Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Rgiii Ever Be As Good As 2012?

Paleriders

What blows my mind is that he didn't make those mental mistakes as a rookie. In terms of passing, he's probably made more bad decisions this year than he did all of last season.

It shouldn't be surprising. Last year we showed from the start that Griff was always a threat to take off out of the pocket. This prevented teams from sending pressure because it would lead to big plays. I believe we were the least blitzed team in the league. This year? Defenses know they can expect him to be in the pocket. He played a little jumpy in the second half against Dallas because of how much pressure there was. His mechanics also have been suffering under duress (like they do with all QBs). Add all that to the fact that we have 1, maybe 2 players on offense that can be relied on to be consistently open, and you'll have a QB that looks indecisive and forces throws more often than he should.

What blows my mind is that he didn't make those mental mistakes as a rookie. In terms of passing, he's probably made more bad decisions this year than he did all of last season.

Okay, he may be pressing. He's under a lot of pressure. He needs to relax.

Yes, he will be better. We just have to be patient.

Absolutely! But thats the problem with fans.

He's never going to be the guy that he was last year IF you want him playing 13+ games a year.

You just can't play that way and stay healthy.

The question is can be as good or better while depending on his ability to run less.

I don't know.

Lol...all of the stuff that you mentioned is completely independent of anything that occurs on the field of play and has nothing to do with how RG has performed thus far.

How do you figure?  Spend less time drawing attention to yourself and more time working at becoming a better QB.  Seems pretty straightforward to me.

He looked much better vs. Dallas. He has to be a threat to run if he is going to be effective.

My worries are the current coaching staff - if there is indeed a rift with the father/son (such a bad way to run things) then maybe a coaching change should be made. RG3 is the future of the franchise, not kyle and daddy.

Oline - without good protection he just wont have the time to make any progress. When he wasnt running, he was under a ton of pressure and Dallas didnt even have their best pass rusher in there for most of the game and when he was he wasnt 100% and they still played terribly.

How do you figure? Spend less time drawing attention to yourself and more time working at becoming a better QB. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Does the fact that you've been a member here for close to a decade excuse these trollish posts two days after your team defeated ours? I would hope it does not.

I would have to say no.  I am no doctor but I have to agree with other players that have had similar injuries.  Your new 100% may not be the 100% playing ability you once had.  It could be 80%.  I also think the inaccuracy of his throws are due to the way he is planting his injured leg.  His planting ability however, will get better with practice.  Last but not least and this is totally opinionated:  RG3 has not been coached to be a typical NFL profile passer.  We ran a lot of the pistol last year and he continues this year running the offense the majority of the time from the shotgun.  Therefore we kind of lost a year last year coaching him into the league.  Defenses have figured out a lot of the read option plays that we, San Fran, and Seatlle run.    The jury is still out and I do think he is a good player.

His legs look to be back. What made RG3 great last year was his the combination of his unqiue physical talents combined with the read option. We haven't run as much read option last year, so he's been exposed as a mediocre(at best)pocket passer.

We don't want RG3 to be as good as last year. If we want to contend, we need him to be better.

It has nothing to do with him being exposed. He's a tremendous pocket passer but it's obvious the knee injury has him thinking more.  You don't drop from nearly 70% completions because you've been exposed. 

He isn't anywhere near as accurate. He almost never threw this wildly last year. I have no clue as to why.

1. Knee injury

2. OL not giving him a clean pocket nearly as often

3. WRs not beating press man coverage.

I'm no film junkie, and there are a million people who could speak to #3 better than I can, but it looks to me like on top of everything else, our WRs are getting jammed at the line of scrimmage and not beating man coverage.  It throws off the timing.  It gives him a much smaller window to throw to.  All the pressure forces him to get rid of it early without allowing the routes to develop where they need to, and keeps him from having the sort of mechanics you'd like him to have.  It also makes quarterbacks, all quarterbacks, jittery in the pocket.  You make them rush, press, and accuracy suffers. 

But to answer the question, I think the answer is yes.  He will be a better quarterback than he was in 2012.  But not this year.

Does the fact that you've been a member here for close to a decade excuse these trollish posts two days after your team defeated ours? I would hope it does not.

Bud, I've been hard on RGIII since the end of last season (and your owner for the horrible field conditions.  That field was just atrocious).  Call it trolling if you want, but I was actually rooting for the kid last year because I thought he was intelligent, humble, athletic, and, generally, good for the league (and our rivalry).  Now, I think that you can scratch the humble.  The kid has fully bought into the hype that the fans, media, and himself have generated.

In hindsight, I'd wager that the team regrets putting him out there so soon.  If nothing else, you could have showcased Cousins.  Now, you can't.

