Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Httr24/7- All-22: Breakdowns In The Dallas Defense Play To The Redskins Strengths

Lavarleap56

Over the last few days I've been asked a lot of questions, but one has been asked the most: How do you beat the Cowboys defense? That's an easy one for me to answer, test their LB discipline and Safety talent early and often. So far through 5 games the LB's are over aggressive in the run game which leaves them vulnerable to the play action pass, and the Safeties have been caught out of position while allowing big plays.Washington had a lot of success vs Dallas in 2012 relying on a strong run game, and play action passing that lead to explosive plays. Look for Washington to do the same Sunday Night in Dallas VS the Cowboys.

I sent out a tweet earlier in the day saying "Robert will go off this week"  and as I expected it was met with skepticism. But lets use the ALL-22 to look at  the Cowboys defensive issues and how they could help the Redskins offense find its comfort zone.

Personnel: Regular (2 WR- 1TE-2RB)

Defense: Cover 3

Nicks57C1a1.jpg

-Giants  use weak side play action to open up the strong side post route by baiting the LB’s towards the Line of scrimmage. Dallas is showing cover 2 pre-snap but will rotate into cover 1 post snap.

Nicks57C1b.jpg

-The top WR gets a fast outside release , this makes the CB have to turn and run with the WR since he can’t funnel him inside to the safety. The CB to the bottom of screen keeps his outside leverage and pushes the WR toward the has and his Safety help. The problem on this play is the LB’s and SS have sold out on Giants run action, leaving their secondary exposed for a big play.

Nicks57C1c.jpg

Continue Reading: http://httr24-7.com/film-room/all-22-breakdowns-in-the-dallas-defense-play-to-the-redskins-strengths/

Think the Play Action post should be open and available like it was last season if they choose to use it. I'm pretty sure we will see it a lot.

I'm actually thinking Hank gets a few of these targets. I'm also thinking JReed can catch a few up the seam.

LL, it seems to me that we've been throwing more short passes this year. We seem to do a lot of dink and dunk, with not a lot of throws outside the numbers, down the field. I'm probably answering my own question, but do you think this is because of a lack of confidence in pass pro, RG3s knee, or a combo of both?

We have had less explosive plays this year. It looks like all of our calls are designed for a quick release/short gain. Do you think Kyle opens it up a bit this week?

Our Oline can't block anybody and with RG3 playing with 1 and half legs, we're in big trouble.

Add to that our flag-football quality secondary and we're doomed. Sorry guys, it's gonna be ugly.

Just make sure you are here after the game Sunday Night when it's not.

I'm actually thinking Hank gets a few of these targets. I'm also thinking JReed can catch a few up the seam.

LL, it seems to me that we've been throwing more short passes this year. We seem to do a lot of dink and dunk, with not a lot of throws outside the numbers, down the field. I'm probably answering my own question, but do you think this is because of a lack of confidence in pass pro, RG3s knee, or a combo of both?

We have had less explosive plays this year. It looks like all of our calls are designed for a quick release/short gain. Do you think Kyle opens it up a bit this week?

Teams have done a good job taking away the PA post that was unstoppable last year. I haven't seen Dallas run some of the schemes that other teams have had success with, would be out of character for Kiffin to do so imo.. Dallas LB flow fast for the run, probably why they are one of the best teams in the league vs the run.But we know that fast flow opens up voids behind them, and the Shanahan offense is built to pull and attack LB's in coverage. You have to remember that the Shanahan's build all of their explosive pass plays off of play action, they don't build them off the straight drop game.

I think Garcon,Reed, and Helu should play big in the pass game.. 

Our Oline can't block anybody and with RG3 playing with 1 and half legs, we're in big trouble.

Add to that our flag-football quality secondary and we're doomed. Sorry guys, it's gonna be ugly.

Thank you for that incredible analysis... No need for small talk next time, just ask me If I would like paper or plastic and keep it moving.

Do we think that we will actually have to establish the run before succeeding in play action?

I have been having this sneaking suspicion, that we do not actually have to.

