Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

B Mitchell Just Ripped The Redskins A New One(And I Agree With It)

RichmondRedskin88

I know we like to say our defense did it's part, and in reality it was put in bad situations, but let's not act like Dallas was particularly gunning for yards. They didn't need to. They had td drives of, what, like 3 and 15 yards? When murray went down they became completely one dimensional as well. Our defense didn't lose this one for us, but it's not like they put on a show out there. They couldn't stop drives when it was needed, and the cowboys were content with throwing quick outs all day. The Dallas d clearly outplayed ours despite us putting up more yards.

They did not become 1 dimensional and Murray was getting yards at ease either. Outside of the first play of the game, he went 6 rushed for 18 yards. Randle and tanner combined for 12 carries and 19 yards. The cowboys are a pass first team. They don't rush the ball well and they didn't get much with those quick outs either. The defense gave up 7 points and 138 yards after the first 80 yard drive. I'm sure the cowboys wanted to do more offensively considering te game was within reach until midway in the 4th. Also they did stop the cowboys when needed, you know- that drive after we scored a td and also every drive after the first td in the first half. Our offense couldn't capitalize on long drives and our special teams screwed us.

Money or not, talent or not, staying in your lane is basic special teams discipline. 

That's on coaching.

You don't need tremendous talent for special teams players. if they were getting run over or juked out, then you can talk about talent. But when the opponent finds big lanes to run through, you need discipline. 

~Bang

Actually he did offer up some analysis other then the rant.  He mentioned after Dallas accepted the penality and forced the re-kick, Rocca should of kicked it out of bounds because the coverage unit was winded.  He also brought up hang time which didn't allow the coverage unit to get down field and gave Dallas a better opportunity to set up a return. 

He always does offer up analysis. It's just that some people choose to hear what they want to hear. Right kleese?

Actually he did offer up some analysis other then the rant.  He mentioned after Dallas accepted the penality and forced the re-kick, Rocca should of kicked it out of bounds because the coverage unit was winded.  He also brought up hang time which didn't allow the coverage unit to get down field and gave Dallas a better opportunity to set up a return. 

This is on inexperienced coaching, and i totally agree..   the next kick should have been unreturnable for exactly that reason.

~Bang

Seriously man. We know the impiications of what the penalty has done. But it's becoming FAR too handy an excuse for other ills that have NOTHING to do with the money/ talent level there in.

Hail.

it does when we didn't even have enough money to sign our free agents comfortably. Other teams are able to upgrade a few positions via free agency every year, the skins haven't been able to for 2 years. We're talking about missing out on possibly 2 online starters, a safety, a corner, and resigning Alexander. When you are handcuffed to minimal spending and missing out on 4 potential starters and your veteran special teams captain, then it is an just an excuse but plays a direct role in how the team had to construct its roster. I want to see what shanny can do with a full cap. He shown that he can bring in talent when he has the money to spend (carriker, Bowen, cofield, garçon, Wilson)

I'm not saying coaching isn't at fault because Haslett has his far share of blame as well as our special teams coach.

the cap is part of the problem, sure. 

But the fact is, special teams, kick coverages specifically are about discipline. don't chase willy-nilly,, stay in your lane.

One of the truths of football is that the ball will work it's way to the gaps, and if you leave your lane and open one up, guess where it will go?

This is coverage 101. Discipline.

You don't need great players on special teams, you need players who will stay disciplined and make the play when it comes to them.

Every team in the NFL does it with their least talented and youngest players.

Note the pigeon. he knows how to do it.

~Bang

You know what I love about BMitch more then anything? The fact that he get's under the skin of so many fans even if he is correct way more often then not.

BMitch is bitter and angry and has been since the day he got released. His analysis of the Redskins failures over the past 15 years or so has basically been that they don't try hard enough. His analysis always boils down to playing with heart and hustle, blah blah blah.

Someone needs to remind BMitch that the teams he played on towards the end of his Redskins tenure were awful. I guess they didn't hustle enough?

The Redskins have struggled for 20 years under two owners and multiple coaches--- being negative about them is fine, they deserve it. But BMitch comes off as clownish to me.

Seriously man. We know the impiications of what the penalty has done. But it's becoming FAR too handy an excuse for other ills that have NOTHING to do with the money/ talent level there in. 

Hail. 

