Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Rgiii Ever Be As Good As 2012?

Paleriders

I don't post very often so I apologize if my search capability leaves this post irrelevant.

I was talking to several friends since the beginning of this season who are all different NFC east fans, albeit rational ones, about RGIII. They asked me if I thought he would ever return to his pre injury form and I don't think he will. I am not overreacting to yesterday or the season, nor am I trying to be inflammatory.

I hate the polls on this site so I avoided doing another poll. I honestly wanted to know if folks think he will ever scare defenses like he did? Will he win one Super Bowl?

I am not sure but I don't think he will. If I am wrong I will be the first to admit it.

I cheer for him and wish him the best. I just fear we have seen his best.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen anything close to his best yet.  He has a long way to develop as a passer.

As for his running, it will come back.  After a serious injury like he had, its impossible not to be apprehensive.  Football is a tough sport - even with the brace, if he gets hit with his leg in the wrong position, or even makes a hard cut with his knee in the wrong position, he could re-injure the knee.  It will be a while before he does things totally instinctively again.

Most players rely largely on athletic ability when they're younger and use more insight and finesse as they mature.  Guys like Peyton Manning succeed in their later 30s by just being smarter than everyone else.  He's an outlier, of course, but there is no reason that RG3 shouldn't be more successful 10 years from now than he was last year.  Maybe when he's 35, he'll figure out how to slide.

Yes he will, despite all the doom and gloom forecasting going on. There's more to the QB position than physical ability and RGIII missed a valuable chunk of off-season work. He may be healthy but it's more than just being healthy, it's still going to take time and fans need to realize this and try to be a bit more patient. He's slowly but surely getting his game back, week by week a new wrinkle is unveiled. People have to understand this isn't a RB coming back from an ACL injury, it's an QB and he has so much more responsibility as the field general. I'm willing to bet next week against the bears you'll see even more of the 12' Griffin and fans will start to realize getting all up in arms was much ado about nothing.

RG3 will be fine......let him go through the tough times....if he had struggled like this last year...nobody will be saying all this nonsense...they will say he is a rookie .....he set the limit so high ...there is no going low according to some.....he has no room to struggle....it only give the naysayers an opportunity to drool over luck...........and quickly call rg3 a bust....

Some guy posted this in a comment on an article....

Learned so much from reading these. Folks are in two distinct camps; Bob/Rob/Robert/Griffin is responsible for either List A or List B
List A
1) -Several poor passes; 246 passing yards
2) -1 interceptions ,1 Unrecovered fumble (YTD interceptions: Griffin, Brees-5, Flacco-7, Rogers & Brady-4 Unrecovered Fumbles: Griffin, Dalton, Stafford-2; P Manning-3; Rodgers, Brees-0
3) - Redskins’ performance in the red zone (0-3)

Or ListB, he's wholly responsible for:
1) -List A
2) -Every play/decision by the Redskins’ special teams.
3) -Every play made by the defense (Griffin proclaimed defense must allow Dwayne Harris to shine.)
4) -All of those penalties (shame on you Robert!)
5) -Any less than perfect play by Morris, Moss,Forbarth
6) -Dallas’ defense consistently keeping the receivers busy & creating a breakdown in the Redskins’ original plays.
7) -Appearing to be tired in the 4th quarter. (Tired=Disdainful, Uninterested, Aloof)
8) -Accepting money (gasp) for those endorsements (better to wait until he’s 60 for a chance @ those late night life Insurance commercials.)
9) -Articles in every possible media format lauding him as the chosen one able to single-handedly 1) lead the Redskin to the promised land playoffs for the next 20 years; 2) never ever fumble, throw an interception or make a rookie mistake on the field…ever; 3) create an original, politically correct name for the team that would incorporate the old Redskins logos in order for current merchandise to be sold profitably and 4) show the world Dan Snyder is a cuddly lop-eared bunny more interested in providing carrots for unmarried immigrant welfare rabbits than any financial gain. (Go Robert!)
10) -Not being Peyton Manning.
11) -Matt Schaub’s poor performance this year.
12) -The Texans’ decision not to pursue Peyton Manning as a replacement for Schaub.
13) The government shutdown, Obamacare, and all sound bites from Nancy Pelos and Ted Cruz.
14) Any Subway sandwich w/ too much mayo.

For goodness sake . What do you think football players do in the off season, eat cheetos and work on their angry bird skills ?

The doom and gloom around RGIII is getting to epic proportions , the guy was not even sprinting this off season until July - all the time he should have been working on the keen aspects of the game he was selfishly getting use of both of his legs back again through rehab .