Everyone knows the Shanahan old formula of run to set up the pass, but against an aggressive defense, I contend you do not need to. DCs all remember we were the top rated run game last year. LBs bite. Its what they do.

I expect aerial shows vs the likes of Dallas and Denvers and want our offense able to score more quickly, and not have to run first. Morris is great but so are a few other players we have on offense.

If we are facing a defense that is easily exploited against the pass, isn't it kind of dumb to blindly run first? I want Kyle to attack weaknesses, pass out of our run heavy looks, and show new pass heavy looks e.g. 4 or 5 wide. See how Dallas reacts, since we know they haven't game planned to see it this week.

I bet its rare to happen but am intrigued by the idea of going play action until LBs stop buying into it, and then start running. My theory is the formula can go both ways.

I still expect the Dallas defense to try to do what everyone else seems to have done this year: set out to stop the run, and bring pressure up the middle on RGIII when they expect the pass, although from a reply in a different thread it seems their options for doing so have been limited so far to Ware stunting inside. It really is set up for RGIII to beat them with short passes, and Garcon gets plenty of YAC. The Dallas defense hasn't been good this year, and I've been encouraged by the last two games on offense, but it's past time this offense showed something in the first half, let alone the first quarter.

That said, our best hope for winning lies in Romo sits to pee's inconsistency. It's possible but by no means certain for Hall to keep Bryant relatively quiet, but that still leaves Witten, Miles Austin (probably) and Terrence Williams - there'll probably be a fight on the Dallas sidelines amongst their receivers to get on the field against our secondary. While their defense on paper looks to be a good matchup for us, our defense looks tailor-made for them too.

So the Reed-option pass plays should be a common sight this Sunday night.

Fixed it for ya. 

Do we think that we will actually have to establish the run before succeeding in play action?

I bet its rare to happen but am intrigued by the idea of going action until LBs stop buying into it, and then start running. My theory is the formula can go both ways.

Use the pass early to set up the run. 

Everyone knows the Shanahan old formula of run to set up the pass, but against an aggressive defense, I contend you do not need to. DCs all remember we were the top rated run game last year. LBs bite. Its what they do.

I expect aerial shows vs the likes of Dallas and Denvers and want our offense able to score more quickly, and not have to run first. Morris is great but so are a few other players we have on offense.

If we are facing a defense that is easily exploited against the pass, isn't it kind of dumb to blindly run first? I want Kyle to attack weaknesses, pass out of our run heavy looks, and show new pass heavy looks e.g. 4 or 5 wide. See how Dallas reacts, since we know they haven't game planned to see it this week.

I bet its rare to happen but am intrigued by the idea of going play action until LBs stop buying into it, and then start running. My theory is the formula can go both ways.

You're right, you don't really have to run the ball to be effective with the play action, but it does make PA more effective if you do. Kyle actually game plans against a defenses strength > weakness. Theory is most teams spend time during the week working on covering up their weaknesses, so having success attacking their strength opens up the defense quicker.

Shanahan offenses usually like to throw on 1st downs anyway. They believe the run game should average 5 yards a clip, so they can turn a 2nd-10 into a manageable 3rd & 5 with a 2nd down run if needed. That's the theory at least, hasn't always worked out like that in DC this year tho.  

Think Helu gets more touches than he did the first 3 games?

Dallas has given up a lot of yards to RB's in the pass game.. Think Helu gets a few more reps in the pass game over Alf.

I still expect the Dallas defense to try to do what everyone else seems to have done this year: set out to stop the run, and bring pressure up the middle on RGIII when they expect the pass, although from a reply in a different thread it seems their options for doing so have been limited so far to Ware stunting inside. It really is set up for RGIII to beat them with short passes, and Garcon gets plenty of YAC. The Dallas defense hasn't been good this year, and I've been encouraged by the last two games on offense, but it's past time this offense showed something in the first half, let alone the first quarter.

That said, our best hope for winning lies in Romo sits to pee's inconsistency. It's possible but by no means certain for Hall to keep Bryant relatively quiet, but that still leaves Witten, Miles Austin (probably) and Terrence Williams - there'll probably be a fight on the Dallas sidelines amongst their receivers to get on the field against our secondary. While their defense on paper looks to be a good matchup for us, our defense looks tailor-made for them too.

