupid. Robert is coming off knee surgery and hasn't been as mobile. Are you serious? And last year, Robert was the least blitzed. Why? When he becomes a threat with his legs again, teams will back off. So, this "opponents are rushing 4" is crap. That is not true.

Are you thinking this is just a sophomore slump?  We've been taking our lumps, but should we sacrifice the entire season?  We're almost there already.  We need a spark, any spark.  Start griffin, but if he can't get us going, put Cousins in to start the second half at least.   

We don't need to worry about a QB controversy, we need to find a way to win, period!  Whatever it takes.  Let the best player play.

yeah okay

lets back up here! Did you see the stats from Sundays game? The Skins moved the ball, right? Yes! The problem is that they consistently lose the battle of first down. The offense is always in 2nd and long yardage. So, what does the defense think? They know it will be a passing down. Too many mistakes. Way too many!

When Robert is a threat again, things will open up. Defenses will not blitz like they have been. Robert could have rushed for 200yds, Sunday night. But he decided to hold on to the ball.

Stats don't score points and they don't win games.

Defensive coordinators have learned how to stop the zone read.  If that's all you got, you're in big trouble.  We no longer have that element of surprise working in our favor, but worse yet, is that Griffin has not developed into a pocket passer yet.  That takes time, but Cousins is already a good pocket passer and he also goes through his progressions better than Griffin.  Sometimes the truth hurts, but lets face it, Griffin is now way behind Cousins and no wishful thinking is going to change that.  It's going to take time for Griffin to develop in the pocket and if the coaching staff refuses to see the light, it may end up costing them their jobs.

Are you thinking this is just a sophomore slump?  We've been taking our lumps, but should we sacrifice the entire season?  We're almost there already.  We need a spark, any spark.  Start griffin, but if he can't get us going, put Cousins in to start the second half at least.    We don't need to worry about a QB controversy, we need to find a way to win, period!  Whatever it takes.  Let the best player play.

Was Peyton Manning or Troy Aikman or any other high drafted QB ever benched this fast? What if you put in Cousin and we get the same results? You think RGIII and Shanahan's relationship was brittle before, you ain't seen.nothing yet. Plus, I wouldn't want RGIII to have to constantly look over his shoulder after every bad outing.

Defensive coordinators have learned how to stop the zone read.  If that's all you got, you're in big trouble.  We no longer have that element of surprise working in our favor, but worse yet, is that Griffin has not developed into a pocket passer yet.  That takes time, but Cousins is already a good pocket passer and he also goes through his progressions better than Griffin.  Sometimes the truth hurts, but lets face it, Griffin is now way behind Cousins and no wishful thinking is going to change that.  It's going to take time for Griffin to develop in the pocket and if the coaching staff refuses to see the light, it may end up costing them their jobs.

Cousins played good, but let's not act as if he lit it up last year. He had a chance to be a Redskins legend in the playoffs last year. What happened?

Stats don't score points and they don't win games.

Didn't say they did. The Skins did NOT EXECUTE!!!

Cousins would have been sacked 10 times Sunday night. Griffin is way behind Cousins? Not worth answering. LOL! Costing jobs? Lord!

I don't necessarily think RG III needs a benching. I think the issues are far beyond one player.

The team plays undisciplined, evident by the many penalties, missed tackles, and blown assignments.

The special teams are atrocious and it is not all talent and execution. Whatever they are being told from a coaching perspective is clearly not working.

I think that RG & the scheme last year masked some of the oline deficiencies that are evident this year.

There is little to no adjustments made by the coaching staff. The fact that they can't put a better game plan in place when they have 2 weeks to prepare is an issue. Not saying they should have won just that they seemed very predictable.

Expectations for this season were set very high by everyone which makes all of this sting even more.

There are a lot of things to fix and it won't get done over night. I just hope they can get a little bit of the magic they had last year back and finish strong. As crazy as it is they are still alive in this not so good division-HTTR

Was Peyton Manning or Troy Aikman or any other high drafted QB ever benched this fast? What if you put in Cousin and we get the same results? You think RGIII and Shanahan's relationship was brittle before, you ain't seen.nothing yet. Plus, I wouldn't want RGIII to have to constantly look over his shoulder after every bad outing.

Cousins played good, but let's not act as if he lit it up last year. He had a chance to be a Redskins legend in the playoffs last year. What happened?

How about Aaron Rogers?  He stayed on the bench for the first 2 or 3 years.  He turned out pretty darn good, didn't he?  

These are grown men we're talking about, so there should be no worrying about relationships and hurt feelings.  Shanahan's rule is the best player plays, so he should stick to that, if not, he has double standards. 

