Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chalk Talk: Rush Outside Backers And Our Dilemma

KDawg

Yes, not resigning Orakpo will leave a whole that Jackson alone will not fill. I wanted opinions on whether the defense could improve more quickly if we didn't have to completely upgrade the supporting cast by moving to more hybrid OLB play.

The other players mentioned don't directly affect defense but rather limit the ammo to upgrade the supporting cast. For what it's worth, I don't think the Skins have replaced the level of play from Carriker; Hankerson hasn't shown he's a #2; and none of the others have shown yet that they can play well enough to stick on the team. Yes, they can be backups but we need upgrades.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread with this one question and my offseason musings should be postponed until the dead of winter.

Yes, not resigning Orakpo will leave a whole that Jackson alone will not fill. I wanted opinions on whether the defense could improve more quickly if we didn't have to completely upgrade the supporting cast by moving to more hybrid OLB play.

The other players mentioned don't directly affect defense but rather limit the ammo to upgrade the supporting cast. For what it's worth, I don't think the Skins have replaced the level of play from Carriker; Hankerson hasn't shown he's a #2; and none of the others have shown yet that they can play well enough to stick on the team. Yes, they can be backups but we need upgrades.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread with this one question and my offseason musings should be postponed until the dead of winter.

to be perfectly honest, I think that assuming that we need upgrades, that no one on the roster can step up does assume front office incompetence.

That's a bit harsh considering:

1. Skins gave up  2nd round and first round picks already plus next year's first round pick just to move up to acquire RGIII.  That's a lot of potential talent that's not on the team.

2. FInally, 18million for each of the last two years could have been used for quite a few additional players.   

Archived