Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Msn: Elementary School Cancels Halloween Due To 'religious Overtones'

visionary

http://now.msn.com/inglewood-elementary-school-in-pennsylvania-cancels-halloween-due-to-religious-overtones

Elementary school cancels Halloween due to 'religious overtones'

Put that Angry Birds costume back in the closet, kid, because Halloween is canceled. That's the word from one Pennsylvania elementary school, whose principal has taken Halloween off the calendar due to its "religious overtones." Orlando Taylor, the principal of Inglewood Elementary School in Towamencin Township, about 30 miles outside Philadelphia, sent a letter to parents telling them that "some holidays observed in the community that are considered by many to be secular (ex. Halloween, Thanksgiving and Valentine's Day) are viewed by others as having religious overtones." Because of this, Taylor has canned the school's Halloween parties, costumes and other celebrations. "It is understandable that academics must come first," one angry parent wrote. "However there should also be opportunities for students to have fun and get the chance to celebrate … American traditions as opposed to stripping them all away."

For what it's worth, people who don't work in elementary schools generally don't have a grasp of what a train wreck Halloween can be.  My school intentionally avoids celebrating it as well.  It just becomes a mess for elementary school teachers.  We've had first graders telling other first graders that people who celebrate Halloween are going to hell, and you can imagine how well that goes over.

I'm actually in favor of letting the kids have some fun, but it's a huge hassle, and I don't blame any school administrator for deciding it's not worth it.

Tens of thousands of whacky Christians and dozens of whacky secularists have been spazzing over all things Halloween for years. Why is this being treated like something that is actually.....oh yeah...never mind. :P

Go team!  :lol:

Another example of a minority of people being offended through a perspective the vast majority does not share and trying to impose their misguided will on everyone else. Where else have I seen that lately?

You have seen this whenever there is a minority and a majority.  In some cases you may have silly claims of being offended, in other cases you may have legitimate cases of minorities demanding equal treatment.

In this case, man what a strange decision.  Everything can be said to have "religious overtines".  Celebrations are not the problem, bro.

Just saw on GMA: an injunction has been filed to keep a family in Silver Spring, MD from constructing their "Haunted Garden".  It's a pretty big display, complete with a cemetery section.  Supposedly, folks come from all around to see it, and it causes unwanted traffic in the neighborhood.  (Kinda like Christmas lights, let me guess, we get rid of those next?) The family has a lawyer and all the neighborhood kids on their side.  I hope they win & continue their tradition...it's really impressive.

Interesting...as far as I knew..Halloween is a part of a Christian celebration...All Hallows Eve followed by All Saints Day. Yet there are Christians that are protesting Halloween as being evil...

My advice to them would be to stop watching movies and educate themselves...

Maybe someone should do an experiment and tell them who was first born on Dec. 25....and that most likely Jesus was born in the Spring...better yet we need a bunch of movies made about it...

I never saw Thanksgiving as one either. 

Some people try to make it that, but for me...football, family, and food.

I think they were trying to point out that Thanksgiving wasn't religious..

But they threw Halloween in there which to many religions isn't secular.

I really wish someone would publish a list of which groups are currently not to be offended and what offends them. It would make things easier.

Dear lord that list would be HUGE. Seems almost everyone is offended by something...

I'm so glad I'm not part of today's kid generation.  Can't do anything.  It's either offensive or too dangerous.

For what it's worth, people who don't work in elementary schools generally don't have a grasp of what a train wreck Halloween can be.  My school intentionally avoids celebrating it as well.  It just becomes a mess for elementary school teachers.  We've had first graders telling other first graders that people who celebrate Halloween are going to hell, and you can imagine how well that goes over.

I'm actually in favor of letting the kids have some fun, but it's a huge hassle, and I don't blame any school administrator for deciding it's not worth it.

Wow, I can't imagine that happening.  That's insane at that age.  You can thank parents for that.

A recent survey of 3 covens in New England found that 90% of Wiccans find nothing offensive in Halloween celebrations and want the tradition to continue, most stating that eliminating it would mean erasing their heritage from part of the American consciousness.

You do realize that like most religious holidays, they are shared by many different types of religions right?

A recent survey of 3 covens in New England found that 90% of Wiccans find nothing offensive in Halloween celebrations and want the tradition to continue, most stating that eliminating it would mean erasing their heritage from part of the American consciousness.

Yeah, but a Style Section journalist insists that Halloween needs to be banned since he knows better than those Wiccans what is offensive to them.

I live for October 1 through December 25. I love this time of year and the 3 major holidays that occur during this period are my favorites. I cannot imagine growing up without being inundated with Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas spirit.

The longer I'm around, the happier I am that my childhood occurred when it did. I had the glory years of the Redskins and the ability to openly celebrate things that made me happy.

Archived