You can still start Griffin every week, but if it's not working in the game I'd be looking for the hot hand.  I'd also start giving Cousins more reps in practice as well.

I don't necessarily think RG III needs a benching. I think the issues are far beyond one player.The team plays undisciplined, evident by the many penalties, missed tackles, and blown assignments.The special teams are atrocious and it is not all talent and execution. Whatever they are being told from a coaching perspective is clearly not working.I think that RG & the scheme last year masked some of the oline deficiencies that are evident this year.There is little to no adjustments made by the coaching staff. The fact that they can't put a better game plan in place when they have 2 weeks to prepare is an issue. Not saying they should have won just that they seemed very predictable.Expectations for this season were set very high by everyone which makes all of this sting even more.There are a lot of things to fix and it won't get done over night. I just hope they can get a little bit of the magic they had last year back and finish strong. As crazy as it is they are still alive in this not so good division-HTTR

You bring up a very good point about predictability. Is it me or do we always seem.to wind up with these coaches that run these predictable offenses?

And can we, for once, draft a STUD WR?

How about Aaron Rogers?  He stayed on the bench for the first 2 or 3 years.  He turned out pretty darn good, didn't he?   These are grown men we're talking about, so there should be no worrying about relationships and hurt feelings.  Shanahan's rule is the best player plays, so he should stick to that, if not, he has double standards.  You can still start Griffin every week, but if it's not working in the game I'd be looking for the hot hand.  I'd also start giving Cousins more reps in practice as well.

And who exactly was Aaron Rodgers playing behind those first 2 or 3 seasons? I'll give you a clue. He was a whole lot better than Rex Grossman.

I don't necessarily think RG III needs a benching. I think the issues are far beyond one player.

The team plays undisciplined, evident by the many penalties, missed tackles, and blown assignments.

The special teams are atrocious and it is not all talent and execution. Whatever they are being told from a coaching perspective is clearly not working.

I think that RG & the scheme last year masked some of the oline deficiencies that are evident this year.

There is little to no adjustments made by the coaching staff. The fact that they can't put a better game plan in place when they have 2 weeks to prepare is an issue. Not saying they should have won just that they seemed very predictable.

Expectations for this season were set very high by everyone which makes all of this sting even more.

There are a lot of things to fix and it won't get done over night. I just hope they can get a little bit of the magic they had last year back and finish strong. As crazy as it is they are still alive in this not so good division-HTTR

I agree. But RG3 hasn't been any type of threat with his feet until Sunday night. And should have won the game. But mistakes killed them.

Cousins got very little opportunity.  He played cold in the playoffs for what, maybe 5 minutes?  And granted, he wasn't as good of a fit in last seasons zone read, but last year is gone and there is much less zone read now, with much more pocket passing.  This favors Cousins at this point.  I'm still a huge Griffin fan, but he is behind now.  I'm not opposed to keep starting him, but if it's not working, give the team another chance to win.  Believe me, I have not turned on Griffin.  None of this is his fault, he just needs more time to develop and to learn the rest of the system.

Are we still arguing this crap, that RGIII should be benched and Cousins put in?

I'm glad none of us coach this team, we'd have been relegated to the UFL by now (is that even still functioning?).

If RGIII threw 4 picks a game, and had a sub-40% completion percentage, then yeah, bench him.  But his rating is in the mid-80s, not at the Olympian heights of last year, but defnitely better than anything John Beck or Rex Grossman were capable of doing. 

He is a young, extremely talented qb who's on the schneid, and coming off a grievous injury.  I don't know what to do to wake him up, but I have suggestions- to the team, PLAY BETTER.  To the coaches: COACH BETTER or QUIT!

I fear we're complicit in doing a 'Patrick Ramsey' on him.  He is getting beaten up back there, or when given some time to throw, he's either rushed or his receivers aren't getting open/dropping everything.  He can't yet run like he used to, if ever again.  And the fanbase is turning on him, like we usually do.

Look, I am not a eternally patient fan.  I've considered giving up on football this season several times in the past few weeks.  But even I have enough patience to give the kid more than 5 weeks to right the ship.  He shouldn't even be on the hot seat if we flame out to 1-15, if he continues to put up respectable numbers.  Now, if descends to Beckian levels, its a different story.  He has a long way to go before that!

The infernal hype machine probably didn't help also.  Subway, ESPN, etc probably had him thinking his **** didn't stink. 

hopefully, a smart kid like Robert will get the message on this experience, that when everybody is tooting your horn, you have to work HARD to maintain your humility.  Like when the Romans had a triumph, and a slave would stand behind the hero, whispering in his ear "Remember thou art mortal, all glory is fleeting".  Or as Flavor Flav said, "Don't Believe the Hype".

Archived