Dallas hasn't blitzed a lot this season, and hasn't been too effective when they do. They're mostly a zone team that lives or dies with pressure from their front 4. Could they blitz this game?: Sure, but I don't expect it too often. Kiffin hasn't shown he can defend the Read Option or PA off the Read Option. Alex Smith had a lot of success with it earlier in the season, and we all know how bad USC was  defending it under Kiffin. 

How do reverses and double reverses factor into the equation if the LBs are over-aggressive?

The Chiefs used a lot of Misdirection vs the Cowboys and it was very effective.. Backfield action stretches the LB's and stresses the Safeties. I think the Redskins will use a lot of the same this game. But it comes down to executing it and not just running it.

Gota' figure Kiffen will of gone over the tape from last year constantly planning for this. They won't want another Thanksgiving rgeardless of what they've shown thus far. 

Good job as always man. 

Hail. 

Maybe but he had all summer to plan against a run based PA offense in the New York Giants and the results speak for themselves. I don't think Dallas has the personnel to run his defense effectively on a consistent basis.  

LL, which offense will we see: the one from Thanksgiving or the one in Week 17? I think in Week 17 we were very conservative and just let Alf do all the damage on the ground with RG3 making plays when we needed him to. We were definitely more aggressive when we played them on Thanksgiving in route to RG3's huge game. Is there a sense we're going one way or the other or are we going to try and mix in a little of both?

Personally, I'd run Morris until he can't go anymore. He's been criminally underused so far and is due for a huge game. Yes Dallas is better this year against the run, but we're a run first team and play better when Morris is running well. Aren't we like 9-1 or something when Morris rushed 20+ times? Let's feed him the rock to open up plays for RG3/Garcon/Reed.

Of all things, the ONE  thing that will help the team tremendously is,  players selling their routes.  If they run their routes as if the ball is designed to come to them, it will be a big hurdle they overcame.

Of course, Dallas has film on the offense and vise versa; if Kyle can scheme a few plays differently, it will be a wide open game. One thing Dallas does is pursue and over-pursue; where speed can't be used, deception is second best and almost as effective, if used wisely.

LL, which offense will we see: the one from Thanksgiving or the one in Week 17? I think in Week 17 we were very conservative and just let Alf do all the damage on the ground with RG3 making plays when we needed him to. We were definitely more aggressive when we played them on Thanksgiving in route to RG3's huge game. Is there a sense we're going one way or the other or are we going to try and mix in a little of both?

Personally, I'd run Morris until he can't go anymore. He's been criminally underused so far and is due for a huge game. Yes Dallas is better this year against the run, but we're a run first team and play better when Morris is running well. Aren't we like 9-1 or something when Morris rushed 20+ times? Let's feed him the rock to open up plays for RG3/Garcon/Reed.

You hear that RB stat a lot but what does it really mean? Your RB gets more carries when you have a lead in the second half or the 4th quarter of a ball game. He could have 12 carries through 50 minutes of the game and then run 8 consecutive times to run out the clock to secure the win. Alf will get more carries as the Skins get more leads. 

I think we will see some new wrinkles on offense but mostly the same offense we saw on Thanksgiving. Dallas looks like a great opponent to work the Zone Read play action game.

You hear that RB stat a lot but what does it really mean? Your RB gets more carries when you have a lead in the second half or the 4th quarter of a ball game. He could have 12 carries through 50 minutes of the game and then run 8 consecutive times to run out the clock to secure the win. Alf will get more carries as the Skins get more leads. 

I think we will see some new wrinkles on offense but mostly the same offense we saw on Thanksgiving. Dallas looks like a great opponent to work the Zone Read play action game.

Good point about the rushing attempts. I'd be fine with the Thanksgiving offense showing up seeing as I have RG3/Garcon on my fantasy team haha.

I'm expecting a pretty high scoring game. Both teams will be in the 30s or pushing the 30s. I have no idea if we're going to win or not. But this team usually seems to play well when no one is giving them a chance. Maybe this will be the game that gets them going again.

Archived