Yeah. The cap penalty might be hurting the talent levels and depth. I'll grant that. But with strong coaching, even bad players can be disciplined and play a relatively clean game. Our franchise QB and OC should be able to orchestrate an efficient two-minute drill/hurry up offense despite the cap penalty. Our Super Bowl champion HC should be able to shake off the cap penalty to call timeouts at the right time. Our OC ought to be able to go for the jugular in the red zone a little more even though we were crippled by the cap penalty.

I get it, we are missing out on SOME talent, but let's stop using the crutch. Despite the cap penalty and all other odd circumstances that have us where we are, a $7M-per-year head coach in year 4 should have discipline and team identity instilled in every, single player on the roster. They should all know exactly what to do and how to play a clean game. We can be undermanned without looking as disorganized and confused as we often do.

Someone still needs to explain to me why we can run a gorgeous no-huddle down by 7 with 52 minutes left in the game. Yet, we need to huddle up down by 15 with 5 minutes to go.

Out of likes or I'd tripple like this ^^^^^

Great post TD_w. Just why this is so hard for many to accept without turning those legitimate concerns back on the poster and labeling him/ her a 'hater' is beyond me. 

I swear some folks think they are actually employed by the Redskins and need to defend their 'honor' at ALL costs. 

Hail. 

*Edit* Darn that Holt one! I triple like the post above his.

That said, upon resing the speedsters post, I tripple like Randy too. YAY you guys!

I liked that TD post for you GHH. It was likeable.

If we didnt have the cap penalty, its likely that 18M would not be spent on a single teamer, nor anyone that can improve our questionable time management woes.

I am curious why he has such a limited playbook in hurry up. Did we really have to huddle up to run Helu up the gut 6 minutes left down 15?

Expanding farther, I still want a reporter to ask Mike why he had a clear disdain for hurry up yet preached wanting an uptempo offense. Tail between their legs having a listless offense with no hurry up, they finally add it.

And it has not disappointed at all. What has disappointed, is how little they still use it despite its clear successes. What did we practice in the bye week, holding hands in the huddle?

Sure our hurry up was in a small sample size, but we are hurting to find anything positive this year.

Let's not get distracted here. RGIII coughed up two turnovers: both of them avoidable. Our Defense appears to be gelling--which is good.

Robert had released the ball before Moss slipped.  The INT was not his fault.  If Moss doesn't slip, he is fighting for the ball and maybe getting a TD. 

Someone still needs to explain to me why we can run a gorgeous no-huddle down by 7 with 52 minutes left in the game. Yet, we need to huddle up down by 15 with 5 minutes to go.

This is ****ing infuriating to me. Even Collinsworth called out the Skins, down by 2 scores, for not hustling. For ****s sake, it seems like they O doesn't give two ****s. Clock management is terrible. Terrible, I say. I can understand a 2nd year quarterback having growing pains, lack of talent effecting the result...but issues such as what you wrote above really get under my skin.

Mara didn't coach us to whiff on tackles/ take bad angles/ have no cohesion as a ST collective unit/ commit a multitude of dumbass penalties week in, week our, season in, season out on teams/ constantly punt bad et all. 

Mara and the cap B/S hit this team hard.

But Mara and the cap B/S is getting WAY too convenient an excuse for fundamental piss poor play when lesser talented teams than ourselves look more professional, organised, better disciplined and frankly know what the Hell their doing on Sundays continue to out perform ourselves through better prep. and Coaching. 

That's on US. Not Mara or anybody else. 

Hail.

I am talking about one game. Our team played well, but we didn't have the depth. That is a direct result of not being able to afford a deep roster. This is when you bring up the Mara fine. We've had to start a 6th round rookie who looked terrible, before switchin to a CB playing FS. We don't have a starter, let alone guys to excel at teams.

You've nrver seen me just lay blame to the Mara fine before either. FS is the only starting position that fine is really affecting.

This is ****ing infuriating to me. Even Collinsworth called out the Skins, down by 2 scores, for not hustling. For ****s sake, it seems like they O doesn't give two ****s. Clock management is terrible. Terrible, I say. I can understand a 2nd year quarterback having growing pains, lack of talent effecting the result...but issues such as what you wrote above really get under my skin.

It almost seemed like they had resigned themselves to having to score, recover an onside kick, and score with the 2. They were almost boiling it down to that before it became necessary, forgetting that it might take 3 possessions to win that game. In the NE/NO game, the Patriots got the ball 3 times in the last 4-5 minutes. I would have preferred that they hustle and try to get a score as early as possible.

I get that you have to crawl before you can walk and it's not just a given we can go score a TD. But, we looked so smooth running the no-huddle to open the game, that I'm not sure why we didn't just re-run that script to get going.

Archived