Thoughts ? I think people need to stop frosby flopping to conclusions and let things work themselves out

Perhaps if he spent less time doing commercials, filming his recovery, fighting with the coaching staff, scheduling his press conferences, and showing off his drop-kicking skills in pre-game warmups and, instead, spent time focusing on his craft, he might actually get better.

Until he shows some humility, I would say that he has peaked.

Physically I think he's already back to himself.

The greater question is how much does scheme and playcalling play into his success last year and the overall success of a QB?

But to answer your question more directly I think Griff will eventually surpass the QB he was last year.

Hopefully it happens with this regime.

Is he ever going to be a fever dream of what Randall Cunningham would have been had he been capable of completing 70 percent of his passes? I don't know. Probably not. I don't think he nor the team ever wants him playing that fearlessly again, because it's simply not sustainable.

Is he capable of being a 65 percent passer with a cannon arm who will take off for a 25 yard run once a game? I think so. And that will make him a perennial all pro, which is really all we ever wanted in the first place.

The biggest problem for RGIII going forward is going to be the constant comparisons to himself. He's probably never going to be the guy who appeared to be reinventing football last year. If he, the team, and the fans can accept that, there is no reason he can't be one of the guys who gives you a chance to go to The Super Bowl every year.

Physically I think he's already back to himself.

The greater question is how much does scheme and playcalling play into his success last year and the overall success of a QB?

But to answer your question more directly I think Griff will eventually surpass the QB he was last year.

Hopefully it happens with this regime.

Yes. 

When he has a HC and OC on the same page that allow him to be. 

Hail. 

These two answers tie hand in hand with how I feel.

I think the time is short and precious in DC if your last name is Shanahan.  I wish that they could get things worked out, but I don't see 9 wins hiding on the rest of the schedule that we play.

Robert is doing everything that's been asked of him so far this year and I was a little harder on him earlier in the season (and rightfully so) but I think this ultimately comes down to the coaching adjustments that I haven't seen and the freedom at the line of scrimmage that Robert does not have.

His legs look to be back. What made RG3 great last year was his the combination of his unqiue physical talents combined with the read option. We haven't run as much read option last year, so he's been exposed as a mediocre(at best)pocket passer.

We don't want RG3 to be as good as last year. If we want to contend, we need him to be better.

I just hope the guy is humble enough to be accept coaching.  He makes a lot of mental mistakes and his mechanics are terrible at times.  I have no problem with his doing a million commercials but his media shots at the coaching staff, operation patience, and the "I don't get rusty" garbage followed by pretty bad QB broke the untouchable image he had created last season.  RG3 seems like he can be his own worst enemy at times and he's got to find a way to get past that because as a passer he clearly has a lot of room for improvement.  

I'm sure that expectations for him coming off of a knee injury were unfair but I don't think anyone expected things to be as bad as they are.  The honeymoon is clearly over.  

Perhaps if he spent less time doing commercials, filming his recovery, fighting with the coaching staff, scheduling his press conferences, and showing off his drop-kicking skills in pre-game warmups and, instead, spent time focusing on his craft, he might actually get better.

Until he shows some humility, I would say that he has peaked.

Lol...all of the stuff that you mentioned is completely independent of anything that occurs on the field of play and has nothing to do with how RG has performed thus far.

I think he's got too much going on in his head right now. Think the coaches are pressing him hard to stay in the pocket longer and move through all his reads. The past few weeks he's looked a lot better manipulating the pocket and moving around in it. His mechanics sometimes break down a little bit and he doesn't get his feet back set, but he seems to be working on it and improving. The issue I think is that he's being pressed to remain in the pocket, but the interior OL is getting crushed right now. IMO, you want to win now you tell Griff he's free to run outside as much as he wants. I understand that part of being a pro QB is going through all your reads, but his mental clock in the pocket must be all kinds of screwed up right now.

I think he will get back to 100% and fully be capable of doing the things he did last year.  I think the bigger question is will he ever have a HC and OC that will run that style of offense and call those types of plays with the frequency they did last year.  I think its possible the injury cloud hangs over him for the rest of his career or at least the next few years and his coaches could hold him back a little with the play calling.  He will certainly flash those skills from time to time but the offense will probably not be as explosive as it was to end 2012.  One other thing that may factor in is that teams seem not to be running the read option nearly as much and defenses seem to be playing it better this year so it may be that he won't even get the chance to run an offense like last year.

I just hope the guy is humble enough to be accept coaching.  He makes a lot of mental mistakes and his mechanics are terrible at times

What blows my mind is that he didn't make those mental mistakes as a rookie. In terms of passing, he's probably made more bad decisions this year than he did all of last season.

Archived