How do you figure? Spend less time drawing attention to yourself and more time working at becoming a better QB. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

You - or I for that matter - has no idea the amount of time RG spends focusing on honing his craft. The fact that he did some commercials during the off season - just like most every high profile athlete has done - is not a slight on RG's work ethic. The fact that sports media was salivating for RG storylines is not a slight on RG's work ethic.

Everything RG has done to market himself has been done during the offseason. Continuing to propagate this narrative of RG not dedicating himself to his craft absent of any evidence is complete bull****.

Bud, I've been hard on RGIII since the end of last season (and your owner for the horrible field conditions.  That field was just atrocious).  Call it trolling if you want, but I was actually rooting for the kid last year because I thought he was intelligent, humble, athletic, and, generally, good for the league (and our rivalry).  Now, I think that you can scratch the humble.  The kid has fully bought into the hype that the fans, media, and himself have generated.

In hindsight, I'd wager that the team regrets putting him out there so soon.  If nothing else, you could have showcased Cousins.  Now, you can't.

This team wasnt doing anything with cousins in there. He wouldnt have been able to stop A and B gap pressure because that isnt a QBs job. Easy to second guess now but I suppose an angry fans will blow alot of hot air.

I think he will be better, by A LOT. They look to be adjusting the O (playcalling) to keep him in and look to pass first and develop a mindset that running is a last option. Last year it seemed like he was "first read, ...run". He is working on getting over the mental hurdle of the surgery. I have had knee surgery (3 years ago) and I always catch myself questioning if my knee can handle doing something. It just takes time. Along with that, the O-line is not built for a "pocket" QB, the receivers/TE's cannot get separation and it seems like they drop one out of every two balls thrown at them. I think Griff is the LEAST of the problems with this team.

I think that he is going through his rookie season in many ways.

The dual threat and innovative offense last year left teams clueless as to how to stop us. Griffin probably rarely had to go through more than 1 or 2 progressions before finding a WIDE OPEN receiver to throw to. Now, with teams more comfortable defending the read-option and with Griffin using his legs less (and less of threat to kill teams with his legs), he's having to throw to more tightly covered receivers after quicker progressions.

He'll get there, but he will need some time to learn how to play at this level in this type of traditional offense. Ironically, the things that won us games last year may have hampered Griffin's long-term development. Some people argued that last year, but I had my head in the sand!

Bud, I've been hard on RGIII since the end of last season (and your owner for the horrible field conditions. That field was just atrocious). Call it trolling if you want, but I was actually rooting for the kid last year because I thought he was intelligent, humble, athletic, and, generally, good for the league (and our rivalry). Now, I think that you can scratch the humble. The kid has fully bought into the hype that the fans, media, and himself have generated.

In hindsight, I'd wager that the team regrets putting him out there so soon. If nothing else, you could have showcased Cousins. Now, you can't.

Who cares if the guy is humble or not? It has no impact on his play whatsoever. Tom Brady, humble? No. Peyton Manning, humble? No. Kaep, humble? No. Rodgers, Brees, Vick, humble? No. No. No. These are world class athletes, the best in the world....they are going to have egos.

The team put the best QB on the team out there. No, I don't believe that they regret starting RG. To think that KC12 is better than RG is simply off base.

He still has much to learn about playing QB in the league. Can't just make plays with his legs now, has to be able to be a complete QB, which means reading defenses, moving in the pocket, and being able to keep eyes downfield and anticipate receivers getting open.

He is a very talented hard worker, this year its going to be a work in progress, hopefully next year we will see him take steps forward.

RG3 needs to be able to throw the deep ball, he needs WRs who can get open, he needs passing plays where he's not only looking at 1 guy and if he's not there he's ****ed. Our only passing plays over 20 yards seemed to be the same post over the middle to Garcon that fell incomplete a whole bunch. Watch some Baylor 2011 highlights. He threw a ****load of touchdowns on go routes, double move go's, and he can throw a ****ing sweet comeback/hook. None of which we ever run ever.

He'll never be the player from 2012 again, but he can certainly be better than that. I think he needs to be in a different offensive system however.

This is the NFL. Guys aren't wide open that often. You gotta be able to throw guys open, and you gotta be able to read the D and know where to go with the ball based on what you see before you even snap it.

If the primary is open, RG3 can usually hit him, even if he's not wide open(accuracy issues in Dallas not withstanding).

Last year, if the primary was covered, RG3 could scramble around and either hit someone open after scrambling(due to coverage breakdowns), or he could run himself and pick up chunk of yards. The primary was generally open quite often though due to the read option.

This year if the primary isn't open he's panicky. He's so focussed on trying to prove he can be a pocket QB that he's rendering himself worthless.

Let me remind you all of something.

I had to do a similar thing with my wife recently when she got frustrated at our 3 year old for being what she is, a 3 year old. I feel many people here are doing something similar with Griffin, so let me paraphrase what I said to her:

"HE'S A 2ND YEAR QB!"

