Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wp: Raheem Morris: No Excuses For Redskins’ Db Struggles

Gymratfwp

Interesting article in the WP today regards our much maligned secondary...

A couple of good nuggets in there, the one that caught my eye was with  R. Morris speaking of what role Biggers has played so far...

On backup E.J. Biggers, who followed Morris here from Tampa:

“He’s become such an insurance package for me. I don’t know if you guys noticed, but this past week, he played five different positions for me. He played right corner, left corner, nickel and safety. Both safety positions. He’s so valuable. Whoever gets hurt, he goes in. He has his role that he starts for us in. He’s going to go out there and get better and better in all those roles because he’s so smart and he’s so detailed and he’s into it. He loves football. He’s not afraid – the thing we just talked about – he’s not afraid about going out there and making a mistake, because that can’t happen. You can’t have coaches that are afraid to put those guys out there. Those [fearless] types of guys are the kind of guys that step up and help you win championships and help turn things around here.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/10/04/raheem-morris-no-excuses-for-redskins-db-struggles/

Morris certainly talks a good game...heard him on Redskins Nation today speaking about Amerson, Meriweather and Rambo.  Whether this translates to effective coaching is another issue.

And...who is in charge of the players utilized and playcalling on the D anyhow?  Is Morris making the calls on D?  Or am I reading to much into this?

E.J. Biggers. Jack of all trades. Master of none. 

Good to see Morris not shirking responsibility. Seems a stand up guy. The less said about his coaching ability the better. 

Hail. 

Sheesh GHH, you've been in a mood lately, did all the pubs there close or what?

I really do not understand why Morris gets a pass. Comparing comments in here to the Haslett thread, the majority of Redskins Nation has decided that the worst secondary in the history of the nfl has nothing to do with the secondary coach

Some would even like to see him inherit the defense

Sort of interesting

I really do not understand why Morris gets a pass. Comparing comments in here to the Haslett thread, the majority of Redskins Nation has decided that the worst secondary in the history of the nfl has nothing to do with the secondary coach

Sort of interesting

Or bat **** crazy dependent on your view point given the above and his tenure as the Buccs HC when he managed the unique feat of turning the whole playing staff against him. 

Hail. 

Sort of interesting

This was quite entertaining last year during certain speculation.

Sort of interesting

Agree completely - both he and Haz need to go...this D and this secondary is as weak as I can remember it ever being before.

This was quite entertaining last year during certain speculation.

And that's ALL it ever was and will be.  Speculation.  My buddies and I call it bull****ting around.

On the interent it's something different apparently.

I don't know if getting a pass is what happens with Morris (lord knows his safeties can't)

I think the secondary, safety positions in particular are the biggest losers in the whole salary cap penalty.

Merriwether is unreliable, Doughty has to stay, and even though we spent 3 draft picks on the secondary, they're still only rookies bound to play like rookies (those that are not on IR, anyway).

the picks are nice for the future, but the here and now.. we're unable to replace unreliable or underperforming players on the open market.

They're behind the 8 ball before they even get on the field, and it's something that is a holdover problem for a few years.

~Bang

We might be the only fan base I know of that thinks we need a Sean Taylor at safety to avoid being the worst defense in the league.  We also always think we are one player away from being in the super bowl.

Bang, you hit the nail on the head.  The pics are nice for the future....

If you draft well every year, and continue to follow that process, eventually you won't need to rely on free agency or a draft to have a solid roster.

We have drafted basically 3 out of the last 25 years.

And we wonder why we have roster problems.

100% agree.  Last year when this defense played well, Morris got the credit and none of the blame for this poor start. 

I'm going for 1 scenario.  Rex Ryan gets fired from Jets, accepts DC job from Redskins.  He's an average coach, but his defensive units are outstanding.  He has kept the Jets in games when Mark Sanchez was throwing pick 6's + 2 giving up 2 fumbles a game. But I agree with the most of others.  Morris doesn't get a pass.  Neither does Haslett.  I like a DC that can keep us in games when our O isn't playing all that great.  With Haz/Morris, unless our offense gets off to a huge lead, we have no chance to rely on our defense to make stops because it's just not going too unless we are playing Eli Manning.  

Based on our defensive play (which has been pretty offensive), and the history of the Haz led defenses (which has been posted in other threads), I am all for Haz being shown the door.   

With Morris I am not as sure.....just not sure who is actually in charge of this D.....is Haz a micromanager who does not vary from what he wants, or is Morris allowed leeway on his secondary?   

I will agree, though, that Morris would not necessarily be my first pick for replacement D if/when Haz is shown the door.

And....I certainly enjoy BS sessions as much as anyone when chatting about my team.  Who knows, some of us may be closer to the truth than we think.....

We might be the only fan base I know of that thinks we need a Sean Taylor at safety to avoid being the worst defense in the league. We also always think we are one player away from being in the super bowl.

Bang, you hit the nail on the head. The pics are nice for the future....

If you draft well every year, and continue to follow that process, eventually you won't need to rely on free agency or a draft to have a solid roster.

We have drafted basically 3 out of the last 25 years.

And we wonder why we have roster problems.

Very, very well put.

I'm going for 1 scenario.  Rex Ryan gets fired from Jets, accepts DC job from Redskins.  He's an average coach, but his defensive units are outstanding.  He has kept the Jets in games when Mark Sanchez was throwing pick 6's + 2 giving up 2 fumbles a game. But I agree with the most of others.  Morris doesn't get a pass.  Neither does Haslett.  I like a DC that can keep us in games when our O isn't playing all that great.  With Haz/Morris, unless our offense gets off to a huge lead, we have no chance to rely on our defense to make stops because it's just not going too unless we are playing Eli Manning.  

I really hope this happens.  It makes you wonder how Mike and Rex would get along though... Ryan is very outspoken and I'm not sure Mike likes that too much.  Would make for interesting press conferences, that's for sure! :)

The safety position is key to me. with the  lack of plays coming from that position and  the lack of coverage support has caused the cb's to play the greatly hated off coverage way.  The cb's could be more aggressive if they could trust the safteys to back'em up.  I ask you all if you agree and explain why or why not you agree or don't.   We need to make a trade for another safety,  The answer for the other safety position isn't on this roster in my opinion.   I originally thought of Byrd but now theres this  issue with the bottom of his foot which could end his career early.  Merriwethher  himself isn't tackleing very well and I haven't seen him help much in coverage.  Next year I say try, try and replace all oline positions except Trent and also we will need a fast mlb. a number 1 Cb. and safety if we don't trade this year for one.   well that's my thought HTTR

Archived