We knew when we drafted him that he was going to need time to learn how to play the QB position properly at this level, with that there are bound to be hiccups. For as mature and deft as Griffin was last year, a lot of his shortcomings as a pocket QB (along with many of the shortcomings of our overall offense) were masked by the Read Option, and our usage of the Pistol, along with his running ability. Last year Griffin barely lined up under center, this year he's done in quite a bit. It's obvious that he's still learning how to play that game, it's also obvious that he's working on his mechanics and with that there are going to be issues with accuracy. It happens with just about every QB, Griffin is no different. This year, from a pure QB and pocket passer standpoint, is RGIII's true rookie year, last year our scheme allowed him to straddle the line between college offense and NFL offense. It worked well, and we tasted a great deal of success because of it, but we've seen that, as much as we hoped that they wouldn't, defenses learn how to better adjust to the things that RGIII, along with qbs like Kap and WIlson, did to confuse defenses last year. We were spoiled last year, we thought we could keep RGIII in college and defenses wouldn't be able to figure it out ... problem is, it almost got him killed and he tried to play superman because ultimately we relied on him way too much. We must face the reality of the fact that for all of his maturity, for all of his confidence, he's still learning how to play in the higher ranks. However, for as much as people want to imply that Griffin is the only young QB who's going through such a thing, this is simply not true.

Let's look at Colin Kaepernick and Russel WIlson (two guys who are closely compared to him, and two guys many seem to think aren't facing the same learning curve as Griffin):

Colin K. Stats:

CMP ATT YDS  CMP% AVG  TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT

90    161 1,221 55.9    7.58     8    64   5      5     56.0 83.9

Russel W. Stats:

CMP ATT  YDS   CMP% AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR   RAT

97   158 1,254   61.4    7.94   8   55    4      5     60.9   92.6

So how's that compare with Griffin's stats right now?

CMP ATT   YDS   CMP% AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT

125   209 1,448    59.8    6.93   6   44     5     6    30.9  80.4

Not all that different.

How about compared to the wunderkind Andrew Luck? You know, the guy who was most NFL ready coming out of college, the next Peyton.

CMP ATT  YDS   CMP% AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT

115   186 1,346   61.8    7.24   7   73     3    2     73.0  89.6

Aside from Keapernick and his 56% completion rate, they've all got similar receiving numbers, similar yards, Griffin's definitely throwing more INTs in relation to TDs, but just from a numbers standpoint, looks like all these guys are still learning.

Now I know, numbers don't tell the entire story, and those other guys have still managed to win despite their statistical struggles, but I'm pretty sure those guys all have better O-lines, and better defenses at the very least. I'd also venture to bet that 2/3's of those guys have better run games, and 100% of them aren't working their way back from a pretty bad injury.

All-in-all, I think we need to remember that with a young QB patience is always a virtue, and while Griff made us jizz with joy last year, he's still going to need time to get it right. Unfortunately the fact that our defense (aside from last night) hasn't been able to stop anyone, our special teams are putrid, and our offensive talent hasn't really made Griffin's life any easier. If anything I think this year shows just why Griffin deserved OROY last year, our team was carried on his back for most of last year, this year was the year the other guys were supposed to return the favor, so far they haven't.

Perhaps if he spent less time doing commercials, filming his recovery, fighting with the coaching staff, scheduling his press conferences, and showing off his drop-kicking skills in pre-game warmups and, instead, spent time focusing on his craft, he might actually get better.

Until he shows some humility, I would say that he has peaked.

Well this is pretty pathetic and a poorly formed point none the less. It's not like he is skipping practice and team meetings to go shoot GQ spreads or Adidas campaigns. He was already in rehab, somebody filming him took nothing away. Press conferences aren't scheduled by him etc. Ever watched Lebron James warm up for a basketball game lol  

His off the field activities take time away from his family and personal life not his football career. Is he allowed to spend time with his family too or could that time also be better used focusing on his craft?

RG3 needs to be able to throw the deep ball, he needs WRs who can get open, he needs passing plays where he's not only looking at 1 guy and if he's not there he's ****ed. Our only passing plays over 20 yards seemed to be the same post over the middle to Garcon that fell incomplete a whole bunch. Watch some Baylor 2011 highlights. He threw a ****load of touchdowns on go routes, double move go's, and he can throw a ****ing sweet comeback/hook. None of which we ever run ever.

He'll never be the player from 2012 again, but he can certainly be better than that. I think he needs to be in a different offensive system however.

I agree. Our route trees stink. I'm tired of seeing the same handful of routes and giving RG3 a couple of receiving threats and if covered, make magic happen. He excelled at the deep ball in college and we never throw it except on that fake reverse fly route which takes one of the few WRs we have to send out for Griffin and sends him behind the line of scrimmage instead. 

Archived